secret_no_03

Halle Bailey of ChloexHalle to play Ariel in Live Action Remake of The Little Mermaid.

"Oh, they're doing a live-action remake. This should be a pretty innocuous article, why is it being posted here- Oh, she's black..."

^ I worded this too vaguely. I assumed this got posted because articles bubbled up over the actor/actress casted. I also assumed this was in the current events section. I tend to attach your articles to controversy, so I made that connection at the start.

Referring to the Variety.com article comments:

People get ruffled over the dumbest shit. 

*If you're up in arms about how this deviates from the source material, you might want to read the original Danish fairytale. Works are constantly reinterpreted/re-imagined... It's like talking to a wall, we've been through this over-and-over again :tw_pensive:.

Edited by colorful人生

3 minutes ago, colorful人生 said:

"Oh, they're doing a live-action remake. This should be a pretty innocuous article, why is it being posted here- Oh, she's black..."

This is the entertainment section, last I checked, a movie is entertainment, even if it's an abomination compared to the original animated one. The Lion King looks pretty good, but I didn't like the remake of Beauty and the Beast.

People are always sceptical about things like this but I think as long as she can pull it off well, it doesn't really matter too much. They cast Scarlett Johansson as Kaa (who was originally male) in the remake of The Jungle Book (which I really liked, actually) and she was perfect for the role, so it's not like things like this have never worked. Either way, I think Melissa McCarthy is a good fit for the role she's supposedly playing. I've seen her in other stuff and I think she has the right sort of energy/delivery to play Ursula.

Just now, Gesu said:

People are always sceptical about things like this but I think as long as she can pull it off well, it doesn't really matter too much. They cast Scarlett Johansson as Kaa (who was originally male) in the remake of The Jungle Book (which I really liked, actually) and she was perfect for the role, so it's not like things like this have never worked. Either way, I think Melissa McCarthy is a good fit for the role she's supposedly playing. I've seen her in other stuff and I think she has the right sort of energy/delivery to play Ursula.

Totally forgot about that one, it was good, but not as good as the original.

1 hour ago, secret_no_03 said:

This is the entertainment section, last I checked, a movie is entertainment, even if it's an abomination compared to the original animated one. The Lion King looks pretty good, but I didn't like the remake of Beauty and the Beast.

It's not the entertainment part. I usually find that casting decisions go under-the-radar until it's someone who's a different race or gender from the original.

In this case it's a Disney film and a lead role announcement, so all eyes are on it regardless. I found there was elevated attention b/c of the decision itself, but that's not connected to the amount of articles or the substance of the articles themselves.

Edited by colorful人生

12 minutes ago, colorful人生 said:

*If you're up in arms about how this deviates from the source material, you might want to read the original Danish fairytale. Works are constantly reinterpreted/re-imagined...

It's like talking to a wall, we've been through this over-and-over again :tw_pensive:.

Love that projection there about this being posted because of racism, virtue signaling just makes you look desperate for wokeness points though...😯

2 hours ago, secret_no_03 said:

Love that projection there about this being posted because of racism, virtue signaling just makes you look desperate for wokeness points though...😯

It has nothing to do with you posting, I never insinuated that you posted it b/c of "racism". It's the attention that's being garnered toward the headline and the source. Though, I'm looking at more than just this article.

Also, unironically using the term "wokeness points", lol.

It is, however, my mistake for bringing that conversation into this thread where a misunderstanding could develop (I should know better, given the other drama on the forum.) I got pretty irked going through some of the article (and other article's) comments, so intended on referencing that here. Would rather not stir drama in an entertainment thread. If I come off that way, my apologies.

Edited by colorful人生

2 minutes ago, colorful人生 said:

It has nothing to do with you posting. It's the attention that's being garnered toward the headline and the source. Though, I'm looking at more than just this article.

Also, unironcially using the term "wokeness points", lol.

👌

It’s not like half of the threads you post are in the genre of ”stupid libtards upset about X Y Z” 

”Desperate for wokeness points” who the fuck are you for real coming on this board about vk bringing your asenine american political shite in here. Nobody here takes this shit seriously enough at least in the context of this forum to give a shit enough to virtue signal for anything. Left right up and down or center these titles and threads are peak cringe and I’d rather see this forum dead with its dignity intact rather than have this shit continue

2 minutes ago, Disposable said:

It’s not like half of the threads you post are in the genre of ”stupid libtards upset about X Y Z” 

”Desperate for wokeness points” who the fuck are you for real coming on this board about vk bringing your asenine american political shite in here. Nobody here takes this shit seriously enough at least in the context of this forum to give a shit enough to virtue signal for anything. Left right up and down or center these titles and threads are peak cringe and I’d rather see this forum dead with its dignity intact rather than have this shit continue

Well I just lurked here at the wrong time now, didn't I?

2 minutes ago, Disposable said:

Oof, Jesus, I appreciate your passion, but I don't understand why you're so upset. I've done nothing to you. Hope you have a good day.

1 hour ago, Disposable said:

@secret_no_03 posts trying to bring "serious" politic discussion over plain stupid facts (OMG YOU WONT GUESS WHAT A FEMINIST SAID LOLOLOL XDDDD!!!11) is what made me reduce the times I lurk this forum.

6 minutes ago, saiko said:

@secret_no_03 posts trying to bring "serious" politic discussion over plain stupid facts (OMG YOU WONT GUESS WHAT A FEMINIST SAID LOLOLOL XDDDD!!!11) is what made me reduce the times I lurk this forum.

🤔😮

Imagine to cast a white slavic girl as Mulan for example... I am not racist, but at least tell us early that it would be a revisitation of a classic tale...

25 minutes ago, Ada Suilen said:

Imagine to cast a white slavic girl as Mulan for example... I am not racist, but at least tell us early that it would be a revisitation of a classic tale...

People would lose their minds if they "white washed" Mulan.

Yeah, at least they didn't... I just read that this movie is a reboot so that's not a surprise to make the lead character a bit different from the source...

Edited by Ada Suilen

13 minutes ago, Ada Suilen said:

Yeah, at least they didn't... I just read that this movie is a reboot so that's not a surprise to make the lead character a bit different from the source...

That's odd, especially since there's no actual live action film to go off of to consider this a reboot. Huh, now I know that redoing even animated films is still considered a reboot. 😮 I haven't seen The Little Mermaid that is on Netflix, but I don't think I'd like it from the trailer.

Why are y'all so upset about this thread? You can all ignore it. It's not like no one posts random shit here, people come and cry about their failed relationships all the time and no one bats an eye about those "boohoo my ex left me" threads. There's no specific rule on the forum about political discussions so I don't really see the problem. Y'all can just ignore the threads you aren't interested in instead of making a fuss about them. Or then rewrite the rules or something, idk. Go post about VK to balance it out.

To secret: yeah, the religious post was fun and insightful as a few others that had real substance, but just posting a link or a youtube video and expecting discussion to take off in a healthy manner is not the way to go either, this isn't your FB newsfeed. I advise to either restrain from it or at least provide a richer starting point for a conversation to make it interesting. Otherwise it looks like cheap clickbait and I can see why users get upset. 

Why are people upset about this, they cast white people in the roles of characters who were canonically POC like, ghost in the shell and so many others. They flipped the script once and everyone is freaking out.

people outraged about commercial entertainment milking the diversity wave for woke points and black dollar are more developmentally challenged than the cynical casting machine that decided to reinvent her character jus' saying

I wouldn't expect a character derived from a Swedish story amalgamated from European folklore to be of African descent but we all come from Africa henniez love and light xoxo

8d5.gif

I'm not going to watch this cringe shitfest either tho

this is further redhead erasure!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FUCK THAT YO!!!!