Jigsaw9

cali≠gari

Hm, I see a similarity

T0L4r2l.jpg   yYq87tj.jpg

Guess Shuji's a fan of Gene Loves Jezebel :) 

Tbh, I haven't listened too much to either cali≠gari or goatbed… not sure how I was sleeping on them for so long. After enjoying Xa-Vat and seeing Shuji posting his really great musical influences on twitter I decided to check out Shuji's other projects. Still diving in, it will take some time… 

i was going to say welcome to the shuuji fan club but then i remembered i actually joined the goatbed & cali gari fanclubs and it's not a joke anymore for me.................. (& am now currently questioning my life choices)

goatbed's doing 2 twitcast streams today that which might be a good jump in. I find that even if I don't know the songs for goatbed it's fun to listen to & watch and not that expensive + you get

1) shuuji's great(?) dance moves

2) shuuji's stellar(?) MCs

3) u-g looking bored at all times

4) some amazing(?) camera shots thanks to camerman shuuji like WOW that is a GREAT wall to look at thnx bro

if you like xa-vat, there's a kozi/goatbed pre-recorded stream that will be available to watch from tomorrow the 5th (available for purchase until the 5th) too, which i am, uh, curious to see👀

i was pretty big into cali gari like 8(+?) years ago &  idk what happened... i got distracted i guess. But i'm back!! the songs i'm drawn to now are different than what i was into in the past, for sure, though. like those high notes at the end of school zone👌and then the vocals in 三文情死エキストラ are out of this world wtf

what i'm basically saying for any unbridled shuuji enthusiasm i am here 4 it!! 

but uh sads123 is the one to ask for any history or in depth info 

Edited by anakuro

2 hours ago, anakuro said:

What would we younger fans do without you, amazing people 🖤🖤🖤

4 hours ago, anakuro said:

Don't push the buck to me just like that yo; take some responsibility! 😁

I love shuuji's vocals but not really into goatbed's music and attending one goatbed gig (I was there for Lab. The Basement; marry me, Ao!) didn't change my mind. And goatbed's 768723498097509252 FC/live limited releases made me glad as hell 😋

If you are just returning to cali gari, this might be a worthwhile buy:

https://www.mercari.com/jp/items/m42402593425/?_s=U2FsdGVkX182sQjvZeIs_yIiY1QZUCt9nrhycF1m6-DKDZG7g1g1Yx-59gAtMOJZSK76QkWv3MMy1U0dJZ1C26jsyqUdM6Ss9PjZEqChK5ClJ3O9uYFbucxIZ9DK5SLW

And despite your love for Shuuji, you use Ao as your display pic? DOES.NOT.COMPUTE.

deadman just extended their revival so the deadman/ cali gari gig will most likely be postponed again.

20 minutes ago, sads123 said:

Don't push the buck to me just like that yo; take some responsibility! 😁

I love shuuji's vocals but not really into goatbed's music and attending one goatbed gig (I was there for Lab. The Basement; marry me, Ao!) didn't change my mind. And goatbed's 768723498097509252 FC/live limited releases made me glad as hell 😋

If you are just returning to cali gari, this might be a worthwhile buy:

https://www.mercari.com/jp/items/m42402593425/?_s=U2FsdGVkX182sQjvZeIs_yIiY1QZUCt9nrhycF1m6-DKDZG7g1g1Yx-59gAtMOJZSK76QkWv3MMy1U0dJZ1C26jsyqUdM6Ss9PjZEqChK5ClJ3O9uYFbucxIZ9DK5SLW

And despite your love for Shuuji, you use Ao as your display pic? DOES.NOT.COMPUTE.

deadman just extended their revival so the deadman/ cali gari gig will most likely be postponed again.

n0pe i refuse any responsibility!! that's all you u.u
but i mean any streams or anything i'm happy to write any details if i watch them but i dont really know if people really need the tidbits like "ao, which do you prefer guitar or dick?" "WOW THAT'S TOO DIFFICULT. THINK OF MY PUBLIC IMAGE" (aie then asked if he could go home lolll)

I love goatbed, but that's no surprise since for my main musical tastes I lean towards new wave/synthpop/piko piko shit, etc thanks to like 10 years of Tokage giving me recommendations.
...but i'm in no rush to complete the goatbed discography or anything. I'm happy to just nod along when the ishiiz play songs i dont know lmao
from what i can tell shuuji is a lot more energetic during goatbed though and that's fun to watch👀

I recently filled out my cali gari collection & have 99% of that listing if I'm not mistaken & it looks like what i'm missing is mostly already sold. but thanks!

I mean with a picture like that how could I not put bananaman as my icon??
and to be fair, I never said I dont like Grandma Ao!! 😂 Ao cracks me up with all the ridiculous crap that comes out of his mouth. 

& a lot of the ao vocal tracks are A++ Shinjuku Elekiter is my jam

yeah, i expect it to be postponed too but I'm not that invested in it for various reasons including not having a ticket to begin with.
Then again, I won the lottery to go see goatbed the other day even though I didn't have a ticket for the original live in April(??) so who knows

3 minutes ago, anakuro said:

but i mean any streams or anything i'm happy to write any details if i watch them but i dont really know if people really need the tidbits like "ao, which do you prefer guitar or dick?" "WOW THAT'S TOO DIFFICULT. THINK OF MY PUBLIC IMAGE" (aie then asked if he could go home lolll)

Ah, you paid for Ao's 3 birthday stream! I wonder who paid for the 15000yen tier ticket, which doesn't seem to offer anything more than the 1500yen one. I'm not fluent in Japanese enough to warrant buying a ticket so I passed on that 😚Will you be watching CRUSH OF MODE -ENDLESS SUMMER’20-? 

6 minutes ago, anakuro said:

from what i can tell shuuji is a lot more energetic during goatbed though and that's fun to watch👀

Is it? Maybe he knows that his cut from goatbed is bigger than cali gari's so he put in more effort 🤫Nah, I know goatbed's the music he wants to make. I just wish Ao is as productive as Shuuji is in releasing songs, sigh.

13 minutes ago, sads123 said:

Ah, you paid for Ao's 3 birthday stream! I wonder who paid for the 15000yen tier ticket, which doesn't seem to offer anything more than the 1500yen one. I'm not fluent in Japanese enough to warrant buying a ticket so I passed on that 😚Will you be watching CRUSH OF MODE -ENDLESS SUMMER’20-? 

Is it? Maybe he knows that his cut from goatbed is bigger than cali gari's so he put in more effort 🤫Nah, I know goatbed's the music he wants to make. I just wish Ao is as productive as Shuuji is in releasing songs, sigh.

If I had to say my Japanese level it would be "Business Level" considering I work at a Japanese business... + Ao's pretty easy to understand. He enunciates & doesnt have complicated structure but is also quite entertaining so I enjoy listening to him go on about whatever it is he wants to go on about. It wasnt that expensive and I was curious so I set my screen record to record it at the lowest quality setting so that I didnt come back to a 30GB file, went to sleep, and watched in the following days. They covered Tsumetai Ame ("aie said he can play cali gari... I know I was surprised too" - Ao) so it was worth it for that lol

The 15,000 yen ticket was buying a champagne bottle for Ao & friends, was it not? 

HM. I might grab a ticket for the crush of mode one but am undecided on it. Art pop events are always really fun though from past experiences.....

Yeah it's fun watching Shuuji dance around. I mean, at least, I think it's fun. He is extremely spry; I dont know how he doesnt fall over when he's doin all that fancy footwork. & he's has got this deadpan sense of humor so even though he is fumbling through the MCs it's actually quite funny imo. "you guys in the stream cant see it but Osaka is w i l d tonight," "thanks for the standing ovation" while we're all sitting in our chairs, politely smiling at him & u-g

well fingers crossed that ao'll take a break from shinjuku bar hoppin to write a new bop🤞🤞

Edited by anakuro

So cali gari & deadman has decided to proceed with their 2-man live on 28th Jul....

in a reduced capacity where only 25% of the maximum number of audience can attend (social distancing and all) with alot of caveats & rules. Hence, anyone with tickets for this gig who wishes to attend has to ballot for ANOTHER ticket that costs 15000yen (comes with a gift, drinks excluded). Other ticket holders can opt for refunds. 

I don't get why they opted to do this when Japan's daily cases crept back to triple digits. I'm preparing to refund my tickets if a similar program is implemented for the shinjuku holiday gigs in Aug.  

Yeah my friend's pissed & is opting to refund her ticket (right @Duwang?).

I'm curious why they didnt go the 2 section route like GOATBED is doing for all their lives. Maybe because 2 bands they'd have to set aside a lot more time in the day or something🤔

I mean like I get the additional fee considering they're only at 25% capacity but it's not like the rental fee for the the place is reduced or anything.

...but that would probably be too rich for my blood too tbh. I'd probably just have my ticket refunded as well (if I had one). 

Edited by anakuro

59 minutes ago, anakuro said:

Yeah I'm definitely refunding. All my friends who got tickets seem to be doing so as well.
Also it sounds like they're checking personal information with government/healthcare records and shit? (is that even legal?) They probably would've found out I got tested for corona last week so I doubt they would've let me in despite being negative.

I don't think a 2 section route would've worked. It's not just the time factor, it sounds like the live sold pretty well so they probably would've had to add several dates to their tour in order to accommodate everyone with a ticket. 

I understand that they need to pay the venue rental and make a profit with the lowered capacity, and I understand musicians and live houses are suffering immensely during the pandemic, but there isn't a single band I'd pay 20,000+ yen to see. 

1 hour ago, anakuro said:

I'm curious why they didnt go the 2 section route like GOATBED is doing for all their lives. Maybe because 2 bands they'd have to set aside a lot more time in the day or something🤔

2 section would not be ideal cos the gig is on a weekday (Tuesday) so there will be ticket holders will not be able to attend in the afternoon due to work/school. Even if they opt for 2 section route, there can only be 50% of the maximum number of attendees (25% + 25%) and this will piss off 50% instead of 75% of the ticket holders anyway.

7 minutes ago, Duwang said:

I understand that they need to pay the venue rental and make a profit with the lowered capacity, and I understand musicians and live houses are suffering immensely during the pandemic, but there isn't a single band I'd pay 20,000+ yen to see. 

It has to do with mentality as well; I may pay 20000yen in the 2nd hand market for a sold out gig but outright asking me for 20000yen directly rubs me the wrong way. But if that new ticket price includes a back rub from Ao... 😶

Edited by sads123

@Duwang @sads123

I know for GOATBED I was told I'd have to fill in my name/address/phone number when I got there...but then wasn't asked to lol

The government is pushing for that sort of thing but idk I didn't read the details of what cali/deadman are doing since I wasn't going anyway lol

I dont mean extra sections to get everyone in, just a chance to get *more* people in, while it still being a lottery. Two lives on the same day would be able to get double the amount in (50% rather than 25%) and the ticket price wouldnt necessarily have to go up that much. 

If it were me, I'd rather it be a 50% chance than a 25% and I think a lot of people would rather have that higher chance of winning the lottery even if it means the live might be a bit shorter. Plus, even if the ticket price didn't change, there are people who will opt not to go because of COVID-19 or it's simply a day that doesn't work for them, etc. so I think it'd be higher than 50% chance to get in, really...

**GOATBED's live with 2 sections in Nagoya and Osaka were both weekdays I'm not sure it matters that much given that 1) many people are furloughed rn and have free time and 2) plenty of people (me included) don't work the monday~friday but have random days off

Lol I like to say I wouldn't pay 20,000+ for a live but at the same time but at the same time i've easily spent more than that many times just traveling to go see a band so ehhhhhhh idk 

5 minutes ago, anakuro said:

**GOATBED's live with 2 sections in Nagoya and Osaka were both weekdays I'm not sure it matters that much given that 1) many people are furloughed rn and have free time and 2) plenty of people (me included) don't work the monday~friday but have random days off

Ohhh.... I was not aware that the goatbed gigs are on weekdays with 2 sections. I suppose just before concert goers enter the venue, they would be on the phone with their superiors going "I'll be in a teleconference with a major client at home; under no circumstances will you contact me for the next 2 hours & 30mins!!!!" XDDDD

Yesterday Ao tweeted about having a long day ahead so I suspected that they actually recorded the live yesterday & it appears I was right:

Ao's commentary will be tonight in real time.

Featuring: "Sakurai Ao (etc.)"

Wonder who the etc. is or if it's staff again🤔 last time he was talking about how he wondered if he could get like Kenjiro to join him if I recall correctly

Hopefully since it's a recording and not a live stream it won't have so many problems this time...😂

(btw sads i'll respond to the DM about tonight's stream in a bit, I'm not ignoring you!)

edit:

"we'll all be in the same place" (since there's that talk section after the live section) "so i want someone else to participate but well those 2 just do as they please..........."

well here's hoping Ao can get Kejiro and/or Shuuji to participate in the commentary lol

Edited by anakuro

brief updates while waiting for the talk section:

• cali gari's stream's setlist was the same as the 1st live they had after Shuuji 2 joined
  • the commentary was ao, shuuji, and kenjiro. they spent about 4 songs trying to explain to shuuji the chat/commentary/live concept but uhhhh that didnt work so well.
  • Except the last song was a new one about the drink sex on the beach (legit imagine shouting SEX SEX SEX ON THE BEACH that's it that's the song)
  • last time there was issues with audio, this time with video where it looked like a 20 year old VHS tape. honestly, i would have thought it was on purpose if Ao hadn't apologize for it 20 times (It'll be fixed by tomorrow apparently). In Ao's words "this band is CURSED"
  • FC only live has been decided
  • the deadman/cali gari live will be streamed as well

will edit in after the talk section later

Edit 1:

they're still in the talk section but vif already posted the news apparently

• 20th anniversary edition of Blue Film
  • Nagoya, Osaka, Tokyo tour

Edit 2:

• Blue Film -- everything will be rerecorded & sex on the beach will be put on it too. Kenjiro asked "will we put a condom in?" Ao asked "Do we need it?" and  Kenjiro was like "I want it" and Ao's response was basically "got it" so I guess this time will also have a condom

Edited by anakuro

• the deadman/cali gari live will be streamed as well

SELLING MY TICKETS NOOOOOW~~~~~~ But to be honest, I got a feeling the rest of the 2man gigs might be cancelled cos it doesn't make sense for them to broadcast this 1 week before the next 2-man gigs. This news will surely affect fans who are on the fence about whether to pay 20000+ yen for the gig. But at least they can recuperate more money out of this situation via fans all over Japan. 

• Nagoya, Osaka, Tokyo tour

They are REEEEEALLY optimistic huh.

• the commentary was ao, shuuji, and kenjiro. they spent about 4 songs trying to explain to shuuji the chat/commentary/live concept but uhhhh that didnt work so well.

Isn't Shuuji the youngest of the 3??? And embraces the technology the most???

• Except the last song was a new one about the drink sex on the beach (legit imagine shouting SEX SEX SEX ON THE BEACH that's it that's the song)

Its stated as a cover song in the setlist:

https://twitter.com/caligari_offici/status/1280502512638885889/photo/1

I googled for various "sex on the beach" songs; I cannot fathom which is the one they covered cos they are all so.... tropical! 

• 20th anniversary edition of Blue Film

Anticipating the 2020 version of "真空回廊"; I love that song! Just to add: it'll be released on 30th Sep

11 hours ago, anakuro said:

(btw sads i'll respond to the DM about tonight's stream in a bit, I'm not ignoring you!)

why do I sound like a needy partner here.....

Edited by sads123

1 minute ago, sads123 said:

SELLING MY TICKETS NOOOOOW~~~~~~ But to be honest, I got a feeling the rest of the 2man gigs might be cancelled cos it doesn't make sense for them to broadcast this 1 week before the next 2-man gigs. This news will surely affect fans who are on the fence about whether to pay 20000+ yen for the gig. But at least they can recuperate more money out of this situation via fans all over Japan. 

yeah i dont blame people for going ahead and selling their tickets if there's going to be a stream tbh

2 minutes ago, sads123 said:

Isn't Shuuji the youngest of the 3??? And embraces the technology the most???

yes he is the youngest but either

1) is an idiot 
2) lives is in his own world in his head

3) is bad at expressing what he means 

or a bit of all three, who knows.

Ao had to explain reaaaaaaaally slowly but in the end it was "shuuji, just dont worry about it" lmao 

4 minutes ago, sads123 said:

Its stated as a cover song in the setlist:

https://twitter.com/caligari_offici/status/1280502512638885889/photo/1

I googled for various "sex on the beach" songs; I cannot fathom which is the one they covered cos they are all so.... tropical! 

yeah sorry i meant to edit that in in my second edit 

apparently shuuji and kenjiro had no idea it was a cover lol It was apparently popular years ago at clubs?? but i didnt catch what it's a cover of

but........I have definitely found it now:

6 minutes ago, anakuro said:

but........I have definitely found it now:

... "クソバカゴミゲロ" suddenly doesn't sound all that bad now. yeah, I never liked that song, sue me.

I mean, it was wild to realize that that was in fact the sex on the beach song (only confirmed by listening to the lyrics). I enjoyed cali gari's version from what i could hear lolll but I was listening to the three of them commenting at the same time so i definitely didnt absorb the live all that well 

Thanks for all the info, guys (and the random tidbits... I love reading the random tidbits lol). ♥

Can't wait to hear how the reworked 'ero album' will sound! Also, that song is...............wow ok.

edit: also, I really really really hope the deadman x cali-gari stream will be accessible through some platform that's readily available outside of Japan too...for a change. 9 out of 10 other bands can do it so I hope they'll manage too. :')

Edited by Jigsaw9

The band also just released 「淫美まるでカオスな -BRAND NEW 2020- 」on trading cards (?) with a download code at 500 yen a piece on Ao's online store from now till 18th Jul:

http://www.sakurai-shouten.shop/shopdetail/000000000123/

Sneaky move to make fans subconsciously buy other merch on top of a card.... Unless you are fine with paying for shipping & postage for a mere card.

Edited by sads123