secret_no_03

JESSE & KenKen of RIZE Arrested for Marijuana Possession

In two separate messages on rock band RIZE's official website, it was revealed that frontman JESSE and bassist KenKen (real name Kensuke Kaneko) have been arrested for alleged marijuana possession. 

While RIZE has been relatively quiet in recent years, JESSE is also the vocalist of The BONEZ and he has appeared as a guest on releases by many rock artists. KenKen has also been performing with a number of other groups for several years, most notably the popular rock band Dragon Ash. 

The messages apologized to the band's fans, stating that their management will decide how to deal with the situation once the investigation is complete and all the facts have been revealed. 

In the meantime, the solo performance at Yakiniku Rock Fes JESSE had scheduled for today has been cancelled. In addition, Dragon Ash's label Victor Entertainment released a statement saying that while KenKen is technically only a support member of the band, they have halted both shipping and digital distribution of any Dragon Ash music and videos featuring him to show that they are not taking the situation lightly. 

KenKen first began performing live with Dragon Ash after the sudden death of the band's original bassist IKUZONE, who was a close friend of his, in 2012. However, Dragon Ash frontman Kj recorded the bass for all of the band's works after IKUZONE's passing until their 2016 single Hikari no machi

Source:JaME

I used to fucking worship this band, and it sucks it happened, but JESSE is a free-spirit and I'm not surprised it didn't  happen sooner.

Edited by secret_no_03

I'm a big Dragon Ash fan, and I like RIZE as well, so I was so sad to hear about this. It's so frustrating that, even in the best case scenario, they're both probably going to have to go into public apology mode and disappear from the scene for a while.

I saw RIZE do a showcase years ago in Canada, and while I only like about 1/10 of the songs they put out, they really shine live. KenKen especially. He has so much energy, and he's so fun to watch. So when he joined Dragon Ash after Ikuzone died, I was really happy. I think he's one of the few bassists with a weird enough vibe to take over for him, and the fact that he has just as much love for him as the other members always made me feel like it was such a great fit.

It sucks that they're probably going to have to fire him. :(

Especially over something as silly as getting caught with pot.

Edited by violetchain

Japanese morals over drugs are seriously hillarious. Social apology? Dissapear for a while? This can't be real even today. I want to believe that, although this whole moral acting is done by their management because the current social moratorium says so, fans aren't that idiotized and don't support a bit this kind of measures...

Edited by saiko

^Yeah, it feels extra surreal because recreational pot just became legal here recently, so I'm seeing ads for cannabis products everywhere and hearing all these news reports about what a booming industry it is, but then this kind of reaction is still happening in Japan. The zero-tolerance attitude the Japanese media and record labels take towards things like this still just feels so over the top.

Both of my favourite (ex-)members of KAT-TUN got arrested for the same thing recently, and they both had all their music activities cancelled, gave tearful apologies to the press and disappeared for a bit, so I feel like that's probably going to be the pattern this follows as well...

14 hours ago, secret_no_03 said:

I used to fucking worship this band, and it sucks it happened, but JESSE is a nut and I'm not surprised it happened sooner, same with gun possession.

I couldn't over look this so I had to make an account. What do you mean? I know he used to get into shit and would expelled from school growing up but I figured he chilled.  

12 minutes ago, Cereal Killer 13 said:

I couldn't over look this so I had to make an account. What do you mean? I know he used to get into shit and would expelled from school growing up but I figured he chilled.  

I didn't mean it negatively, he's just the kind of guy who will get drunk and get into fights or jump out of a window. I'll have to try and find the picture I saw where he was brandishing a legit real gun, back during E.D.O.

59 minutes ago, secret_no_03 said:

I didn't mean it negatively, he's just the kind of guy who will get drunk and get into fights or jump out of a window. I'll have to try and find the picture I saw where he was brandishing a legit real gun, back during E.D.O.

Woo you  had me scared for a second.  I thought maybe somebody was after him and he was running around strapped in the present lol

1 minute ago, Cereal Killer 13 said:

Woo you  had me scared for a second.  I thought maybe somebody was after him and he was running around strapped in the present lol

Nah, I don't think he's in any trouble, well besides this. Considering this is allegedly and it wasn't found on his person, he should be fine unless they search his house and find more. I personally know some rappers who spent like 3 years for weed, so it can be serious shit.

1 hour ago, Cereal Killer 13 said:

Welcome by the way, you should consider making an introduction. 

I only superficially understand the whole apology thing in Japan.
Couldn't the artist, band, or label simply refuse to apologize or simply not acknowledge it anymore?
Would that even be possible or is that commercial suicide from all parties by refusing to grovel to the public's expectations?

12 minutes ago, carddass said:

I only superficially understand the whole apology thing in Japan.
Couldn't the artist, band, or label simply refuse to apologize or simply not acknowledge it anymore?
Would that even be possible or is that commercial suicide from all parties by refusing to grovel to the public's expectations?

Face is everything in Japan.

2 hours ago, anadentone said:

in fairness, the name "dragon ash" sounds like street term for weed. 

Aye, reminds me of the term "chasing the dragon" for heroin.

TOKYO

A 33-year-old member of the popular Japanese rock group Dragon Ash has been arrested for alleged possession of marijuana, investigative sources said Saturday.

Bass guitarist Kensuke Kaneko, known as KenKen, is suspected of possessing a small amount of marijuana at his home in Kyoto's Shimogyo Ward on Friday morning, the sources said.

A 25-year-old woman was also arrested at Kaneko's home for the same charge.

In a related police action in Tokyo, musician Jesse McFaddin, a 38-year-old U.S. national, was held on suspicion of possessing 4 grams of marijuana in his home in Shinagawa Ward on Friday morning.

The American, a vocalist and guitarist who makes music as JESSE, is a son of the popular Japanese guitarist Hisato Takenaka, widely known as Char.

According to the sources, Kaneko told police he knew the substance was marijuana. McFaddin admitted to the possession charge while the woman denied the allegation.

The sources did not provide the name of the female suspect or any information beyond the fact that she is a friend of Kaneko's from Okayama Prefecture, western Japan.

The Metropolitan Police Department had investigated the case for a month after receiving a tip that the three were using marijuana. They launched the raid on Kaneko's home early Friday.

Dragon Ash made its debut in 1996 and released a number of hit songs such as "Fantasista." Kaneko joined the band in 2012.

Source:Japan Today

Edited by secret_no_03

6 hours ago, secret_no_03 said:

Nah, I don't think he's in any trouble, well besides this. Considering this is allegedly and it wasn't found on his person, he should be fine unless they search his house and find more. I personally know some rappers who spent like 3 years for weed, so it can be serious shit.

It's  being reported here  that he had a couple grams on him and they got him at his home. Kaneko Nobuaki has made a comment about it http://neotokyo2099.com/2019/07/20/rize-drummer-kaneko-nobuaki-posted-on-instagram-regarding-the-arrests-of-rizes-jesse-and-kaneko-kensuke-kenken/

9 minutes ago, Cereal Killer 13 said:

I always want to know who snitched and why?

Some old asshole with too much time on their hands and is bitter that they're near death most likely. Remember, Jesse has all kinds of ink, so I'm sure plenty of the older folks think he's a bad egg.

On 7/21/2019 at 9:28 AM, secret_no_03 said:

This is bullshit!!! Do you even know Jesse? He's a kind and gentle soul. Definatly not someone to get drunk and start fights. The laws in Japan are stupid this should not be a big thing at all. 

Jesse has apologized and he has yet to discuss the future of his bands RIZE and THE BONERZ with the rest of the members.

JESSEのコメントを掲載しました。

RIZER, BONERのみんなへ

この度は、本当に心配を掛けてごめんなさい。
まだメンバーとは会えていないので今後のことは何も決まっていません。
RIZEもThe BONEZも自分にとってかけがえの無いバンドです。
この先のことはメンバー同士でしっかり話し合っていきたいと思いますので、時間を下さい。
迷惑と心配を掛けてしまい心底反省してます。
失ったものを少しでも取り戻せるよう、努力していきます。
この度は本当に申し訳ございませんでした。

JESSE

ZAX (THE BONEZ) has also lost trust in him, but he will talk to him.

^Just FYI, JESSE's band is called The BONEZ - "BONERS" is what they call their fans.

KenKen is also in public apology mode, as is the custom.

I don't think DA have really said much about the situation outside of their official statements - they're a lot luckier because KenKen is not the face of the band like JESSE is with The BONEZ and RIZE, and he's not even an official member, so they can replace him and carry on pretty much as usual. I'm sure they're pissed, but I don't think they would say something publicly about it. Especially since Saku is basically the only member other than KenKen that is particularly active on social media.