Sign in to follow this  
Miasma

CRUSH! -90’s V-Rock best hit cover songs-

What does everybody think about the new compilation? I'm still giving it a thorough listen, so I'll come back with my opinions later. But I'm already liking NoGoD and MERRY's covers.

heidi. - ピンク スパイダー

Never given these guys a good try, but I have to say I'm impressed. I don't like the original song at all, or hide for that matter, but these guys make the song sound bearable. It get's a bit repetitive past the half-way mark, but good nonetheless.

3½/5

ドレミ團 - 街

Wasn't expecting anything bad, Doremi are quite good at what they do. Nice song, but nothing amazing.

3/5

BugLug - Melty Love

Minus points for recording the song in a bathroom; production sounds horrible. That aside, they didn't do much to the song? Nothing special. Oh and a personal rant: fuck you ex.Ruvie guys, you were all amazing and could have done so much more to this if you still knew how to compose good music.

2/5

NoGoD - 1/3??純情??感情

Not bad, sounds like something that would have been included in their recently released album.

3½/5

D - 月下??夜想曲

Fucking props for making the song their own! Hiroki sounds amazing, he should consider play this good more often. They left out the original's playful charm, but replaced it with some nice riffs and superb drumming.

4½/5

少女-ロリヰタ-23区 - STORM

I had yet to give the band a try since the new vocalist came into the picture, must say he's not that bad. Love the originality they added to the song, but god, do they need a new drummer.

4/5

摩天楼オペラ - 紅

I KUDENT RUUK BAK, HYUUD GOUN AWEI FUROUM MIII~ Sono's Engrish is beautiful... :cry: But damn did they do an amazing job with the song, which was already bad to begin with. Only drawbacks: there was not a single interesting guitar riff through out the song, and the lack of bricks to chuck at Ayame, because I felt he over did it sometimes.

4/5

DaizyStripper - With-you

Expected no less from Daizy. Excellent song choice, instrumentation (excluding the keys) was spot-on and Yuugiri sounded great. Don't care if this will awaken the Moshoropunchesyouintheface.gif-wrath, I liked it!

4/5

Will review the rest later, tired...

Your thoughts?

Also, for the love of waffles, please DO NOT turn this into a DIR EN GREY vs. MERRY thread. Thank you.

I was only interested in the Merry song, and it was pretty great! they really know how to MERRY UP a song while still keeping it recognizable.

heidi./ (hide with Spread Beaver「ピンク スパイダー??)

I haven't listened to heidi. in like years. This is a great reason why to carry on doing that. Nice vocalist, shame the other guys are basic as hale. This song needs a different tone of vocalist though, it's just so fucking boring. WHAT IS WITH THAT DRUMMING. Did they get that 9y/o from Toshi and t-earth (lolrememberthem) to do it.

ドレミ團/(SOPHIA「街??)

It's weird hearing SOPHIA tracks without Mitsuru. But this isn't bad, just a bit lacking in spark. Cheap synths >: not cool. Unless it's the original, when it is.

BugLug/(SHAZNA「Melty Love??)

...I'm sensing a trend. I thought BugLug was one of those vomiting-synths-and-glitter bands, why is this, and the previous tracks, just "modern" sounding transcriptions of the originals. Also needs worse Engrish. It's Merti Rov, get it right.

NoGoD/(SIAM SHADE「1/3??純情??感情??)

SIAM SHADE suck for the most part, all their songs sound the same and are pretty dull. Likewise for NoGoD. Credit to them, it could just be that Idgaf about the original, but it sounds like typical NoGoD, but a bit more anime-song'd.

D/(MALICE MIZER「月下??夜想曲??)

- First time I heard it I loved it, but now it's just ok. Wish they had tried to make it a bit more their own. Now I see why this was the radio release track.

少女-ロリヰタ-23区/(LUNA SEA「STORM??)

What is with their ubershit drumming. Liking their originality though, they've made the song their own. Even if their own means really really crap drums. DO YOU RIKE IT LOUGHHHHHHHH. Loving what they did with the solo, bridge to solo and the KISS MEEEE IN SA STORMIIII. Vocals weren't too bad! pleasantly surprised. Unf that chorus though. Need to have a Luna Sea day.

摩天楼オペラ/(X JAPAN「紅??)

Oh this is more like it. Lovelovelove.

DaizyStripper/(La'cryma Christi「With-you??)

WHAT HAVE THESE DOUCHES DONE TO LA'CRYMA. La'cryma are flawless, they've fucking ruined it. Never knew their vocalist was this bad - who ever does their keyboard work needs to be shot. Srsly awful. AND WTF IS THAT ENDING. NO.

12012/(GLAY「Winter, again??)

People still care about 12012? Winter, again is kinda a boring song - they didn't have much to work with. And they didn't do much either.

アンド/(PENICILLIN「ロマンス??)

Budget Gazette does a pretty basic version of Romance. The filtered vox was pretty pathetic, likewise the guitar work.

Mix Speaker’s, Inc./(CASCADE「S.O.Sロマンティック??)

MSI are fucking awful. Their gimmicks and style are beyond tacky, no exception here. Why have 2 vocalists in a band when neither can sing in tune.

LOST ASH/(D-SHADE「ENDLESS LOVE??)

Who the fuck are LOST ASH. Generic cover of a great song by a flawless band who're ignored now for some reason.

MERRY/(DIR EN GREY「Schwein??椅????)

MERRY tried their best with the shit starting material <3. Eh. The shoutyscream bit was kinda funny.

DuelJewel/(BUCK-TICK「JUPITER??)

DuelJewel? Didn't realize this album was from 2004. Sounds like they were working from garageband/a cheap niconico cover.

DOG inTheパラレルワールドオーケストラ/(Raphael「夢より素敵????)

FINALLY SOMETHING REALLY GOOD. The original is still one of the best vk songs ever, and DOG are really showing they're one of the best up-and-coming vk bands. Love Haru's voice, it compliments the song really well. Looove what they did with the chorus.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhh.

I decided to listen to the one song I dreaded the most first, the Raphael cover. They stayed close the original so you can't do much wrong, but they somehow managed to make the song sound boring and, I dunno... plastic-y. If I never heard Raphael before, this cover certainly wouldn't make me want to check them out. I think the vocalist ruined it for me. Boring voice and a vocal range of like 4 notes. Not going to listen to it again, it will only destroy a great song for me.

Will review the rest later.

Gotta love how the vocalist can't be replaced :(.

And I know it's not right, but I laughed when Sono started singing in English.

And 12012 raped Winter, Again. I liked it the first few seconds, but then it just died on me.

Most of the other songs that I knew were more or less the same.

MERRY/(DIR EN GREY「Schweinの椅子」)

MERRY tried their best with the shit starting material

It's a great world we live in now, where we DON'T have to worry about ohaiitzwill hijacking this thread after such an egregious comment, haha.

I agree with what you said about D's cover as well...

From what I've heard, even if I don't like some of the covers, this was definitely a cool idea!

My review's are not very indepth, more like comments, xD.

1- heidi. / hide with Spread Beaver - ピンク スパイダー

Prefer this to original, thats only because i hate hide's voice though. 6/10

2- DOREMIdan / SOPHIA - 街

DOREMIdan , never listened to them before....me likey! 7/10

3- BugLug / SHAZNA - Melty Love

...........i forgot how this sounded, must have sucked if i forgot already. 0/10

4- NoGoD / SIAM SHADE - 1/3??純情??感情

Pretty good, nowhere near as good as SIAM SHADE though, NEXT! 5/10

5- D / MALICE MIZER - 月下??夜想曲

Confused......it sounds like Gackt! Love this song and Asagi so... 10/10

6- Lolita23q / LUNA SEA - STORM

Sorry, couldn't listen to whole song, nobody should cover Luna Sea. 0/10

7- MATENROU OPERA / X JAPAN - 紅??

I finished listening to this around 15 mins ago, i'm still dancing! 10/10

8- DaizyStripper / La'cryma Christi - With-you

....................meh...... :Umno: 1/10

9- 12012 / GLAY - Winter, again

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz 0/10

10- And / PENICILLIN - ロマンス

I love And and Penicillin, i also love this song 9/10

11- Mix Speaker’s, Inc. / CASCADE - S.O.Sロマンティック

WTF!!! :oro: 0/10

12- LOST ASH / D-SHADE - ENDLESS LOVE

Pretty catchy, really like it! 8/10

13- MERRY / DIR EN GREY - Schwein??椅??

Don't like the song! 0/10

14- DuelJewel / BUCK-TICK - JUPITER

Sorry but this was garbage! 0/10

15- DOG inThe parallel world orchestra / Raphael - 夢より素敵??

Wow, was kinda scared to listen to this but damn, his vocals are great, love his voice. 10/10

1. heidi. - ピンク スパイダー (hide)

I don't think this was an overly good match. I liked some parts of it, but overall it was pretty bland.

2. ドレミ團 - 街 (SOPHIA)

Never heard the original, so I can't compare. Not bad, liked the piano. Might check out the original song one day.

3. BugLuG - Melty Love (SHAZNA)

Eh, autotune. :emo: Other than that it sounded like a hyper'ed version of the original without Izam. Mostly unnecessary.

4. NoGoD - 1/3の純情な感情 (SIAM SHADE)

I agree that this sounded pretty much like a regular NoGod song, at least like the last few ones I heard. Nor bad, but forgetful.

5. D - 月下の夜想曲 (MALICE MIZER)

I enjoyed this quite a bit. Especially the drums which are quiet different from the original.

6. 少女-ロリヰタ-23区 - STORM (LUNA SEA)

This was not bad at all. Some nice ideas, the vocals were plesant enough and din't even make me miss Ryuichi that much.

7. 摩天楼オペラ - 紅 (X Japan)

One of the better attempts. The engrish was funny. SOno got a bit annoying throuout the course of the song, but overall it was quiet enjoyable.

8. DaizyStripper -With-you

The vocalist annoyed me. A lot.

9. 12012 - Winter, again (GLAY)

Didn't like the original much, and this cover didn't make it better.

10. アンド - ロマンス (PENECILLIN)

The guitar parts were nice. The rest... meh.

11. Mix Speaker’s, Inc. -S.O.Sロマンティック (CASCADE)

Never heard the original, but just rating this song.... No. Just no. I somehow doubt I would have liked the original either though.

12. LOST ASH -ENDLESS LOVE (D-SHADE)

I don't think I ever heard any Lost Ash before. This wasn't exactly good, but not unbearable either. I skipped before the end though.

13. Merry - Schweinの椅子 (Dir en grey)

Never was overly fond of that song, so yeah... didn't do much for me as cover either. I liked the vocals though.

14. Duel Jewel - Jupiter (BUCK-TICK)

I liked this, not too special as a cover, but pleasant enough.

15. DOG inTheパラレルワールドオーケストラ - 夢より素敵な (Raphael)

As I said before, way to strip out all life of a great song. Awful. Begone. And I really want to kick the vocalist in the nuts.

Well, it was an interesting listen. Sadly, most songs didn't really add to the original, or just outright butchered them. But still, a cool idea. The songs by D and 摩天楼オペラ were probably my faves.

Maybe it's because I'm a raving fanboy, but Romance was just sexually abused before my ears (...eyes). What's with the random guitar filler? Where's the dreamy atmosphere? All of the life in that song is sucked out :(

I'll write a detailed CD review when I'm done listening to the whole Cd.

i only care about half the bands on both sides, so the only two I really cared about anyone mangling was Winter, Again and Storm. Ichini did a fine job of....completely copying it, lol. And I guess that's fine, since they could have really ruined it I guess. I thought Lolita23q did a good job too, and their cover was a little more imaginative. I was surprised that the vocals were so good, I really expected lameness there.

I liked Heidi's song, dgaf whether it did the original justice because I don't like Hide anyway. I kinda lol'd at the La'cryma cover bc he def has that annoying girly voice. Was surprised that DuelJewel didn't completely destroy the BT song. Kinda liked LOST ASH, might check them out further. Merry song, lol, might as well cover Diru at this point, is all I'm gonna say. :x

Not really offended by NoGod's cover, and I like Siam Shade and dislike NoGod. Ando was fine too, the guy's voice is actually more tolerable than Hakuei's, lol. I liked Mix Speakers', but I might as well say I've never heard the original and I generally like Mix Speakers. Same with Doremidan. As for Matenrou Opera....lol. I have zero love for X, and I don't like MO very much either, but congrats to them for making an X song into something that doesn't make me want to punch things.

Skipped a few where I didn't know the band at all. Mostly of these are pretty terrible or just boring. There are much better bands I'd chose to do the covers but ah well. I would've liked ABS to do Jupiter as his BT covers are phenomenal and Merry should've picked a better Deg to do... really... >_>

1- heidi. / hide with Spread Beaver - ピンク スパイダー

Like this! Would've liked slight more punk feel in singing and a bit more rough all around but still pleasant 8/10

2- DOREMIdan / SOPHIA - 街

Don't know sophia and this isn't very interesting but doesn't sound terrible 5/10

4- NoGoD / SIAM SHADE - 1/3??純情??感情

Well the vocals are pretty extremely different, but not necessarily bad thing. And sounds very NoGod. Props for trying. 6/10

5- D / MALICE MIZER - 月下??夜想曲

Pretty damn good must say. Asagi's annoyingly theatrical vocals work well here. Not big on the drumming though.. 9/10

6- Lolita23q / LUNA SEA - STORM

LS covers I judge harshly, but on that memorial album a few years ago there were some good ones if I remember! This is alright I suppose. If I heard it without knowing original I'd still like it. Vocals are decent enough. 7.5/10

7- MATENROU OPERA / X JAPAN - 紅??

really great! One of best covers on album. I like it better than X's... haha 9.5/10

8- DaizyStripper / La'cryma Christi - With-you

Love this song by La'cryma but daizystripper blows. This guy's voice makes me laugh. 3/10

9- 12012 / GLAY - Winter, again

Agree with above, it's pretty much exactly like the original (which is an ok thing I suppose). 8/10

10- And / PENICILLIN - ロマンス

Hard to live up to original amazing song and this surprised me in not sucking. Pretty good. 8/10

13- MERRY / DIR EN GREY - Schwein??椅??

One of my least fav Deg songs and Merry didn't really do it any better (or worse I suppose) 4/10

14- DuelJewel / BUCK-TICK - JUPITER

mehhhhhhh mehhhhhh. reaks of mediocrity and lacks passion. 4/10

15- DOG inThe parallel world orchestra / Raphael - 夢より素敵??

Don't know this band but am Raphael fan. OK job I guess, could use more SPUNK! 6/10

Really boring compilation, I'm surprised with rorita 23 doing almost outstanding work, duel jewel sucking A LOT and D doing a neat cover (much better than their own recent music).

Merry are good, and 12012 pulled a brilliant cover... straight out of their ass.

It's a great world we live in now, where we DON'T have to worry about ohaiitzwill hijacking this thread after such an egregious comment, haha.

;_;

2. ドレミ團 - 街 (SOPHIA)

Never heard the original, so I can't compare. Not bad, liked the piano. Might check out the original song one day.

Lol I could imagine you hating SOPHIA with a passion. They're really really cheesy and the vocalist is the epitome of love-it-or-hate-it. It's not the most catchy of songs, but I can imagine it holding a lot of sentimentally for the now 30 y/os who grew up with this. And that goes for a ton of this mid-90's stuff.

PFPQPrZO-8o

MERRY/(DIR EN GREY「Schwein??椅????)

MERRY tried their best with the shit starting material <3. Eh. The shoutyscream bit was kinda funny.

So true :lol: If he wasn't banned we would've been arguing about MERRY's cover for about the 4th post or something.

I'm only reviewing those I've heard before.

Heidi's Pink Spider was pretty bland. Nothing special. Original is a million times better. 5/10

Lolita23q - Storm was starting as a promising track, but some parts just aren't working. At all. Good effort though. 7/10

Matenrou Opera - Kurenai was probably the best track here. Crappy engrish, but other than that, really well done. Powerful and great atmosphere. 8½/10

Merry was surprisingly good. The original song ain't that great to begin with, but it sounded pleasant. 7/10

I agree with the Champster. Pretty bland. But better than anything Hide could do.

2. ドレミ團 - 街 (SOPHIA)

Hate.

3. BugLuG - Melty Love (SHAZNA)

A GODLY WORK OF ART.

4. NoGoD - 1/3??純情??感情 (SIAM SHADE)

Boring and uninteresting. :| I liked the Siam Shade tribute with all them 80's guys way better.

5. D - 月下??夜想曲 (MALICE MIZER)

D and Malice Mizer? PFFFT. Skip.

6. 少女-ロリヰタ-23区 - STORM (LUNA SEA)

Skipped too.

7. 摩天楼オペラ - 紅 (X Japan)

Skipped harder.

8. DaizyStripper -With-you

EW.

9. 12012 - Winter, again (GLAY)

... LOLwut.

10. アンド - ロマンス (PENECILLIN)

/confused.

11. Mix Speaker’s, Inc. -S.O.Sロマンティック (CASCADE)

MSI? PFFT. Skipped.

12. LOST ASH -ENDLESS LOVE (D-SHADE)

Lame.

13. Merry - Schwein??椅?? (Dir en grey)

Merry? HA. Skipped.

14. Duel Jewel - Jupiter (BUCK-TICK)

NOTHANKYOUWHYTHEFUCKWOULDTHISEVERHAPPEN?!!?

15. DOG inTheパラレルワールドオーケストラ - 夢より素敵?? (Raphael)

I imagine this is what a stroke feels like. D:

BugLug's Melty Love was the only good thing. ;O;

heidi. - ピンク スパイダー: Eh, kinda boring, I never really liked heidi. anyway. IDK it's as shitty as the original song 5/10

ドレミ團 - 街 : I'm not a big fan of SOPHIA, but I like several doremidan songs. The song is not but as other found on the album, but it's not great. 7/10

BugLug - Melty Love: OMG WHAT IS THIS? Complete shit. I can't believe I even listened to it. 0/10

NoGoD - 1/3??純情??感情: Like several people have said already, it sounds like a typical NoGoD song, which is good that they made the song theirs, but it lacked something, probably crazy riffs. 7/10

D - 月下??夜想曲: I had already heard the radio version of the song, and it sounded really good, despite the horrible radio + youtube audio. Hearing it in a higher quality made me had an eargasm. Covering MALICE MIZER isn't an easy job, but D is one of the few bands that could cover them and not completely butcher it. Asagi tries to imitate Gackt's vocals, which is kinda good. One of the best cover songs from the album. 9.5/10

少女-ロリヰタ-23区 - STORM: I think I like Lolita23q a bit more than Luna Sea, and they also had a difficult job along with D and Matenrou Opera. I find Soshi to be a bit of a better vocalist than Sou their ex-vocalist, and he shows his good vocals in this song. 7.5/10

摩天楼オペラ - 紅: Not a really big fan of X Japan, but Kurenai is an awesome song. I love Sono's engrish at the beginning, instrumental wise it is perfect, and even though Sono's voice may be annoying for some people, I really like his vocals. FUCKING AWESOME 10/10

DaizyStripper - With-you: OMG I don't know what has happened to DaizyStripper lately, but they aren't that impressive anymore, like they were when they released THE BEAUTY. Yuugiri's voice is annoying in this song. OMG HE IS A DUCK AGAIN 4/10

12012 - Winter, again: LOL 12012 is a joke nowadays, and I have lost interest in them, except for that one time where the vocalist almost choked a bitch to death. But it isn't THAT bad of a cover, at least they tried. 6/10

AND - ロマンス: The Gazette's copy-pasta band is alright. I liked several of their releases, and PENICILLIN is also alright. I think the song wasn't bad, better than Buglug's, DaizyStripper etc covers Not bad, not that good though 7.5/10

Mix Speaker's,Inc. - S.O.Sロマンティック: Haha I always loved MSI for being fucking hilarious and random. The last single really disappointed me, but this song is really good, 'cause IDEK what the fuck is happening. I also love CASCADE's original version of it, but MSI did a pretty good job. HATERZ TO DA LEFT. 8/10

LOST ASH - ENDLESS LOVE : Who the fuck are these nobodies? no1curr, the song was kinda awful too. 3/10

MERRY - Schwein??椅?? : LOL I don't even like Dir en gay's version of this song, and this isn't any better or worse. 6/10

DuelJewel - JUPITER: Never cared about them and never will. I never cared about BUCK TICK a lot either. But DuelJewel's vocalist is ok in this song. 6.5/10

DOGinTheパラレルワールドオーケストラ - 夢より素敵??: One of the few oshare kei bands I like. They did a good job on covering Raphael, and Haru is flawless in this song. I approve of this. 8/10

Overall: There's only two songs which I LOVED, Matenrou's Opera Kurenai, and D's Gekka no Yasoukyoku, which were flawless and better than your music taste. I also give props to Lolita23q, Dogintheblahblahblahorchestra, and MSI. But seriously who da fuck are LOST ASH?

hide > rest of Japan. Hands down.

Lawl, my original post is showing only when you click reply and check replies down that small window.

Copypaste:

I'm only reviewing those I've heard before.

Heidi's Pink Spider was pretty bland. Nothing special. Original is a million times better. 5/10

Lolita23q - Storm was starting as a promising track, but some parts just aren't working. At all. Good effort though. 7/10

Matenrou Opera - Kurenai was probably the best track here. Crappy engrish, but other than that, really well done. Powerful and great atmosphere. 8½/10

Merry was surprisingly good. The original song ain't that great to begin with, but it sounded pleasant. 7/10

I agree with the Champster. Pretty bland. But better than anything Hide could do.

Agree 100%, he should never have been allowed to touch a microphone.

Lol, says a guy who likes Asagi.

well, it makes me feel good that he did a lot more than you ever going to do in life.

Stop it. Both of you. Now. If you can't argue without making it personal, leave this thread, exchange MSN adresses and continue there.

Sign in to follow this