Jigsaw9

cali≠gari

5 minutes ago, The Moon said:

Are there any albums that sound similar to 10? I LOVE that album, and want to know more. 

Tough question, but maybe the mini albums "≠" and "2" (this latter one contains rearrangements of some older songs), and the albums "11" and "12" are closest in sound. They are a bit more varied than "10" tho.

15 minutes ago, The Moon said:

Are there any albums that sound similar to 10? I LOVE that album, and want to know more. 

the rerecorded version of 10 :^)

cali≠gari is live streaming a 'no audience' gig on 7th Jun (this Sunday) via eplus's streaming platform.

You need a Japanese credit card and phone number to be able to register to the service, from what I gathered. Do correct me if I'm wrong. 

In other news (?). I finally got the BL manga that Ao collaborated in and created a song (& sang the vocals) for:

Download code for the song still works, 2 years after its initial release!

LOL, thx guys. I wish they did something like putting up the deadman collab song for digital sale instead (which has been endlessly delayed anyway because of the live postponements).

38 minutes ago, Tokage said:

reeeeeee just fucking do it on youtube like everybody elseeeeeeeeee

I'd expect nothing more from this band. They go to great lengths to make their releases inaccessible beyond their fan club, and I just wouldn't expect them to be on board with western dominated platforms. I'm actually kind of surprised they're granting access to anyone with a Japanese credit card and phone number, and not restricting it to FC members.

2 hours ago, Tokage said:

reeeeeee just fucking do it on youtube like everybody elseeeeeeeeee

They need to earn some moolah yo~ If I'm not wrong, youtube does not have a ticketing system and the donation system will not work well for them IMO, if even Dir en grey's recent live streaming concert yields only an OK-ish amount as compared to what a real gig can yield.

BTW, I checked with my agent; the eplus account is linked to a Japanese phone number (to prevent scalping) and you can only pay for the gig via a Japanese credit card.

2 hours ago, Jigsaw9 said:

LOL, thx guys. I wish they did something like putting up the deadman collab song for digital sale instead (which has been endlessly delayed anyway because of the live postponements).

Nah, they won't put that collab song for digital sale; need to make concert goers thirsty & queue for it and then go "since I already queued for so long, might as well add a T-shirt and a pillow with Shuuji's face on it for 8000yen. Oh wait, if I spend 10000yen, I'll get a free sticker???? Add that '14' album that I already have!!!!" 

3 hours ago, sads123 said:

Nah, they won't put that collab song for digital sale; need to make concert goers thirsty & queue for it and then go "since I already queued for so long, might as well add a T-shirt and a pillow with Shuuji's face on it for 8000yen. Oh wait, if I spend 10000yen, I'll get a free sticker???? Add that '14' album that I already have!!!!" 

Of course, how naive of me... :D Ao gotta get that lunch money to start working on his next BL manga collab probably.

Set list of the just ended concert stream:

Great to see "walking, running, flying" and "midnight, midnight", songs not heard since 2013, in the set.

There'll be another live stream on 7th Jul; no details on what's the content though.

... The fact that it's already been so long since those songs came out is really fucking me up right now. Somehow it feels like they came out only a couple of years ago but it's already nearly been a decade? What the good goddamn lol

Setlist looks pretty okay! If I understood correctly, those who paid for the stream will have a chance to re-watch it in some sort of archive form later, tho I highly doubt us plebs will ever get to see it, heh. :D 

Also yeah, agreed @Tokage wtf, time flies fast when 2/3 of your band activity is releasing FC-only stuff huh. :^)

Edited by Jigsaw9

3 hours ago, Jigsaw9 said:

Setlist looks pretty okay! If I understood correctly, those who paid for the stream will have a chance to re-watch it in some sort of archive form later, tho I highly doubt us plebs will ever get to see it, heh. :D 

You are right; those who paid for it can watch it multiple times before it ends on 9th Jun at 10pm (Japan time).

Btw, its held at Ikekuburo Chop, a venue they last played in 2013 which interestingly, was also broadcast-ed live via niconico (for a price!)

http://livesetlist529.blog133.fc2.com/blog-entry-4380.html?sp

The boys did not skim on energy and effort throughout the gig and Ao made good on his word to experiment on ways to make the gig experience unique to one only without an audience can provide:

As can be seen in the screen captures, Ao:

1. During his fan routine in "マッキーナ", crawling on the platform and playfully seducing the audience (at home)

2. During his run-all-over-the-place-interacting-with-audience routine in "Overnight hiking", he instead walked out of the venue and brought a drink for himself, drank some, and passed it to the camera man following him while he returned to the stage.

He messed up the solo during "この雨に撃たれて" though.

At the end of the gig, there were a couple of announcements:

1. Please sign up for our fanclub; we'll be giving a DVD & a CD!

2. FC concert tour coming up (right.... convid would like to have a word....)

3. There'll be another live streaming gig on 7th Jul

4. Important announcement coming up; clues given were "that summer 20 years ago......". Maybe another self cover of an album from 2000?

Edited by sads123

9 hours ago, sads123 said:

Btw, its held at Ikekuburo Chop, a venue they last played in 2013 which interestingly, was also broadcast-ed live via niconico (for a price!)

LMAO of course it's CHOP! :D They've been livestreaming stuff like crazy these past few months (tho mostly for free, with optional donations). I might've even seen the CHOP Twitter account retweet the band's announcement about it but i didn't make the connection in my head.

Thanks for digging up the pics and the info. I'm sort of excited about that mysterious last bit. "That summer 20 years ago" coincides right with the Blue Film mini album (released in July 2000), hmmmmm

edit: Just saw the new bandpic btw:

Also Ao tweeted something about uploading something on Youtube in a few hours (?).

Edited by Jigsaw9

1 hour ago, Jigsaw9 said:

Also Ao tweeted something about uploading something on Youtube in a few hours (?).

Oh its a commentary track from Ao that you can listen to while watching yesterday's gig at the same time. Like a director's commentary track in movie DVDs, if you will.

Edited by sads123

14 minutes ago, sads123 said:

Oh its a commentary track from Ao that you can listen to while watching yesterday's gig at the same time. Like a director's commentary track in movie DVDs, if you will.

ooooooooooh alrighty then.

it's a commentary track that goes with the live footage which can still be viewed until tomorrow at 10pm if you bought the ticket. It's Ao and a staff member commenting on it. There are multiple times where ao pauses the video too so you have to make sure to pause with him if watching/listening...

highlights from the commentary:

• "Kenjiro is so skilled I have NO idea why he is doing cali gari"
  • Ao is Shuuji's biggest fan
  • Ao is cali gari's biggest fan
  • Making fun of Shuuji for constantly reading the lyrics from a prompter "ishii prompter shuuji" is what he ended up being called
  • Making fun of Shuuji for standing completely still the whole time when mannequin came on Ao just went "I've come to see shuuji himself as a mannequin at this point"
  • Ao making fun of himself and his skill level in comparison. Also, how he doesnt remember what he's supposed to do for any of the solos so he's just going JESUS TAKE THE WHEEL basically when he plays them
  • Talking about an effector that makes the guitar sound worse and how much he loves it
  • "Right... right there that's when i stopped playing during overnight hiking. OH I NEED TO GO GRAB MY DR. PEPPER" because of course Ao had one prepared for viewing tonight

Idk it was fun and interesting to hear Ao's thoughts while watching it. There are a lot of stupid tidbits but not sure how interesting they are to anyone. 

Unfortunately e+ you have to have a Japanese phone number and credit card (or go pay at the convenience store) so I rolled my eyes every time they mentioned "people from all over the world can see this!" Hopefully the next stream wont be e+ but who knows.

I got my copy of 暗い日曜日 the other day so I assume they still have copies for people who join the fanclub now if they're still advertising it. 

the big announcement is a maybe. they've had many meetings about whatever it is but there's a good chance they wont be able to announce anything. so i guess what i'm saying is dont get your hopes up

Thank you for the summary, @anakuro, I love reading stuff like this (especially since I don't understand like 98% of Japanese myself). :D 

Somehow I'm not surprised at the Kenjirou and the "Ao freeform guitar solo" remarks, haha.

41 minutes ago, anakuro said:

every time they mentioned "people from all over the world can see this!"

Maybe they were being sarcastic bitches about it

(or they are unaware of e+'s restrictions)

No problem! There were a lot of fun things from the initial stream & Ao's stream. The live itself was out of synch with audio & visual when it initially went live so the whole time everyone was talking about watching with their eyes half closed (it was pretty hilarious). Today Ao was like "quit that talk! it's fixed!!" 

The live didn't start on time because Shuuji was doing last minute makeup.

Ao got annoyed by how long it took for the camera to get downstairs, which was why he was standing on the platform out on the floor in front of the stage apparently.

Ao was correcting people's japanese.

The setlist was decided by Ao & some of the songs were so old no one could play them during the rehearsal and kenjiro & shuuji suggested cutting them (but they didn't). Funnily enough it was one of the newer songs that Shuuji forgot some lyrics to (even with his prompter) lol

the world wide comments were definitely made in earnest. They had no idea about e+'s system & to be honest most japanese people probably don't even realize it either. It's a shame, especially since it was a really good live.

Yeah he brought up he loves it and it's sold at the 100yen lawson by his house so he's buying it all the time these days. they didn't have it the day of the live but he'd noticed it at the vending machine when they went in to chop, put 200 yen in his costume & during overnight hiking went to buy it rather than play air guitar the whole time lol

He kept going on about how shuuji & kenjiro just kept going without him, did they even need him, & did they even notice he was gone?, well shuuji probably didn't because he was stuck in the same position the whole live, with his prompter... lol

Anyway hi all, I've liked cali gari for years, haven't kept up at all in the past few years, but with corona I have had a lot of time to myself so I guess I decided to dive right back in and be shuuji's personal atm by joining the FC after years of humming and hawing over whether I should or not. I've only seen cali gari once & it was the live that the FC dvd that's coming out soon was from lol

Edited by anakuro

30 minutes ago, anakuro said:

Anyway hi all, I've liked cali gari for years, haven't kept up at all in the past few years, but with corona I have had a lot of time to myself so I guess I decided to dive right back in and be shuuji's personal atm by joining the FC after years of humming and hawing over whether I should or not.

Good comeback I say! :D Did you miss out on listening to any releases? There's been some good shit these past few years.

I've missed out on a lot of releases but I've grabbed 13, 14, the new ame cd, and that one about hernias and am making my way through them👀

I would like to see a cali gari x dr pepper collab not gonna lie