The Piass

Guitarist Lin has joined Nocturnal Bloodlust ! + new mini-album "UNLEASH" release

It was a solid minialbum IMHO, but that's just about it. I'll explain myself.

Here's the thing: to me, NB's tracks have always been a hit or miss, Cazqui's work was either supergenius (leading to killer tunes we all know) or so boring and flat that it led to just album fillers. With Lin I feel like the composition is solid, there are no super high highs or super low lows, but also nothing is happening, really. There are no fillers (except the horrible track 7, I wish I could unhear) but there is nothing standing out. Also, I feel like they are shifting to a more western metalcore sound (a less visual kei and more "typical" sound, so to speak), but maybe it's just me.

Will wait for future releases to see what's going to happen.

I finally had a listen yesterday,  threw 少年時代 in the bin cause...that's not my thing. But the rest will definitely get listened to, 'Thank You' is my favorite, love the chorus (I figured it was going to be from the preview.)
Quality seems the same it's what I expected, agree with @Wakarimashita for me too it was always "Wow LOVE these tracks" and then the other half of them deleted cause they were unlistenable for me. I would prefer an album with all bangers sure...but I don't expect it to ever happen, at least it's good to have 3 solid tracks I'll listen to a long while.

It's a fairly enjoyable mini. This is definitely not the best material they ever put out but it's cool to hear nonetheless. I agree that Lin's guitar playing isn't really that outstanding like Cazqui and Daichi's but he's competent at what he does. I definitely agree that the overall mood of the music feels lighter and save for "Thank You" and "Satanic Corner" there isn't much of all that heaviness of previous work. I swear I keep hearing a lot of Maximum the Hormone influence on some tracks, while they already put out some of those "quirkier" sounding songs before, I don't remember they going for something explicitly "weird" like those - but I kinda feel like some of these tracks are somewhat interchangeable to be honest. I'm gonna be the contrarian and say that the last track ("Shonenjidai"?) is pretty cool, more interesting than the three MtH-inspired tracks in my honest opinion (and is overall a better example of the "poppy song with heavy instrumentation" thing that many bands try and most of them fail). 

I'd honestly disagree with Wakarimashita and say they never sounded so "japanese" than now as I feel like the more explicit -core influences are kinda toned down on this release (save for "Thank You" and "Satanic Corner" again). It's definitely not their most focused effort and I admit I'm more into their heavier stuff (TY and SC were my favorite songs overall), but it's a good mini with enjoyable compositions and solid instrumental and vocal chops. I hope this doesn't mean a real change in sound and they're able to put out better music in the future because they are definitely a great band with lots of potential.

8 minutes ago, IchiHiroya said:

Lin was arrested yesterday because he was in possession of canabis. Tomorrow's live is cancelled.  They also cancelled their event on 08/12 and the tour 「Monster Park」 in September.

All in-store events in Tokyo, Nagoya and Osaka are also cancelled.

http://www.nocturnalbloodlust.com/news/0/47338/

Edited by The Piass

I lol'ed so much at this.

46 minutes ago, The Piass said:

Lin was arrested yesterday because he was in possession of canabis. Tomorrow's live is cancelled.  They also cancelled their event on 08/12 and the tour 「Monster Park」 in September.

All in-store events in Tokyo, Nagoya and Osaka are also cancelled.

http://www.nocturnalbloodlust.com/news/0/47338/

I am gonna bet on Lin being fired from NB considering how much stigma revolves around cannabis in Japan.

Surely this is the end of NCBL. It was just a couple of days before their big sold-out comeback show, so I can't see how they'll bounce back from this one. Very disappointing considering they finally recruited a new guitarist and started producing new material.

Japan is SUPER strict over stimulants, many a celebrity has had their career ended overnight just from possession charges.

Add that to the fact that a very large part of NCBL's (ex-)fan base hates Masa over the whole financial management fiasco that led to Cazqui and Daichi leaving and I'm not really sure where they can go from here.

kind of stupid of him to risk the career of a band so close to the live

I hope the live in november will take place

I don't want to see all the other bands...i am just there for NCBL >.<

4 hours ago, Aferni said:

Fucking oof

more like deviloof amirite???

looks like we got another Akinori, except he still got a second chance

4 hours ago, Shmilly said:

Surely this is the end of NCBL. It was just a couple of days before their big sold-out comeback show, so I can't see how they'll bounce back from this one. Very disappointing considering they finally recruited a new guitarist and started producing new material.

Japan is SUPER strict over stimulants, many a celebrity has had their career ended overnight just from possession charges.

Add that to the fact that a very large part of NCBL's (ex-)fan base hates Masa over the whole financial management fiasco that led to Cazqui and Daichi leaving and I'm not really sure where they can go from here.

My exact thoughts. I almost welcome their disbandment after the pettiness of their last release. Wipe the slate clean and start a new band.

Dude these musicians need to start getting smarter about using this stuff. What form of cannabis was it, if I may ask?

I know that Japan is HEAVILY promoting vape pens as an alternative right now, and it's legal to sell them, just not stuff itself.