spockitty

VK grandma represent \o/

Welcome my dear children! How's vk doing these days? 😎

I see you can even listen to your weird japanese metal on Spotify, kids have it way too easy nowadays... 

BACK IN MY DAY I had to hunt single songs in 92kbps on dial-up Limewire and half the time ended up with "I did not have sexual relations with that woman.mp3".

Funny story, that's how I got into vk! 13-year-old me was browsing the wide web, probably for some quality Britney Spears, and found a grainy Miyavi's Jibun Kakumei PV instead. With a 20MB download limit per day, I thought CLOSE ENOUGH and the rest is history. 

Now I'm back after over 10 years of impersonating a Serious Adult™ and I have Opinions™ to share. 

Some bands that I used to listen to (some of which are surprisingly still around!): Miyavi (duh), MUCC, Merry, girugamesh, 9GOATS BLACK OUT, Hora, Kaya, Schwarz Stein (can't believe they got back together, it's like I never left!) and the whole shebang, Aural Vampire, Kagrra,, Yoshiki's classical stuff~

And some bands that I've discovered in the past few weeks and absolutely love: Initial'L and consequently Lycaon, DIMLIM, Xaa-Xaa~

Also, I'm Anna 💩

P.S. I also listen to a lot of kpop, all kinds of electronic and celtic music; don't expect there to be much overlap but you never know! if your music taste is as all over the place as mine, hit me up, we can share obscure recommendations! :D

3 minutes ago, Arkady said:

Hello, fellow "oldie"! 😉

Hello hello!

I see a lot of returning-after-10-years posts in the welcome section, wonder what's that all about~ *cough*middle life crisis*cough* ;)

Hi there! Your introduction brought a smile to my face, so you seem like good pplz already! Welcome to the forum!

I went ahead and followed you back on last.fm btw! Make yourself at home, and hope to see you around!  :D

8 minutes ago, CAT5 said:

Hi there! Your introduction brought a smile to my face, so you seem like good pplz already! Welcome to the forum!

I went ahead and followed you back on last.fm btw! Make yourself at home, and hope to see you around!  :D

Haha oops, my stealthy creeping around people's last.fm's turned out not to be so stealthy ^^; I'm just desperate for recommendations sorry sorry

Thanks tho! All the screaming, drama and panache I already feel like home :D

21 minutes ago, spockitty said:

I'm just desperate for recommendations sorry sorry

ahaha, i feel ya. Well, VK is not really my wheelhouse, but if you need any non-VK J-rock recommendations, I gotchu all day!

1 minute ago, CAT5 said:

ahaha, i feel ya. Well, VK is not really my wheelhouse, but if you need any non-VK J-rock recommendations, I gotchu all day!

well, I went on your profile, recognised one band out of 15 and decided you'll be a perfect source of stuff I'd normally not be exposed to ;) no pressure~

1 hour ago, platy said:

Welcome to MH, we house some of the oldest vk fans in the around. I'm sure you'll find your stay comfortable and pleasant. 

Thanks ^^

My last experience with a vk forum was 15 years ago and that one went down in flames after some savage drama, so here's hoping for pleasant 😅 

I relate on you on so many levels, it’s not even funny anymore.

just went with friends to a gazette concert and we called each other vk grannies, so there is that. Also discovered vk when I was 13.

Welcome to the forum!

9 minutes ago, AwesomeNyappy said:

I relate on you on so many levels, it’s not even funny anymore.

just went with friends to a gazette concert and we called each other vk grannies, so there is that. Also discovered vk when I was 13.

Welcome to the forum!

Haha hello fellow elder!

With the response I'm getting I'm starting to wonder if the vk fandom is a dying breed, or the young innocents are just too embarrassed to be seen with us ^^;

5 hours ago, psychonnect_rozen said:

Wow! Nice to see someone like you here! I hope you have a good time on here!

Yey, thank you! :) I already am, just need to get up to speed on 10 years worth of industry dama and I'm set to go :D

3 hours ago, chemicalpictures said:

So are we calling 23yo people old now? I guess me and some other fellas here already on our thirties gotta start applying for retirement or smh, lol

Welcome to MH! Have a good one!

Nope, I'm calling 23-year-olds a bunch of fetuses ^.~ I know I look young but why won't you let me sit at the 30ties table? T.T 

Aaaah, wait, I see what caused the confusion. Yes, I've started listening to vk at 13, but then stopped at like 18 or sth and now I'm back after over 10-years. There~ 

8 hours ago, spockitty said:

Haha hello fellow elder!

With the response I'm getting I'm starting to wonder if the vk fandom is a dying breed, or the young innocents are just too embarrassed to be seen with us ^^;

Ah, sadly I think the vk scene is dying on us. I mean, there are some youngsters, sure, but they are not enough. And a lot of old vk fans stop listening to it. I’ve also had breaks in between where I’d been less interested, but overall I still enjoyed the music, so there’s that.

I’d say that anyone over 25 can be considered a granny in the vk scene 😄

35 minutes ago, AwesomeNyappy said:

Ah, sadly I think the vk scene is dying on us. I mean, there are some youngsters, sure, but they are not enough. And a lot of old vk fans stop listening to it. I’ve also had breaks in between where I’d been less interested, but overall I still enjoyed the music, so there’s that.

I’d say that anyone over 25 can be considered a granny in the vk scene 😄

Now that's just sad :( So basically what you're saying is we need to launch aggresive recruiting tactics on a massive scale or we're doomed for extinction. 

It's kinda baffling also, because as I said at the beginning, it's SO easy to get into vk these days. Everything is readily available on Spotify, YT, insta etc., with minimal effort. So maybe access is not the problem but stagnation? Idk idk, I do feel like not much has changed in vk those 10 years I've been gone and the rest of the world has not stopped spinning in the meantime. So either they adapt or like you said, die out like the dinosaurs of the past era.

Sorry, I'm killing time at the mechanic and the longer I philosophize the less time I have to spend staring at a blank wall ^^;

1 hour ago, spockitty said:

Idk idk, I do feel like not much has changed in vk those 10 years I've been gone

You missed cheki explosion. Before going into hiatus myself I didn't even know they existed (if they) now half VK marketplaces in the west are cheki (I'm not into them but I'm not meaning it's a bad thing they are popular, it's only that I was surprised how popular they were when I returned)

Edited by Arkady

You missed cheki explosion. Before going into hiatus myself I didn't even know they existed (if they) now half VK marketplaces in the west are cheki (I'm not into them but I'm not meaning it's a bad thing they are popular, it's only that I was surprised how popular they were when I returned)

Haha yeah, I noticed it mentioned here and there and had no idea what it was until I dug some more.

I don't remember those being a thing, but then again I've never had a chance to participate in live vk outside of European concerts and those bands don't need this kind of tactics. I do remember though printed trading cards/polaroids with band members being added to CDs and crazy fans buying like 10 copies to get the member they liked O-O In that context, chekis are far more reasonable. 

EDIT: ahh, how do u forum

Edited by spockitty

Hey welcome! I also started listening to VK when I was very young (16) I'm 28 nearly 29 now haha. I remember using limewire to download VK as well. Started with X JAPAN, Miyavi, Dir en grey and the GazettE back in 2006. I'm still listening to VK after all these years. Anywayz hope you have fun on here! If you're looking for new bands or bands you don't know, send me a message! Have a good day!

2 minutes ago, Alsdead14 said:

Hey welcome! I also started listening to VK when I was very young (16) I'm 28 nearly 29 now haha. I remember using limewire to download VK as well. Started with X JAPAN, Miyavi, Dir en grey and the GazettE back in 2006. I'm still listening to VK after all these years. Anywayz hope you have fun on here! If you're looking for new bands or bands you don't know, send me a message! Have a good day!

Hello and thank you! :)

And do you still listen to the same bands you were at the beginning? Because I don't know about the others but Miyavi's music today and in early 00's is like night and day. As big of a die hard fan I used to be back then, it's just not my cup of tea anymore~

Welcome to the forum fellow granny/veteran, I'm also on the way-above-30ties-table, I rather not dwell into how far I'm into the 30ties now XD but I can relate to all the things mentioned like dial-up connections and downloading videos with very low quality that for me were the equivalent of HD 1080 XD  my sources were mostly homestead jmusic pages I happen to find (I think homestead doesn't even exist anymore).  It's good to have more old vkei fans join the forum so we can reminisce about how things were in terms of vkei in those times xD  I hope you find some new bands to enjoy, i'm still following my old bands from the past and going into jpop/mainstream jrock too.