Sign in to follow this  
Traxan

Touring question

I'm curious if anyone knows how international touring for Japanese acts works. Lovebites recently spent 3 weeks in Europe and it turned into a long vacation with a few concert dates. They played Download in England, went to Belgium and played Grasspop a week later, then to Lisbon where they played a week later.

For the girls, it was a three week European vacation interrupted by one gig a week, and in the case of Grasspop, a four song set. You would think that they would play spot gigs, even if it is to 300-400 fans, in between the festival dates. I can't see how in any circumstance the band and label made any money. Can someone explain the logic here?

Their travel fees may have been covered by their label or promoter, or their booking fees made it worth having an extended stay.

From what you described, it sounded like they probably didn't do better than netting even for this trip, but are using it for justification to sight-see, play some short setlists, and then get the exposure in a foreign market at bigger festivals. I don't know the numbers, but if doing this gets 50+ more people to stream their next release and become long-time fans, the pay off comes later.

I think it's even worse for the likes of Satsuki, Mikaru.... where they get ~15-25€ entrance fee from 10-35 people per gig... plus goods... but they have to pay the venue, transportation etc. .....

I mean it's a nice passtime to go to these shows, but I don't think you can make real money from that.... 

Save on hotel costs by sleeping at your friends place/in a van?

13 hours ago, Masato said:

I think it's even worse for the likes of Satsuki, Mikaru.... where they get ~15-25€ entrance fee from 10-35 people per gig... plus goods... but they have to pay the venue, transportation etc. .....

I mean it's a nice passtime to go to these shows, but I don't think you can make real money from that.... 

Save on hotel costs by sleeping at your friends place/in a van?

Or with a mitsu...

14 hours ago, GreatNorthernVK said:

Or with a mitsu...

In Japan yes, during a "world tour" *cough* not so much....

I hear a lot about shows from Europe where there's reportedly only like 10-20 people in the audience and wonder how the bands/management/promoters do it to justify the cost of bringing them over. I can't imagine they're making any money, so do they at least get their money's worth? How do they make it work? 

From my own experience: Small bands mostly use some kind of sponsors, the agencies for Mikaru for example pay the tours from their own pockets partly, also some artists that really want to come over also pay a part of the costs. All the other money comes from ticket sales and merchandise sales. They also stay in a house from the agency to save on hotel costs. I dunno if there's enough left to give money to the artists tho. 
I only helped with one tour so that's all I know for now.

Sign in to follow this