Lestat

Best live vocal performances (Japanese)

As I'm often looking for live footage of Japanese vocalists at their absolute height of performance, I think it's nice to come up with a collective thread where everyone will post their favourite videos of their favourite singers' top-notch achievements, where they blew everyone away with that one high note they hit perfectly, or where their abilities simply outmatch album recordings by far. For some bands there's tons of footage to sift through and if you want to show someone their renounced quality but don't know where to start, this would be nice. 

I'll post just one for now as not to clutter this immediately.

I especially love this performance pf Day Dream by Asagi. It's clean all-throughout and he just hits every note. Great scale of going from chest-voice to head-voice and back. Still can't get over how great his range is sometimes. 

Not sure if this counts, but for me, it's when Kamijo fainted like a ragdoll in the middle of Ascendead Master then got back up and finished the song.

The sound quality of this video's a bit crap, but this is truly admirable.

Great thread idea! ♥

When I read the title these were the two performances that immediately popped into my head (coincidentally both by Gackt, lol).

GACKT - Asrun Dream --- pretty much the whole song, but boyyyyy when he hits dat last chorus yesssssssss

Spoiler

(this shitty-ass quality tho, I'm so sorry :D )

MALICE MIZER - Bel Air --- I dunno if it's good singing or not, but I've always been impressed by this one part towards the end of the song where Gackt sings those two lines with one breath (as opposed to the recorded version where there's clearly a short pause), makes it all the more dramatic and cool, heh.

Spoiler

(I timestamped it, but it's at 03min 42sec)

Edited by Jigsaw9

oh this reminds me of how i was watching some gazette live with my friend who listens to vkei too (mostly 90s stuff) and we were like wtf ruki sounds so clean and hits every note and it's so close to the recording what's wrong with the guy lol
i don't remember which song we were listening to and this one doesn't seem to be something outstanding technically, but still it sounds very decent.

Spoiler

i also wish i could post emmuree's silence from xxx.paint it black, but its quality on youtube is crappy so let it be inori. sou's great live.

Spoiler

and since i'm #teamklaha here we go

Spoiler

also yomi has deep, powerful voice but he misses the notes every now and then.

this one's pretty good tho

Spoiler

and speaking of fainting on stage, i remember the same thing happened to gara but he couldn't finish the song, i was shocked to see something like that tbh. i don't remember which song or what dvd it was unfortunately.

I've posted some of these videos elsewhere, but I absolutely just love these live performances, so here they are again ^^;

BUCK-TICK - Dress - I picked two videos at different stages during the band's career. Atsushi just sounds great no matter when, lol.

Spoiler

1993 version (Apologies for the low quality!)

vistlip - Sindra - Tomo hits some really great high notes in this live just like he does in the recording, and it sounds amazing.

Spoiler

Galeyd - D.Z.I - Some argue about the quality of Garo's voice in this band, but I enjoyed how he sounded (for the most part) like the recording. I tried to find other songs, but this was the only one available ^^;

Spoiler

the Gazette - Taion - He doesn't sound exactly like the recording in this particular performance, but the screams Ruki makes here sends shivers down my spine. If you know the background and the lyrics to this disturbingly sad and dark song, then it makes sense why he does it.

Spoiler

Edited by monkeybanana4

Definitely Lustknot being on this list for probably one of the best live screams :) 

There is lots more but this is the only one i can thing of off the top of my head

2011.11.11 TOKYO DOME CITY HALL - TOUR2011 AGE QUOD AGIS Ratio ducat, non fortuna

Kyo's performance during DECAYED CROW is otherworldly, in my opinion.

I often read that he suffered from a flu or so and could've easily destroyed his voice with that performance, but I'm not sure that's true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48yDnisl2aw

Edited by Seelentau

I find Yasu's voice to be one of the best in the scene, and this performance is pretty much flawless. Nailing those high notes in that register with no strain whatsoever is no joke for a man. Also, I love the melismas and the tone of his voice throughout the song.