Gesu

What is something you think had wasted potential?

For me, it's Zero Time Dilemma from the Zero Escape series. As per usual with Spike Chunsoft, the concept was fantastic; three people each in three separate wards who are not allowed to directly communicate with each other outside of their respective wards have to escape using X-Passes that can only be obtained after someone dies. Sign me up! Not to mention the character designs were great in that you could tell what they'd be about just by looking at them, which is always good in character design. For example, Akane was sweet and feminine. Mira was the sexy bad girl. Phi was sharp. So, you're probably wondering what the hell ruined this for me. A compelling plotline and a fairly small yet diverse and interesting cast? What could possibly go wrong?

Well... I lied a little. The cast really weren't all that interesting for me. The character designer clearly knew what they were doing, but the writer did not. I just felt like the delivery of all their lines/actions was very flat, and how I confirmed this was by taking some lines from some of the characters and giving them to another and I found it had exactly the same effect. They just felt copy-pasted with a few variations here and there, and it really ruined the experience for me. The characters are important, after all! Anyways, what do you think had wasted potential? It could be a video game, anime, TV series, book, music artist, whatever.

kare kano anime. i've wanted to watch it for years and when i finally did last year in a fit of nostalgia i realized it was dreadfully boring near its end...actually the majority of the second half really. it started so well but fell very flat, unfortunately. i know it was never fully concluded but it was a shame.

also anything after Silent Hill 4 😭

Edited by Paraph

2 hours ago, Paraph said:

kare kano anime. i've wanted to watch it for years and when i finally did last year in a fit of nostalgia i realized it was dreadfully boring near its end...actually the majority of the second half really. it started so well but fell very flat, unfortunately. i know it was never fully concluded but it was a shame.

I looooved Karekano anime! But yeah, apparently there has been some issues with the original team, I remember hearing most left at some point and therefore the anime taking a... strange route. Still a great anime that I remember fondly. I've been meaning to read the manga as well.

Edited by Nighttime Jae

Starting a big list would be: Ragnarok M Eternal Love and the latest WoW expansions

I really liked FFXV :( I still need to play the Royal Edition though

15 hours ago, Marchen said:

Starting a big list would be: Ragnarok M Eternal Love and the latest WoW expansions

Which reminds me of Tree of Savior,  Ragnarok's supposed successor who got immense amounts of hype leading up to the release date and turned out to be the most boring thing I've ever played. The potential was there, it looks great, there's a trillion classes with potential to make the gameplay fun. But god, it was so DULL! I play FF14 which is considerably dull but addictive, but I dunno I just couldn't get over how lifeless Tree of Savior was (or is? I haven't checked it out in years)

6 hours ago, platy said:

Which reminds me of Tree of Savior,  Ragnarok's supposed successor who got immense amounts of hype leading up to the release date and turned out to be the most boring thing I've ever played. The potential was there, it looks great, there's a trillion classes with potential to make the gameplay fun. But god, it was so DULL! I play FF14 which is considerably dull but addictive, but I dunno I just couldn't get over how lifeless Tree of Savior was (or is? I haven't checked it out in years)

Oh, I also play FFXIV~! Teresa Karlov @ Behemoth :D

I tried Tree of Savior and was happy with it until the game went without quests out of nowhere and you were supposed to just start killing monsters to level, like the old RO

Edited by Marchen
typo

Hmm, maybe the Zune. I honestly thought Microsoft could have done so much more to improve it/advertise it.

Same goes for the PS Vita.

My hopes for Final Fantasy games are usually high, but I just remembered how forgettable Final Fantasy V was (which is ironic). I got the game last year, but I haven't played it in a while because it just didn't grab my attention enough to want to continue. I can't even remember what the plot was about. I remember there was a guy called Bartz who meets this princess called Lenna and he likes her (duh), then there's this crossdressing pirate woman called Faris and an old dude named Galuf but I can't for the life of me remember what they actually set out to do besides... whatever it is they do in cliched fantasy plotlines. That's it, it was just cliched. If I were to give you the most trite, overdone fantasy plotline I could think of, it'd probably be that of Final Fantasy V. Oh, and Bartz has a chocobo named Boco that he abandons I think outside a cave somewhere and we never see him again. The fact that I'm more worried about a chocobo than I am about the fate of this game's world speaks volumes.

Actually, I just looked up what happens to Boco. We do see him again but later. I'm still appalled at Bartz's terrible chocobo care skills. Wtf, man? I take better care of my race chocobos and the only reason I breed those is to earn me fame and fortune. For shame, Bartz. For shame.

19 hours ago, Gesu said:

the most trite, overdone fantasy plotline I could think of, it'd probably be that of Final Fantasy V

you are not allowed to say this shit when stuff like literally the entire dragon quest franchise exists tbh lol

@Gesu Final Fantasy III is the most unoriginal, uninspired rpg I've played. They literally just sold the template for a final fantasy game as is without even adding to story or characters. I haven't played V yet but I sure hope it isn't that bad. 

2 minutes ago, platy said:

@Gesu Final Fantasy III is the most unoriginal, uninspired rpg I've played. They literally just sold the template for a final fantasy game as is without even adding to story or characters. I haven't played V yet but I sure hope it isn't that bad. 

It's roughly on the same level, athough the characters are admittedly more diverse in their personalities but then there's that dumb "boring hero, demure princess" type thing going on that really reinforced that cliched story for me. It wasn't even that bad tbh, it was just so unremarkable. That's the thing with a cliché. You can never go wrong but you can also never go right. I dunno, maybe I'm being a bit harsh but it just really wasn't for me. You might like it but idk.