secret_no_03

How do you prefer to consume music?

I cannot stand streaming music, for one I don't use my phone for calling so I have no minutes nor data, and I prefer to have files that are mine, which is why I'd be far more likely to pay for extra mega space than sign up for Apple music or something of the such. I also hate Spotify, I've never liked it since it came out, I've had it and deleted it probably ten times and paid for it a few times, for what I listen to its pretty useless, so I don't see the point and I much prefer music players whether they're android or Apple. So, what about you? How do you consume your music, physical (I don't know anyone who uses physical CDs after ripping them), digital files or streaming?

Streaming has its uses, but also plenty of limitations. Nothing more irritating than your internet buffering during a song, or your significant other hijacking Spotify to troll you with Backstreet Boys and Chumbawumba (true story).

I’ve decided to listen to most of my western music via Spotify, while keeping my storage for VK and other stuff that can’t be found on Spotify.

I have some CDs for collection purposes, but the only physical music I sit down and listen to is in LP format.

14 minutes ago, GreatNorthernVK said:

Streaming has its uses, but also plenty of limitations. Nothing more irritating than your internet buffering during a song, or your significant other hijacking Spotify to troll you with Backstreet Boys and Chumbawumba (true story).

I’ve decided to listen to most of my western music via Spotify, while keeping my storage for VK and other stuff that can’t be found on Spotify.

I have some CDs for collection purposes, but the only physical music I sit down and listen to is in LP format.

I don't really listen to any western music, and I don't really buy LPs, but when I did I bought a vinyl to mp3 converter. 

I mostly hoard mp3 files since most of the stuff I listen to is unavailable on streaming services. I use Spotify mostly when I don't know what to listen to so I let it surprise me with whatever it thinks fits with the music I already listened to there. I like having CDs in physical form though I get them only when I liked the release so much I need to own a physical copy of it.

When it comes to physical music, if there is a vinyl copy available, most times I'll prefer listening to it on that format. That's only if the audio quality is better or on par to the digital version though. I've ran into some LP releases that sound very poor on vinyl and I'd rather have a CD version instead.

I really only like CDs now for music that is hard to find online or if I want to be able to rip music in case I lose the digital copies that I have. Otherwise, I never actually listen to the CDs after ripping them and they take up room in my shelf. If it's a band I really like I like collecting CDs for artwork and photos.

Which is why I actually like using streaming services because it allows me to listen to music in (depending on the streaming service) good quality and I don't have to worry about storage space or loading music on my player of choice manually. It's risky though since some day the streaming service can decide to pull some of your favorite releases off their platform and then you can't enjoy it that way. And when it comes to Japanese music, it can be difficult to find releases by vkei and indie artists.

On very rare occasions, I like collecting cassette tapes too and other less conventional mediums like floppy discs and 8-track tapes. But one thing I can't still get behind is a USB drive. It's just a boring medium to store and distribute music to me. 

Last.fm integration is also important to me as I like to keep track of my listening habits, so I also like to just listen to digital copies I own on either my phone or laptop most days (although, with the direction last.fm is going I'm not sure how long I'll be able to keep that up haha)

I never had a Spotify account or something the like. I dislike streaming. I'm still going by digital files from ripped CD's or sometimes digitally bought releases. I barely listen to any western music and when I do it's more for nostalgic reasons and there I'm back with ripped CD files.

Spotify, period. 

I pay for premium and haven't regretted it yet. It's perfect for discovering new music pretty hassle free. I do have unlimited data on my phone so that's not an issue, and when I travel abroad I just download playlists to listen offline. 

Now that I've gotten back into VK, I just load up local files and download stuff to my phone on a dedicated playlist. 

Also, build-in last.fm integration duh. 

Back in the day I used to actually listen to the CDs/tapes I bought on a discman/walkman lol, then an iPod classic (I still have that 4th generation dinosaur, it was the most annoying piece of hardware I've ever owned fucking hell)  

I don't mind streaming, but if I decide to buy a release, I don't think I'd even buy a digital release (unless it's the only one available). I buy CDs and then rip them. 

I've found spotify to be increasingly convenient, but I still prefer to have actual files on my computer, as I suppose I'm just stuck in my ways. Tho despite spotify's amazing catalog, there's still a lot of stuff (old and new) that's just not available there. So in light of that, I use google music to upload my own files for streaming too.

Whenever I buy CDs, I just rip them and then put them away.

I use spotify to support an artist to play their songs, also It's usefull if I won't buy it on itunes.

spotify is useful to try a release before buying it.  And you can do that even without to install the spotify app to your pc.

I don't stream on my phone. not enough free data for it also it takes power for your phone. So I keep my dear mp3 player to play songs on the road.

Also, I don't download songs illigal anymore because of that reason.

if It's on spotify, I simply listen to it when I am home. 

I see no use anymore to share something to the public which can be listened for free anyway 😓

I use Spotify ,I buy CDs and I buy few songs legally on Amazon Music for certain digital release.

Edited by Miku70

I use Spotify, if the songs aren't available there I just download them and put them on Spotify. Really convenient that way. 

If I like an album/band enough I'll buy a physical copy.

I like just playing files on my computer or iPod (I don't like using my phone for music since the battery runs out too fast, so I still just use a separate device) the best since access to the songs can't be revoked randomly if an artist gets into trouble with their label, stops paying to renew the service, etc., but I mostly use Spotify for new releases these days, as you can use it with a free account and at least that in some way contributes to the artists and shows them they have people listening to their new work.

I know some artists monitor their Spotify plays closely, so I like to think it's at least encouraging for them to see the numbers going up, even if it's not all that useful financially compared to an iTunes or CD purchase.

I will buy a CD if there is no digital release and I absolutely must have something, but there's usually only about 1~2 releases a year I want that badly that I can't download or stream.

I've reduced my downloading habits by a lot. There really isn't much music to go through that effort for these days, even J-Rock/VK.

I much prefer Streaming, especially spotify because its more convenient and I'm always being introduced to new music.