Jigsaw9

cali≠gari

cali≠gari

Sm5NaSF.jpg

cali≠gari began activities in 1993 helmed by guitarist Sakurai Ao, bringing a mixture of post-punk, art rock and new wave into visual kei. Named after the 1920 German expressionist horror movie "Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari", they are considered as one of the early 'eroguro' bands. They started releasing music in 1994 and after various lineup changes (most notably replacing their vocalist Shuuji for another vocalist named Shuuji) their major label debut finally came in 2002... only for them to go on hiatus a year later.

The band restarted activities in 2009 and started playing gigs and releasing new music again. In the past few years they had short pauses, but are more or less active. After coming back from hiatus they released a string of albums through major labels while also maintining their own indies label Misshitsu Neurose (headed by Ao) for special interim releases. As of the release of their album "14" they have unexpectedly gone back to being an indies band.

The cali≠gari guys have various side-projects and other bands, too, running simultaneously. Most recently Shuuji has GOATBED, Ao plays in ヘクトウ (Hector) and sporadically performs with LAB. THE BASEMENT (f.k.a. lab.), and Kenjirou has had an on-again off-again solo career. Shuuji, Ao, Kenjirou and Makoto also used to have a visual kei parody alterego band called La' royque de zavy.

Current members:

- 石井秀仁 (Ishii Shuuji): vocals, guitar, programming

- 桜井青 (Sakurai Ao): guitar, vocals

- 村井研次郎 (Murai Kenjirou): bass

Notable former members:

- 秀児 (Shuuji): vocals 1996-2000

- 武井誠 (Takei Makoto): drums  1999-2014

I know there are other Garists here, so I thought I'd make an artist thread finally to discuss random stuff. :D For one, I was completely surprised that the band went back to being indies full-time. Apparently this sudden change was the reason for the delays with the production of the latest album (there are more details in this interview). Well, it shouldn't make that much of a difference I guess since they already released almost everything through Misshitsu Neurose except for the albums and DVDs, but still...

Anyway, how are you guys liking the new album? I'm hooked on it, although I feel it isn't as great as "13" was. There is some really cool stuff going on in tracks 1-6, but then the excitement kinda dips for me. The last 2 tracks are okay again. Especially the last one is interesting imo, I don't think I've heard this type of song from cali≠gari before (the atmosphere almost reminds me a bit of BUCK-TICK). Also, random trivia: apparently the short song "飛燕騒曲" is only comprised of various samples and ambient noises, only the bass guitar is played 'live' (even the guitar parts are sampled from another song on the album). Thought that was fun.

tbh i missed on quite a few cali gari releases, including 13 (guess i have to catch up now), as i didn't listen to vkei much for past few years. notable part of my excitement about 14 is coming from joy of reunion with the band i used to love 〜 so my opinion is relatively biased.

i liked 3-6 and the last 3 tracks, and i rarely like more then 4-5 tracks from a full-length album. 死は眠りを散歩する is interesting indeed. i love that while sticking to their unique sound one can never mistake for anything else they keep experimenting. and i was so surprised when heard 拝啓=BGM’s first seconds, that song surely gives off some future funk/vaporwave vibes. so yeah great album and i’m happy they keep working successfully after Makoto departed (although it’s a shame).

i haven't had a chance to listen to 14 yet, but i just wanna go ahead and say that regardless of anything, these guys are in my top 5 favorite japanese bands of all time, probably even in my top 5 favorite bands of all time in general. One of the most creative and varied bands in the VK scene for sure.

Is anything known about bands/artists that have been very influential for the members? I'd be somewhat curious to know

Edited by Tokage

I remember them being well liked when I was first getting into the scene way back in like 2002ish. I had my favourites then so I didn't pay too much attention, but I do remember finding them pretty unique and experimental. I also remember goatbed being a pretty interesting band, too.

Now that I'm older I think I appreciate them a lot more now. 14 is a solid effort.

Edited by Paraph

9 minutes ago, Tokage said:

Is anything known about bands/artists that have been very influential for the members? I'd be somewhat curious to know

I'm going by the Japanese wiki via Google Translator, so don't take this word for word, buuut...

Ao's favorite artists apparently, based on some interviews: Inoue Yousui, Morita Douji, Asakawa Maki, Yamasaki Hako, Horie Jun, Murashita Kouzou (most of these are old singer-songwriters), Southern All Stars, Bauhaus, The Cure ("Boys Don't Cry" specifically), author Yokomizo Seishi (especially his "Kindaichi Kousuke" detective novel series), author/director Terayama Shuuji, author Edogawa Ranpo.

I vaguely remember an interview online a few years back, either at the time of the release of "12" or "13" where some specific inspirational albums were listed. I'll try to find those too~

39 minutes ago, Jigsaw9 said:

I vaguely remember an interview online a few years back, either at the time of the release of "12" or "13" where some specific inspirational albums were listed. I'll try to find those too~

Couldn't find this, so I might have just imagined it, lol. Aaaanyway, I did write up a few artist names that were mentioned as inspirational to certain songs in interviews.

In one interview concerning the "13" album they mentioned: Foetus, Einstürzende Neubauten, SPK, ZIGGY, BOØWY, Bauhaus, Christian Death, Asakawa Maki, GASTUNK... and generally '80s J-pop and jazz.

In a recent interview on "14", they name-dropped: The Cure, TM NETWORK, SOFT BALLET, The Chemical Brothers, New Order/Peter Hook, The Damned.

And ofc we know Shuuji and Ao are big Prince fans, seeing how they were """inspired""" by him in some tracks... :D 

Edited by Jigsaw9

I haven't listened to 14 yet, and I haven't listened to much of their newer stuff, but I totally love their old stuff. Especially Dai 7 Jikkenshitsu. That's my favourite album of all time from them

3 hours ago, Jigsaw9 said:

And ofc we know Shuuji and Ao are big Prince fans, seeing how they were """inspired""" by him in some tracks... :D 

??? 

i havent listened to prince enough to know anything about this, what happened? 

24 minutes ago, Tokage said:

??? 

i havent listened to prince enough to know anything about this, what happened? 

For Shuuji's 'inspiration', check out XA-VAT's "VAT-DANCE" vs Prince's "Batdance."

... and for a bit more blatant one by Ao, check this and you'll prolly know the 'gari song (from "12"):

Spoiler

Edited by Jigsaw9

^ Well okay, I didn't include Shin cuz he was like a member for 1.5 years or so. :D But yeah, worth mentioning that he sings on the band's first two demo tapes released in early 1994.

One of my favorite songs from this period:

Spoiler

Edited by Jigsaw9

5 hours ago, CELESTIAL CIEL said:

Shuji the 2nd's music taste is beyound godlike! It was my main inspiration for a long time.

Just happened to find a pic of some of Shuuji's stash while recording the latest album. :) Some interesting stuff in there~

1 hour ago, Jigsaw9 said:

Just happened to find a pic of some of Shuuji's stash while recording the latest album. :) Some interesting stuff in there~

I remember how FCKIN HUGE his personal music library is, CDs, tapes, vinyl, everything you can imagine, all around his own room he uses as his place to create, what a collector... But when he was asked by someone about his first CD or the very first liveshow, he was like "idk lol I don't care" or something (but it sounded like he's really proud of himself xD aah... I miss being hardcore caligari fangirl) 

I have a very strange cool story about how he decided to create goatbed online shop one day... But I don't really want to talk about it bc I'm too shy and when I think about it I want to die even more than usual, lol. 

Thanks for creating this thread. I'm an avid fan of cali gari and have been attending their concerts every year since they came back in 2010 but I couldn't really get into '14' as well. The songs were ok-ish in general but there were no striking songs like '色悪' (13) or fist punching songs like '紅麗死異愛羅武勇' (12). I already bought the ticket for the '14' tour final but still considering whether to make the trip or not (cos I got no lives to attend on 21st Mar haha)

Here's the setlist from yesterday (curiously missing '月白' from 14):

cali≠gari 2019.01.14 本八幡Route Fourteen
cali≠gari 25th Caliversary”1993-2019″ TOUR 14 -The time is out of joint-
SET LIST(セットリスト)

01.カメラオブスキュラ
02.ゼロサムゲーム
03.マシンガンララバイ
04.キル
05.トイレでGO!
06.トカゲのロミオ
07.オーバーナイトハイキング
08.動くな!死ね!甦れ!
09.コバルト
10.拝啓=BGM
11.天国で待ってる
12.ファニソン
13.淫美まるでカオスな
14.マッキーナ
15.飛燕騒曲
16.-187-
17.火葬遊戯
18.死は眠りを散歩する

EN
01.冬の日
02.ラストダンス
03.ブルーフィルム
04.いつか花は咲くだろう

@CELESTIAL CIEL What is this story about the webshop? I'm curious. :o

@sads123 That's so cool that you got to go see them live so many times!! That setlist looks mighty fine too. Also it's pretty cool how they seem to incorporate extra musicians these days into their gigs, as opposed to having tons of playback stuff (tho I imagine they still have that too).

I like 14 much more than 13. It was a bit hard for me to get into 13 but got into 14 instantly. Felt much more like the cali≠gari I like. Liked 12 more as well.

I remember seeing some concert footage from around the time they'd recently returned from their hiatus and it felt like half of the music was done with backing tracks, nowadays they occasionally seem to drag in actual saxophone players and that kinda stuff right?

Also... RANK THOSE ALBUMS MOTHERFUCKAS!

I think my personal top 5 is probably something like Dai 6 -> Dai 7 -> Dai 5 -> =/=  -> Saikyouiku Migi/Hidari

I'd say 1 (the mini w/ the remakes of the noise rock songs) is probably at the very bottom for me, that one was totally unnecessary and didn't really add anything at all to any of those songs as far as I'm concerned. 

Hmmmm, looking only at full-length albums, it would be something like this for me:

Pre-hiatus: Dai 6 > Dai 5 > Dai 7 > 8

Post-hiatus: 12 > 13 > 10 > 11 > 14

(it's so hard to treat these two eras as equal, cuz I'm reaaally partial to their stuff before the hiatus because of all the nostalgia... :D But if I was forced to do an overall top 5, it would kinda be:  Dai 6 > Dai 5 > 12 > 13 > Dai 7)

If I was counting the two Saikyouiku collections too, then those would be right up there after Dai 6 or 5 tho. Out of the mini albums, I think Dai 4 is my favorite... and I agree, the "1" remake mini was kinda unnecessary as a whole, but it actually has a really cool/crazy version of "Guillotine" imo!

Edited by Jigsaw9

I couldn't figure out for the life of me how to insert photos into my post so I uploaded them here:

https://imgur.com/a/Vqr1ttk

Photos of my cali gari (rare) CD/DVD collection and ticket stubs (Couldn't find my 2011 taiwan live ticket stub T-T). Can anyone who is more savvy edit my post to insert the photos?

Thanks!

On a side note, it's almost nil impossible for overseas fans to have all their CDs released since they came back cos there are so many Fanclub CDs, live-limited CDs, 'if you hit 10000 yen buying our merch at concert, we'll give you this CD' CD, 'limited to certain livehouses' CD, 'preorder from my website and you'll get this CD' CD, etc.

The rarest one IMO is 村井研次郎's solo version of 初恋中毒; only saw it once in mercari. It exists!

Edited by sads123

Ranking so far (still haven't listened to 14):

Pre-hiatus: 8 = 7 > 再教育 > 6 = Bluefilm ≥ 5 > 4

Post-hiatus: 11 > 13 ≥ 12 = 憧憬、睡蓮と向日葵 > ≠ > 10

Those TURN mini albums: 4 = 3 > 2 >>> 1

7 would rank lower than 8 if it didn't include my favourite song of theirs, ハイカラ・殺伐・ハイソ・絶賛

TURN-1 is garbage! サイレン without screaming is a felony!!

5 hours ago, Seimeisen said:

Ranking so far (still haven't listened to 14):

Pre-hiatus: 8 = 7 > 再教育 > 6 ≥ 5 > 4

Post-hiatus: 11 ≥ 12 = 13 > ≠ = 10

Those TURN mini albums: 4 = 3 > 2 >>> 1

7 would rank lower than 8 if it didn't include my favourite song of theirs, ハイカラ・殺伐・ハイソ・絶賛

TURN-1 is garbage! サイレン without screaming is a felony!

No mention of '憧憬、睡蓮と向日葵'? FELONY!!!

Though admittedly, only 3 of the songs were really good; ギラギラ (what a way to start a concert), アレガ☆パラダイス (OMG I LOVE THIS SONG TO BITS but 紅麗死異愛羅武勇 is always chosen over it in concerts for that fast song combo before ending the concert but before the encore) and 憧憬、睡蓮と向日葵 (such a great ballad, but never played again after the tour named after it).

Yeah, ギラギラ is pretty fun! Otherwise I think  憧憬、睡蓮と向日葵 might be my least favorite c-g mini album next to 'turn-1'. :-(  It was lacking the weird crazy shit for my taste (tho I can understand that there's not much room for more out-there stuff when your album theme is 'summer' :D ).