Neon

Last movie you saw.

The Avengers (2012)
Much too long and empty while riddled with lazy dialogue and stupid events. It's as if they didn't even try to make anything believable. Oddly paced too. Some sequences drag on and on and on and others are gone in a flash. Acting was bad. The only people who knew what they were doing were the guys on the animation/CGI team, but those nifty effects alone don't make a good film. Especially if those effects are at times very distracting or don't make sense or simply don't add anything to the plot or shallow characters. 3/10

Murder by Contract (1958)
Very good. Only complaint is the ending because it looked a little 'simple' and it wasn't entirely satisfying. Great characters, great pace, great atmosphere, a very simple but effective soundtrack, 8/10

You Only Live Once (1937)
This one ends up just on the edge of a positive or negative rating. I liked the events and several of the characters but as a whole it felt a bit empty. Not very lively, rather stale and it lacks atmosphere and tension... ehhh I'll give it a negative rating anyway. 5/10

The Tree of Life (2011)

Much love to the beautiful creation of the universe/evolution sequence. A little bit disappointed that this didn't last longer but I will regardless remember this sequence as one of the most beautiful moments in film I've ever seen. I expected a more 'obscure' plot as I went into this film but it ended up to be surprisingly coherent. My only complaint is that sometime just over halfway in the film things went on for a bit too long. If it was just a little shorter that would've probably helped a great deal of the moviegoers to keep paying attention. 9/10

Night of the Living Dead (1968)

Oh, that zombie classic. I was annoyed by the run-away-and-trip cliches and several decisions made by characters, but I guess the latter were needed to create this film anyway. Black and white is still the way to go with this film because I feel the several colorized versions out there decrease the level of mystery, horror and tension created by the B&W. 6/10

Society

Loved how it kept getting weirder and weirder, really fun "kinda-horror" movie with lots of hilarious stuff. Props to the special effects dept too! 8D

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
Timeless horror/sci-fi adventure that never weakens. Very enjoyable. Immersive plot and characters. Even the tacked on prologue and epilogue do not bring this down. 8/10

It (1927)
Silent picture in which Clara Bow stars as the girl that has 'it'. Cute film with plenty of laughs and things to enjoy. During the second half there were some stupid character decisions that bothered me because they seemed... well, too stupid to fit the characters. Still a nice film though. Also, this has cameras that zoom in on people. I don't recall seeing that in any film made before this one. 6/10

Crossfire (1947)

Film noir-esque entertainment with an excellent cast. Some stereotyped characters but they didn't bother me very much. A murder has been commited on a stranger and a group of friends are (almost) all suspects. It didn't start as a special film but as the plot thickened it surprised me and eventually ended up being better than I assumed. Good. 7/10

Fa yeung nin wa (In the Mood for Love) (2000)
No villains, no murders, no great action scenes and no big mysteries. Just an atmospheric portrayal of two people's lives as they start spending time together when they each suspect their husbands of cheating. A perfect film. Breathtaking visuals, beautiful soundtrack, exceptional acting, brilliant directing. To take such a simple story and create something magical. You'd be crazy not to see this sometime. 10/10

Amazing Spider-man

i watched it at the middle to the end yesterday. it takes me few months to watch it after playing it from a mobile phone. i watched the behind the scenes today.

Demon Seed

Classic "monster birth" type of horror with a dash of techno-fear; wondering how I didn't watch it before. Was pretty aight!

The Stranger (1946)
Some weaker moments found its way into this towards the end but it was still a very nice film. Edward G. Robinson plays a detective in pursuit of a former Nazi whom he wishes to capture and have put on trial. That former Nazi is played by Orson Welles, who also directed the film. Thrilling noir-esque drama that is definitely worth watching. Just look out you don't watch a bad quality copy of this because it's been in the public domain for a long time and many terrible copies are in circulation on the internet. 7/10

Ice Age: Continental Drift (2012)

This fourth film in the Ice Age series has both terrible and terrific moments. It has to be said though that the terrific moments are just very funny... and nothing else. The plot is shallow and mostly an excuse to create ridiculous action sequences, the new characters are unimaginative and some of them really got on my nerves and the dialogue is often lazy and uninvolving. For all the bad things there are a couple of really good laughs as compensation but it's just not enough to give this a positive rating. 5/10

Shurayukihime (or Lady Snowblood) (1973)
Completely ridiculous Japanese b-movie with some severed limbs and bloody executions performed by none other than Meiko Kaji in the leading role. The plot is about as simple as it gets. A woman in prison dies just after giving birth to a child who then undergoes excessive training in order to avenge her mother and other innocent people. Finding and killing the wrongdoers is all there is to it. The film doesn't take itself too seriously and I think that's what saved it. Depending on how well you can adapt yourself to something like this it's probably either a 3/10 or 6/10 (that's what it was for me) on the entertainment scale.

V/H/S 2

I couldn't finish the first movie cuz lol so boring, but this one was kinda okay. A horror anthology of the hand-held cam variety (made up of pretty cliché elements) but it was entertaining at least.

Man of Steel

Never liked superman but watching this as a movie in general, I found it above average at best. Too many illogical moments and action sequences relying too much on set pieces.

White House Down

Straight up fun action flick. Want to watch a movie with your brain turned off and just enjoy the ride? This is for you.

The Place Beyond the Pines

great movie, Mike Patton did the soundtrack for this

Iron Man 3

decent movie but the bad guys were horrible and uninteresting, I saw this in 3D so the action sequences were pretty cool

The Place Beyond the Pines

great movie, Mike Patton did the soundtrack for this

highly recommended imo. great story and great actors. i love all these independent ryan gosling movies.

They Drive by Night (1940)
This is a great film until the end when things get a bit odd. The cast is great (George Raft, Humphrey Bogart, Ida Lupino, Ann Sheridan) as well as their acting. The plot, the atmosphere and the dialogue with bits of comedy thrown in are all top notch... all up until the end. It's like they didn't know how to end this. Could've been an 8/10 but now it's just a 6/10.

Toy Story 3 (2010)
Finally saw this one and now I don't quite understand the praise it got. It borrows a lot from Toy Story 2 and leans too much on nostalgia of the viewer. It's just a rollercoaster ride with references to the previous installments of the series. It's not bad, but not that great either. 6/10.

Pacific Rim

This movie is an absolute awesome sauce. This is how a popcorn flick should be done. I came out of the theater with man tears. Go see it! I'm going for a 2nd watch.

Red Dragon

Not bad, it was better than what I expected. Was good to see Sir Anthony Hopkins again as Hannibal. :)

I'll probably watch Hannibal Rising soon too, tho I heard it's kinda shitty.

Man of steel

this one was typical summer fun

Despicable Me 1

FUN FUN and FUN , loved all of it

The Thomas Crown Affair (1968)
Rich man (Steve McQueen) plans bank robberies. Attractive lady (Faye Dunaway) who works as an investigator for an insurance company gets on his tail. Slick and stylish and better than the remake from 1999 with Pierce Brosnan as the lead actor... but that film is also pretty good. It includes a couple of embarrasing and amateurish scenes, but they're in the minority and in the end the film is rewarding and worth watching. 7/10

To The Wonder (2012)

There is definitely a connection with The Tree of Life, Malick's previous film, but it's not a sequel in the general meaning of the term. It contains breathtaking visuals of various scenery and very little dialogue while still providing a comprehensive plot. It may be considered Malick's 'worst' film to date, but even then it's a refreshing and rewarding experience.

I was surprised at how great Olga Kurylenko's acting talent actually is. There is no question she is a beautiful woman but her acting in this film was equally beautiful. That makes it a bit of a shame that there were some very revealing scenes in this... as if we weren't already convinced of her good looks! Aside from some unnecessary nudity I have no other criticism on this. It's well balanced, easy to follow and pleasing to both the eye and the mind. It's very good. 8/10

Touch of Evil (1958)

THAT OPENING SEQUENCE! Is stunning! I had watched this before but that wasn't the 'reconstructed' version. This one is slightly longer clocking at 111 minutes and supposedly editted to undo the changes made by the studio that Orson Welles' wished had never taken place. This film is so much fun. It tackles serious matters with humor and razorsharp scenes so incredibly well... I recommend Touch of Evil to everyone because it's impossible not to enjoy this film. 9/10

Pacific Rim

Just saw that today in IMAX at the Science Center.

While plot wise it wasn't anything super amazing it still was giant robots beating the shit out of giant monsters. AWESOME!

There's some things I didn't like and I think this movie would have been better off as a mini series of some sort but ehh, I say that about a lot of things actually haha. Just felt there was some gaps in characters and so forth, I wanted to know more about the other pilots but their roles were so limited. 

Spoilers

I guess my complaint is we had a cool robot from China and some cool lookin robot from Russia and they die so quickly. Awwwww! The ending should have been like an epic battle with all four robots and then those two could die in the final fight to make it more dramatic. MORE ROBOTS AND MORE MONSTERS! One big fight of epic robotic monster smashing fun! Oh well, I mean it was still cool BUT COULD HAVE BEEN BETTER!

GO BIG OR GO HOME DEL TORO!

Ohhh and we all agreed that Miko or Mako or Maru or whatever her name is, was boring and basically played the gross fetishized western image of a Japanese women.