cali≠gari

1 hour ago, sads123 said:

No mention of '憧憬、睡蓮と向日葵'? FELONY!!!

Fixed

17 minutes ago, Jigsaw9 said:

憧憬、睡蓮と向日葵 [...] was lacking the weird crazy shit for my taste

Yeah, it didn't have much weirdness, but the songs were still enjoyable IMO

8 hours ago, Jigsaw9 said:

there's not much room for more out-there stuff when your album theme is 'summer' :D 

two words: HEAT STROKE

i think i only listened to that particular mini exactly 1 (one) time and i honestly can't remember that much about it...

I'm not going to lie I totally forgot that mini even existed. It was around the time when I lost all interest in what these guys were doing until 13 brought me back. Songs like Iroaku are on par with anything else I like from them. 

I think 14 is at its best when it reminds a little of 8. First and last tracks are great, like probably the best vk around rn, while there's def a hard slump in the middle. It doesn't subtract from their legacy, but doesn't add much to it either. Still, I consider them a veteran institution that can do pretty much whatever it wants and if I like it, great, and if I don't that's alright too. 

My fav is 5 or 6 depending on the day altho the two disc album with second shuuji re-recordings would be number 1 should that count. 

I'm a little ashamed to admit that much like BUCK-TICK, cali≠gari has always been one of those bands that I download every new release of and then it's just sitting on my hard drive like a useless piece of furniture that I don't know what to do with but also don't want to throw away because it might be good for something someday.

In the case of cali≠gari, that day has finally come. With the release of their new album I finally sampled some songs from their past couple of albums and something just clicked (initially while listening to a live version of シャ.ナ.ナ which has been stuck in my head ever since). I'll still have to work my way further through their catalogue but I feel like I finally "get them", I guess.

Having said that, I didn't get much enjoyment out of 14, except for maybe three songs: 天国で待ってる for its upbeat quirkiness and fun bassline, いつか花は咲くだろう for its mellow, airy vibe and most notably 死は眠りを散歩する for its groove and suspenseful structure and flow.

Edited by VESSMIER

10 minutes ago, VESSMIER said:

something just clicked (initially while listening to a live version of シャ.ナ.ナ which has been stuck in my head ever since).

Good start! :D Welcome to the 'gari family~ 8D

Yeah, I agree that 14 isn't too hot, at least compared to some of their other recent stuff.

シャ.ナ.ナ is from the "10" album so if you enjoy that type of sound you can't go wrong with that album! You can find a bit of a similar vibe on the album "8" and the mini album "≠" (released after "10"), too.

Edited by Jigsaw9

One of the first songs that got stuck in my head years ago was actually リンチ from 第3実験室, really dig that sucker. But their discography is so extensive that it's good to have some direction, so thanks a lot for the recommendations! I've already enjoyed 10 quite a bit actually, so I guess I'll continue with the other albums you mentioned 😁

20 minutes ago, VESSMIER said:

リンチ from 第3実験室

I love that song so damn much. ♥ The 2nd press/remastered version of that release, 第3実験室 改訂版, is actually the only "Shuuji 1" release that I own physically (mostly cuz all the other old stuff is expensive as hell for my wallet on auctions lmao), all three songs are excellent and show very diverse sides of the band.

They mixed up the order of the songs greatly for this live (and the return of '色悪'!!!); despite the number of their lives I have attended thus far, I have yet to hear "グッド・バイ" live :(

cali≠gari 2019.01.26 HEAVEN'S ROCKさいたま新都心VJ-3
cali≠gari 25th Caliversary”1993-2019″ TOUR 14 -The time is out of joint-
SET LIST(セットリスト)

01.死は眠りを散歩する
02.火葬遊戯
03.ゼロサムゲーム
04.せんちめんたる
05.飛燕騒曲
06.-187-
07.キル
08.-踏-
09.オーバーナイト ハイキング
10.色悪
11.カメラオブスキュラ
12.天国で待ってる
13.拝啓=BGM
14.動くな!死ね!甦れ!
15.ファニソン
16.淫美まるでカオスな
17.マッキーナ
18.マシンガンララバイ
19.いつか花は咲くだろう

EN
01.グッド・バイ
02.ラストダンス
03.クソバカゴミゲロ

Here's a short live clip of "Machinegun Lullaby" that they recently put up on the Misshitsu Neurose YT account:

Also, samples of the "0" remake mini album!!

awwwww I really hope they'll do a regular release for this sometime in the future, it just sounds too good!! ;w;

Edited by Jigsaw9

On 2/10/2019 at 11:48 PM, Jigsaw9 said:

Here's a short live clip of "Machinegun Lullaby" that they recently put up on the Misshitsu Neurose YT account:

Also, samples of the "0" remake mini album!!

awwwww I really hope they'll do a regular release for this sometime in the future, it just sounds too good!! ;w;

They uploaded another live clip from another concert on twitter here:

And nah, based on previous live limited releases, they won't do a regular release for '0'.  

^ Yeah, that's what I thought... too bad. ;(((

Live clip looks like fun! I like it when Ao has the headset mic thingie, makes for a more dynamic performance.

On 1/15/2019 at 10:27 AM, Jigsaw9 said:

@CELESTIAL CIEL What is this story about the webshop? I'm curious. :o

To cut a long story short, I was really noisy gaijin, and one day I came to moan on their fb page (btw fb's owner is his little bro, twitter is shuuji's territory), 'wtf you're selling your stuff on liveshows, but there're people who want to get your merch' or something. The first reply was 'pm me if you want something', BUT few months later i was on my way home from university when Shuuj updated his twitter with 'we're late but here's the link, it's our webshop, it's still under construction but feel free to contact us'. I was like WTFFFFFFFFFFFffffffffff???? But there were a lot of problem with purchases, and I had to come to complain about it, and got really full and useful guide how to get online japanese credit card, and few days latter shuuj updated his twitter and asked everyone to use this method :'D
I think they hate gaijins, but when I think about this story I feel myself a little happier :'3

I try to recall more eeh cute(??) and strange moments, and feel myself like a heroine of a 80s shoujo manga about cute and hardcore bangya, but I'm not sure I want to go at their liveshows... their japanese fandom is pretty cold, but I may be wrong. But I think I want to come back, I really miss that weird stuff...

No concrete dates yet but Ao has stated that he will be releasing his solo works (didn't state its an album or single) and tour in 2020; details to be released soon.

^ Interesting! I'm curious to see what solo activities we can expect from him (and hopefully some solo releases).

Speaking of releases, the M-card bonus contents for the last cali-gari mini album should be announced soon, looking forward to what they will be... for now the download site that can be accessed with the card's code is empty / states that content is coming soon (they wrote on Twitter at new year's that the bonus stuff would be uploaded mid-January).

6 hours ago, Jigsaw9 said:

Speaking of releases, the M-card bonus contents for the last cali-gari mini album should be announced soon, looking forward to what they will be... for now the download site that can be accessed with the card's code is empty / states that content is coming soon (they wrote on Twitter at new year's that the bonus stuff would be uploaded mid-January).

Its going to be live songs from the recently concluded 「三角と工業」 tour, as stated here:

https://www.kyakusitsu.com/content1/?no=Nu6XcN67scV8SPsyC43SswS

Unless they changed their minds AGAIN.

14 hours ago, sads123 said:

Its going to be live songs from the recently concluded 「三角と工業」 tour

Oh nice, thanks for the info!

Wasn't said on this thread the fanbase wasn't very welcoming?  Not that it matters now, their gigs with Deadman are both sold out lol

4 hours ago, madygrain said:

Wasn't said on this thread the fanbase wasn't very welcoming?  Not that it matters now, their gigs with Deadman are both sold out lol

Nah, the fans, as with any other fandom, generally mind their own business during concerts. During one of their gigs where they threw fake money (with the member's  faces on the fake notes) into the audience, the fans at the front passed the notes to the fans behind them, stating those who didn't get it (cos Ao can only throw so far XD) take what they want and pass it further backwards. I was at the tail end and I still managed to get more than 10 notes! And during  a recent concert where I was at the 2nd row (I got a ticket with a low number so might as well), it was squeezy (chest to back) but never violent. Just note that once the lights dim, those in front will surge forward; I once experienced standing on the 10th row waiting for the gig to start and once the BGM spikes up in volume, I found myself at the 4th row 🤣 

The 14th Mar & 4th Apr gig's tickets will be sold to the public on a 1st come 1st serve basis on 25th Jan; there's still a chance.

I got my 18th mar & 19th mar tickets already 😁