Gesu

VK/J-rock confessions

And you know what? If they had said “Hey, the band wants you to buy these cheki instead of taking a few photos. Pick 5 for $20.” I would be fine with that. But they haven’t. Then, the motivation for restricting photos would have had exactly the same motivation as in Japan (monetary).

The only reason that I can see for disallowing the Meet and Greet photos seems to be protecting the feelings of their gya back home that can’t meet them anymore. For that, I understand.

But there’s only so much of my experience that I’m willing to sacrifice solely to protect the feelings of people who get to see the band multiple times a year, for longer and more diverse set lists, and a wider variety of merch options.

1 minute ago, GreatNorthernVK said:

The only reason that I can see for disallowing the Meet and Greet photos seems to be protecting the feelings of their gya back home that can’t meet them anymore. For that, I understand.

Have you seen how pissy those gya can get? They have hair-trigger tempers and you do not want to piss them off. If anything, they're doing this to protect you.

9 hours ago, Gesu said:

Have you seen how pissy those gya can get? They have hair-trigger tempers and you do not want to piss them off. If anything, they're doing this to protect you.

And on the off chance they track down my friends-only Facebook account, there’s always the “block” option. 

Or, if they’re extra hair-trigger stalkery, they’ll fly to Toronto to come find me, none the wiser that I’m back in Winnipeg already.

I only just found out that they're called "Madmans Esprit" and not "Madmans Espirit". I thought an "e-spirit" was like an e-cigarette but with alcohol. Not quite sure how that'd work, but oh well. 😕

Speaking of a sharp edge, I want Sizna to lacerate me with his jawline

DSURaVB.jpg

17 minutes ago, Gesu said:

Speaking of a sharp edge, I want Sizna to lacerate me with his jawline

DSURaVB.jpg

He has many amazing looks, but this is one of my favorites xD (Still super sad that he's basically disappeared ;w;) 

3 minutes ago, monkeybanana4 said:

He has many amazing looks, but this is one of my favorites xD (Still super sad that he's basically disappeared ;w;) 

Never heard of him. Is he a solo artist or was he part of a band?

Edited by psychonnect_rozen

3 minutes ago, psychonnect_rozen said:

Never heard of him? Is he a solo artist or was he part of a band?

He used to be one of the guitarists from VK bands like Moran and Sugar. He plays really well and has some great guitar parts. @Gesu would know more :P 

EDIT: Here's one of their songs where his playing shines, lol

Edited by monkeybanana4

On 5/16/2019 at 2:08 AM, psychonnect_rozen said:

Never heard of him? Is he a solo artist or was he part of a band?

He was in Sugar and Moran~ ^_^ he was their guitarist and he's probably my favourite musician. He's insanely talented, and I still stand by my statement a while back when I said I'd sell my soul to him to teach me how to play if I weren't so damn tiny (I can't hold a guitar without it being cumbersome >.<).

@monkeybanana4 Thanks, haha :P I guess I could recommend some of his best songs for guitar, although it's difficult to choose, really. If I had to pick...

My opinion will probably change later on and I might think of some different songs, but there ya go. Also, I remember saying both bands had jazz influences. These aren't their jazziest songs, but they're still equally fantastic. There was just something about them that was... different, somehow.

(Btw, Mousou Nikki is a cover of a song by Sid.)

Haa, sorry for the long post! I get very enthusiastic when talking about Sizna, Sugar and Moran.

Edited by Gesu

2 minutes ago, psychonnect_rozen said:

Just listened to the first song. That was awesome! I love the guitars and Hitomi's (had to look up his name) vocals! Going to listen to their albums now. Are any of them still active?

Hitomi has a solo project under the name Umiyuri, Vivi (other guitarist with blond hair) is now in DEZERT under the name Miyako, Ivy (bassist) is in a band called LACK-CO, Soan (drummer) has a solo project called Soan Project, Loki (singer of Sugar) is in a band called More and I don't think Shingo (Sugar's bassist) and Atsuto (Sugar's drummer) are doing anything, but I could be wrong on some of that. I think that's all right, though.

Shingo used to be in Gotcharocka (you can check out their early stuff if you liked his bass in Sugar), but there was a huge drama about him departing. He joined some non vk band (Z's or something like that? Can't really remember) after that, but I'm not sure if they're still active.

On 4/14/2019 at 12:14 AM, saiko said:

They were really amateur. Some songs are catchy, but nothing more than that. When you listen 5+ songs you quickly find them uninspired and unskilled.

being kinda bad is kind of what makes oldschool bands kinda appealing. It wasn't about who can play the most technical riffs or shred the fastest, they were average musicians just doing their best and pouring their emotions to the music. 

Oof this has been dead for a while lol.

Here’s a few:

I actually enjoy some of Miyavi’s new stuff. Even if I prefer his early days and his DLQ stuff, I appreciate the new stuff. It’s catchy and fun

I perfer the Gackt era over the Tetsu and Klaha eras of Malice Mizer 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

On 10/12/2019 at 3:21 PM, psychonnect_rozen said:

I perfer the Gackt era over the Tetsu and Klaha eras of Malice Mizer 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

9 hours ago, Doesn'tEvenGoHere said:

Same. I actually only like the Gackt era.

Same.

I don't hate any of their eras, but I'll basically third that. Tetsu era is kind of barebones in a way that doesn't suit their concept, and doesn't have anything as close to a perfect song as Le Ciel.
Klaha era is just too Castlevania/proto-mallgoth for my blood. As a general rule in music, I start noping out the second I hear harpsichord

On 10/14/2019 at 8:24 PM, hopefully_benign said:

Klaha era is just too Castlevania/proto-mallgoth for my blood. As a general rule in music, I start noping out the second I hear harpsichord

I used to feel that way, but after, I don't know, 5+ years? after discovering MM and their Klaha era, I think I became able to "understand" what they might have tried to put out with the whole 'Castlevaniaesque' aesthetics. I strongly recommend you to take another listen to this beautifully decadent tracks that should be considered true VK hymns, even worldwide neoclassical rock hymns:

Also, their respective live performances are just beautiful. It's awesome that even after losing Kami, Gackt and with that their major deal with Nippon Columbia, MM still managed not only to stay popular but also creative enough to make another iconic Budokan gig. 

Edited by saiko

I actually don't think its far fetched for a VK (or any) band to ask that there isn't any photography during their shows. And they as well as the venue have whatever right to lay the consequences on you if you get caught. There have been cases where the performers have called out and or kicked out people for using their phones. Idk about you but I'd feel embarrassed and like a dumbass if I was on the receiving end of that. Granted the GazettE couldn't and wouldn't do so and not all the venues had staff confiscate phones, It's just a matter of integrity and basic respect.

Also, no matter what justifications people have had or will have, you can live without taking a picture or video during a set IF you're asked not to. That memory/experience of the show alone should suffice.

And lets be honest, the clips and video ppl are willing to potentially get reprimanded for are probably ass anyways.

Edited by Ro plz

2 hours ago, Ro plz said:

I actually don't think its far fetched for a VK (or any) band to ask that there isn't any photography during their shows. And they as well as the venue have whatever right to lay the consequences on you if you get caught. There have been cases where the performers have called out and or kicked out people for using their phones. Idk about you but I'd feel embarrassed and like a dumbass if I was on the receiving end of that. Granted the GazettE couldn't and wouldn't do so and not all the venues had staff confiscate phones, It's just a matter of integrity and basic respect.

Also, no matter what justifications people have had or will have, you can live without taking a picture or video during a set IF you're asked not to. That memory/experience of the show alone should suffice.

And lets be honest, the clips and video ppl are willing to potentially get reprimanded for are probably ass anyways.

Coldrain had banned it for a while but allowed it, but only on one man shows as to not disrespect the other acts.

Gazette playing vortex in 2016 was almost ruined for me cause the person in front whipped out the camera and I couldn't see, like please I'm short as it is. So I think doing this can ruin it for other attendees, if I wanted to watch through a screen I'd have stayed home lol

14 minutes ago, heresytrash said:

Coldrain had banned it for a while but allowed it, but only on one man shows as to not disrespect the other acts.

Gazette playing vortex in 2016 was almost ruined for me cause the person in front whipped out the camera and I couldn't see, like please I'm short as it is. So I think doing this can ruin it for other attendees, if I wanted to watch through a screen I'd have stayed home lol

For the last gazette concert some taller girl used me as support for her phone. She had her elbows on my shoulders and got super aggressive whenever I tried to shove her off or get the phone off my face.
I barely saw Do As Infinity's performance in 2017 because all the really tall fanboys pushed their way to the front and took out their phones.
I've gotten lots of concerts ruined because people want to record them.

3 minutes ago, Komorebi said:

For the last gazette concert some taller girl used me as support for her phone. She had her elbows on my shoulders and got super aggressive whenever I tried to shove her off or get the phone off my face.
I barely saw Do As Infinity's performance in 2017 because all the really tall fanboys pushed their way to the front and took out their phones.
I've gotten lots of concerts ruined because people want to record them.

If someone did that to me I stg I'd get into it. During one ok rock this tall girl fell back on me causing me to hit another girl behind me, and got mad when  I pushed her off when she didnt move. 

1 hour ago, platy said:

I listened to X Japan for the first time. The only song that stands out is Xclamation. Otherwise they're just a subpar glam rock band with a god-awful vocalist

Imho, 'Weekend' is the perfect example of X's musical concept, and I dare to say that that concept played a key part in the development of VK's musical concept itself. 'Weekend' starts out as a typical glam riot-song -considering the difference that makes the full melodic bassline of Taiji againts the always-on-the-root of most of the Western metal basslines-. But when one reaches the pre-chorus, the song fills with orchestral string arrangments and suddenly the ambient shifts from a groupie-party to a scenery of beauty and tragedy. The PV makes this very clear while putting this sounds into images of shoujo manga-like characters in situations of self-harm, suicide, crazyness, loneliness, etc.

Of course, I'm not saying you can't dislike X lol. Just wanted to share some points with you and everyone else about the things that imho make X a special act in the history of rock, aside from Wikipedia and bandomen overall calling them the VK momma with no apparent explanation.

Edited by saiko