psychonnect_rozen

Good VK nu metal albums?

I can't really recommend albums, but more of artists, since a lot of the artists I listen to were in multiple bands and didn't release albums lol. 

Yuuga from Devil Kitty briefly had a solo project, and released one full length, which was mainly rerecordings of Devil Kitty songs, and two mini albums, which was his foray into Nu Metal. Gokiburi would continue this for their first era, but after that, he switched to Deathcore, and Metalcore with his "revival" of Devil Kitty (AKA he considers it a completely different band from the other Devil Kitty). 

Spoiler

Cuartet is a Visual Kei band that could be seen as a "brother band" of the GazettE, their vocalist being the dude who did vocals for Kar+te=zyanose when Ruki was a drummer. One of their guitarists was originally in Ma'die Kusse, but he left the band before their first single (he was only on Koishigure, a song released on the Eternal Records Kaleidoscope omnibus). Their style is like the GazettE's was from 2002 to 2005, although much more raw. Sadly, their production was shit, because their producer, Yayoi (owner of Eternal, the Tokyo sublabel of Kisaki's Matina, and it's successor, Climax Enterprise. The GazettE was signed to the former originally) kinda didn't put a lot of effort into the mixing. I mean, even the other bands on the label have better production. Otherwise, these guys are a cult-classic and are a must-listen for anyone who likes early Gazetto. 

Spoiler

DEZERT used to regularly mix Korn Metal with elements of early and mid 2000's Visual Kei. Lots of Kagerou, Girugamesh, and Mucc influences, as well as some more weirder influences, like Guruguru Eigakan.  However, as of recent, they've switched to pop rock.

Spoiler

Kuroyuri to Kage is a similar band to DEZERT, although with their own distinct flavor. They were originally called Memento Mori and had a distinct traditional Japanese theme, but they expanded to a more Eroguro inspired theme with Kuroyuri. The lead singer's current band, Gulu Gulu, continues this style. 

Spoiler

*cough*
According to the potentially erroneous tags in my music library, the following come up when searched for VisualKei/NuMetal:
DEATHGAZE - BLISS OUT

DEATHGAZE - CREATURE

D'espairsRay - MIRROR

D'espairsRay - REDEEMER (this one even I'm doubting already)

DEZERT - 精神科医(拒食症)のスナッフフィルム集

DEZERT - 「暫定的オカルト週刊誌①」

DEZERT - 「最高の食卓」

DEZERT - 完売音源集-暫定的オカルト週刊誌②-

DEZERT - TODAY

Dir en grey - VULGAR

EAT YOU ALIVE - REVIVE

Girugamesh - 【獄-初犯型円盤-】初回限定盤

Girugamesh - 【理性壊乱】-乱調型円盤-

Girugamesh - 13's Reborn

Girugamesh - volcano

Girugamesh - Reason of Crying

Mucc - 朽木の灯

OZ - Versus

OZ - Rouge

Grains of salt, of course.

Edited by NICKT

I'd make an argument that most heavier leaning bands (and honestly, any "heavy" tracks from less traditionally heavy bands) of the 2000-2010 period are pretty nu-metal leaning. As far as full albums, I definitely can't disagree with the statements above (especially MUCC's Kuchiki no Tou).

For more recent bands, I think Kuroyuri to Kage is the best example of a band doing the nu-metal thing and doing it well. I think their song structures are interesting and Karasuna Mei is a very compelling frontman, which really sets them apart from other acts in the genre.