CAT5

Monochrome Heaven's "A picture is worth a thousand songs" Trade-Off!

Just a friendly reminder that the submission deadline for mixes is tomorrow! How are you guys coming along in the creation of your mixes so far? Has it been fun putting it together? Has it been more of a challenge than expected?

@Seimeisen

@monkeybanana4

@Komorebi

@Triangle

@platy

@reminiscing2004

@Lestat

@togz

@Zeus

5 minutes ago, platy said:

I'm sending mine tomorrow. It's been harder than I expected.

Right? I swear when I came up with this idea I thought it was really simple...then I actually sat down to make the mix :hum:

If yall need more time just let me know! It's understandable!

3 hours ago, CAT5 said:

Just a friendly reminder that the submission deadline for mixes is tomorrow! How are you guys coming along in the creation of your mixes so far? Has it been fun putting it together? Has it been more of a challenge than expected?

@Seimeisen

@monkeybanana4

@Komorebi

@Triangle

@platy

@reminiscing2004

@Lestat

@togz

@Zeus

oops forgot to check in i sent mine a few days ago

I thought it would be a piece of cake when I joined... I was mistaken. 

I'll post mine sometime tomorrow, I promise. What I can't promise is to find enough songs to actually fit one image lol

2 hours ago, Zeus said:

I sent my mix to CAT5 a few days ago, but didn't have time to update in this topic until now.

How is everyone's first impressions going?

Things have been busy on my end, but I hope to plunge into your mix soon and rack up some listens throughout the rest of the week!

Also, it looks like everyone has submitted their mixes!!!

@Zeus I'm ready to post my review lol. Guess I'll be the first to post!

My partner for this trade-off was @togz. Her mix was called:

Spring Beginnings

2rrnxxk.jpg

She wanted this mix to reflect her personal transition from winter to spring. It's about letting go and moving on, and going through lows and highs. The mix features a sampling of pop, indie rock, ambient, dream pop, alternative rock, and kpop. There were some surprises in there I wasn't expecting and, I have to say, I enjoyed the mix a lot. So, here's how it went:

Spoiler

1. Sekai no owari - Illumination
This is a lovely track with positive vibes and cheery melodies. A perfect way to ease into the mix. It almost feels like Christmas. The strings add a comforting warmth and the singer's voice is very soothing.
:4.0:

2. The Novembers - Hadaka no Mink
I'm gonna admit. I'm not a huge fan of The Novembers. They're huge, I know, but their music never grabbed me. This isn't a bad track but not enough happens to keep me interested. I like the overall sound and tone though.
:3.0:

3. Downy - Ame no Inu
The drums are mad rad in this song. It's kind of this off kiltered rhythm that plays under somber guitar melodies and ghostly synths. There's a lot going on but everything comes together to create a cohesive sound.

4. Fantastic Drugstore - 12:00
Wowow. I don't usually like Korean music but this is just perfect. The song is so smooth and chill, the melodies are catchy, and the singer's voice compliments the instrumentation very well. The song flows really nicely too. I'd play this on a warm fall afternoon while laying in the sun outside.
:5.0:

5. One Ok Rock - Take what you want
I legitimately thought this was a praise song. The musical progression has this dramatic build and the composition has a very positive sound that's very similar in spirit (no pun intended) to contemporary Christian music. Much to my surprise it was One OK Rock. I'm not really into this style of rock as it's a bit too upbeat/positive.
:2.0:

6. Andymori - Spiral
"Spiral" is a nice slow-paced rock song with a grunge-y vibe and gritty sounding bass and guitars. It's very laid back but the vocalist's performance is very animated and varied keeping me engaged.
:3.0:

7. Radwimps - oshakashama
Super rad track with nice math-y guitar riffs, snappy drums, groovy bass, and a vocalist with a range of performance. He'll go from rapping in a soft-spoken manner to singing unhinged. I also love how percussive the vocalist's rapping is, almost like the guitar playing. This one's a banger.
:5.0:

8. Hello Sleepwalkers - Shin Sekai
Really like the energy in this song. There's a lot of momentum and hard-hitting guitar and drums. Coupled with really great melodies and a strong female vocalist and you get a super solid track.

9. Okamoto's - Brother
The first thing you hear is the vocals and, hate to say this, but I got turned off pretty quick. I don't mind his voice but I'm not a fan of his melodies and the "yeah-e-yeah-e-yeah"s. Him saying "oh brother" got old fast for me too. It's a shame too because the instrumentals are on fire! Maybe it's one of those things that just take time to get used to.
:2.5:

10. BTS - I'm Fine
Kpop? Kthanxbyeee. This type of EDM-ish pop is just not my cup of tea. I can see the appeal, but it doesn't fall on my radar of enjoyment. 
:1.5:

11. G Dragon - Crooked
G Dragon is one of few Kpop artists that I don't mind. His style is unique enough to stand out from other Korean artists and his melodies are always catchy. Crooked is no different. The lyrics are actually quite sad but, paired with the upbeat and positive melody, it' s like an anthem for those with an I-don't-care-or-give-a-fuck attitude and it's incredibly infectious. It's a perfect note to end the mix on.
:3.5:

Overall the mix was on the more enjoyable side. There were a few tracks in there I wasn't too fond of, but there were more tracks that I enjoyed a lot. I really like that the mix was diverse and included a lot of different genres but they all came together nicely into one mix. I could feel the emotional roller coaster through the songs: Feeling calm and happy, then a little sad and down, but then feeling motivated and energized. 

I had a good time listening to your mix! Found some things I really liked and would like to revisit. Can't wait to hear what you have to say about my mix.

Edited by ghost

5 hours ago, ghost said:

@Zeus I'm ready to post my review lol. Guess I'll be the first to post!

My partner for this trade-off was @togz. Her mix was called:

Spring Beginnings

2rrnxxk.jpg

She wanted this mix to reflect her personal transition from winter to spring. It's about letting go and moving on, and going through lows and highs. The mix features a sampling of pop, indie rock, ambient, dream pop, alternative rock, and kpop. There were some surprises in there I wasn't expecting and, I have to say, I enjoyed the mix a lot. So, here's how it went:

Reveal hidden contents

Hey, I'm glad that even though you didn't particularly like all the songs that you understood the flow I was going for. I was really excited to read your thoughts and FANTASTIC DRUGSTORE IS COOL AM I RIGHT? I discovered them on accident some time ago when I first started listening to Kpop. It was kind of interesting to find it in the mix of idol groups. Thanks so much for your review.

I will have yours posted on Saturday since I have the WHOLE DAY OFF THAT DAY AYYYYYYYE! Also I'm glad you noticed G Dragons song. I mean I figured you'd know what they were all saying, so I took a risk... but I actually looked up the lyrics AFTER I made the mix and was surprised to find the idea of the songs lyrics also went with what I was going for.

I guess my only question for you is, the photo. I know it's simplistic, but what did you think about the flow and concept of the songs matching with such a simple photo. You're also a photographer and while I didn't take this particular image I'm curious to hear what your analysis is on it.

Edited by togz

@togz That's surprising because it's so different from idol songs. But serendipitous finds are always the best!

Can't wait! And yeah. I've heard the song before but have never paid attention to the lyrics. 

Ah right, seeing as this IS the picture is worth 1000 songs I should have talked about it. I think it's a great photo that captures the essence of the mix. I see it like this: The rainy bench is where you're at. You're going through your life and you just can't seem to catch a break. You try to look forward but you just see more struggle. 

But then you notice the sun, a small ray of happiness or relief and that there's a path to it. It's hard to see, but it's there. And it's that hope that keeps you going. You don't know how you're gonna get there or what the path is like. You don't even really know what the destination will bring you. But you know that, whatever it is, it's a million times better than here.

The rainy bench takes up most of the image. In the context of this theme, I think that speaks to how strongly negative experiences or thoughts can influence one's emotions. There can be good things that happen to you or around you, but when something bad happens that can become the only thing we see. 

The blurred out path represents uncertainty and it's within there where you might experience your highs and lows. And that sun high in the sky is the constant reminder that there's something worth fighting for everday. Your life isn't just coming to nothing. There's something to look forward to. It's an attainable goal or milestone.

Maybe I'm digging too deep, but this what your image and mix said to me : )

So here is my attempt at making a decent review of @Komorebi 's mixtape. I hope I do justice because I really love the selection of the songs. Plus, our themes kind of matched XD. Basically, the theme was songs to enjoy while walking in the city during  Autumn. (which is basically the best season @ me) 

n20bpg.jpg

Spoiler

THE ORAL CIGARETTES – What you Want

Love it! I mean the two songs I’d listened so far from them (this and another one which I can’t remember omg) were good! And this one especially got stuck in my head because of the uplifting beat and the catchy bridge there haha. Also, I think it goes well with the picture, because it really reminds me of the energetic vibe Japan has <3.

BUCK-TICK – Jonathan Jet Coaster

Oh god I got so happy when I saw this song in the list! I love it so much and it brought a new perspective of the whole theme. Listening to this song and looking at the picture, made me think of when you’re walking down the street and your jam comes in and you must control yourself not to dance around XD. This is also a good to use in drinking games: take a shot every time Sakurai says “fucking baby” XD

exist†trace - 二つの声

It’s my first time listening to this band and I already like this song! I feel so good and I can only imagine having a playlist like this while walking around. Listening to music and admiring the beautiful scenery that Japan has at every corner is the life I need. The beginning of the song is my favourite part, heck, it even gave my goosebumps! This song can also be a nice opening for one of those old anime’s (if it is already than I’m sorry my uncultured ass didn’t know XD).

the LOTUS – 少年

Waaaaa I love it! I really like how soothing the singer’s voice sounds even with all the growl he’d done (or is there another one doing the growls there? Again, my uncultured ass XD). The first few seconds had me jump out of my chair because I wasn’t expecting someone to yell at me like that hahaha. I love the melody though! I imagine that picture you’d chosen to be part of an anime opening where it gets all photoshopped with different effects. It’s definitely a good song to head bang and enjoy during a live festival.

安室奈美恵 – Fighter

NAMIE AMURO YAS GAWD SLAYY

Ok, I freaking LOVE this song! I want to hear this in a club omg, I would be so down on this tune.

I love that you chose this, because I can only think how divers your playlist is XD. It really is a mixtape suitable to listen to while walking around <3. Though I think that I listen to this in public I might try matching my steps to the beat XD. And can we talk about that mini rap part? GURL we get it you are talented you can rest! XD I love the swag, the fierceness and the lyrics.

Lindsey Stirling - Heist

UHM HELLO! Come thru violin! Come thru techno stuff! Come thru oh we about to get down real quick! God I love this! I am trying very hard here to keep my shit together and not go crazy and dance on this song XD (will do it after I finish writing I promise XDD). The violin rocked my mind so much omg! Imagine if this song comes in while you are riding the train? I would be tapping my feet the whole time.

DECAYS – Where are you going?

I think about that every time I go to work tbh XD. It’s a nice song! I mean hell, that’s what happens when some icons come together and make music together! I love it so much. It’s so old school yet modern. Gives me dodgy street in the middle of the night vibes, and I like it. I have been listening to this song way too much and I will probably keep on listening to it. It fits so well in this mixtape.

MUCC - 蝉時雨

WOW coming at me like THAT? Sorry, I almost had a stroke when I saw this song on the list. Shion is such a good album omg it needs more love. I love this song, especially the lyrics (I cry almost every time ;A; ). And Tatsuro’s voice? I mean who gave him the right? And can we talk about that guitar in the beginning? UHM, excuse Miya you can’t just drop it like that and expect me to still be alive.

Also that bass! Ugh hit it boiiii! I have an unholy weakness for Yukke’s bass skills. And Satochi coming in like a badass and serving us drums skills yes! These boys are too much for me, I love them to pieces XD. I love it how we transitioned from dance to visual kei like that!

HOLYCLOCK - 羽根

First time listening to this song and this band. I feel like I’m going to search more about them now XD. I like that instrumental part in the middle before the guitar solo. I can imagine trying to hurry my pace while walking so that I can match the rhythm. I love this song and I feel like it’s good as something to go in the middle of this mixtape.

未知 - 涙の河

I feel like it’s a good transition from the previous song, because they kind of match. Although this one is more “that miko in the front is actually a vampire” style. It’s like if Durara and Ayakashi Ayashi were one anime XD. Or if Lestat went to Japan. I feel like it can match the picture, maybe after the sun goes down.

Do As Infinity – ブランコ

DAAAAAAIII! Yes! This song is probably the best one to match the picture. If that picture was a song it would be this one.

I literally am crying as I’m listening to this because they are my entire childhood. I love DAI so much, everything they breath sounds beautiful.

I love how the song combines traditional sounds with modern ones, just like in the picture. It warmed my soul so much ;A;.

OZ – Breath Trees

Wooo coming back to rock and uplifting beats yes! This song can pull out from the melancholy feeling that I just lived with the previous songs. Like I’m ready to walk fast again and pass by people like a flash and let my hair in the wind and just smell the fresh air around me. It sounds like a nice ending for an anime and I’m here for it. I love the name of the song XD. Honestly where do I buy? XD

Kagrra - 鬼哭啾愀

Yes another song that matches the picture very well! The DAI one would the ending and this one can be the second opening <3. I’m a sucker for songs that mix traditional Japanese sounds and rhythms with rock and modern ones. It makes for a nice tune to listen to while wandering in Kyoto. His voice is so nice btw! It could put me to sleep and wake me up at the same time XD

Honestly, I hope I did your work justice because I really liked what you put together. I added all the songs I didn't know on my phone and I will listen to them from now on while walking around and I will think of this picture haha XD.

Edited by Triangle

Hello~ My partner this round was @platy! I got sent a very interesting mix to speak for this lovely painting:

On 3/8/2019 at 7:28 PM, platy said:

The Soul Of The Rose

1908, John William-Waterhouse

POeiMiA.jpg

On 3/8/2019 at 7:28 PM, platy said:

"And the soul of the rose went into my blood"

Spoiler

1. 9GOATS BLACK OUT - ROMEO :_9/10_:
Always a great start to a mix. This is one of my favorite 9GBO songs too. In the context of the mix this feels like a dark temptation to a forbidden rose. Even if it's thorns are poisonous, there's no escape. 

2. Femme Fatale - Perverted Martyr :_7.5/10_:
A good continuation from the previous song both musically and thematically. Though I'm a bigger fan of the previous, this song is beautiful but feels a little 'one note' and is kind of never grows to it's full potential but Kaya's vocals are always a blessing for the ears. As the saga of the rose continues, this one has good lyrics of a love like a rose, but sadly not everything works out as we wish it to be.

3. ザアザア - 花占い :_9.5/10_:
Another song I love a lot. Cheers to us for both including Xaax in our mixes. Taste.

giphy.gif
This song invokes a lot of yearning, and sadness. Our rose has left and we're woefully alone. 

4. ゲスの極み乙女。 - 心地艶やかに  :_6.5/10_:
After the Enon and Becky scandal, I admit, I don't listen to any of his bands anymore. Though I always liked them before. Musically the song changes gears completely from the others, but a closer look at the lyrics shows how it fits with a fear of someone breaking your heart. Oh, the irony. 

5. Yeti - Suki  :_5/10_:
I can see here we've turned a corner and are starting to explore a more straight-forward love confession. At least, from what I can gather... this one was harder to find a translation for. But the song progresses with a strong sense of optimism. This one isn't really my personal taste, but it's not bad either.

6. Bonnie Pink - Maze of Love  :_1/10_:
This sounds older... I'm gonna have to look up the release date on this one. lol. Yep. 1995, right before production got overly slick and unapologetically digital. She has a nice voice, but the song gets very repetitive. At half way through it already feels like I've heard enough, sorry. The 4 minute guitar solo at the end drags on and adds very little to this song.

7. Do As Infinity - Heart  :_6.5/10_:
Now this song is more my speed. I like how the music conveys the bit of insecurity before setting off on a journey. It feels like it could easily be an anime theme. I dig it.

8. Ximena Sariñana - Vidas Paralelas  :_5/10_:
Oooh, a Spanish song! It definitely fits right in with Bonnie Pink and DAI. Again this kind of repetitive bop along style song isn't my personal style, but thematically it fits very well.

9. People In The Box - かみさま  :_6/10_:
PitB tend to be a bit background music for me. I enjoy them while they're on but rarely think about them afterwards. Maybe it's just because their songs tend to be more even-keeled emotionally. Though this one has more range than I remember them having in the past. This is the first time I felt like the song didn't fit the image or overarching theme of love. Maybe there was a subtlety I missed.

10. Jonathan Morali - Golden Hour :_8.5/10_:
The sun sets on our mix with a really beautiful instrumental outro. The light is low and we have to pack up our garden tools now and leave the roses for another day. It keeps things short and sweet, and it's very effective. 

thumbs-up-gif-anime-11.gif

Overall, the mix worked well for me. Not every song was my taste but I could see how they related to the image chosen and the other songs on the mix, save the one. I enjoyed the variety between genres and age range of the songs. Kudos! I also appreciate the John William-Waterhouse art you chose, the colors are bold but the details are so delicate. The subject's expression also lends to being carried away by the fragrance of the rose which works nicely with your conceptual approach. Thank you for being my partner this time around. :) 

Edited by doombox