Gesu

VK/J-rock confessions

I've never cared for Mejibray and a huge chunk of the "big" bands within the scene, with a few exceptions of course. I'm not trying to be hipsterish at all costs, it's just that I have a hard time getting into anything that I find overexposed. If I like something, I'll like it regardless of the popularity (or lack of thereof) of the band, it's just that it happens rarely with well-known bands.

(basically, I enjoy screaming in the void about bands no1curr about)

While it is publicly known that I have a large distaste for Mejibray, I never tell anyone what kept the fires going.

It stems not so much from their crappy music (although I believe this to be true) or that their diehard fans at the time couldn't see past the superficiality, it was actually just that I think/thought they looked like giant assholes who were just dicking around and made VK look bad. In short, an embarrassment to the scene.

Was I wrong? Idk I never cared to check but I do know that the members still look like assholes haha.

The fact they are no more just gets a meh from me.

Secretly, I think a certain band I listen to felt the same way as I did too lol so there was also that.

6 minutes ago, chipathy said:

Vk makes vk look bad dont put this on mejibray

There are so many things that make VK look bad and it's mostly down to some - SOME - people in the fandom. I've never really met anyone on MH who I particularly hate, but there are some people in the fandom as a whole who just make me want to get out so fucking badly. Their presence is so overbearing that I am this 👌 close to leaving the fandom sometimes. I think the only reason I haven't already left is because I'd never find out anything new. Plus, I've fallen too far deep into it.

On 2/20/2019 at 7:37 PM, BrenGun said:

@Gesu

Sometimes you can say fuck it, to a fandom, sometimes you can't. sometimes you really have to stop being a fan.

Maybe you were right. :(

@Gesu it is possible to enjoy things without becoming invested in the fandom. I have no contact with vk apart from MH. Even if the community here was unbearable, or certain musicians made me seriously reconsider what I'm doing with my life (the raid, gosan) it'd be simple to take what I need and go. Steven Universe's fandom is actually diseased, yet it's easy to fully enjoy the show and theories without making contact with the demented parts of the fans. Just imagine wearing a hazmat suit. Mute, block, ignore. Enjoy what you will. 

2 hours ago, YuyoDrift said:

While it is publicly known that I have a large distaste for Mejibray, I never tell anyone what kept the fires going.

It stems not so much from their crappy music (although I believe this to be true) or that their diehard fans at the time couldn't see past the superficiality, it was actually just that I think/thought they looked like giant assholes who were just dicking around and made VK look bad. In short, an embarrassment to the scene.

Was I wrong? Idk I never cared to check but I do know that the members still look like assholes haha.

Secretly, I think a certain band I listen to felt the same way as I did too lol so there was also that.

I'll be honest, I'm the kind of person that also dislikes bands sometimes based on gut feeling. If I sense an asshole-ish aura about them, I won't get into them most likely, so I understand your feelings towards Mejibray completely. If I wanna "stan" I have to at least like the image a band portrays. They may act completely differently in their everyday life maybe, but as long as their band personas don't come out as raging douches then I'm good.

(ofc I check tanuki and places alike to keep up if I'm interested in them, but you know.)

Vk isn't exactly a wholesome scene, I don't expect everyone to be squeaky clean, but yeah, I tend to favor chill people that don't act like try-hards (if I dig their music that is)

(I wonder which certain band may agree with your view on Mejibray 👀)

Edited by Nighttime Jae

5 hours ago, YuyoDrift said:

idk they weren't that band compared to some bands these days. yeah they were pretty big but idk ... i can never feel the hate for them . they really weren't terrible tho.

I would never leave any fandom just because there are "bad" people or something... First, the  "fandom" should be a lot more about the thing you enjoy/like rather than the other people who also like it. Plus, there's "bad" people everywhere, in any fandom, group, circle of people, as long as there is people, there will be people with whom you can make a connection, and others not, some good people, some not so much etc.

About Mejibray, I haven't listened too much from them, from what I've listened to, it sounded too basic and not very interesting, so I just moved over to the next bands xD  but I don't "hate" them, couldn't care less. xD

Lbr Mejibray gets extra hate because a lot of the fans who do love them get extra obnoxious about it. Ngl it’s been really rough for me to find fans that aren’t batshit or twelve. (Saying this as a Mejibray fan. - thankfully I’ve got a decent circle of people to talk to, but it’s very, very small.)

4 hours ago, Masato said:

I use the open DM feature to reserve chekis sometimes for casually chatting with a bandguy instead. 

If they state they're okay with receiving DMs  in general (and often they do), I do it all as well. God bless the indies.

15 hours ago, porawantstodie said:

Lycaon was way better and had more personality than Initial'L

How is that a confession? I'm fairly sure every single person who's familiar with both will say the same, me included haha

Sometimes when people walk past my door (I live in a flat), I turn my music down/pause it even though it's not that loud because I don't want anyone to hear some of the stuff I listen to. Tbh, I don't think anyone who lives here even gives that much of a shite, but I still get self-conscious, especially when I'm listening to an OST or something jazzy. I love jazz, but I worry that people will judge me for that. I'm also very hesitant to tell people I like VK/J-rock, so whenever someone asks me what kind of music I listen to, I say "if I told you, you would run away" and I only tell them if they press the issue. I dunno why, but that's how I've always been.

4 minutes ago, Gesu said:

Sometimes when people walk past my door (I live in a flat), I turn my music down/pause it even though it's not that loud because I don't want anyone to hear some of the stuff I listen to. Tbh, I don't think anyone who lives here even gives that much of a shite, but I still get self-conscious, especially when I'm listening to an OST or something jazzy. I love jazz, but I worry that people will judge me for that. I'm also very hesitant to tell people I like VK/J-rock, so whenever someone asks me what kind of music I listen to, I say "if I told you, you would run away" and I only tell them if they press the issue. I dunno why, but that's how I've always been.

same here ._. when i lived with my roommates  i never listened to my music, maybe only sometimes on low volume and not vk but something more "socially acceptable". being shy sucks ._.

On 4/4/2019 at 5:33 AM, frayed said:

Lbr Mejibray gets extra hate because a lot of the fans who do love them get extra obnoxious about it. Ngl it’s been really rough for me to find fans that aren’t batshit or twelve. (Saying this as a Mejibray fan. - thankfully I’ve got a decent circle of people to talk to, but it’s very, very small.)

In the west Mejibray seemed to skip that phase entirely where a band steadily builds up hype and a fanbase over the months or even years, and instead headed straight from first release into canonical status with fangirls rabid enough to withstand comparison with The GazettE's. Already during their first year of existence they were talked about in the same breath with the older bands of much more prestige. I think I've seen something close to like this only with Kizu, but only in far lesser scale since the vk fanbase in the west has again shrunk to about 20% of what it was in 2011 or even in 2012. But back then and couple of year onwards you'd see facebook and etc. littered with profiles from generic weebs that centered around The Gazette and Mejibray, while the more hardcore community had yet to be completely estranged from the hype with their never ending singles release campaigns. The hype around this band was so real until 2015 or so, and I'm actually still surprised how big they got with such an unique sound ( anyone who disagrees is obviously an idiot who doesn't know what he's listening to. whether someone thinks they were good or not is besides the point, but the fact is that MiA's florid guitar work and Tzk's unorthodox vocals made them stand out from the scene right from the start; and while still in the topic their production was always so fucking weird too, like it was this mechanical, hollow sound that's quite unlike anything I've ever heard. I can't decide if it sounds like it was recorded in a studio or a rental space at a public library. ) I think it goes how important branding is over there, and they sure did it right at least in the beginning. 

3 hours ago, Mr.0 said:

How is that a confession? I'm fairly sure every single person who's familiar with both will say the same, me included haha

I like Initial'L better. The overall style fits Yuuki's voice better and makes him sound less forced.

3 minutes ago, Komorebi said:

I like Initial'L better. The overall style fits Yuuki's voice better and makes him sound less forced.

I thought that at first too, but I guess I just couldn't get used to their new style.

On 4/4/2019 at 12:03 AM, nomemorial said:

I've been into VK for over 15 years and haven't listened to a Luna Sea album from start to finish...

you should reconsider your last 15+ years

3 hours ago, Gesu said:

I'm also very hesitant to tell people I like VK/J-rock, so whenever someone asks me what kind of music I listen to, I say "if I told you, you would run away" and I only tell them if they press the issue. I dunno why, but that's how I've always been.

More so VK in my case. I know people who listen to anime songs and/or J-rock, but VK? Not really. So, I always had to listen to VK music with headphones on or not listen to it at all😔 I also remember somewhat hiding my computer screen whenever I watched VK music videos or lives whenever my roommates were around.

4 hours ago, Gesu said:

4 hours ago, yomii said:

same here ._. when i lived with my roommates  i never listened to my music, maybe only sometimes on low volume and not vk but something more "socially acceptable". being shy sucks ._.

46 minutes ago, monkeybanana4 said:

More so VK in my case. I know people who listen to anime songs and/or J-rock, but VK? Not really. So, I always had to listen to VK music with headphones on or not listen to it at all😔 I also remember somewhat hiding my computer screen whenever I watched VK music videos or lives whenever my roommates were around.

#MyMusicScaresPeople :D

Blast that shit, don't be ashamed of what you like. There are only two outcomes, either people won't give a damn or you'll get an interesting topic for conversation.

2 minutes ago, 123Sandman321 said:

#MyMusicScaresPeople :D

Blast that shit, don't be ashamed of what you like. There are only two outcomes, either people won't give a damn or you'll get an interesting topic for conversation.

well i kinda overcame this to some extent, at least i feel like i'm not ashamed of the fact i listen to vk anymore. i'd even say i'm kinda proud lol, aside from all the behind-the-scenes dramas and gross bangyas (and i try not to fuck with all that) there is so much beauty and creativity going on in the scene.

1 minute ago, yomii said:

well i kinda overcame this to some extent, at least i feel like i'm not ashamed of the fact i listen to vk anymore. i'd even say i'm kinda proud lol, aside from all the behind-the-scenes dramas and gross bangyas (and i try not to fuck with all that) there is so much beauty and creativity going on in the scene.

Honestly, I'm so glad to hear this because I'm on exactly the same wavelength as you here, and normally, if you bring this kind of perspective up, you get ree'd at.