secret_no_03

Visual Kei in film and television

So, I was watching Boys Over Flowers on Netflix with the SO and it got me thinking...Has there ever been a movie or TV series based around VK? Since probably not you can lump in movies starring VK artists, so Set El Hoth, Moon Child, Oresama.

UnsraW was supposed to be in a movie of some sort, but I don't think it actually got filmed.

There was also supposed to be some sort of glossy, hallmark channel, ~life of a bandman~ movie that I recall reading about, but I don't know what became of it. 

There's also that X movie, and the movie with P!nk in it that Violet UK wrote the theme for.

that Genesis dude from Suicide Club could for all intents and purposes be a vk musician

I think there was a movie with some of the PSC bands/members in it. Never watched it before, so I couldn't tell you how it is. although probably not that great...

12 minutes ago, YuyoDrift said:

@secret_no_03 So I'm guessing that you saw the other drama (Shut Up) Flower Boy Band?

Thats the one I thought you were referring to lol.

Never heard of it. It was just a random thought, not connected to what I was watching atm considering BOF is a Korean drama.

1 hour ago, Peace Heavy mk II said:

UnsraW was supposed to be in a movie of some sort, but I don't think it actually got filmed.

Yes It exists. But not really interesting. It's only a 2seconds flashback showing a live part without sound. 

Also, Mao(Sadie) voice was used for a song in the live action movie of Beck. 

Edited by xriko

50 minutes ago, monkeybanana4 said:

I think there was a movie with some of the PSC bands/members in it. Never watched it before, so I couldn't tell you how it is. although probably not that great...

9 minutes ago, platy said:

Takeru from SuG starred in a movie. Was probably garbage, but hey. 

yep, Beatrock love starring Takeru and featuring Alice Nine, about a fictional vk band played by actors that didn’t even look vk
http://asianwiki.com/Beatrock_Love

AYABIE were also in a movie called enishi
https://youtu.be/vmAqZT8aKSk

Here are a few other movies starring vk bandomen

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Tokage said:

that Genesis dude from Suicide Club could for all intents and purposes be a vk musician

The guy playing him is actually a well-known glam rocker, haha! It's Rolly Teranishi, the singer/guitarist from the band SCANCH.

...almost-kinda VK I guess.

Edited by Jigsaw9

btw the anime series / live-action adaptation of Detroit Metal City could be a pretty accurate portrayal of the average VK musician (even though it's just about some 'standard' metal band). Keeping up the appearance of being br00tal and edgy on stage while secretly wanting to play soft J-pop (looking at you, Tsuzuku, Juri & co)...

1 minute ago, Jigsaw9 said:

btw the anime series / live-action adaptation of Detroit Metal City could be a pretty accurate portrayal of the average VK musician (even though it's just about some 'standard' metal band). Keeping up the appearance of being br00tal and edgy on stage while secretly wanting to play soft J-pop (looking at you, Tsuzuku, Juri & co)...

Oop, that reminded me. Some bad anime about bombs (Btooom?) had a scene where a group of ~glamorous~ men with brightly colored hair lure a bunch of high school girls home and assault them, with the ring leader being named "Yayoi."

Unintentionally became a docu-series

26 minutes ago, Jigsaw9 said:

The guy playing him is actually a well-known glam rocker, haha! It's Rolly Teranishi, the singer/guitarist from the band SCANCH.

...almost-kinda VK I guess.

yeah, i've listened to some of his albums (solo stuff & some of the stuff by The Manji), pretty fun

and let's be real, glam rock is p much vk in all but the name lol

@Peace Heavy mk II That reminds me, the parody anime "Excel Saga" actually has some VK in it. Episode 21 is literally titled "Visual K", starring a VK-type rocker dude called Key and his weird antics. Also in one of the episodes (might be ep.1?) the evil mastermind boss of the protagonist is trying to learn guitar and then he's rocking out with a bunch of colorfully dressed up dudes while shouting "visual visual visual!" lmao.

4758-497103606.jpg

3 hours ago, chipathy said:

I'm like 69% sure I read somewhere that Mao from Sadie/The THIRTEEN was in some TV drama but maybe I imagined that

He was! It was a BL movie.

It's not about VK, but DAISUKE, YOU and Yuu from THE SOUND BEE HD are in a movie called "BUGS". I don't really know any details about it except that it's being produced by the singer from the band mil9 and it's described as a "non-stop action movie".

https://bugsmovie.jp/

I remember someone mentioning that Kyan Yutaka from Golden Bomber acts, although I've never seen anything he was in.

There's a list here: http://asianwiki.com/Yutaka_Kyan

^Looks like all of the members of Golden Bomber acted in a few of the High & Low movies starring members of EXILE. Didn't know that.

Edited by violetchain