secret_no_03

Apple accused of sexism based on their iPhone XR Design

From the thread title I was expecting some dumb design decisions on Apple's part but this? Do people know they can use both of their hands to use a smartphone?

I don't think it's really sexist. There are also women with big ass hands and men with baby hands. I'm a grown woman with tiny palms using a big phone and I wasn't even aware this was a problem???

This article is less of a massive push for more inclusive iPhone design and more one person griping online, siting one or two other articles that agree with her, then backing it up with "lots of other people agree with me!! Next paragraph."

The period tracker argument I'm half and half on. I don't think it's as much of a crime as the article (and the one it linked to) was making it out to be, especially since persons that have periods have been able to be okay in the advent of smart phones, but snidely justifying it as "an issue more common than needing to track blood glucose level" is very Taylor-Swift-level-of-feminism of her. 

tl;dr I don't think this is worth paying attention to--there's bigger issues to address, and this was written like the author was asked to step outside of her comfort zone and "try tackling a tech issue!!" instead of her usual subjects.

uh, well.  see tbh this is the kinda thing that makes feminism look like a bunch of crazy, weird people who make issues out of non-issues.  there are way more important things to worry about.  as for the period tracker thing, does android come standard with that either?  i’m sure there are apps you can download that offer that service for either phone.

also, like, not for nothing but when she got her phone didn’t she hold a display model or smth first? maybe she ordered it online, idk.  but anyway there are cis guys that have small hands too, right? 🙄

I think the real issue with phone size is the different lifestyles in cities and suburbs. The author lives in NYC, like me. A phone that requires two hands is a phone that can’t be used on the subway. For a normal commuter, that means an hour or more per day of standing on the subway, left hand gripping the pole, right hand empty, trying not to look uncomfortably at other people, time that could have been better spent using the phone to read or play a game. My last phone died in September and I replaced it with an iPhone 8, which I can just barely use with the help of a pop socket. It was the smallest model available at the time.

Drivers don’t care about using their phone with one hand, right? You can’t write on your phone during your commute anyway. But it’s a really, really big deal for those of us who rely on public transportation that’s usually so crowded we have to stand. Tokyo subways are still a sea of iPhone 5s and SEs and it’s not because Japanese consumers can’t afford the other models. My SO has massive hands and he got an 8 too; even for him the extra-large phones are too unwieldy for city use.

Edited by inertia

7 hours ago, inertia said:

I think the real issue with phone size is the different lifestyles in cities and suburbs. The author lives in NYC, like me. A phone that requires two hands is a phone that can’t be used on the subway. For a normal commuter, that means an hour or more per day of standing on the subway, left hand gripping the pole, right hand empty, trying not to look uncomfortably at other people, time that could have been better spent using the phone to read or play a game. My last phone died in September and I replaced it with an iPhone 8, which I can just barely use with the help of a pop socket. It was the smallest model available at the time.

Drivers don’t care about using their phone with one hand, right? You can’t write on your phone during your commute anyway. But it’s a really, really big deal for those of us who rely on public transportation that’s usually so crowded we have to stand. Tokyo subways are still a sea of iPhone 5s and SEs and it’s not because Japanese consumers can’t afford the other models. My SO has massive hands and he got an 8 too; even for him the extra-large phones are too unwieldy for city use.

That's really interesting, I never even considered that.

On 7/2/2019 at 2:14 AM, inertia said:

I hand't seen it that way... but size is a reason for sticking to iPhone 5, for me at least.

But no one is forcing the author to go for the latest model. Or an iPhone.

On 7/2/2019 at 12:29 AM, God said:

see tbh this is the kinda thing that makes feminism look like a bunch of crazy, weird people who make issues out of non-issues.  there are way more important things to worry about.

This is precisely why I'm so done with post 2016 feminism. Petty whiners complaining about petty issues for the sake of complaining.

it’s not like apple inherently hates women (they only hate women on the corporate level, and I have a lingering suspicion this calls for an imperative «cis» prefix), they finally fell into the same pit that every other western-geared gadget company digs for their products eventually:

they’ve assumed their core users are techbros with oversized dominant hands due to countless decades of involuntary celibacy. 

I have this exact issue with practically all current tech I use on the reg, with the only notable exception being dualshocks - for some reason (dominant asian market?) they are always nice to hold. remember the OG xbox controller? see 1st paragraph.

in reality I believe the percentile of insta-thots and FSSWs and professional beards and big titty athlete GFs and higher class corner hookers (just mentally relive Melanija Knauss walking down the street with a xiaomi, doesn’t make sense rite?) and like affluent suburbia home-wreckers is actually much higher than apple bases off the pure sales data, but since all those demographics are not the ones doing the card swipe it sort of distorts the statistics, but that’s just my guess.

and I can’t even truly relate to her sentiment reg. babby hands because god knows my own could have been smaller, it wouldve made whole entire lives so. much. easier — u truly have no clue.

we still have to stan. I’m glad the conversation sparked by this thinkpiece gives locals an opportunity to show their real self hashtag: siri define dismissal.