ambivalentideal

Another vk veteran (???) intro!

Hello, everyone!! My name is Alex, I'm 24, and I've been listening to vk for wow, a while now. I dunno if this counts as being a veteran or not lol but I discovered vk in around late 2006 with An Cafe, but didn't get hog-wild crazy into vk until the summer of 2007. The last time I posted on a vk forum was back when batsu was still alive lmao. I think I was GentleLie on there?? And I was 12 which was a talking point or at least I thought it was. Anyone else from batsu? Anyway, it's so nice to see a vk forum still in existence! I've never really gotten all the way out of vk 100%, but I've waxed and waned over the years. I just recently got back into vk pretty full force this year after seeing the GazettE in Dallas, which was my first time seeing them, and it brought back so much for me. They were one of my top bands when I first got into vk, so it was really special for me to see them finally. I'll list some of the bands I liked from different points in my vk history just so y'all can get a feel for who I am I guess. : P

early: An Cafe, Ayabie, Malice Mizer, Moi dix Mois, the GazettE, Alice Nine, LM.C, Dir en Grey

Mid: Versailles, Phantasmagoria, hurts, Screw, lynch., Dio, D, aicle, Kaya, vistlip, Canzel, Sugar, Schwarz Stein

Late: AND, VanessA, Lycaon, Megaromania, NEGA, 9GOATS BLACK OUT, Born, -OZ-, Unsraw, Dog in the PWO, 

Super late, aka the last band I paid attention to actively: MEJIBRAY

I'm slowly discovering current bands and having a lot of fun doing so! I just found out about DIMLIM and am currently obsessed with their album CHEDOARA. I would super appreciate any recs! Nice to meet everyone, and I look forward to talking with y'all. :D

Welcome to MH! Hope you have fun here~ ^_^ also, it's great to see another Sugar fan here! Sizna is a god 🎸

Hi! Welcome to MH! I remember An Cafe also being one of the first VK bands that I discovered, lol.

Many great bands on the list (especially vistlip and Screw :P) Another band to check out is Kizu if you haven't already. Also, Khryst has some former Screw members and the vocalist from BORN (Ryoga) is in a new band, Razor, if you're interested in those as well. 

Hope you have an awesome time around here :glitter:

Welcome to MH. ^^

And I totally agree with you on your obsession with CHEDOARA. 😍

chedoara is sick, tbh.  imo the best vk album from last year.  still playing that record, tbh.  welcome! ☺️

2006 definitely counts as old haha.

Your tastes are also so broad that I think you'll fit in just fine.

Welcome to MH!

11 hours ago, ambivalentideal said:

I just recently got back into vk pretty full force this year after seeing the GazettE in Dallas, which was my first time seeing them, and it brought back so much for me. They were one of my top bands when I first got into vk, so it was really special for me to see them finally.

Honestly if the GazettE coming to the USA can bring back many of the fans that once existed back into the scene (and maybe even migrate them here to MH), then I'm so glad they decided to tour here again.

Enjoy your return to VK dood!

The scene has been sporadic asf but the new generation has entered the mix and they are pretty good. Many artists from bands that once were are in new projects, so read up on some of the news we have here and see what you can find.

13 hours ago, Gesu said:

Welcome to MH! Hope you have fun here~ ^_^ also, it's great to see another Sugar fan here! Sizna is a god 🎸

thank you so much!! oh yeah oh my god, I had forgotten about Sugar for a while but they were honestly so good. I actually had the privilege of seeing them live before they disbanded, when they came to OniCon in Houston, TX in 2008. I remember being really impressed with their sound, and also all the rumors/gossip floating around about what shenanigans Loki was getting into during the course of the con lmfao. I think "Ninfomania" was my favorite song by them. I saw your lyric request in the requests section and got really excited for a second thinking that I could do it for you, but turns out I have the rotten words single. So close! If you're interested in any of those songs I could put those up for you, but I don't have the lyrics for antlion unfortunately 😕 

13 hours ago, monkeybanana4 said:

Hi! Welcome to MH! I remember An Cafe also being one of the first VK bands that I discovered, lol.

Many great bands on the list (especially vistlip and Screw :P) Another band to check out is Kizu if you haven't already. Also, Khryst has some former Screw members and the vocalist from BORN (Ryoga) is in a new band, Razor, if you're interested in those as well. 

Hope you have an awesome time around here :glitter:

hello!! thank you :D oh man, those really were the times. I would just sit for hours replaying An Cafe's PVs over and over lmao, I'm sure my parents hated me for it. I distinctly remember watching the Bonds Kizuna PV the most.

ahh thanks! I was really into vistlip before they had that accident and went on hiatus for some time. I was really happy to see that they resumed activities and are still together. Oh yeah Kizu is another I checked out recently, I'm really liking their stuff! Oh cool, thanks so much for the recs! I had no idea Byou was in a band again. Just watched their PV and I liked what I heard. Same goes for Ryouga, I've been hearing about Razor and hadn't checked them out until now, I have to say, I'm extremely impressed! Ryouga well...he used to be a really hot mess lmao. I saw Born live in 2009 and it's crazy to see that he's still doing stuff and hey, it's pretty damn good. I think he's improved a lot. 

Thank you so much!! I look forward to it :wan-45:

12 hours ago, Kuro said:

Welcome to MH. ^^

And I totally agree with you on your obsession with CHEDOARA. 😍

Thank you!! Yeah, I couldn't believe just how good they are. To say I'm blown away is an understatement haha. Now I'm scouring the web trying to buy a copy of it and currently having no luck 😅

11 hours ago, Miku70 said:

Welcome here 😊. An Cafe was my first band too.

thank you so much ❤️ ahh really!! they were a lot of people's first band back in the day, weren't they? so many memories! 

10 hours ago, God said:

chedoara is sick, tbh.  imo the best vk album from last year.  still playing that record, tbh.  welcome! ☺️

right?? as I'm getting more acquainted back into vk I'm starting to think the same thing. so good. really looking forward to what they'll do next. thank you so much!! :D 

5 hours ago, YuyoDrift said:

2006 definitely counts as old haha.

Your tastes are also so broad that I think you'll fit in just fine.

Welcome to MH!

Honestly if the GazettE coming to the USA can bring back many of the fans that once existed back into the scene (and maybe even migrate them here to MH), then I'm so glad they decided to tour here again.

Enjoy your return to VK dood!

The scene has been sporadic asf but the new generation has entered the mix and they are pretty good. Many artists from bands that once were are in new projects, so read up on some of the news we have here and see what you can find.

yeah, I guess it does, doesn't it? haha. I know there are people who have been in it way longer, but I guess it's almost 13 years now.

thank you so much!! :D 

agreed! From what I gathered at the concert, it seems like it did exactly that for a lot of people. I think maybe we're seeing a slight resurgence of vk. Especially since I remember the period when looking really kote kote started to be really uncool in the scene and a lot of bands were going for that vk lite look that i really hated lol. and coming back into it and seeing older bands reclaim their old vk look and newer bands making their own new heavily vk-focused looks has made me incredibly happy. it seems like kinda a return to form for me!

thanks so much ❤️ I've been seeing that! Both the new generation bands and the new projects are really exciting for me! I definitely will, thank you!!

3 hours ago, ambivalentideal said:

right?? as I'm getting more acquainted back into vk I'm starting to think the same thing. so good. really looking forward to what they'll do next. thank you so much!! :D 

idk if you already know but they just released a single a few weeks ago?  maybe more recently, i’m really bad at tracking time.  but it’s p cool.  kinda different from chedoara, but i still dug it.

20 hours ago, ambivalentideal said:

Hello, everyone!! My name is Alex, I'm 24, and I've been listening to vk for wow, a while now. I dunno if this counts as being a veteran or not lol but I discovered vk in around late 2006 with An Cafe, but didn't get hog-wild crazy into vk until the summer of 2007. The last time I posted on a vk forum was back when batsu was still alive lmao. I think I was GentleLie on there?? And I was 12 which was a talking point or at least I thought it was. Anyone else from batsu? Anyway, it's so nice to see a vk forum still in existence! I've never really gotten all the way out of vk 100%, but I've waxed and waned over the years. I just recently got back into vk pretty full force this year after seeing the GazettE in Dallas, which was my first time seeing them, and it brought back so much for me. They were one of my top bands when I first got into vk, so it was really special for me to see them finally. I'll list some of the bands I liked from different points in my vk history just so y'all can get a feel for who I am I guess. : P

early: An Cafe, Ayabie, Malice Mizer, Moi dix Mois, the GazettE, Alice Nine, LM.C, Dir en Grey

Mid: Versailles, Phantasmagoria, hurts, Screw, lynch., Dio, D, aicle, Kaya, vistlip, Canzel, Sugar, Schwarz Stein

Late: AND, VanessA, Lycaon, Megaromania, NEGA, 9GOATS BLACK OUT, Born, -OZ-, Unsraw, Dog in the PWO, 

Super late, aka the last band I paid attention to actively: MEJIBRAY

I'm slowly discovering current bands and having a lot of fun doing so! I just found out about DIMLIM and am currently obsessed with their album CHEDOARA. I would super appreciate any recs! Nice to meet everyone, and I look forward to talking with y'all. :D

Oh wow, Batsu, I thought I'd never meet another person who knows Batsu. That place was crazy. 

4 hours ago, ambivalentideal said:

hello!! thank you :D oh man, those really were the times. I would just sit for hours replaying An Cafe's PVs over and over lmao, I'm sure my parents hated me for it. I distinctly remember watching the Bonds Kizuna PV the most.

ahh thanks! I was really into vistlip before they had that accident and went on hiatus for some time. I was really happy to see that they resumed activities and are still together. Oh yeah Kizu is another I checked out recently, I'm really liking their stuff! Oh cool, thanks so much for the recs! I had no idea Byou was in a band again. Just watched their PV and I liked what I heard. Same goes for Ryouga, I've been hearing about Razor and hadn't checked them out until now, I have to say, I'm extremely impressed! Ryouga well...he used to be a really hot mess lmao. I saw Born live in 2009 and it's crazy to see that he's still doing stuff and hey, it's pretty damn good. I think he's improved a lot. 

Thank you so much!! I look forward to it :wan-45:

Haha, same here! For me, it was Bonds and Snow Scene, which I put on repeat the most. And I don't regret a single second of it even if it drove my family crazy, lol. 

Yeah! If you can, you should definitely check out vistlip's latest album. I think it's a bit experimental, but still retains vistlip in it, haha. Wow, that's awesome you saw BORN live. Ryoga and the band were a ton of fun to see in the flesh, lol. But yeah, he was a hot mess and a really entertaining vocalist :D Can't deny that, as you've said, he's come a long way. Also, not to bother you with one last rec, but I saw you liked AND ^^; If you're a fan of Ikuma (the singer), he's created a new band, REIGN, which I think is not too bad. 

No problem! Always happy to help out if possible^_^ 

Edited by monkeybanana4

2 hours ago, God said:

idk if you already know but they just released a single a few weeks ago?  maybe more recently, i’m really bad at tracking time.  but it’s p cool.  kinda different from chedoara, but i still dug it.

oh yeah, Rijin? I was listening to it earlier, and I'm really into it! it is fairly different but I think it's great that they have a well-rounded sound. Their vocalist is clearly heavily inspired by Kyo, but I think he brings a lot to the table on his own too. I can already see a huge improvement on his part from their first album to their second, which is super exciting. Honestly I think he's one of the best vocalists in vk in a really long time. Nearly each song I listen to as I go through their music I'm hearing him do something new and successfully at that! Will definitely be following them from here on out.

1 hour ago, secret_no_03 said:

Oh wow, Batsu, I thought I'd never meet another person who knows Batsu. That place was crazy. 

oh man, right?? There were a lot of good times there and I definitely met a lot of cool people, but it had its fair share of drama 😅 any idea how that place finally died? did they just sort of slowly fade away or did something huge happen lol 

1 hour ago, psychonnect_rozen said:

Hey! I'm a relatively new fan in the VK scene as I have been a VK fan for about nine months since October. Glad to see a veteran on here who can give me some recommendations!

hello!! that's amazing, I was just wondering how many new fans we have nowadays :') I'm really glad to see new people getting into the scene. oh yeah I totally will! If you're interested in older bands, especially bands from around 2007 to 2009, I am your guy haha. what kinds of bands are you into?

1 hour ago, monkeybanana4 said:

Haha, same here! For me, it was Bonds and Snow Scene, which I put on repeat the most. And I don't regret a single second of it even if it drove my family crazy, lol. 

Yeah! If you can, you should definitely check out vistlip's latest album. I think it's a bit experimental, but still retains vistlip in it, haha. Wow, that's awesome you saw BORN live. Ryoga and the band were a ton of fun to see in the flesh, lol. But yeah, he was a hot mess and a really entertaining vocalist :D Can't deny that, as you've said, he's come a long way. Also, not to bother you with one last rec, but I saw you liked AND ^^; If you're a fan of Ikuma (the singer), he's created a new band, REIGN, which I think is not too bad. 

No problem! Always happy to help out if possible^_^ 

oh yesss snow scene too, and honestly all their PVs haha I was really obsessed with them at the outset. lol yeah, same, my family had to get used to weird sounding japanese music and guys in makeup pretty fast...

oh yeah, I will, thank you! I think I watched one of their newer PVs the other day when I found out they were still together and I was really happy to hear that they still sound like vistlip :') it's really interesting to me to see bands that I never expected to stay together longer than a couple years who have now been together for 10+! yeahhhh BORN were super fun live, they had a ridiculous amount of energy and they covered up their amateur-ness pretty well with their eagerness haha. it was literally right after felony came out so they were super green. : P have you seen them too? yeah lmao, I actually have a really cringey photo of myself with BORN and god it's so bad. I was hugging Ryouga's arm and he looks maybe a bit too happy about it. RIP. omg no, you're not bothering me at all! yes I loved AND!! They were one of my favorite bands of 2009, they were so so good. I think they were insanely underrated. They put out this freaking gem: 

One of my favorite songs of that year, which is saying a lot for me bc 95% of my time was dedicated to vk back then haha. yeah, I'm a huge fan of Ikuma, he was my favorite in AND! Ah yeah, I've checked out REIGN, and while I'm really happy he's still singing and I love to hear his voice, they're so different from AND ;-; I think AND was really inspired by the GazettE tbh, but I'm not really sure what's going on sound-wise with REIGN. Do you have a favorite REIGN song that you might be able to recommend? I really want to like them more haha. Thanks for talking with me!

26 minutes ago, ambivalentideal said:

hello!! that's amazing, I was just wondering how many new fans we have nowadays :') I'm really glad to see new people getting into the scene. oh yeah I totally will! If you're interested in older bands, especially bands from around 2007 to 2009, I am your guy haha. what kinds of bands are you into?

Well my all time favourite VK band will always be Dir En Grey. Second would be The Gazette. Malice Mizer is up there as well.

Many newer bands I have been getting to a lot such as Kizu, DADAROMA and DEVILOOF. I have been getting into a lot of 90s indie VK bands such as BAISER, Aliene Ma'Riage, D'elsquel and NOI'X.  Even some 2000s bands such as Sadie, An Cafe, Rentrer en Soi,  Megaromania and Phantasmagoria. I'm all game for many VK bands, old and new. I'm into the alternative rock, heavy metal, nu metal, progressive rock and pop rock genres so any bands that fit in those categories would be awesome!

Edited by psychonnect_rozen

53 minutes ago, ambivalentideal said:

oh yeah, Rijin? I was listening to it earlier, and I'm really into it! it is fairly different but I think it's great that they have a well-rounded sound. Their vocalist is clearly heavily inspired by Kyo, but I think he brings a lot to the table on his own too. I can already see a huge improvement on his part from their first album to their second, which is super exciting. Honestly I think he's one of the best vocalists in vk in a really long time. Nearly each song I listen to as I go through their music I'm hearing him do something new and successfully at that! Will definitely be following them from here on out.

yeet.  i’ve seen some people complaining that it sounds like dimlim is ripping off diru.  but tbh that’s kinda dumb?  even if there are obvious influences, it’s bound to happen since diru is one of the big boys™️ of vk and all.  i’m p excited to see where dimlim goes.

43 minutes ago, psychonnect_rozen said:

Well my all time favourite VK band will always be Dir En Grey. Second would be The Gazette. Malice Mizer is up there as well.

Many newer bands I have been getting to a lot such as Kizu, DADAROMA and DEVILOOF. I have been getting into a lot of 90s indie VK bands such as BAISER, Aliene Ma'Riage, D'elsquel and NOI'X.  Even some 2000s bands such as Sadie, An Cafe, Rentrer en Soi,  Megaromania and Phantasmagoria. I'm all game for many VK bands, old and new. I'm into the alternative rock, heavy metal, nu metal, progressive rock and pop rock genres so any bands that fit in those categories would be awesome!

those are some of my all time favs too :') cool cool! I like Kizu too, I think they're doing some pretty cool stuff. I'll have to check out the other two. 

if you like old school vk you may like AZALEA. earliest band of vocal Hina (hurts, schwein, etc). hurts were an UNDER CODE band, so if you like phantasmagoria and megaromania you'd probably like them too! that's what my profile pic is from, hurts' single gankyuu x needle. I always loved anything Hina was in, idk why but I really love his voice. I think he's doing some really underground solo stuff nowadays. he looks exactly the same even tho he's like in his 40s lmao.

if you're familiar with D'elsquel i'm sure you know about 9GOATS BLACK OUT, but just in case you don't, I 1000% percent recommend them. It was vocal Ryo's band for a while and to this day they're one of my favorite vk bands of all time. Ryo is an absolute genius imo, and I think his work with that band is still one of the most unique projects in vk. I've always been really in love with his voice too, it has such a unique quality to it and his range is really interesting. he was a graphic designer or something, like i think he did that as his job, designing jacket art for other bands for the years between Gullet disbanding before randomly jumping back into the scene and shocking everyone (lol) with 9goats and how ridiculously good they were. anyway he designed all the jacket art and art design for 9goats and I believe he was the main songwriter. he's fucking amazing and I can't recommend 9goats enough! i'll leave you with those for now and if you're still interested i definitely have more haha. It sounds like you have a pretty wide taste so i'm sure there are a lot of bands you'll like. ^_^  I hope you like these!

59 minutes ago, God said:

yeet.  i’ve seen some people complaining that it sounds like dimlim is ripping off diru.  but tbh that’s kinda dumb?  even if there are obvious influences, it’s bound to happen since diru is one of the big boys™️ of vk and all.  i’m p excited to see where dimlim goes.

lol, yeah. I can get that but also it's not that serious,, like personally I love dir en grey and I think what DIMLIM is doing is fantastic. yeah, exactly. I think that's really cool that we're at that point in the history of vk that bands are inspired by them in that way. same here!