Daddyroma

What newer VK band interests you?

I have noticed a lot of people talk about how all the new vk groups sound the same or are copying older groups, but no one ever talks about the unique or more interesting sounding new vk groups. What are your fav new vk groups?  And I mean new as in they have only been around a couple years or less lol 😜

My favorite newer group is probably kizu, I think their concepts are interesting and I find them over all intriguing

Haven't found a really 'unique' sounding VK band among the newer ones, they sound mostly same-ish to me, but that's okay cuz most of the older bands sounded same-ish too to a certain extent, in their own time (even tho I liked that 'sameyness' more than the current young generation, if that makes sense).

That said, I'm enjoying Verxina, Rands, DIMLIM (if they count as newer) and to some extent Mamireta out of the more recent bunch of bands. Can't rationally describe why, it's just down to very little things, like the vocals in Verxina (cuz otherwise they are Basic New-Kei Band #2363) or the whole '90s throwback aesthetic and sound of Rands.

1 hour ago, Jigsaw9 said:

Haven't found a really 'unique' sounding VK band among the newer ones, they sound mostly same-ish to me, but that's okay cuz most of the older bands sounded same-ish too to a certain extent, in their own time (even tho I liked that 'sameyness' more than the current young generation, if that makes sense).

That said, I'm enjoying Verxina, Rands, DIMLIM (if they count as newer) and to some extent Mamireta out of the more recent bunch of bands. Can't rationally describe why, it's just down to very little things, like the vocals in Verxina (cuz otherwise they are Basic New-Kei Band #2363) or the whole '90s throwback aesthetic and sound of Rands.

Yeah I understand, a lot of the times I find many groups that sound the EXACT same I don't mind if there are parts that sound the same but when the whole song sounds like another I find it untasteful. I verxina and Dimlim., I think both of their voices are cool 😀

Edited by Daddyroma

Rands really rekindled my love for visual kei so they're going to be on my must-watch list for sure. 

Very interested in GRIMOIRE right now, also.  I enjoy their cutesy storybook concept mixed with a lot of their harsher tunes. I really loved the toned down Novel Fantasia recently, too. I'm excited to see what they do next.

Others I'm into: KEEL, virge, verxina, kizu and monou na lucid

Edited by Paraph

I'm not wild about every single thing they've released, but I think Kizu definitely have potential because it seems like they've managed to draw in both "dark" visual kei fans and people into the more accessible stuff. Whoever is managing them also clearly knows what they're doing, which seems to be pretty rare these days. Plus they've got Lime, who is basically exactly the type of singer I like, so I can't not pay attention to them.

I don't see them revolutionizing VK or anything, but I feel like Asty has the potential to be a really solid band if they keep going long enough. The songs are catchy, Takeru's voice stands out a bit, and their looks seem to be getting more polished with each release.

As someone whose "modern" vk tastes lie more on the キラキラ系 side, I do find most of the newer bands in the sub-genre/scene pretty samey in both composition and content. All of it is in my grotto, so I don't particularly mind the sameishness. However, if I were to pick out a band that really goes against the "grain", ドレミ・ファ ( prev. #ロストワールド) would be one of them. Om's voice is pretty refreshing and the songs are wonky in the best way possible. They might not be the most "dynamic" band, but their material never gets boring imo.

GARAK'S is another one that stands out to me. I guess it's their classic-rock tinged songs and "clear" vocals. They feel really clean... Might not be the most unique tho.

As for everything else, it's difficult, honestly. Visual kei really encompasses a large array of rock and metal subgenres. Some bands that might sound unique in the vk world are status quo in another genre/sub-genre. For example, vk "djent" bands can sometimes fall flat on me b/c I've been exposed to Western djent longer than I have w/ vk (and are my preference.) Same goes for br00tal kei v. Deathcore/Metalcore. 

*On a side note, I REALLY want to see a Math Rock vk band. Like "Shibuya Football" or something, lol. 

** Early ジグザグ was pretty fuckin' neato.  I wish they didn't go full meme-kei... Hoping they revisit that sound.

Edited by colorfuljinsei

What defines a "newer" band category? The only time I was jumping through the roof in excitement the last year was with shiina mio's APPLIQUE and boy, he did not disappointed me. Top 3 2018 releases for sure. I sure hope he takes this project forward, cuz its freaking refreshing compared to what unite has been doing. But not so confident after reading about the whole recording process...

I find DIMLIM and GRIMOIRE interesting, but in a: "oh, a new release by those guys, I'll check it when I can" way. but they are not recent, neither is Develop One's Faculties, which is imo the strongest act in vk right now by far.

Soan project is never bad, but rarely GREAT. sleepyhead improved after a really mediocre first album

and I guess that's it

1 hour ago, Paraph said:

Rands really rekindled my love for visual kei so they're going to be on my must-watch list for sure. 

Very interested in GRIMOIRE right now, also.  I enjoy their cutesy storybook concept mixed with a lot of their harsher tunes. I really loved the toned down Novel Fantasia recently, too. I'm excited to see what they do next.

Grimoire is really cool i love their concepts! 😊

1 hour ago, violetchain said:

I'm not wild about every single thing they've released, but I think Kizu definitely have potential because it seems like they've managed to draw in both "dark" visual kei fans and people into the more accessible stuff. Whoever is managing them also clearly knows what they're doing, which seems to be pretty rare these days. Plus they've got Lime, who is basically exactly the type of singer I like, so I can't not pay attention to them.

I don't see them revolutionizing VK or anything, but I feel like Asty has the potential to be a really solid band if they keep going long enough. The songs are catchy, Takeru's voice stands out a bit, and their looks seem to be getting more polished with each release.

I agree, I have liked kizu's last 3 singles, I think they have a lot of potential! I haven't heard any of Asty's music but I will definitely check them out now.

1 hour ago, chemicalpictures said:

What defines a "newer" band category? The only time I was jumping through the roof in excitement the last year was with shiina mio's APPLIQUE and boy, he did not disappointed me. Top 3 2018 releases for sure. I sure hope he takes this project forward, cuz its freaking refreshing compared to what unite has been doing. But not so confident after reading about the whole recording process...

I find DIMLIM and GRIMOIRE interesting, but in a: "oh, a new release by those guys, I'll check it when I can" way. but they are not recent, neither is Develop One's Faculties, which is imo the strongest act in vk right now by far.

Soan project is never bad, but rarely GREAT. sleepyhead improved after a really mediocre first album

and I guess that's it

I guess a newer band to me is a group the has only been out like 3 years or less. I agree dimlim and grimoire are definitely interesting. I only really like a few dimlim songs like vanitas and the silent song, I think sho has a very unique voice though and I hope to be able to get into them more soon.

If we're talking about REALLY new bands, then I'd have to say SHiSHi and Kirawaremono. Munou Na Lucid also have a lot of potential that I doubt they'll waste.

Most recent bands arent worth your ears--SORRY. There was a phase 3/4 years ago where like, all the hot startups were good but now we don't have much of anything to rely on. Dominor bands are flopping hard lately.

Kizu, DIMLIM, Virge, Rands and RAZOR are promising. DIMLIM are incredible, out of all the bands I would highly recommend them.

Edited by emmny

They're not that new, but Marco and Labaiser are two young bands that I've been obsessed with lately; they're bringing back that old-school punk rock and church-kei synthy mess realness, respectively, that I enjoy so much.

David is also another new project that I've enjoyed recently, but I was bound to like that anyway since it's Sui. I've also taken a liking towards Rands (although I've never cared for AvelCain), Doremi Fa (the ashes of #LOST WORLD), and Mathilda, but I'll admit I've been too lazy to try more newer groups. I also liked Zigzag for a bit, but as colorful-jinsei said, I hated their drastic change of sound when they abandoned their metal sound for something more fanservicey and similar to their previous bands. 😕 

As for newer bands that are fresh out of the womb, I'm eager to hear more from L'eveil en Roseraie, which sounds like Juka-era Moi dix Mois - I have a feeling that project is gonna be epic, if they don't end up releasing only venue-limited stuff or disbanding in the next couple of months 🙏

Not much for me...but I only get into really specific sounds. ザアザア isn't that new but I have loved all their recent releases, キズ and DIMLIM too, like most have mentioned. And まみれた god willing they keep delivering new workout tunes.

Gonna probably go through this thread though and check the bands I haven't listened to.

from 2016 to here, I ended up bumping into several bands that I really like! among them I can cite: ら せ ん, キ ズ, DIMLIM, GRIMOIRE, The THIRTEEN, ま み れ た etc.

Honestly the only vkei band left that I’m super engaged with is Kizu lol - although I’m still invested in following whatever sessions Meto/Yuutaro does. I mean there’s other stuff I like, but nothing I’m very devoted to.

(Non-vkei, but despite my initial reservations I am still invested in 8P-SB too. Fkkfkggkgk judge all you want )

2 hours ago, frayed said:

Honestly the only vkei band left that I’m super engaged with is Kizu lol - although I’m still invested in following whatever sessions Meto/Yuutaro does. I mean there’s other stuff I like, but nothing I’m very devoted to.

(Non-vkei, but despite my initial reservations I am still invested in 8P-SB too. Fkkfkggkgk judge all you want )

I tried listening to 8P-SB but I am not used to harujuku sounding music asdggjkllldld I am used to mejibray so its so hard for me to get used to koichi and genkis new style

4 hours ago, emmny said:

Most recent bands arent worth your ears--SORRY. There was a phase 3/4 years ago where like, all the hot startups were good but now we don't have much of anything to rely on. Dominor bands are flopping hard lately.

Kizu, DIMLIM, Virge, Rands and RAZOR are promising. DIMLIM are incredible, out of all the bands I would highly recommend them.

Yeah I agree, I have only been a vkei fan for like a year so most the bands that pop up all sound the same or dont have any charisma. I really like kizu, dimlim, xaa xaa, razor, gozenreiji, grimoire but other then that I find myself uninterested

actually quite a few bands have my attention now. i've been out of the vkei game for quite long, because all new bands just kept  dissapointing me. from time to time i cheked something new in youtube but saw nothing except same pvs with lyrics on screen and goddamn tv interference effects, needless to say music was total mediocrity too. well there were some songs that were quite nice but that wasn't enough for me to return to vk.

virge and kizu were who brought me back again. virge have that classic vkei sound and a good vocal, although a little disturbing. idk why but it does sound uncomfortable. kizu - well' i've already said everything i think about them here, just love them. also my eyes are on dimlim, rands, nazare - depending on their next moves i might become a fan. david, sarigia(they sound generic but still on a level i can enjoy) are quite nice.

I'm the type of weirdo who doesn't look for originalitythe or something unique in nee bands, and I love original tribute band (bands that write new music, but who try their best to sound like other bands). Doesn't mean I don't like originality tho, cuz I appreciate that as well. It's just not a must or anything gor me personally.

But truth be told, I haven't found a single new vk band that I find interesting in ages. Think the last was Grieva, and that's what? 5-10 years ago or something?

Some of the reason is ny own fault tho. Like most other scenes it's almost overflowed with bands, but I don't really have anywhere to find the new, good bands. Finding new, good western music of all types and genres are easy as hell because I got places where people will make it easy to find the new bands, but I don't have somewhere to look for new, good vk bands.

Edited by Bear

My list is almost the same as takadanOchSpelarLiteDotA, except idk who Matsuke Works are.

I am excited for L'eveil en Roseraie because they're a throwback to when I first got into vkei. Kaijuu Nijuu Mensou are a recent fav, although they're not necessarily new....their music just leaked for the first time very recently, so for my intents and purposes they're new lmao