psychonnect_rozen

Honest opinions on K POP?

36 minutes ago, ghost said:

I stay as far away from the culture and music of Kpop as I can (difficult considering my circle of friends right now are all Korean and listen to it). It's just never appealed to me and the perception that I get is that it's done more harm to the Korean music industry than good. It hasn't allowed there to be space for different genres of music. Like, where are the hard rock bands and experimental electronic artists?

I think the burgeoning K-indie scene has created a more open space for actual artists to write and produce their own music and it's great to see some individual creativity. But even so, there's a certain sound you can peg to the scene and it's ended up creating, from my perspective anyway, an alternatively stylized sub-sect of cookie-cutter production in rap, rnb/hip hop, downtempo pop.

I'm not saying the music itself is bad, just that I would like to see more support for lesser-loved genres of music like hardcore, metal, and experimental music. You just don't see bands like Dir en grey and Deviloof, Mono and Boris or Midori and Otoboke Beaver from Korea.

I assume you have heard of Madmans Epsrit? They’re from Korea and they’re basically Black Metal 

It sucks that K-Pop is dominating Korea instead of these guys or literally any other rock or metal band

9 minutes ago, psychonnect_rozen said:

I assume you have heard of Madmans Epsrit? They’re from Korea and they’re basically Black Metal 

It sucks that K-Pop is dominating Korea instead of these guys or literally any other rock or metal band

Yes, I know about them! They vocalist is actually quite good. I didn't know this about them but they apparently go back and forth between Germany and Korea and are signed with Gan-Shin in Europe. You can definitely tell they take a lot of inspiration from vkei bands (especially since they associate themselves with bands like Dir en Grey, lynch and sukekiyo on their bandcamp lol).  This makes me wonder how much of a presence they actually have in Korea vs Europe since the latter has a strong vkei fan base already.

Korean vkei needs to be more of a thing.

7 minutes ago, ghost said:

Yes, I know about them! They vocalist is actually quite good. I didn't know this about them but they apparently go back and forth between Germany and Korea and are signed with Gan-Shin in Europe. You can definitely tell they take a lot of inspiration from vkei bands (especially since they associate themselves with bands like Dir en Grey, lynch and sukekiyo on their bandcamp lol).  This makes me wonder how much of a presence they actually have in Korea vs Europe since the latter has a strong vkei fan base already.

Korean vkei needs to be more of a thing.

I found out about them because Kyuho did a cover of Myaku by Diru a while back. Since then, they’re one of my favourite bands and they have developed a cult following online. Their Glorifying Suicide EP is fantastic. 

A lot of people are turned off by their edgy look and asthetic and Kyuho’s attitude but I find it pretty alright. I did have an unpopular opinion about Kyuho when I first joined here but I have changed that since. 

My favourites are Suicidol, A Day In Black, and Raison detre. I have many more tho lol. 

I’m pretty sure ME have a small presence in SK because K-Pop is all over the place there (unfortunately). It sucks because that’s all people care about unlike actually good bands lmao

Edited by psychonnect_rozen

This is an interesting topic and is being discussed more maturely than I had anticipated.

From my experience and interests, I used to despise K-Pop. But it is a lot of fun if you like it for your own reasons. 

I would even go as far to say as the Visual Kei fandom is quite similar but on a smaller scale due to how large or small the communities are. 

Both focus around liking sub-cultures and, while not all of them,  most listen exclusively to groups that fall with in those sub-cultures. 

I, myself, listen to a lot of different things as of late. Not just Japanese or Korean music. As for the fandoms, toxicity is not unique to the kpop culture, it exists just as prominently in the visual kei fan base as well as any other other fan base.  Kpop groups charge high prices for meet and greets and concert tickets, while Visual Kei groups host in store events that require you to also spend a lot of money to get a ticket or to be able to meet/have a photo with all the members. In Visual Kei there are fans who follow exclusively one band, and in Kpop there are fans who follow exclusively one group. There are crazy obsessive fans in VK and in Kpop but both also have communities in which people have met really close friends and made memories together that are priceless. As for the music, that's really left to the individual. One may say all kpop sounds the same while another says all visual kei sounds the same. As much as we'd all like to defend our favorites and say that Dir en grey or BTS are so original, it's just not that true. In todays day and age and how people really learn music through the influence of other musicians, there is no one artist who simply picked up an instrument and made something that wasn't at least similarly done by someone on this earth filled with approximately 7.5 billion people. It's more so about being genuine with how you use music as a universal language. That's just me. But I'm sure if i had the time, I could find a lot more lesser known garage bands or bedroom DJs who make more genuine music than a most of massively known artists, but it would be impossible for one person to find them all. So instead of thinking of originality maybe just look at it as "Does this speak to me? Do I vibe with this? Is it genuine?" and just follow what makes you feel good. Do I think people just like Kpop groups for the hot boys? Absolutely, but I also think the same about some fans of visual kei bands. For some people, the music does come first. I'm quite picky when it comes to either side. I have an acquired taste and I know what sort of feeling or vibes I like. Mejibray was really popular, but I just couldn't get in to them musically. TXT is really popular, but their music didn't really vibe with me. It just depends on the person.

My last final opinion, based on my own mistakes, denying yourself from listening to something because of the other people who like it... I don't think that's a true opinion of your thoughts on the music regardless of the genre. If you like something, you don't need to partake in the culture of it to enjoy it. 

On 5/16/2019 at 3:47 AM, psychonnect_rozen said:

Personally, I can't stand it.

That pretty much explains everything I feel about kpop. Not my style, not my idea for music/vision/behaviour of the artists.

They rely more on their vision than music, make performances for teen girls, which usually ship boy members together. I find it annoying and sad. I don't like the music, always been in hard rock and heavy metal. My thoughts ^

I'm off and on when it comes to K-pop but I think this time around I'm gonna stay off.

I'm gonna come off a certain way when i say this but i promise its not meant to offend. 

When I got back into K-Pop in 2014-2015, I Honestly believed that this was a revolutionary genre. There was a lot of creativity with the music and I will always admire how the songs even in that 3:30-3:50 pocket, can make me feel so satisfied. Even with the plethora of groups, they all had their own style to an extent and they were always reinventing themselves with every release. However with that said, this applied mainly to the Girl groups and there wasn't that pressure or intent to break into the US back then. Come the tail end of 2016-2017...a lot of the groups/singers that i loved chose not to renew their contracts/disbanded, thus ending what I believe was the golden run of K-Pop. Since then, there's been a surge of guy groups that have taken the spotlight. I'm not mad at this because I know that trends happen and its how the business goes. The groups now sound more or less like carbon copies of each other and its clear that the goal is for as many of em to break into the US as possible. The artsy part about it that I need to enjoy music in general is gone. 

But im ok with that. I've racked up so much music and videos on my HD with stuff that I enjoy so Its really no love lost. 

As for the fans, I try my hardest to stay away from them so they don't bother me as much. But that's not to say they're not some of the most despicable, delusional, and outright nastiest people on the internet. I refuse to give them the pass of mental illness because its disrespectful to those who actually do have issues. Also i believe a lot of these individuals just act like this online and feed off of each other.

9 minutes ago, Ro plz said:

I'm off and on when it comes to K-pop but I think this time around I'm gonna stay off.

I'm gonna come off a certain way when i say this but i promise its not meant to offend. 

When I got back into K-Pop in 2014-2015, I Honestly believed that this was a revolutionary genre. There was a lot of creativity with the music and I will always admire how the songs even in that 3:30-3:50 pocket, can make me feel so satisfied. Even with the plethora of groups, they all had their own style to an extent and they were always reinventing themselves with every release. However with that said, this applied mainly to the Girl groups and there wasn't that pressure or intent to break into the US back then. Come the tail end of 2016-2017...a lot of the groups/singers that i loved chose not to renew their contracts/disbanded, thus ending what I believe was the golden run of K-Pop. Since then, there's been a surge of guy groups that have taken the spotlight. I'm not mad at this because I know that trends happen and its how the business goes. The groups now sound more or less like carbon copies of each other and its clear that the goal is for as many of em to break into the US as possible. The artsy part about it that I need to enjoy music in general is gone. 

But im ok with that. I've racked up so much music and videos on my HD with stuff that I enjoy so Its really no love lost. 

As for the fans, I try my hardest to stay away from them so they don't bother me as much. But that's not to say they're not some of the most despicable, delusional, and outright nastiest people on the internet. I refuse to give them the pass of mental illness because its disrespectful to those who actually do have issues. Also i believe a lot of these individuals just act like this online and feed off of each other.

Most of the delusional Kpop fans are the younger ones obviously. Some are fine but holy fuck Kpop Twitter makes me wanna commit seppeku

The above post pretty much nails it.

K-pop is quite similar to VK and comparing them is a nice way to find out why k-pop became a world wide craze among females specially while VK did not.

K-pop uses the same formula as VK and jpop uses which is getting pretty boys and girls to do singing and in case of k-pop, dancing.

Somefuckinghow (i don't know how they do it) females are able to ship the group members to romantic scenarios in their mind and get pleasure? Ya.

Shipping members might be easier in k-pop as a typical k-pop group has more members than in any typical VK band and kpop groups are selected on the basis of their looks, they look more girly even without makeup than Japs might ever. Not to mention the k-pop revolves around the themes like love, friendship, teenage, school life etc and VK which is gothy and edgy.

-kpop is mostly pop music while VK is mostly Rock. And pop music have always been more popular than Rock hence the name.

- VK has (or had?) the goth vibe around due to the extravagant outfits, morbid lyrics and makeup and everybody knows how unpopular the goth stuff is even among Rock fans.

All in all, if k-pop is the popular cool chick of the school, VK is the outcast goth girl. Oh and jpop is the ex popular chick of the school who used to rule over the heart of every boy but lost her popularity as soon as the k-pop chick transferred.

Well that's my take on this topic. 

Commenting a bit on what was discussed here. Just my two cents, aight. Or, uh, a lot of cents. Sorry I'm terrible at Explaining.

I don't know, I think the otaku/anime/manga fan crowd is actually quite keen on keeping up with Japan's youth, and Japan's youth has been listening a lot to K-pop too. I don't see a necessary overlap in fandom, but yes, there are people who like both. Although I think the cultural ties to these two as well as, say, AKB48 - idols, of course - sees reflexion in anime fandom as the plethora of idol anime/mobage products (started with Love Live and IM@S newer spinoffs, also UtaPri and now its Enstars, HypMic, Bandori, Dreaming!, Idolish7 ...), doesn't mean they enjoy the 3DPD idols of k-pop lol. Also, for international fans, k-pop is way more accessible than Japanese music nowadays. It's in every streaming platform, every twitter handle, every magazine, you don't even have to saerch. It's so easy to stumble into it so while back then people knew about K-pop because of Japanese music, now it's much more the other way around. I think most of the k-pop crowd - as part of it myself - is either like, 20%ish people on their 20s or maybe 30s who were formerly fans of Asian music in general (me!) and/or younger people who had incursions because of East Asian ancestry, and a majority of teens who are into k-pop because of YouTube and/or BTS or any overlap of these two. But yes, I definitely think that with k-pop being way more accessible - and presenting the same sort of "we are anime boys" fantasy that vk did a decade ago - it's not really surprising that some people who want to get a feel of East Asian culture are into it nowadays. Speaking of which, I grew up (in the 2000s) listening to a lot of Japanese music and watching anime and stuff, but even before BoA I've always been pretty immersed in SK culture as well because of MMOs so maybe this isn't even such a new trend. The media and pop cultures do overlap a lot at times. (*cough* do you know Tri-Angle *cough*)

I also realized a lot of people who were dragged into K-pop through East Asian music market in general had a few favorite songs/groups - or even one favorite in particular - but since Korean TV shows love to mix the groups they end up discovering other acts and becoming a fan as well - I know that is my case since I used to say I hate k-pop for a good 6 years from 2009 to 2015. Speaking of cultural interchanging I think the most extreme of k-pop fans - at least in my experience since I am always biting my own tail by saying I don't like rap and proceeding to be a fan of every group with 3+ rappers in the market but maybe that's because they actually do rap and not just digdigdoo their way through the annoyingly obligatory rap sequence  - actually end up listening to black music because that's what their idols are listening to, which I found so funny.

Lastly, I have to disagree that k-pop sounds like Western music. I think the Apop market specifically has been pretty weak since, uh, probably the decline of Lady Gaga and the crash of Disney stars and you don't see such bubblegummy pop songs so much anymore even among artists who excelled at it before (like, say, Katy Perry or Jessie J) ; people who still do it, like, say, Carly Rae Jepsen are pretty much adored, but it's somehow not the trend anymore I think? So back then I thought that Apop was in many ways superior to kpop, but I don't think so anymore, not to my tastes at least - sometimes I'm listening to the radio and I'm happy when BTS comes up because this is the bubblegummy happy song I want. And you know what I mean when I say all k-pop sounded like uh fantastic baby naega jail jam nagagagagaga. (Also, I was talking to an online friend who happened to go through the same ~stages of Asian music~ as myself and we did notice a trend of, sometimes girl groups doing better and sometimes boy groups doing better. I think it was definitely like, -06 for bgs, 07-10 for ggs, 11-14 for bgs, 15-17 for ggs and now we're having a bg era again, or something to that effect, and she agreed with me.)

But yeah, it's no metal nowadays either.

Also, to whoever asked about other genres of music in the Korean market, Korean music isn't just k-pop (surprisingly, not really, as the same applies to music in pretty much uh every country) and personally I listen to a lost of other artists, from Alice Vicious to Norazo to Guckkasten to Epik High. They're just, well, not k-pop which is a very specific market with very specific rules. Another important thing to note is that most times these idols are basically trained - not for cheap - by the companies behind them, and they don't always follow their careers so closely and teens are left on their own to produce stuff. Not saying this happens to the biggest of them, but smaller companies? Definitely. And sometimes they end up spewing dumb racist/homophobic bullshit thinking it's cool, but it's not happening so much nowadays.

I also think this shift from people from, say, Japanese music to k-pop has something to do with the decline of Being an emo kid is cool culture because, lol, music that actually hits your soul and makes you think about life? Pfft, let's go for the bubblegummy songs that promote sex exploitation, it's much better this way. I think it is just this global culture shift.  

So to me saying yes, VK and K-pop are similar because they're both music for fans of music, and it happens to be East Asian music! is the same as saying yeah, if you like Jay Z you'll probably like Billie Eilish because they're both American and seeking fans!, which is kind of... no. In many ways it's not similar. I think the shift is because of cultural changes and accessibility much more than because humans all of a sudden can't distinguish intricate music from pop music anymore.

But yes, of course the "we look like anime boys with our perfect makeup and cool blue hair, please love us" aesthetic of k-pop is a thing that drags young people into it into k-pop, but I guess the same could be said for, like, hip youtubers. You can't really avoid the aesthetic of things, I guess. Says the grown up woman who has a picture of candy floss-haired k-pop boy on her profile picture. But take me as you will really. Funnily, I can say I am much more appreciative of vk for the aesthetics it presents - not just "oh, ok, it's hot boys and I can ship them!" but I mean the actual aesthetic in the sense of the culture/semiology it expresses - than I am of k-pop for these reasons. I swear I do not care for 17 year old girls being kawaii ( but man, I love some of the songs they have! Very Very Very is Astounding! Lipstick is Excellent! Likey is Quintessential! Russian Roulette is Classic! Bboom Bboom is Amazing! ) nor am I particularly interested in 20 year old boys flexing their excessively worked out abs - I honestly think of how bad their health must be before I can even try to appreciate the abs - but still I love some of the music they have. (FYI, my favorites don't fall into either, for the most part. I'm always with the kawaii boys crowd or the WAHRGAH ANGRY boys crowd lol.) 

I recently had my first few experiences actually being to k-pop concerts and ... suffice to say I had such a blast I'm actually considering to do research on it now. I'm a psychologist and happen to study cultural industries and workers health, and was precisely seeking a topic for my masters and I'm really considering dropping everything I had planned to do in order to delve into this phenomenon which I find to be the prime example of pop Asian music market being a lot more about visuals and the boyfriend experience than music lol. ("Are you trying to find an excuse to go to concerts more often?" Precisely.)

Tl;dr: woman tried to enjoy k-pop but failed miserably in  her teens, now is a graduated and practicing psychologist, sees all the problems with the industry but still can't help but be supportive of her fav k-pop boys, still unsure if it does more good or harm to them.

As a footnote ... I did this thing a while back but never posted so here it is. It's just for fun but it really makes you think of what has become of the remnants of the VK scene and how cultures just overlap.

Edited by Chell

I have nothing to add to this discussion right now, I just wanted to say that these last few posts have really given me new takes on the KPOP scene.

You've given me enlightenment, thanks lol.

I came back to see if anyone was discussing the subject further and I realized a I got plenty of reactions, and am finding it kind of funny, so maybe I should explain my point a bit further because it all seemed like a big wall of text without a clear point. I really wasn't saying a lot though, I just ended up addressing different replies without quoting.  

All I really wanted to say is, from the point of view of someone who really liked j-rock and despised k-pop for the better part of their lives, you can't really deny that there's always (and by always I mean in the last 20-something years of course because K-pop didn't exist before nor had Korea been too influenced by the US) been some degree of cultural overlap or influencing because that's what pop culture worldwide always does, and it's not really fair to compare or put one against the other as if they're Polar Opposites In A War because it's quite out of context, it's just not how it works. I mean, media and cultural industries do run deeper than that.

So Japan started embracing Korea and Korean products because of dramas, AFAIK, and games and manhwa kind of found their way as counterparts (almost counterfeits, really) to whatever Japan had been doing ages before, before K-pop music emerged as one more kind of product. No real artistic appeal, but I did listen to Japanese music way back when BoA started becoming really popular. Japan was all over Namie Amuro or Ayumi Hamasaki and all of a sudden there were (the half-American) Utada Hikaru and BoA in the spotlight as well. And SME was pretty keen on exporting their artists since H.O.T. so after BoA kind of managed to Be It they made TVXQ debut alongside with her. And this is where the MV of Tri-Angle which I mentioned before kicks in. I'm no expert but I believe Japan had been exporting a lot of pop culture to SK for years and that was more a reply. Which was... quite a thing. And by thing I mean quite a cultural appropriation as the kids of nowadays would put. (Final Fantasy? Visual kei? You decide.)

And it worked, lol, because soon enough (the fandom of TVXQ which was quite hugeee in Japan) Cassiopeia was formed, SNSD and SuJu (and Big Bang, etc) were pretty popular overseas as well and that's when the whole Hallyu 2.0 thing kicked in. So basically SK was just trying to export stuff - really, trying hard, because being so closely dominated by US and Japan-originated products Probably Sucks - and that's how we ended up with the most seemingly random but not really mix of cultural influences in k-pop. Because it worked, it sold, and yeah. Cue seemingly out-of-place Pocky/Pepero game levels of fanservice, colorful hairstyles and clear imitations of whatever j-pop boy/girlgroups were doing. And because there's always been this kind of insurgence of j-rock in j-pop music as well, it's thrown in the mix somehow.

So when I did that video, it was more as a joke because I ... kind of started digging deeper for j-rock/visual kei music after years of just listening to ONE OK ROCK or whatever was "pop j-rock" at the time, and I was talking to a friend and we were like, oh, ok, it's definitely being influenced the other way around now. Understandably so, especially because since k-pop made successful breakthroughs into the US market and, with it being the biggest music (actually, general pop culture) market/export in the world, of course it's a huge influence to Japan as well. So we were kidding about how even visual kei PVs nowadays sometimes looked less like 2000s or 90s visual kei PVs and more like k-pop MVs, although they're still distinguishable to the non-casual viewer (but yeah, if you go solely by commonplace stereotypes like "k-pop artists don't create songs/play instruments", "k-pop has no Japanese language music", "k-pop has no foreigners", "K-pop is cuter", "but fanservice" "but makeup" etc... you're just prone to go wrong). As I was saying, pop cultures in general do overlap always, regardless of nationality. That's characteristic of, well, pop culture in a globalized world. But that's really as far as my enlightenment goes, lol.

And then you have the western fans of Asian music whose preferences seemed to change, not so much because it did change, much more so because of the shift in East Asian music market and accessibility (I remember it was super hard finding subbed Korean videos back in 2008 so I was much more a NEWS fan than a TVXQ one, although I listened to both - but nowadays it's harder to find Johnnys videos because they're all taken down LOL) and promotion, stuff like that.

What you subjectively make out of this is just what you make out of this, bro. I literally don't think I can delve any deeper than this.

Edited by Chell

So it’s been a while since I’ve checked out this topic.

After months of this post being up, my opinions haven’t really changed that much to be honest.

However, I think because most (not all) metal and rock fans despise pop all together, you obviously get a sort of superiority complex.

So in short, I guess I don’t like K-Pop because of many reasons although musically, not too much but I don’t like how some of it is repetitive. It may sound ignorant but that’s just me

I also think considering that K-Pop stans are at least to people EXTREMELY toxic is why people tend to stay away from it like myself. I know fandoms have shitty people but K-Pop I find is the more rabid kind. 

I also think many people avert it due to the industry and as repetitive as that opinion really is, you cannot blame people for not supporting it. 

It maybe just be me but I’m just annoyed by K-Pop honestly. But hey, what can you do

i like pretty girls and dance routines, but i've never really had much exposure to it nor sought it out. i'd probably be into it, but my knowledge of kpop ends at lee ahyumi's version of wrongful meeting which came out in...shit, 2006. 

9 hours ago, psychonnect_rozen said:

I also think considering that K-Pop stans are at least to people EXTREMELY toxic is why people tend to stay away from it like myself. I know fandoms have shitty people but K-Pop I find is the more rabid kind. 

I also think many people avert it due to the industry and as repetitive as that opinion really is, you cannot blame people for not supporting it. 

It maybe just be me but I’m just annoyed by K-Pop honestly. But hey, what can you do

I also think that most k-pop fans ride on the awards so much that when their group doesn't win something, they cry foul and attack the group that actually won. Blackpink won over BTS, which sent their fandom into a full blown tantrum and honestly I cringed so hard.

Stuff like that just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

On 11/20/2019 at 6:14 PM, psychonnect_rozen said:

However, I think because most (not all) metal and rock fans despise pop all together, you obviously get a sort of superiority complex.

Most metal and rock fans despise pop? I am sorry, but where exactly do this retarded generalization come from? I have, throughout 15+ years og going to metal concerts, going to (mainly) metal bars and hanging with metal people, and discussing metal online on a shitload of metal foras, only talked to a couple of handful of metal fans who did not love pop. The vast majority absolutely adores pop, especially cheesy 80's pop and 90's eurodance. I have been to a countless amount of "metal vorspiels/nachspiels", plenty of them with highly regarded (mostly extreme) metal musicians, and the most played genre at, by far, pop.

It's absolutely fucking shocking that people throw around statements like that in 2019. Being so bigoted in 2019? The fuck is this shit?

I think @psychonnect_rozen  is referring to a select, but present group of metal and/or rock elitists to a fault. I've bumped into a few here in the U.S.

You'll absolutely have boomer-tier* or Shapiro-tier dweebs that'll trash anything that isn't their "brand" of music, but that kind of mentality has a presence in every vein of music (with varying levels of objectivity.) There are classical music fans who think jazz is "not playing by the rules", old-school hip-hop heads that think "mumble rap" is trash, 90's dubstep fans that disavow the "bro-step" of the early 2010's, the list goes on. 

While this doesn't account for everybody, most metal, metalcore, deathcore, and prog-metal fans I hung out with were themselves already steeped in rap, hip-hop, and mainstream pop. (Metal covers of pop music are extremely common.) On a personal note, a lot of my deathcore friends were also huge EDM nuts.

Metal as a genre also has the natural tendency to branch into everything, and rock was born from blues, folk, and country. Look beyond your social bubble where you observe those generalizations and you'll find plenty of people who are pretty much chill w/ whatever. 

On a side note, anyone who takes pride in some sort of elitism as a personality-trait can go fuck off. Those types of people can get over themselves and learn something from the rest of society.

*Not referring to actual boomer age demographic, but the obstinant "boomer" mentality. idk, felt appropriate.

Edited by colorful人生

i find both the music and visuals really boring. like excessively boring. i listened to a BTS album my friend recommended and i couldn't even name a moment from it (sorry kpop stans please don't crucify me (;´・ω・) ) i noticed a lot of former j-rock fans kinda "jumping ship" to kpop but.. i'll stick with vk i think

maybe i'm just getting old. but its all just white noise to me. the same friend showed me a bunch of girl groups to see if that registers more but no dice. i don't find it unlistenable or anything, i just wouldn't choose to listen to it

To be honest I did listen to k-pop back in the days as much as I did listen to j-pop. However back in the days... nobody kinda cared more about k-pop than j-pop. it was really equal. I dropped jpop and kpop around 2006 for visual kei and jrock.  years later..... kpop was suddenly POPULAR all around the world... I felt like WHUT what did I miss? I totally didn't even notice that kpop fandom grew as much as the visual kei fandom back in the days, however visual kei fans dropped while kpop fans even got more and when visual kei kinda died in europe people spoke from kpop...

kpop

Well, 

kpop has what we don't have here anymore..

POP BOY BANDS and GIRL BANDS.

Something what's totally rare in the west nowadays... are there any popular left? 

true speaking

the concept of boyband and girlband is totally amazing.

But myself I don't listen to any boyband or girlband anymore. 

Just not my thing anymore. But young people do love it. 

How kpop videos look, how kpop sound, it's something what most people simply love and like. It's perfection.

But after all it's pure mainstream. 

The only thing what is wrong about kpop is the pressure kpop stars get from music labels but also the RUDE comments from people around the world.

Labels don't only kill people it are also the fans... and the close people around them...

I dislike k-pop because I don't like the pop mainstream sound. Still I think that there are good and nice k-pop bands around. 

But I'm more the rocknroll and metal type. Just give me underground, not standard non mainstream stuff which also can sound amazing..

On 11/22/2019 at 3:16 PM, Bear said:

Most metal and rock fans despise pop? I am sorry, but where exactly do this retarded generalization come from? I have, throughout 15+ years og going to metal concerts, going to (mainly) metal bars and hanging with metal people, and discussing metal online on a shitload of metal foras, only talked to a couple of handful of metal fans who did not love pop. The vast majority absolutely adores pop, especially cheesy 80's pop and 90's eurodance. I have been to a countless amount of "metal vorspiels/nachspiels", plenty of them with highly regarded (mostly extreme) metal musicians, and the most played genre at, by far, pop.

It's absolutely fucking shocking that people throw around statements like that in 2019. Being so bigoted in 2019? The fuck is this shit?

Im refering to those "hur dur modern music sucks" kind of people not so much just in general.

It's not for me, but that's because I'm not into pop music so whatever. I know that some people get really crazy about these k-pop groups. I don't condemn them, It's their choice to listen to this kind of music. I don't know, for me all those groups sound a bit boring, but some of the guys can sing really well. I wonder how they would sound in a rock band? That would be interesting for me.

Edited by For my dears

1 minute ago, For my dears said:

It's not for me, but that's because I'm not into pop music so whatever. I know that some people get really crazy about these k-pop groups. I don't condemn them, It's their choice to listen to this kind of music. I don't know, for me those groups all sound a bit boring, but some of the guys can sing really well. I wonder how they would sound in a rock band? That would be interesting for me.

Well there is Seo Taiji and Boys, which in the 90's, did a mix of Hip Hop, Pop, RnB, Rock AND Metal depending on how they were feeling that day lol