FOSCOR70

oldest visual kei music video?!

title says it all.

which is the oldest vk orientated music video or the oldest you are aware of?

Sprinkle all the info you have about this topic in this thread.

Peace~

Edited by FOSCOR70

BUCK-TICK released a VHS tape called "MORE SEXUAL!!!!!" in February 1988,  containing music vids for these songs:

- SEXUAL XXXXX!

- DREAM OR TRUTH

- HYPER LOVE

- EMPTY GIRL

- ILLUSION

- MY EYES & YOUR EYES

D'ERLANGER released a VHS titled "an aphrodisiac" in October 1989, containing music vids for these songs:

- LA VIE EN ROSE

- LULLABY

- an aphrodisiac

- INDECENT-TWO-PERSONS

These are the oldest I can think of.

14 hours ago, AimiGen7 said:

Though I don't know how old this is, X Japan made a PV for Kurenai. 

Reveal hidden contents

I'm pretty sure it's from 1987.

Also 1987, if you consider them VK.

13 minutes ago, juuichi said:

oldest vk video or just filmed w a potato?

All the panikku pvs look like that more or less. 😂 definitely potato.

52 minutes ago, God said:

All the panikku pvs look like that more or less. 😂 definitely potato.

Mission Music Factory PVs in general look like that (How long were Panic Channel on MMF before they switched to Sequence Records?)

5 hours ago, AimiGen7 said:

Mission Music Factory PVs in general look like that (How long were Panic Channel on MMF before they switched to Sequence Records?)

I’m not sure when exactly, but CLJ was formed in 2006, so some point after that.  Wasn’t MMF their own label?  I didn’t know anyone else released under that label.

13 hours ago, God said:

I’m not sure when exactly, but CLJ was formed in 2006, so some point after that.  Wasn’t MMF their own label?  I didn’t know anyone else released under that label.

Nightmare, Gill'e Cadith, and Angel+Dust were also on Mission Music Factory. I also believed the same film staff was used for Yayoi ex. Angel+Dust's labels, Eternal (The GazettE's first label, also the label of Meguru when he played drums in GARASU) and Climax Enterprise, since a lot of the same sets are used for Nightmare, Cuartet, Gazetto and other bands, and the editing on the videos are almost the same. The only things that differ are the camera quality, but that's because Yayoi videos had lower budgets. 

Panigyao here. MMF was their label until 2006. Then everything was produced by Kana himself;  he wore himself out doing all the managing, producing, making album art, e.t.c and retired, thus ending Panic Channel(save for Meguru doing sessions under Panic Channel with his current project's memebers; also because KYO~YA retired as awell). They were never on sequence; Tomozo is Meguru's close friend, so they got featured on a lot of sequence stuff, but never were signed with the label.

Edited by JRD

17 minutes ago, JRD said:

Panigyao here. MMF was their label until 2006. Then everything was produced by Kana himself;  he wore himself out doing all the managing, producing, making album art, e.t.c and retired, thus ending Panic Channel(save for Meguru doing sessions under Panic Channel with his current project's memebers; also because KYO~YA retired as awell). They were never on sequence; Tomozo is Meguru's close friend, so they got featured on a lot of sequence stuff, but never were signed with the label.

Ah, thanks for clearing things up. vk.gy had them listed as under Sequence Records so I'll have to edit that. 

Anyways, back to the original topic, if we can include Dead End, do those proto-VK goth bands like Madame Edwarda and G Schmitt count? I know Auto-Mod made some music videos, but I believe they're all from after they reformed on Penicillin's label. 

Anyways, someone in the 1978-1985 Japanese proto-VK Post Punk scene had to have made a music video, at least once. 

3 minutes ago, DaveKei said:

Kurenai PV from 1987. 

Nice find! :) I think this might be the oldest, or at least one of the very oldest ones in VK (or V-rock or whatever).

@AimiGen7 I don't count G Schmitt or Madame Edwarda as related to the VK scene in any way, they were just goth / post-punk to me at least. Also I don't think they did any PVs back when they were active in the '80s (I'm only aware of some scarce live footage from them).

Edited by Jigsaw9

12 minutes ago, Jigsaw9 said:

Nice find! :) I think this might be the oldest, or at least one of the very oldest ones in VK (or V-rock or whatever).

Thanks! It seems to be from the Xclamation VHS which was given out at live shows in Summer of 1987. 

聖飢魔II has a PV for their song Rôningyô no Yakata, released on 1986 album The End of the Century. Not entirely sure if we should count this as Visual kei rather than Heavy metal, but it's older than Kurenai.

Loudness's hit Heavy Chains from Thunder In The East released in 1985. (Again, up to perspective whether or not you want to count this as Visual)

Flatbacker (later known as EZO) with a video for Hard Blow from their 1985 VHS 'WAR IS OVER'.  (Same idea; Visual or not?)

Edited by Lestat