secret_no_03

Child Abuse in Japan

So, apparently it has been getting worse in Japan. I don't know many parents in Japan, so my frame of reference is small, so I'm curious if this is one of those things that's just swept under the rug or even seen as an albeit for lack of a better word...CRAZY way to make children tougher.

Hoo, boy. I could go on about stuff like this for days. I want to be a paediatric therapist in the future and, if possible, an activist for children's rights, so I'm always interested in things like this.

Anyways, I find it interesting that he said this kind of thing is pretty much non-existent in Europe, because from what I've seen, it's really not. In the UK (excluding Wales), it's still legal to smack your child as long as you don't leave a lasting injury, which leads to parents being able to exploit a number of loopholes and employ/promote bad parenting techniques.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/mar/25/smacking-children-to-be-banned-in-wales

Moreover, people barely even care about crimes committed against children. I have an example - just about the most valid one I could provide as it's a very extreme case of abuse, therefore deserves the harshest sentence - but in case you don't want to read it as it is very disturbing, two mothers were given just six years and four months in prison each for severely neglecting their daughter.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/lesbian-mothers-whose-skinny-and-dirty-daughter-two-starved-to-death-in-their-filthy-lice-infested-flat-that-was-filled-with-empty-pot-noodle-cartons-are-jailed-for-six-years-each-after-admitting-neglect/ar-BBSpQBN?ocid=spartandhp

I know those examples aren't Japanese, but I thought they were worth mentioning because I think it's important to realise that this kind of thing is in no way exclusive to Japan. I might just be being biased because of how strongly I feel about such issues, but either way, I think it's worth discussing. That, and I'm not too sure if there's anything I could add to that insightful video regarding Japan.