Himeaimichu

Traditional Arts, Craft, Clothing and Music from around the world

So this thread is for anything relating to traditional art forms. Whether it's stuff you listen to, or stuff you actively partake in, this is the thread for it.

One of my autistic special interests is the traditional music of Asia, and as of recently, I've been listening to a lot of traditional Thai music. I just think all the instruments sound cool. The first video is a traditional Lanna region song, while the 2nd is a Piphat ensemble (Piphat refers to a kind of wind and percussion ensemble that originated in Cambodia, but was brought to Thailand and became the royal music)

Spoiler

Another special interest I've been binge reading on (and discussed in chat) is the indigenous peoples of Southeast Asia. Specifically, the ones who influenced and were influenced by Vietnamese culture. Although today, Vietnamese Arts seems to resemble that of China, in the past, it wasn't like that. People wore turbans, blackened their teeth (not unlike Japan. Teeth blackening can be found as far as the Solomon Islands, whose people are distantly related to Philipinos, Malays, and Polynesians), facial tattooing, and indigo-dyed fabric with traditional embroidery. As well, historically, Vietnam was matriarchal, and this is reflected in the fact that one of the first national heroes in Vietnamese history, was a female general known for having giant tits, riding an elephant and defeating the Chinese. Elements of this culture still remains in the indigenous people, such as the Shan (Also known as "Thai" in Vietnam, but not to be confused with their relative, the Thai people of, well, Thailand), Tay, Hmong, Mien, Lolo, Khmu, and Muong, whom along with Viets, were part of the Baiyue, a conglomeration of tribes who inhabited Southern China in the BC era. Why doesn't Vietnam culturally resemble it's neighbors anymore? Because in the 1800's, the Nguyen Emperors took power, and decided to force everyone to wear Chinese clothes (as opposed to just the officials), completing the Sinicization process that slowly began in the Medieval era.

Spoiler

2470e2ace08abd31d195fc65dfa832e4.jpga632e3e249f8e6709cb5c2166a63878e.jpg

e448414dafc290f8b2513ac3495664b2.jpg

Edited by Himeaimichu

@YuyoDrift asked for some Korean music that doesn't suck, so I'm gonna deliver.

IDK what the specific name for this type of ensemble, but it's related to Japanese Gagaku music (the stuff you hear in the Okami games). It's not Aak, since that's reserved for confucian rituals.

EDIT: It's Jeongak music. I forgot that pretty much all "high class" traditional Korean music that isn't ritual music, is lumped under Jeongak.

Spoiler

Edited by Himeaimichu