psychonnect_rozen

Music that does not align with your usual tastes?

Can't really think of any other than a few pop rock and pop artists. Panic!, Marina, Swift, FOB, CHVRCHES, Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Garbage. I'm an alternative kid basically.  

EDIT: Oh and Gorillaz, never forget Gorillaz. They will always be one of my most beloved bands. Saw them live in Montreal back in October. Best thing ever

Edited by psychonnect_rozen

7 minutes ago, Gesu said:

I like some of Billie Eilish's stuff.

Not a huge fan of her, although I loved her debut album. Although I can't stand it when people call her "underrated". She's not overrated, but far from underrated. Bad Guy is on the damn radio 24/7.

EDIT: I retract the overrated statement. She is definitely overrated, but not in a bad way. 

I love music of all kinds (maybe except reggaeton or lamestream pop) but I grew up loving rock music (especially emo rock, then later death/black metal), and absolutely hating rap. In recent years however, I've been listening to a lot more rap than usual, and it all started with those vaporwave/Trappin in Japan videos on Youtube that really gave me that "rap renaissance" if you get what I'm saying. Now I mainly listen to rap casually along with vk or other music sometimes, which my younger self would have never imagined beyond her wildest dreams.

7 minutes ago, suji said:

absolutely hating rap

My 14-year-old edgelord phase was exactly like that. Hating rap and everything mainstream.

Next thing you know, I'm enjoying Kendrick, Gambino, and Kanye. Legit tho, MBDTF is amazing. Hell, I even got around to listening to some artists my friends showed me. 

Eh, I don't hate mainstream pop honestly, it just gets tiring after hearing it on the radio 24/7. Even the artists I like, their #1 songs that get played on the radio get annoying after a while.  The only thing I absolutely hate is K-POP. 

Grammar

Nowadays, honestly? Most of VK, to some degree. Falls outside of what I usually get super into outside of the whole VK spectrum, so to speak.

Outside of that, maybe Kacey Musgraves, Halsey, random 90s rock bands, etc.

Edited by nomemorial

My tastes are all over the place, but I can give two examples:

One glaring example is related to classical music. I don't really like anything in the "classical" realm (especially Russian classical) other than certain French classical composers (Satie, Ravel, Debussy, etc.) I like the calmer, whimsical style, everything else I find kind of grating.  I have a much more diverse interest in Jazz (which has crept its way/has influences other genres I like.)

I much prefer bluegrass over country, but I do listen to 70's/80's country (John Denver and George Strait.)  Can't stand most modern country hits/ "hick-hop", which runs rampant on my local radio stations.

Edited by colorful人生

i am 24/7 into the metal/rock world,but here and there i appreciate:

Lana Del Rey, Birdy,First Aid Kit , Alexandra Savior,Regina Spektor 

Edited by Euronymous

For me, I weirdly enjoy some of Three Six Mafia, which is weird because I absolutely hate most modern rap (I'm that one person who still listens to the 80's guys from NY lol), and Three Six Mafia really popularised trap-beats (though the basic premise of it has been a thing since Miami Bass). Though, the way they did it feels more organic and less boring than most trap beats. Plus, I like DJ Paul's rapping style, which again, is weird because I hate the majority of Southern Rap styles (except him, Ludacris, and the old school ones). I can't stand "Sipping on some syrup" though, because I absolutely hate the glorification of prescription drugs that has plagued Hip Hop starting in the late 90's, but really became big post 2010. Also, where I'm from, stuff like that is so normalised and is seen as in inherent part of Southern Hip Hop culture. Essentially, the triple six is mainly a guilty pleasure for me, because I'm basically the Hip Hop equivalent of those guys who act like Nirvana ruined rock. (Only, I at least try to be open minded and try new stuff.)

And while I don't like the majority of Kpop, I do like Seo Taiji and Boys, because of how experimental they were and their whole thing was essentially flavor of the moment. One album is like New Jack Swing with some metal riffs sampled here and there, another album is like full on metal, and their last one even forayed into G-Funk a bit.

Shazna is another one for me, because pop rock isn't my thing, but their music is really nice feel-good music. Also, Izam is a literal goddess and I strive to achieve his levels of androgyny.

5 hours ago, Himeaimichu said:

I can't stand "Sipping on some syrup" though, because I absolutely hate the glorification of prescription drugs that has plagued Hip Hop

True. I can’t stand shitty artists like XXXTENTACION (overrated and definitely does not deserve the praise he gets), Lil Pump, 6ix9ne, or any other goofy lookin “rapper.” Whenever people say they like them I’m just like “Ugh, find better music”. I try to ignore them though.

I don’t necessarily hate the topic of drugs in songs as many are really good ( Lookin at you egnirys cimredopyh +) An Injection) as long as it’s done in an artistic or sarcastic manner. But if your just bragging about how much chicks or how much drugs you did, it’s fucking lazy, annoying and stupid.

those guys who act like Nirvana ruined rock

Oh trust me, I know a guy. To be fair, I honestly don’t like people who think that. It’s so annoying and honestly I feel like they have never heard a Nirvana song other than Teen Spirit. 

I don't like the majority of Kpop

Same. It’s annoying to hear about the new BTS song everyday from a bunch of annoying fans. I know someone who’s a fan of KPOP but we often jokingly make of fun of each other. I like to annoy her and say VK is superior in every way XD

I absolutely hate most modern rap

If you said ALL rap sucks, I would have been mad, but oh well. It’s cool if you don’t like rap! 😊

While Hip Hop isn’t my top favourite genre of music, I enjoy listening to it from time to time. Granted, there are extremely shitty artists (Lookin at you 6ix9ne and Logic), but there are soooo many good artists out there. I got some recommendations here if you want:

- Childish Gambino

- Tyler The Creator

- Brockhampton 

- Kendrick Lamar

- Kanye West 

- Kids See Ghosts (the self titled album they put out is one of my favourite Hip Hop albums)

You may have heard of some of them or have listened to their music, but there is so many good modern rappers out there. Just gotta find the right one! 

33 minutes ago, psychonnect_rozen said:

- Childish Gambino

- Tyler The Creator

- Brockhampton 

- Kendrick Lamar

- Kanye West 

- Kids See Ghosts (the self titled album they put out is one of my favourite Hip Hop albums)

You may have heard of some of them or have listened to their music, but there is so many good modern rappers out there. Just gotta find the right one! 

Oh yeah, I know Childish Gambino, Tyler the Creator and Kendrick very well! They have really nice skills. I also like Denzel Curry. I think he has some bars.
Really though, my kind of thing when it comes to Hip Hop is not only good rhymes, but good beats, which I feel isn't as common any more since every song nowadays uses trap beats. (Which I don't 100% hate, it has it's place, it's just so regurgitated). I really like the kind of beatwork from the early 2000's from producers like Dr. Dre, Pharrel, and Timbaland, because they tried to push the limits of what Hip Hop is, and used a lot of cool samples. Also, I like how the drums would change up a lot, and I wish more songs today were like that. Stuff like "How we do" by The Game and pretty much anything by Missy Elliot is like my bread and butter lol.

Oh, also, there is British Grime, which is guaranteed to have good rhymes and good beats, because of the unique dialect they're done in (It almost sounds Jamaican, which would make sense, since a lot of the rappers have partial or full Jamaican ancestry, as well as the general Jamaican Dialect being influenced by British), as well as the music being inspired by UK Garage, so you got a lot of that cool, intense electronic sounds, lots of it in minor key. Essentially, Britain is sort of holding the Hip-Hop tradition way better than the US lol

39 minutes ago, psychonnect_rozen said:

Same. It’s annoying to hear about the new BTS song everyday from a bunch of annoying fans. I know someone who’s a fan of KPOP but we often jokingly make of fun of each other. I like to annoy her and say VK is superior in every way XD

Yeah I just don't see the big deal in the genre because it's mostly pop, but then again, music is subjective and while the I–V–vi–IV personally is grating to me, there are people who authentically enjoy it, so I can't judge them. I just have odd tastes. I will say, I do like Psy because he breaks the industry standard, and actually had to fight censorship to get his music out there when he first started out (Seo Taiji and Boys had to do the same thing) so I really admire that.

44 minutes ago, psychonnect_rozen said:

I don’t necessarily hate the topic of drugs in songs as many are really good ( Lookin at you egnirys cimredopyh +) An Injection) as long as it’s done in an artistic or sarcastic manner. But if your just bragging about how much chicks or how much drugs you did, it’s fucking lazy, annoying and stupid.

Oh yeah, there is definitely a right way to do it and there are a lot of artists who do. Especially IryouKei bands that often use it as a horror element. I just hate that it's so normalised to see xanny bars and sizzurp cups in music videos. I mean, say what you want about the old school days, even though it was the crack epidemic, you didn't have them smoking from a crackpipe in the music video (unless it was being portrayed in a negative sense). Then again, censorship was bigger back then. I mean, they used to censor the word gun lol. So maybe I shouldn't complain, since laws are now lax and people have more freedom to express themselves, which I'm for. Plus, if I can enjoy my weed music, they have just as much a right to enjoy their sizzurp music. 

2 minutes ago, Himeaimichu said:

Oh yeah, I know Childish Gambino, Tyler the Creator and Kendrick very well! They have really nice skills. I also like Denzel Curry. I think he has some bars.
Really though, my kind of thing when it comes to Hip Hop is not only good rhymes, but good beats, which I feel isn't as common any more since every song nowadays uses trap beats. (Which I don't 100% hate, it has it's place, it's just so regurgitated). I really like the kind of beatwork from the early 2000's from producers like Dr. Dre, Pharrel, and Timbaland, because they tried to push the limits of what Hip Hop is, and used a lot of cool samples. Also, I like how the drums would change up a lot, and I wish more songs today were like that. Stuff like "How we do" by The Game and pretty much anything by Missy Elliot is like my bread and butter lol.

Oh, also, there is British Grime, which is guaranteed to have good rhymes and good beats, because of the unique dialect they're done in (It almost sounds Jamaican, which would make sense, since a lot of the rappers have partial or full Jamaican ancestry, as well as the general Jamaican Dialect being influenced by British), as well as the music being inspired by UK Garage, so you got a lot of that cool, intense electronic sounds, lots of it in minor key. Essentially, Britain is sort of holding the Hip-Hop tradition way better than the US lol

The first thing you should do is to look outside of the top 20 charts. Because there's not a lack of rapper who either go fully old school, lean towards the old school or just experiment quite a lot. I can see artists and groups like Run the Jewels, EL-P, Killer Mike, Czarface, Ruste Juxx, Reks, Earl Sweatshirt, Flatbush Zombies, Chance the Rapper, Freddie Gibbs, Madvillain and more just to mention some.

And then you have legends like Ghostface Killah releasing Twelve Reasons to Die in 2013 and Twelve Reasons to Die II in 2015, both among the best hip hop albums ever released.

So hip hop is still going strong in the US. Hip hop is a lot more than what the teens listens to today, just like Jrock and visual kei are way more than anime openings and endings.

13 minutes ago, Bear said:

The first thing you should do is to look outside of the top 20 charts. Because there's not a lack of rapper who either go fully old school, lean towards the old school or just experiment quite a lot. I can see artists and groups like Run the Jewels, EL-P, Killer Mike, Czarface, Ruste Juxx, Reks, Earl Sweatshirt, Flatbush Zombies, Chance the Rapper, Freddie Gibbs, Madvillain and more just to mention some.

And then you have legends like Ghostface Killah releasing Twelve Reasons to Die in 2013 and Twelve Reasons to Die II in 2015, both among the best hip hop albums ever released.

So hip hop is still going strong in the US. Hip hop is a lot more than what the teens listens to today, just like Jrock and visual kei are way more than anime openings and endings.

I know who those people are and I'm fans of a lot of them lol. I just wish the popular stuff was still good.