Kiyoharu is God

LUNA SEA new album titled "CROSS"

https://natalie.mu/music/news/333445

Google translate:

It has been announced that LUNA SEA will release its 10th original album (title undecided) this December.

This album release was announced today on May 29, the 30th anniversary of the band, at a free live show exclusive to fan club "SLAVE" members held in Zepp Tokyo. The album features U2, The Rolling Stones, Peter Gabriel and others, producer Steve Lilly White, who has won five Grammy awards.

LUNA SEA has produced all their albums of the past by self-production, and this album is the first to receive a co-producer. This is also the first time Steve has joined a Japanese artist's work.

Edited by Kiyoharu is God

Good to see they're being so active, but I don't have any high hopes for this. To this day I've listened to their "LUV" album a grand total of... one time, and have no desire whatsoever to revisit it (nor "A WILL"). :-( 

An outside producer eh? And a big name producer too?
I haven't really listened to Lillywhite's work outside of an occasional U2 song in passing but isn't he one of those producer's whose touch is virtually invisible? Someone who helps the band get the best version of themselves out there like Rick Rubin? If so, will he really  be able to add much to LS during the band's album making process? Does the band even have a process anymore or has it just members sending each other demos back and forth?
Would Lillywhite even be sitting in during sessions or just giving pointers remotely?

No matter the results, I guess you could at least say Luna Sea is trying to spice up the marriage. It's more than could be said about other bands of their vintage.

Awesome, I'll be waiting. My only concern is Ryuichi's lack of control of his vibratos that was nearly unbearable when listening to the album title song LUV.

This is awesome news. Also hoping for them to world tour since it's their 30th Anniversary. I really wanna attend their show at least once more. Especially after Ryuichi's health scare earlier this year.

So the album is called CROSS and will come out on December 18th. 宇宙の詩 〜Higher and Higher〜 and 悲壮美 will be there, as well as 9 other new songs.

The album will be released in SIX fucking types and I'm sure as hell not posting every single detail here, but everything can be found in the special website made for the album and it's all easy to understand.

Edited by saishuu

i thought that was some new tekken character for a hot second there

song sounds good! reminds me of stuff from shine at times, i'm not against it. honestly, this one might turn out better than luv or a will.

I’m liking it too, I have pretty good expectations for the album. I’ve liked their last two albums but they also both lost a lot of replay value over the years. 

Tracklist:

01. LUCA
02. PHILIA
03. Closer
04. THE BEYOND
05. You’re knocking at my door
06. 宇宙の詩 (Sora no uta) 〜Higher and Higher〜
07. anagram
08. 悲壮美 (Hisoubi)
09. Pulse
10. 静寂 (Seijaku)
11. so tender…

Cover art:

SVua7Gw.jpg

Edited by Jigsaw9

It's out!

But sadly this album sounds mediocore at it's best.. Maybe it clicks with me after a few spins.

Outstanding tracks for me so far: PHILIA, anagram (what a beauty!) and 宇宙の詩 〜Higher and Higher〜.

This album might be a grower for me too. While listening to it for the first time I completely forgot that Steve Lillywhite produced this.
anagram is good but then in Sugizo's Q&A on twitter, a fan pointed out the similarity to their b-side Ray and then I listened to that again and realized how great that track and their other early B-Sides are.

It’s... fine? 

I mean it’s not great, but it’s way more interesting to listen to than A Will and Luv. I actually like more than two tracks on this one. 

IMO it was actually the worst LUNA SEA album. All songs kind of sound the same, which's a shame, since most of what they released after the revival was fine by me.

That's the best they can do these days

bring_it_on_g3_758_427_81_s.jpg

Only thing that kept me in is that I am grateful they are still making music. But I really hope they can make another masterpiece before someone died and they call it quits for real for real. I have a scare when hearing about cancer surgery that Ryuichi went through. It is early this year, I believe. Anything can happen from this moment on.