secret_no_03

What kind of phone do you have and why?

Resurrecting or should I say, rebooting an old topic that's been made probably three times over the years. What kind of cell phone do you have and why? I currently have an HTC u11 and am looking to get an iPhone 8 on black Friday, but I've previously had a Huawei Nexus 6P, oneplus 5T, galaxy S5 and before that I had flip or slide out phones. I've always had a love of keitai culture and wish someone would put out a smart flip phone that's not $1000, looking at you LG with your ice cream and Samsung with your $1200 galaxy gold and the equally expensive W2018!

So, my question is, what kind of phone do you have and why? Is it the look, features, the OS? I'm interested to see what everyone has and expect to see plenty of iPhones 🤑

I have a crappy old Alcatel brick because every smartphone I've ever had has either broken or been stolen, lmao. Besides, I like to keep everything separate. Calling/texting on my phone, music on my iPod, and everything else on my laptop (backed up with a memory stick). :P

i have an iphone se.  i used to have an android, but it was just one of the free ones you get when you sign up for a plan.  then it stopped charging after a lil under a year.  my wife had just gotten a new iphone 6s, so she gave me this one which was hers.  i was gonna replace it eventually, but tbh i cba.  this one runs games and stuff a lot better than my android did, and tbh i can’t afford to get a new android rn that would run stuff well.  both phone types have strengths and weaknesses, but i do really miss having an sd slot.  i think this one only has 32gb and i’m p sure there’s like 6gb free on it rn, oof.  but eh.  i like the phone alright, tbh.  it’s a bit on the smaller side but the colors are really vivid and nice on the display.  they’re nicer than the colors on my wife’s 6s, but i’m not sure why. 

Pixel 2 XL. I like my phones without bloatware (I like having a near-vanilla experience), and I've been using Android well over a decade now. It's convenient b/c most phones that have come after mine don the dreaded notch. I also like rooting and ricing my phones, which I did a lot of w/ my previous phone, the Samsung Note 4. One complaint is that I fucking hate using dongles w/ a phone and Bluetooth eats my battery. Camera is fantastic, though.

After being in an IT environment for a while now + interacting with graphic designers, I have a newfound appreciation for the iPhone (and other Apple products.) Now, their products are still expensive, but I can understand why you would want to be in that ecosystem w/ how streamlined everything is.

I'm not in mobile development, but PhoneGap is also really convenient on Android since I can make my own little web apps and install the .apk right on my phone. I've also recently got my hands on an old iPhone 6. I might use it for testing, but right now I'm using it to install ios-only rhythm games, lol. 

Currently own the first gen iPhone X 256GB model (ya know, the actual iPhone X with good materials).

I'm usually one to spend extra if it will allow me to future-proof my devices for 3-5 years. Made a good call as I hear the newer gen iPhone X's materials have been cut down..... Or was my model discontinued like they said they would? Lol.

Before this I owned an iPhone 6 tapped out at 128GB, again, for same reasons. Overall a great phone, as it was as "field-serviceable" as an apple product could get at the time. I had replaced the battery replaced 2x, and changed the lightning port since it burnt from the lint that got stuck in it from being in/out of my pocket. The headphone jack I think I miss the most on it.

Before that I owned the iPhone 4S 64GB. Geez was that thing small but fun to use. I also didn't care about dropping it lol.

Apple iPhones have been very reliable and simple-use phones for me in the IT industry, with their seamless ecosystem and their great customer service.

I have an iPhone 5s. Works fine for what I use it for - taking pictures, texting, checking email, transit planning, etc., and I got a good case so I can drop it all the time without any issues. Aside from occasional training calls, I don't really use my phone for work, so I don't see myself upgrading it until there's a major reason to like the battery stops working or something.

This is only my second cell phone ever - the first one was a crappy Nokia flip phone I had all through high school - so I don't really have much to compare it to, I suppose.

I tend to be very slow to upgrade to new technology. I still use a separate iPod for music because the battery lasts longer and I find it much easier to skip songs and adjust the volume on it from my pocket when I'm out walking.

I have a Huawei P20 Pro since April this year, the previous one I had was a Honor 5C (and a few more phones beforehand). I've never had any iPhone, I've always stuck to Android.

I like having a good phone, yet I don't want (and can't) to spend a lot on pricier phones  when I can choose more affordable options instead, if you understand the struggle... :D

I enjoy taking pictures, the P20 Pro camera is rather comfortable. It doesn't have a SD slot but I've managed without it so far, most of the storage is from Spotify/music library anyway. Another con is that it doesn't have a audio jack port but thankfully there are things such as USB-C adapter. I use it mostly to check mails, browse websites, play mobile games/music, when I don't want to use my laptop because I have no time/energy for it (yay work!!!).

And I think that's it :)

1 minute ago, secret_no_03 said:

What was it? $750ish?

$0 on a 2 year plan. my previous contract had long ended thankfully.

32 minutes ago, Paraph said:

$0 on a 2 year plan. my previous contract had long ended thankfully.

Ohhhh, you do contracts. I only buy GSM fully unlocked phones. A free phone isn't worth it for the $80-$100 a month for plans. I'll never sign a year or two contract with anything, much less one of the big four I. E. AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile.

13 minutes ago, secret_no_03 said:

Ohhhh, you do contracts. I only buy GSM fully unlocked phones. A free phone isn't worth it for the $80-$100 a month for plans. I'll never sign a year or two contract with anything, much less one of the big four I. E. AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile.

Canada seems different than the US when it comes to this. There isn't much of an option. buying a phone outright is way too expensive here. I could be wrong, I've never bought a phone outright tbh. Luckily it's only 2 years though.

Edited by Paraph

1 minute ago, Paraph said:

Canada seems different than the US when it comes to this. There isn't much of an option. buying a phone outright is way too expensive here.

Well, I consider phones an investment which is silly, but I'm fine paying $600 for a phone I plan to use every day for 5 years. I financed my current, but almost have it paid off and I'm buying my next out right like I had before. I paid I think $700 for my HTC U11 and before that like $300 which is dirt cheap by comparison for the Oneplus 5T which is a very good phone from a company on the rise in Asia, but I let my gf have that when her phone gave out. I'm strongly considering an iPhone 8 come this fall when the new phones are unveiled, it'll probably go down quite a bit and minimalism has taught me that renewed phones are entirely viable and a lot cheaper.

3 minutes ago, secret_no_03 said:

Well, I consider phones an investment which is silly, but I'm fine paying $600 for a phone I plan to use every day for 5 years. I financed my current, but almost have it paid off and I'm buying my next out right like I had before. I paid I think $700 for my HTC U11 and before that like $300 which is dirt cheap by comparison for the Oneplus 5T which is a very good phone from a company on the rise in Asia, but I let my gf have that when her phone gave out. I'm strongly considering an iPhone 8 come this fall when the new phones are unveiled, it'll probably go down quite a bit and minimalism has taught me that renewed phones are entirely viable and a lot cheaper.

I believe in Canada it's now illegal to lock phones (or you can request unlock right away), or to charge an unlocking fee, thankfully..so I never really felt a need to buy outright.

Just now, Paraph said:

I believe in Canada it's now illegal to lock phones (or you can request unlock right away), or to charge an unlocking fee, thankfully..so I never really felt a need to buy outright.

That's amazing because the vast majority in America are locked to a particular carrier.

Moto Z2 Play

It's a work phone, but it's dual sim so it's my only one and I love it. I've already dunked it in water twice and it still works! 10/10 XD

I have my sights on Moto Z4 + the gamepad mod, but it's not available in my country yet, wonder if it's gonna be at all. Might just go ahead and have it shipped from US >.> 

I have an iPhone 8 Plus 256GB. I like iOS and I use a lot of Apple things in general so it helps that the iPhone works well with them. I don’t like or respect Google as a company so I’m pretty averse to their products. (Not that Apple is perfect.) I had an Android phone briefly many years ago but I just wasn’t into it and quickly replaced it with an iPhone. There are a lot of iOS apps I use now for school/writing and music production that are not available on other platforms, so I’m kind of locked in whether I like it or not.

I’ve had this phone since it came out over 2 years ago. I’d like to keep it for at least 3. My only real problem with it is that it’s a bit large and heavy which sometimes makes it feel unwieldy. I also have an iPad, so I probably should have just gotten the smaller-sized iPhone 8. Oh well.

Huawei Honor 5 (or something), and I own it because it was pretty cheap ($160) and a fairly good phone at that price. I use my phone for surfing the internet, spotify, netflix, messenger/whatsapp, dating apps, instagram, sending text messages and calling people, in that order. So it's more than good enough for what I'm using phones for, and I'll keep this until it stops working, just like I did with my previous phone which I had for 6-7 years or so. This one I've had for either 2 or 3 years. Still works perfectly fine, despite the fact that I don't have any protection on it or anything.