Sign in to follow this  
secret_no_03

The art of ever-changing hair in visual kei.

Okay, so I have to ask this, it's something that has drove me crazy for like a year. How do VK guys dye their half so often and not completely kill their hair? I know that Japan has a lot of semi permanent dyes (the west does too) and colored wax (not so much) , but yeah. Just curious about some insight. Dying your hair every other month isn't out of the realm of possibility, but every month or multiple times a month is, unless Japan has some miraculous thing. I used to think it was just semi you put on top, but too many guys go from colored hair to blonde and there's no wax or dye for that as far as I know, you have to bleach it. 

Any insight is greatly appreciated, I am completely ignorant to the methods outside of having it professionally dyed all the time, the health of the hair being a central part of my confusion.

Schwarzkopf BLONDME is what I know most use. I dye my hair multiple times a year; grey is the easiest to take care of because all you need is purple shampoo, and wash your hair every other day. Also Olaplex, because if you have shit hair after all that bleaching, it helps it strengthen it. Once you bleach your hair, it only take like an hour to take away whatever color it was, and then you can dye it again and re-strengthen it with olaplex and such.

Edit: Also some of them use fake bangs and weaves.

Edited by JRD

Dying your hair with crazy color like vk bandmen do is not that damaging because the dye using for these is non permanent so there's not that much chemical products in there. Now bleaching your hair is what is damaging and is what they to do for those crazy colors. 

Believe me most of vk bandmen have fucked up hair because of that lol, especially japanese people who have very dark hair, it's a lot more work to obtain that platinum blond you need for that bright blue hair. Now with a lot styling techniques and products, you can make your hair beautiful and healthy while in reality your hair is dead 😊 ( which is the case here in vk)

As said above, sometimes wigs, weaves and hair clips are used to obtain that cool vk hairstyle

On 6/13/2019 at 8:32 AM, secret_no_03 said:

Dying your hair every other month isn't out of the realm of possibility, but every month or multiple times a month is, unless Japan has some miraculous thing.

japanese hair treatments are generally way stronger than what most of western, even salon exclusive brands, and Asian hair can handle quite a bit more chemical abuse;

it's all about maintenance, excessive styling is way worse on hair than regular bleaching and dyeing, and bandmen do both

I'm considering investing into a bunch of weaves myself bc. I know I can't be bothered to grow out hair past a certain lenght only to fry it over a year of regular lightening, or so;

also the regular hair treatment/upkeep costs are getting so high if you're bleaching black into a light blonde it p much makes no difference at that point.

also you generally see bandmen under really strong stage lighting that makes styled hair look shinier and healthier than it does irl, same trick is used in hair commercials too.

Edited by nekkichi

Also bandmen look terrible out of make up/hairdo with a zillion products thrown in

^ been dyeing my hair for 4? years and it looks like that. lol. damage is unavoidable, but as long as it doesn't fall out who cares really

Those are horrible dye jobs and their stylist or hairdresser should be immediately fired. My hair has never looked like that ever, and I had platinum blond and now titanium grey. The only thing that makes my hair frizz out like that if it is wet and I don't blow dry it at all. I use a flat iron to straighten it out and it comes out natural looking.  

12 minutes ago, JRD said:

Those are horrible dye jobs and their stylist or hairdresser should be immediately fired.

quick question - you've mentioned blondme hair bleach, and schwarzkopf doesn't list that line on their japanese website (japanese product line/usa website), do they just use imported products over there, or I'm missing something?

I know that japanese hairdye is a no-no on caucasians, it fries everything it touches and russian heffas in japan usually complain they are refused dyeing jobs in salons bc. hairdressers are aware of that;

I also remember schwarzkopf in particular used to have japanese-only products, but it was like ten years ago and they revamp their entire line-up ever so often

(I know that they still make their japanese formulas domestically, their stuff for other markets is all made, like, in Slovenia or something)

46 minutes ago, nekkichi said:

quick question - you've mentioned blondme hair bleach, and schwarzkopf doesn't list that line on their japanese website (japanese product line/usa website), do they just use imported products over there, or I'm missing something?

I know that japanese hairdye is a no-no on caucasians, it fries everything it touches and russian heffas in japan usually complain they are refused dyeing jobs in salons bc. hairdressers are aware of that;

I also remember schwarzkopf in particular used to have japanese-only products, but it was like ten years ago and they revamp their entire line-up ever so often

(I know that they still make their japanese formulas domestically, their stuff for other markets is all made, like, in Slovenia or something)

Yeah the name a formula has changed over the years and they still use Schwarzkopf. It has a different name over there in Japan, Fibreplex now?, but they don't import, they use their own Schwarzkopf bleach line since it's super more concentrated on Asian hair,

but it's bleach me blond in the US. Schwarzkopf brand for bleaching hair. I have really thick hair for an Asian person; so my hair doesn't get damaged like crazy like some people. Someone should send them olaplex if their hair is that damaged. eek.

Edited by JRD

1 hour ago, JRD said:

Yeah the name a formula has changed over the years and they still use Schwarzkopf. It has a different name over there in Japan, Fibreplex now?, but they don't import, they use their own Schwarzkopf bleach line since it's super more concentrated on Asian hair,

but it's bleach me blond in the US. Schwarzkopf brand for bleaching hair. I have really thick hair for an Asian person; so my hair doesn't get damaged like crazy like some people. Someone should send them olaplex if their hair is that damaged. eek.

perfect, ty <33

I think that chickboy heffa might gone a bit too hard on a hair texturizer, but junno's mop has been a running joke here ever since he came back, i don't know how that happened tbh

Sign in to follow this