Masato

The return of the BL fanservice

For a long time I had the impression that boys love antics in fanservice were solwly dying out. But nowadays I feel like it's returning!

Most notable mention here the project band "BL Kingdom" of San and Milk (ex-Lack-co.) 

The whole project was focused on boyslove with instore events where you could have them take on the BL pose of your choice.... 🙈

Then Jewly from Kaitou is a declared "pervert" and alsways harassing the bass player. They do fake-sex videos and you could almost make some p0rn out of it, if you cut it together...

Is the BL back, or do I just follow strange bands? It does make you cringe to have these events.... but on the other hand there seems to be a group of fans for it as the most popular confession in the confessions thread was "reading/writing gay VK fanfiction"...

Hoo boy, can't speak for the current trends but I don't think it will ever die out completely. As long as a big chunk of the fanbase consists of hormonal teenage girls (speaking as a hormonal teenage girl of years past that lively participated in this culture).

I do find it cringey and problematic now that I'm older and wiser, but I get why they're doing this (a disclaimer, by "it" I mean this kind of fanservice and RPF fanfiction not reading/writing gay fanfiction in general). Think of all the queerbaiting in western shows, they do it for a reason also. Not exactly the same, but it serves the same purpose, it keeps a certain type of fans engaged. In this essay I will.... 

Jkjk, I'm not certain you were looking for debate on queer representation, stereoptyping and exploitation in Japanese media? XD

28 minutes ago, spockitty said:

I do find it cringey and problematic now that I'm older and wiser, but I get why they're doing this.

Jkjk, I'm not certain you were looking for debate on queer representation, stereoptyping and exploitation in Japanese media? XD

Hahahaha

Well, I guess it's like the general onnagata thing, someone of the band gets appointed to do these kind of things, if they want or not...

Also band guys often don't even get along so well (disbandment wave...)

But man, when there are rumors you are married and sleeping around with girls and then they pretend this BL stuff at events or on stage I feel it's super forced and it's embarassing to look at.

😑

I would be ok with them just cuddling now and then and saying the other guy is cute or so... 

Don't forget Tomo and Takashi from Dadaroma, although they've calmed down they had a straight up romance going on in the early years of the band. 

I think it's unnecessary and annoying. It makes my eyes roll every time I see band members pretend kiss or whatever. It helps them generate some much needed income though, so what can I say. I'd rather see solo fanservice, like (again) Tomo from DDRM did that photoshoot semi naked with his bass. 

35 minutes ago, Masato said:

(...)if they want or not...

I think that's the main thing I have a problem with in general.

If all of this was genuine or just friendly teasing that everyone involved agreed to and had nothing against? You do you (or your bandmate). But please, in a roomful of supposedly straight men you'll find maybe one or two that would actually be fine with this stuff. 

So with all of that going in my head, I feel doubly embrassased and uncomfortable both on behalf of the band and the fans >.>

3 minutes ago, platy said:

I'd rather see solo fanservice, like (again) Tomo from DDRM did that photoshoot semi naked with his bass. 

YES, humping inanimate objects, while still embarassing, much more acceptable 😎

43 minutes ago, nekkichi said:

gay rights x

Don't gays feel embarassed by the fanservice, too? Or is it hot for them?

But well, I guess it's affirmative that bands still do this, especially when they are small and need more fans... 

But it's seemingly not as common as it used to be.

The only band where I can accept BL and find it funny is Golden Bomber, cause it's super, super, super staged.

Edited by Masato

VIVA LA HETEROS BEING FAKE HOMOS FOR EACH OTHER-OS. LEGGO MY EGGO AND BINGO WAS HIS NAME-O! I can't help to think of Tsu from Mejibray and his bromeo Ryoga from Razor/Born.

10 minutes ago, anadentone said:

VIVA LA HETEROS BEING FAKE HOMOS FOR EACH OTHER-OS. LEGGO MY EGGO AND BINGO WAS HIS NAME-O! I can't help to think of Tsu from Mejibray and his bromeo Ryoga from Razor/Born.

But Genki's waifu is definetly Koichi! No room for no side bromance anymore! *lol*

50 minutes ago, Masato said:

Don't gays feel embarassed by the fanservice, too? Or is it hot for them?

But well, I guess it's affirmative that bands still do this, especially when they are small and need more fans... 

But it's seemingly not as common as it used to be.

The only band where I can accept BL and find it funny is Golden Bomber, cause it's super, super, super staged.

Well, I can't speak for gay men, but as a queer person I can tell you that yep, it's actually pretty insulting.

Of course it comes down to personal feelings, you will find people who don't mind. Me, I don't find it entertaining to have my sexuality performed by straight people, for titillating a crowd that may otherwise find it repulsive. I also don't go on crusades to tear down everyone who enjoys said performances, cause as I said, I get the point. If I can manage to stop my brain from overthinking shit for 5 minutes, I can even get myself to enjoy some of it! ~le gasp~

I also want you to know that I'm trying really hard to limit the rantiness of my ranting, cause as you can probably tell, I have a lot to say on the topic ^^;

For me ,fan service don't disappear but he's not filming. For exemple A9 have many fans services on theirs lives but this is not filmed and other things are sometimes really ambiguous. And I know the homosexuality at Japan is really a taboo.

53 minutes ago, Miku70 said:

homosexuality at Japan is really a taboo.

Is it really? 

As for this topic, I’d say it feels forced. In the video we’re Toshyia and Shinya kiss each other, it’s possible that they were drunk since they seem to have been drinking a lot.

As a bi person, this whole fanservice thing is weird. I don’t like having them being forced to pander to a bunch of girls, especially if they aren’t LGBT. 

13 minutes ago, psychonnect_rozen said:

Is it really? 

As for this topic, I’d say it feels forced. In the video we’re Toshyia and Shinya kiss each other, it’s possible that they were drunk since they seem to have been drinking a lot.

As a bi person, this whole fanservice thing is weird. I don’t like having them being forced to pander to a bunch of girls, especially if they aren’t LGBT. 

It is very much. The LGBT community in Japan is miniscule compared to pretty much anywhere else, they have a small pride parade, but generally gay is humor of Japan. Hell, Hard Gay has made a career on that sensibility of Japanese humor.

21 minutes ago, psychonnect_rozen said:

Is it really? 

https://www3.gomovies.cool/film/gaycation-2016-season-01-23134/watching.html?ep=2689441v2

I don't really mind all the BL fanservice. I don't think it's taking the piss out of homosexuality so much as it is giving the fans a bit of eye candy. Let's be real here, a lot of straight girls (and gay guys for that matter) want to see a couple of hot guys kissing. That's not an opinion, that's just a fact. There's nothing wrong with that at all IMO... of course, there are people who take it to unhealthy extremes, but those people are just nuts and the more "innocent" (for lack of a better word) people who just want to see people kiss and be done with it can't speak for the actions of those who think everyone should do things like that or else they're not as adequate. Guys like seeing girls kiss, girls like seeing guys kiss. Everything is poisonous; it just depends on the dose. That's just the way things is.

1 minute ago, Gesu said:

I don't really mind all the BL fanservice. I don't think it's taking the piss out of homosexuality so much as it is giving the fans a bit of eye candy. Let's be real here, a lot of straight girls (and gay guys for that matter) want to see a couple of hot guys kissing. That's not an opinion, that's just a fact. There's nothing wrong with that at all IMO... of course, there are people who take it to unhealthy extremes, but those people are just nuts and the more "innocent" (for lack of a better word) people who just want to see people kiss and be done with it can't speak for the actions of those who think everyone should do things like that or else they're not as adequate. Guys like seeing girls kiss, girls like seeing guys kiss. Everything is poisonous; it just depends on the dose. That's just the way things is.

Well, I wouldn't say all guys like seeing girls kiss, just like all girls don't like guys kissing; we can't generalize everything here.

2 minutes ago, secret_no_03 said:

Well, I wouldn't say all guys like seeing girls kiss, just like all girls don't like guys kissing; we can't generalize everything here.

I know, I said a lot do. Not all do, but a lot do.

Sadly, LGBT rights in Japan, from my understanding, are pretty much non-existent and discussions of sexuality are not widely talked about like it is in the West. It’s still considered a taboo and general attitudes towards the whole subject are negative on the whole. Not to mention the Japanese culture favors homogenization, or the group mentality, so being different among the “group” is not highly looked upon, and one would most likely be socially ostracized or even bullied (These are not my views on the subject, just something that unfortunately exists ^^;) 

As for the topic, as mentioned before, BL fanservice has been and will always be a thing. I don’t think it ever disappeared or went away. I guess if it brings in money/attention from the fans, it’ll be something that bands will do.