psychonnect_rozen

Band that everyone hates but you adore?

20 minutes ago, Ruri said:

mejibray... i don't get why people don't like them tbh

Tzk's voice was messy to say the least. Either you learn to love it or you don't. Also because of their popularity blowing up, people got sick of seeing them everywhere. I'd also say, the fact that the bulk of their (western) fans seem to be forever 12 years old and extremely loud added to the hate. 

2 hours ago, platy said:

Tzk's voice was messy to say the least. Either you learn to love it or you don't. Also because of their popularity blowing up, people got sick of seeing them everywhere. I'd also say, the fact that the bulk of their (western) fans seem to be forever 12 years old and extremely loud added to the hate. 

i found his voice grating the first time i listened to them but it kinda grew on me. i have a real soft spot for dramatic over-singing tho

4 hours ago, Ruri said:

their song were rip off's of some gazette's songs and some others

4 hours ago, Ruri said:

I never hated them, but I always found their music to be sorta run-of-the-mill Metalcore, which isn't my thing, but it has it's place in the scene. However, I can't speak for other people

They were good towards the beginning then fell short. I like them a lot becuase everything about them during that time was done very different there style music and looks all were good... well most.  Anyway I guess i can see why people would hate them but i also dont at the same time. His voice does take sometime to grow and get into.

2 hours ago, Axius said:

They were good towards the beginning then fell short. I like them a lot becuase everything about them during that time was done very different there style music and looks all were good... well most.  Anyway I guess i can see why people would hate them but i also dont at the same time. His voice does take sometime to grow and get into.

Thinking this quickly -thus not very profoundly- I feel Mejibray did have a good work there, mostly in the beginning of their career, like you say.

First, they were all very skilled musicians; and yes, that reaches Tsuzuku, too. I can agree on him having serious limitations to bring all his studio performance to his live performance, but the final result wasn't so different, mostly in their last era. On the other hand, he had a pretty strong and sensitive expression, in line with Kiyoharu's style, but also very unique. I mean, you could recognize Tsuzuku from every angle of the scene.

He wrote very beautiful lyrics, too, not over-the-top but kind of sophisticated in terms of poetic expression.

Second, they built-up very interesting and recognizable in-stage characters, which is the key of the visual aestehtics of 'visual-kei' in difference with other approaches to 'glam' in rock music. The best example of this was Meto's wheelchair and creepy teddy bear. Paradoxically, this something that the majority of "vk" bands can't achieve, mostly because they basically do rip-off certain famous characters of the past; I think we can all agree that Meto, Kouichi and Tsuzuku looks are still blatantly plagiarized to date.

Third, they did had a very unique sound. The tones Mia, Meto and Kouchi's chose for their instruments created that 'sandy' sound that, when coupled with Tsuzuku's shrieky vocals, made the band instantly recognizable, no matter which song you could listen to. And in terms of songwriting, they did have some memmorable songs. I can think of "Raven" and "Decadence"; certainly there wasn't something like that in the scene in the past.

For me, the weak point of Meji was the obvious plagious they did to some hit songs from classic bands (Deluhi, or even the Gazette), and also the 'formulaic' basic songs that they started to put out during the second half time as a band, more-less after "Theatrical Blue Black". Plus, I've never found their B-sides so exciting either. I think they got over-produced, and thus over-exploited. Maybe so much that they ran out of ideas, so they had nothing else to do rather than making 'catchy' songs for bangya to do furitsuke, copy-pasting their previous clichés in different ways, while choosing to put on the most eccentric attire and make the sexiest posing on stage. So they obviously gradually lost all their music value and started to become an 'idol' band.

Edited by saiko

I honestlly agree with you @saiko I believe that there b sides are like a hit or miss for me and some are relative copys of others and your right i believe they did run out of ideas. Once it hit the point of Nepenthes (ネペンテス) they slowly spiraled down. The only exceptions id have to say is Nanaki and VENOMS.app. Not that everything after that point wasn't good it was sub par compared to the past even in some songs tzks voice you can tell is lacking. I think it mostly had to do with the drama that was going on which i think why they started to play worse??? or do less better?? for a lack of better term. 

I also really love Matenrou Opera, and I've heard so many people hate on them for no reason at all other then to say that they aren't very good. But Sono's vibrato is one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard.

Idk, maybe I'm just a sucker for Sherow Artist Society artists lmao 

4 hours ago, RaeDesu said:

I also really love Matenrou Opera, and I've heard so many people hate on them for no reason at all other then to say that they aren't very good. But Sono's vibrato is one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard.

Idk, maybe I'm just a sucker for Sherow Artist Society artists lmao 

I like Matenrou Opera also but why do people hate them? Are bangya's cray cray hatin them?