FOSCOR70

Most diverse sub genre of metal?

I'd say black metal or doom metal. There's just so much you can do within the framework of black metal before it becomes something else, unlike death metal, folk metal, heavy metal, grindcore, power metal etc. where the framework is so much tighter. At least from what we've seen so far IMO.

Avant-garde metal is an obvious choice for me, but prog metal can be pretty interesting in its many ways of how it can be executed.

I'd say it depends more on the band than the genre itself, although there are some genres that provide with a bigger range of creativity than others as it has been stated. I sometimes find myself surprised to discover bands that are so damn original in genres where you have a ton of bands sounding all the same. 

Anyway, it's obviously difficult to sound fresh with all the music out there.

Edited by Visutox

On 1/29/2019 at 11:31 AM, Bear said:

I'd say black metal or doom metal. There's just so much you can do within the framework of black metal before it becomes something else, unlike death metal, folk metal, heavy metal, grindcore, power metal etc. where the framework is so much tighter. At least from what we've seen so far IMO.

This is basically what I had in mind, so second this!