Azaeroe

NEET Herodom?

How does one know when one has truly transcended from a previously mediocre state of being? Does working in industry, academia or producing art or craft actually mean you have transcended, or is this something that can only happen through reading, meditation, diet & personal will? If so, why even work? If you genuinely want to improve yourself in any meaningful way, you should dispose of the material world & live in an apartment, practicing all of the aforementioned.

Or am I wrong?

None of that stuff matters, and all of it matters, but only to the individual. Forcing yourself to subscribe to what someone else deems important is where you lose.

I say to really look inside what it is that means something to you, if you can attain that then you've progressed. But if you chase other people's dreams you'll only end up feeling empty and the cycle continues.

27 minutes ago, karai · ebi said:

None of that stuff matters, and all of it matters, but only to the individual. Forcing yourself to subscribe to what someone else deems important is where you lose.

I say to really look inside what it is that means something to you, if you can attain that then you've progressed. But if you chase other people's dreams you'll only end up feeling empty and the cycle continues.

That is sort of my point, though.

21 minutes ago, karai · ebi said:

None of that stuff matters, and all of it matters, but only to the individual.

this

it's just different ways of improving your personality. i think it doesn't matter which way you choose, you can devote yourself to work, you can choose asceticism, you can combine work and meditation or do whatever you want. for me the main thing is to avoid stagnation, but it's still important to stop and just relax sometimes. but i choosing stagnation doesn't really matter too

13 minutes ago, yomii said:

this

it's just different ways of improving your personality. i think it doesn't matter which way you choose, you can devote yourself to work, you can choose asceticism, you can combine work and meditation or do whatever you want. for me the main thing is to avoid stagnation, but it's still important to stop and just relax sometimes. but i choosing stagnation doesn't really matter too

What do you mean by stagnation?

2 minutes ago, Azaeroe said:

What do you mean by stagnation?

not trying to improve i guess. when you don't try to become a better person. better means kinder, smarter, or whatever you want to be. 

43 minutes ago, Azaeroe said:

That is sort of my point, though.

I don't disagree with you, ''why is everyone so religiously dedicated to work when it's slowly killing them'' is something I asked a long time. Why I lived essentially as a NEET for 6 years in the past, barring random odd online payment type 'work'.

I think it's that because most of us really don't have a choice unless you're rich, maybe some must make their entire being into their work in order to survive. And it's why so many try to force everyone else into that same inescapable box.

But I've encountered people who genuinely live to work...I won't ever understand but it's not my life.

For me, meditation has definitely been a key to slowly overcoming a lot. Seven years ago would I have believed it...no way.