colorful人生

What are you watching (on YouTube)?

I completely forgot about this guy. Going from YouTube sensation to guy who makes Tik Tok vids for, lets face it, the CCP (by extension) is quite depressing. Also, when Dexter broke out the fucking Mandarin after only hearing his Japanese on Vice for the past few years... He's fluent in Japanese and Mandarin, goddamn.

BONUS:

Spoiler

thanks joel

Edited by colorful人生

I've been contemplating the idea of doing a visual kei MV upscale, since I have the software and experience w/ ffmpeg. Only problem is that I have to do the upscale in 2500~ frame chunks b/c that's as far as Gigapixel AI will let me. Additionally, on my PC that set of 2500~ images takes a whole day (for 2x) b/c each image is upscaled one at a time, not in batch. I still want to do it, but might consult w/ the rest of the forum for an .iso rip of a popular dvd mv, so it's worth it.

I kinda knew the obvious about fast-fashion (quantity > quality + high fashion rips) prior to watching this, but a lot of the other details were eye-opening. I don't believe I own a single piece of "fast fashion" clothing unless it's like nu-GAP stuff (GAP inc. recently dipping their toes in that market b/c of sales losses), namely b/c I'm generally OOTL and I like plain stuff. Do people really go through 80 lbs of clothes a year ?! I throw away undergarments, but goddamn I have 7~8+ year old articles of clothing that are still good b/c I take care of them. 

Might be a bit contrarian considering vk is very fashion centric (and fans possibly by association), but I lean very hard towards functionality/quality over relevancy. I figure it's easier as a guy b/c I find a lot of women's brands even non-fast-fashion are already trying to cheap-out from the get-go, like including fake pockets. Are there any "durable" women's brands that don't break the bank, but stay relevant design-wise?

Edited by colorful人生

I've been listening to Brendaniel's weird fanfic/Chuck Tingle readings while playing Tetris. I highly recommend it. Also been watching a lot of SuperMega. Again, highly recommend.

At first I thought Shuma's image was a bit too "cool" for Jack Caper, but these days I can see why they picked him. Lol, this alone.

I mean, he did a pretty good job, all things considered.

Edited by violetchain

...which led me to the original song...

The first video surprised me b/c I swore up and down it sounded like a vk song. Turns out Asaki was the vocalist+guitarist of the band Blanc Neige before doing Beatmania stuff w/ Konami. I need to spend some time sifting through his discog, since I'm not willing to shell out $15/month for beatmania IIDX INFINITAS (to play on PC.) I think I've played at least one of his tracks on Pop'n for PSP, so I need to pick that game up again.

Edited by colorful人生

Overjoyed is easily in my top 100 (both the Nathan East ver. and Stevie's.) The harpejji has such a unique, almost synthy guitar sound that's really lovely to listen to. Of course, as the super-ultra-hyper-mega-meta fan of Jacob, I saw this on Twitter, but now I'm watching it again on YT :-). 

I only took a glance at the live runs, but I missed out on Wind Waker. Watching the VOD b/c I've followed WW and OOT runs for several years now (actually I'm just a huge speedrun fan in general.)

I've pretty much followed the channel since their inception, and urbex will always be ultra-cool to me. They've built up enough of a following to where they can feasibly do trips out to China, Japan, etc. now and it's mesmerizing to watch. 

I'm, uhh, guilty of having this mindset myself so this was interesting to me.

I currently live in a small bedsit and whenever anyone walks past my room and I'm listening to something I would consider "weird" (which is... most of my music, not to sound all #notlikeothergirlsuwu but whatever), I turn it down and put my bed covers over my laptop mic so they don't hear it. I really gotta break that habit. I mean... yeah, so fuckin' what if I like Moran? As I'm sure many here will agree, they kicked ass. So what if I wanna listen to something completely different to Moran? Even if it's not my usual genre, it doesn't matter... that's what I tell myself anyways but the truth is, I care way too much about what others think of me. It ain't good. :(

I watched the episode of "Otaku in tha Hood" with Shaka Bose recently. The series is kind of like MTV Cribs for Japanese rappers, but a lot of the artists they cover are not very well known, so their homes aren't very impressive.

Shaka Bose's is kind of interesting because he shares a home with a bunch of other musicians that he collabs with. Their individual rooms just basically look like tiny student dorms, but it's kind of cute.

Edited by violetchain

30 minutes ago, violetchain said:

I watched the episode of "Otaku in tha Hood" with Shaka Bose recently. The series is kind of like MTV Cribs for Japanese rappers, but a lot of the artists they cover are not very well known, so their homes aren't very impressive.

Shaka Bose's is kind of interesting because he shares a home with a bunch of other musicians that he collabs with. Their individual rooms just basically look like tiny student dorms, but it's kind of cute.

Really cool series, not updated enough, but I really liked the Kowichi one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDV4s9c9sfQ

Not going to embed w/ the thumbnail b/c the whole title + face thing can be off-putting. I've followed laowhy & serpentza for several years now, and they do a pretty good job in this China Unscripted interview about the current state of affairs (in addition to their own experiences) in regards to the CCP and Coronavirus "soft power" narrative that the party is pushing. I would watch the whole thing if you have the time because it pretty well summarizes their content for the past couple years.

Both the individuals interviewed here have their own, joint channel called ADV China. Again, the thumbnail clickbait stuff can induce snap-judgement compared to their actual content, which is quite concise and much broader than the title suggests. ADV China's latest video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdy12Puoo68

-

Edited by colorful人生

Delayedthony Albumtano here, the internet's most quarantined music nerd

Advanced issue found

Spoiler

Insert X Japan album joke here