Sign in to follow this  
secret_no_03

Joy Division/New Order

The fact there's no individual thread for the band who put post-punk on the map and is one of the most influential punk bands in music is a disservice, as I wouldn't just lump them in with the post-punk thread because they weren't a part of it, they WERE it. The subsequent death of Ian and the second phase of the band with New Era is worthy of a topic of his own in my humble opinion. 

Reading Unknown Pleasures and the book immediately opens when their first gig as Joy Division, the name derived from a Jewish women used as pleasure women in the Nazi camps and led to the band being accused of being Nazis for a long time, Ian found it in a book he was reading. Anyway, Peter talks about how he bought a new guitar and invited all of his mates to the show, everyone getting into a fight and being kicked out and they played to no one, right after Ian had gotten kicked out earlier by the bouncer and they had to beg him to let him back in. Peter's guitar also had a string coming undone the entire time so he had to hold it in while playing and kicking scoucers in the face when they tried to rush the stage.

btw if anyone's interested in the band (and especially Ian), Control is a must watch. One of the best music-themed biopics I've ever seen.

A lot of  young guys  knew Joy division and the smiths thx to 500 days with summer  since the movie release   i everyday watch any new or post related to them

Sign in to follow this