Masato

Johnny from Johnny's died

Wow damn, I learned something today.

RIP to the man, the legend, pretty much the reason why Japanese TV shows are the way they are over the last 50 years.

87 is p old, but that still sucks.  dude changed the jpop game.  rest in peace.

edit: oh god nvm he was a pedo? bye.

Edited by God

42 minutes ago, God said:

edit: oh god nvm he was a pedo? bye.

If I don't misremember at the time it came out that he molested many of the boys that were in his groups or wanted in. It was a casting couch scandal but with pedos.

(I always thought that the "contract" part of Golden Bomber video "Amore" obliquely referenced if not THAT scandal, at least the kind of "underwold" gravitating the Idols industry)

Edited by Arkady

22 minutes ago, Arkady said:

If I don't misremember at the time it came out that he molested many of the boys that were in his groups or wanted in. It was a casting couch scandal but with pedos.

(I always thought that the "contract" part of Golden Bomber video "Amore" obliquely referenced if not THAT scandal, at least the kind of "underwold" gravitating the Idols industry)

gross, tbh.  i was a lil bummed til i read the article but now idrc 🤷🏻‍♂️

A lot of disrespect on this thread. Regardless of what he may or may not have been guilty of, this is a man who has just died, and someone widely respected who helped shape not only the careers of some of Japan's most popular artists but the whole industry(ies) they work in at that.

I heard something about him... and despite all the things he has done, I dont want to be unrespectful towards the death itself...

So... R.I.P.

He was the subject of numerous allegations of sexual misconduct. In 1999, Japanese weekly magazine Shukan Bunshun published a series detailing accusations of child abuse and sexual exploitation made by several boys under his wing.

However, he was never charged with any crimes on the basis of the allegations.

Kitagawa sued the Shukan Bunshun and was awarded damages, but the judgment was partially overturned on appeal with the court ruling the magazine had sufficient reason to publish the allegations of sexual misconduct. A subsequent Supreme Court appeal by Kitagawa was rejected.

I'm confused. It's saying he possibly did it, then it's saying he wasn't charged, then it's saying they had good reason but he was never imprisoned for it?

27 minutes ago, Gesu said:

I'm confused. It's saying he possibly did it, then it's saying he wasn't charged, then it's saying they had good reason but he was never imprisoned for it?

Could be that the abused men didn't actually press charges, or that police didn't have enough evidence to prosecute (and Johnny was too connected to force a confession out of.) The 'partially overturned' thing was probably more to do with press/media freedom.

2 hours ago, Shmilly said:

A lot of disrespect on this thread. Regardless of what he may or may not have been guilty of, this is a man who has just died, and someone widely respected who helped shape not only the careers of some of Japan's most popular artists but the whole industry(ies) they work in at that.

okay, i know these are two different situations in two completely different countries, but like...this kinda thing is why brock turner only got 6 months.

anyone who would do smth like that to a child doesn’t deserve any respect, regardless of what good things they’ve done.  and you can say that it was never actually confirmed and all, but you gotta consider...if multiple people come forward and they’re all saying the same kinda thing, it’s p doubtful it’s not true.  and yeah, sure, in a situation like that, maybe someone did fabricate some shit.  but everyone?  that seems unlikely.

He is gone now and can not do harm anymore!

I really wonder if akb is any better....

3 hours ago, Masato said:

I really wonder if akb is any better....

I'm fairly confident that idol rancher Akimoto himself is clean. So many girls go through his system, you'd think someone might have spoken up by now if it was worse than shitty working conditions + the standard low-level harassment women in showbiz anywhere have to deal with.

Edited by Vercingetorix