Fyrnia4Maya

Difference between male and female vkei fans?

I often see people referring to bands and music tendencies as "leaning towards male/female fanbases" and/or the amount of people in concerts and all that

What are the differences in tastes between male and female vkei fans in the bands we listen? 

isn’t vk in general marketed towards teenage girls?  it seems like a v big chunk of vk fans are teen girls or were when they got into it.

4 minutes ago, God said:

isn’t vk in general marketed towards teenage girls?  it seems like a v big chunk of vk fans are teen girls or were when they got into it.

I think they may be referring to the fandom as a whole, which I suppose MH would fall into as well.

If I'm reading this right, you're trying to make distinctions as to why VK (and the artists we follow, more specifically) is appealing by old/new fans, and want to specifically correlate the various reasons provided down to the 2 sexes (stay back you others, we don't know what they mean yet)?

I don't think the answers will be so cut/dry as "X" likes this, and "Y" likes that , as you think they'll be. Too many factors at play.

I’d say the female fans are attached to the looks of the band men. I’m not saying they’re wrong tho I mean most bandmen are really pretty IMO.

I’d say the male fans are more into the music than the style.

Edited by psychonnect_rozen

45 minutes ago, God said:

Most of the bangya accounts I follow on Instagram are usually teenage girls. 

I’d say Visual Kei is a mixed bag when it comes to genders. It’s just that female fans are the more interested ones for many reasons 

oh ok, i get it.

i think i fall somewhere in between being in it for pretty androgynous guys and being in it for the music.  both aspects to me are great, 10/10.  but i don’t really learn bandoman names a lot.  i can def say that the girls are way more into it than i am when it comes to that kind of thing.  

i'm not sure how much this contributes but i was discussing something recently with a friend that it seemed male vk fans posted more about the collecting factor of vk, but girls mostly posted their 2 shot or cheki, etc. 

i found that (unshockingly) more male vk fans appeared at shows with more aggressive-sounding bands

In my personal experience with 90% of my irl friends being into the scene, it's a 50/50 ratio when it comes to the music. BUT must guys I know who like VK are also into girl bands such as Band Maid or Scandal and/or female vocals like Fuki, whereas the ratio of women into female vocals is, in my experience, way smaller.

When it comes to posting appearance-related content I see far more girls fawning over VK dudes than men. When it comes to collecting CDs/merch I see much more men into it (yet I see more girls collecting cheki, overall). I'm leaning towards saying most men are firstly into the music/overall performances and it's harder for them to stan a bandman just on looks, while MANY girls are mainly into some dude's looks and don't care much about the music (I do see this reflected in Japan fans rather tan overseas fans, but still).

I'd say VK IS marketed towards teenage girls the same reason Idols are marketed to appeal to the average Japanese man, but when you are overseas and not actively going to gigs/events I'd say it changes a bit and I wouldn't say men in the west feel they donmt belong in the Vk scene or are uncomfortable in it the way men in Japan might (as far as I've read here, many prefer to remain internet fans).

I also feel LGBT+ people relate to VK on a bit of a deeper level than cis/straight people. BUT this is only a personal perception based on people I know, can't speak for everyone here.

2 minutes ago, Komorebi said:

In my personal experience with 90% of my irl friends being into the scene, it's a 50/50 ratio when it comes to the music. BUT must guys I know who like VK are also into girl bands such as Band Maid or Scandal and/or female vocals like Fuki, whereas the ratio of women into female vocals is, in my experience, way smaller.

When it comes to posting appearance-related content I see far more girls fawning over VK dudes than men. When it comes to collecting CDs/merch I see much more men into it (yet I see more girls collecting cheki, overall). I'm leaning towards saying most men are firstly into the music/overall performances and it's harder for them to stan a bandman just on looks, while MANY girls are mainly into some dude's looks and don't care much about the music (I do see this reflected in Japan fans rather tan overseas fans, but still).

I'd say VK IS marketed towards teenage girls the same reason Idols are marketed to appeal to the average Japanese man, but when you are overseas and not actively going to gigs/events I'd say it changes a bit and I wouldn't say men in the west feel they donmt belong in the Vk scene or are uncomfortable in it the way men in Japan might (as far as I've read here, many prefer to remain internet fans).

I also feel LGBT+ people relate to VK on a bit of a deeper level than cis/straight people. BUT this is only a personal perception based on people I know, can't speak for everyone here.

I'd be inclined to think that most band members freak out when guys are into them or come onto them, but I may very well be wrong.

1 minute ago, secret_no_03 said:

I'd be inclined to think that most band members freak out when guys are into them or come onto them, but I may very well be wrong.

I have no idea really, but if they are selling the whole boyfriend fantasy they might freak a little if a dude comes for a 2shot lol

I did see a fair amount of dudes at the lynch. instore last year, but that was just a sign event.

Just now, Komorebi said:

I have no idea really, but if they are selling the whole boyfriend fantasy they might freak a little if a dude comes for a 2shot lol

I did see a fair amount of dudes at the lynch. instore last year, but that was just a sign event.

I mean, generally speaking you'd never know unless they're like OUT, the vast majority of male fans probably look up to/idol worship them more than being outright attracted to them.

1 minute ago, secret_no_03 said:

I mean, generally speaking you'd never know unless they're like OUT, the vast majority of male fans probably look up to/idol worship them more than being outright attracted to them.

Lol, I just processed you said "come onto" and meant into as in... into THEM lmao. 

Yeah, considering most of them are straight and a few are even openly homophobic I'd bet it does freak them out.

1 minute ago, Komorebi said:

Lol, I just processed you said "come onto" and meant into as in... into THEM lmao. 

Yeah, considering most of them are straight and a few are even openly homophobic I'd bet it does freak them out.

Oh God, is "coming onto" someone no longer a phrase for flirting? 

3 minutes ago, secret_no_03 said:

Oh God, is "coming onto" someone no longer a phrase for flirting? 

It is, I'm just multitasking and I half-assed my reading lmao.

All of this reminded me of the kawaii person here who wanted to pay a certain noodle to "meet him". I was always under the impression that it was a dude and couldn't help but wonder if he thought said noodle would go for it lol.

Btw, is it common in anglospeaking countries to see girls "joking" about raping X or Y noodle? Cuz it is really common in the hispanic side of the fandom and the double standard gets on my nerves.

5 minutes ago, Komorebi said:

It is, I'm just multitasking and I half-assed my reading lmao.

All of this reminded me of the kawaii person here who wanted to pay a certain noodle to "meet him". I was always under the impression that it was a dude and couldn't help but wonder if he thought said noodle would go for it lol.

Btw, is it common in anglospeaking countries to see girls "joking" about raping X or Y noodle? Cuz it is really common in the hispanic side of the fandom and the double standard gets on my nerves.

I'm sorry, I must be getting old, Google didn't help either. What is a noodle? Like a twink? 

7 minutes ago, secret_no_03 said:

I'm sorry, I must be getting old, Google didn't help either. What is a noodle? Like a twink? 

Lol no, a noodle is a VK bandmember. It's bangya slang, sorry.

Just now, Komorebi said:

Lol no, a noodle is a VK bandmember. It's bangya slang, sorry.

Oooh, a lot simpler than I was thinking. I remember now xD kusomen and all that. I don't personally know any bangya so I never really remember slang.

I don't really think a lot of bands have a problem with male fans at all. At the virge tour final recently there were quite a few males and they shouted and growled and were accepted like everyone else. The guys were also buying and trading cheki. NAZUKI of La'veil MizeriA took a cheki with me as a present (well jaki took it of us), just offered randomly after I bought some merch. My experience was pretty positive that way. Kaina of Marvelous Cruelty even came out to meet me after their show at Shinsaibashi FANJ. 

i did an in-store event with umbrella as well, and even though i was the only male the guys were really happy and asked where i was from and that was overall positive also.

Just remembered: During a La'veil MizeriA show a japanese male fan did a heart sign with their hands at miria like the girls did and he just ruffled his hair and smiled. it seemed everyone could enjoy it fully.

Edited by Paraph

Both groups may be interested in their music, but both also will be interested with their looks. 

They sees them differently for sure.

Most straight boys will see their male figures as someone cool. Like how cool they were on the stage. And how awesome their clothes were. Some even started to dress like them. Which is why some of these VK bandomen sold fashion collection and accessories like Ruki , Toshiya, and Kyo does, among others.

While the LGBTQ may also attracted sexually to them, as much as the straight female fans does. And some of those fans service didn't help although it seems quite rare thing with neo modern VK bands.

Most gay guys would not be sexually interested in androgynous men. I'm not attracted to VK artists sexually or romantically. I like their aesthetics for its threatrical value and its capacity to expand men's restrictive fashion choices. When VK was the thing over here not many followers were gay. Most guys were heterosexual.

3 hours ago, Paraph said:

I don't really think a lot of bands have a problem with male fans at all. At the virge tour final recently there were quite a few males and they shouted and growled and were accepted like everyone else. The guys were also buying and trading cheki. NAZUKI of La'veil MizeriA took a cheki with me as a present (well jaki took it of us), just offered randomly after I bought some merch. My experience was pretty positive that way. Kaina of Marvelous Cruelty even came out to meet me after their show at Shinsaibashi FANJ. 

i did an in-store event with umbrella as well, and even though i was the only male the guys were really happy and asked where i was from and that was overall positive also.

Just remembered: During a La'veil MizeriA show a japanese male fan did a heart sign with their hands at miria like the girls did and he just ruffled his hair and smiled. it seemed everyone could enjoy it fully.

Pretty much agree with this. I've seen many male fans at VK lives/store events, and band members are nice to their male fans at those lives/events just like they are to the female fans. Often, bands are happy and love to meet with fans regardless of gender.

As for the topic, I think, as previous posts have already stated it, the female fans are into the bands for the looks, and many female fans (as I've seen) want their favorite band member to notice them; hence why they dress up and/or shout out their name during lives. Although, it doesn't mean that female fans aren't into the music as well. For male fans, I've seen them talk about the music more and collecting the music, but it's not uncommon to see male fans admire the band members for their appearances/looks. 

As a male I only listen to very heavy VK bands (Bands with growls, breakdowns, etc) and have no interest in how they look like.

From my experience both IRL and online, here are some quick observations based from my own perspective.

Male fans tend to be more deeply into the music and as many bands as possible. Most walking Wikipedias of VK (myself included) are male, I find.

Female fans are the absolute majority and the span of kinds is much wider there, but I generally don't tend to find as many die-hards when it comes to general scene knowledge as when it comes to the male fans, but rather often specialized highly on one particular band, or just a casual fan. 

Most major collectors of physical media tend to be male as well. Except for cheki, most male fans I know don't care for those.