Kiryu999

キズ (Kizu) new single "平成" release

2 minutes ago, chipathy said:

Lowkey feel like heisei  and stalker would be some of their sickest tracks ever with the production they had on prior singles 

Highkey feel it. I can't wait to hear what these two sound live.

Well.. I can see they tried some new "experimentation" in the production but it's odd, not really liiking it. The songs sound not as powerful as they should be, too bad cuz with their regular sound production this single would be banger

6th SINGLE "Heisei"
Released in Japan's first "spatial audio mixing" recording
And the coupling "Tokyo" lyric video release 

I still do not understand how spatial audio mixing is 

The production is...interesting. It definitely takes away from giving power to the tracks. After a few listens I kinda got used to it but I still feel like something is missing. Heisei and Stalkers are complete bangers tho 👌 

Edited by raspberrynilla

maybe i am searching in wrong places, but i can find absolutely nothing about what the japanese think of the productiond, do they even care i wonder

i get the point that it's supposed to sound like live, but it's at least unusual

as for myself, i've decided not to listen to the new songle until my copy arrives, just gave a couple of listens to 東京 and it's a solid ballad imo. about the production, my headphones suck so i can't get full experience, but i love how raimu's voice sounds, guitars are lacking tho.

45 minutes ago, yomii said:

maybe i am searching in wrong places, but i can find absolutely nothing about what the japanese think of the productiond, do they even care i wonder

i get the point that it's supposed to sound like live, but it's at least unusual

I keep hearing from foreign gya in Japan that most VK fans in Japan don't give a shit about the music and sometimes don't even listen to their bands outside the livehouse. So it doesn't surprise me they wouldn't give a shit about the mixing at all, many will probably grab copies for instores, give it a few listens to practise furi and go back to whatever they actually do listen. That is, if what I've heard about the average gya is correct.

16 minutes ago, Komorebi said:

I keep hearing from foreign gya in Japan that most VK fans in Japan don't give a shit about the music and sometimes don't even listen to their bands outside the livehouse. So it doesn't surprise me they wouldn't give a shit about the mixing at all, many will probably grab copies for instores, give it a few listens to practise furi and go back to whatever they actually do listen. That is, if what I've heard about the average gya is correct.

well there are a few comments concerning the music on youtube but foreigners discuss technical part a lot more thoroughly as far as i can see. 

if what you heard is true, vk scene and its audience is even more despicable than i thought lmao. i wont be surprised if such gyas exist, but if it's a portrait of an average gya then...well

58 minutes ago, yomii said:

well there are a few comments concerning the music on youtube but foreigners discuss technical part a lot more thoroughly as far as i can see. 

if what you heard is true, vk scene and its audience is even more despicable than i thought lmao. i wont be surprised if such gyas exist, but if it's a portrait of an average gya then...well

I wouldn't say "despicable"... Considering VK is marketed in Japan, the type of audience, the importance seemingly irrelevant stuff like Furitsuke plays in VK culture, the whole hierarchy systems implemented among fans, it doesn't surprise me much.
VK bands are marketed as somewhat exotic boy-bands and aimed towards teen girls (remember Kizu's first teaser messages). When was the last time you saw teen girls in the west go into deep analysis over Justin Bieber, One Direction or whatever boy-band's musical prowess? Nah, they care about the lyrics being relatable and the music "dance-able". It is us foreigners who care deeply about the music. And I am sure plenty of Japanese fans too, but probably they won't discuss it where it won't really matter, since social media seems to focus on more shallow discussions.

I can't say these are facts, my experience in Japan is limited and I do not live there, though I know many people who do and I've heard from many that most gyas don't care about the music. I've even encountered foreign gya who didn't seem to care about the music either so it wouldn't be exclusive to Japanese fans.

Edited by Komorebi

I could be speaking out of my ass, but I really don’t know that Justin Bieber or One Direction is really a fitting comparison. I think the jist of what you’re going for is right, but I’d say it’s less because they don’t care about the lyrics at all and more because they can literally just go out to the lives pretty much whenever or go sing at karaoke. Yes, it’s about pretty faces, but a lot of the music really taps into teenage angst, too, and that is very deliberate. Very pretty, unorthodox men that are singing and saying the things that I’m not supposed to say about myself - at least that’s my experience with gya in a nutshell. One size doesn’t fit all, of course, but...

Maybe they did a 5.1 mix ? That would explain why the mix is the bad. Because 95% of people don't have a 5.1 system. They should do at least 2 version, a normal stereo for most people and 5.1 for others

52 minutes ago, frayed said:

I could be speaking out of my ass, but I really don’t know that Justin Bieber or One Direction is really a fitting comparison. I think the jist of what you’re going for is right, but I’d say it’s less because they don’t care about the lyrics at all and more because they can literally just go out to the lives pretty much whenever or go sing at karaoke. Yes, it’s about pretty faces, but a lot of the music really taps into teenage angst, too, and that is very deliberate. Very pretty, unorthodox men that are singing and saying the things that I’m not supposed to say about myself - at least that’s my experience with gya in a nutshell. One size doesn’t fit all, of course, but...

I'm speaking out of my ass XD
But my comparison to western pop idols was not really about the music, more about the similar "experience"" they are selling.

For us in the west it is about music, but for fans in Japan it becomes about the "experience" and music is just an aspect of it, I've read people say "yeah, this dude is a lousy singer but I like his stage presence and his energy during lives so I stan". Kizu did tap into that angst from the beginning and I am sure that is the reason they became so big so fast in Japan.
I meant the opposite about the lyrics lol since they are teens, they seek lyrics they can actually relate to so the songwriting (and production and mixing) becomes secondary. As an example, I heard recently that Yuuki from Initial'L had to "dumb down" his lyrics in latest releases because he got lots of complaints from fans about them, allegedly.

1 hour ago, Komorebi said:

I wouldn't say "despicable"... Considering VK is marketed in Japan, the type of audience, the importance seemingly irrelevant stuff like Furitsuke plays in VK culture, the whole hierarchy systems implemented among fans, it doesn't surprise me much.
VK bands are marketed as somewhat exotic boy-bands and aimed towards teen girls (remember Kizu's first teaser messages). When was the last time you saw teen girls in the west go into deep analysis over Justin Bieber, One Direction or whatever boy-band's musical prowess? Nah, they care about the lyrics being relatable and the music "dance-able". It is us foreigners who care deeply about the music. And I am sure plenty of Japanese fans too, but probably they won't discuss it where it won't really matter, since social media seems to focus on more shallow discussions.

I can't say these are facts, my experience in Japan is limited and I do not live there, though I know many people who do and I've heard from many that most gyas don't care about the music. I've even encountered foreign gya who didn't seem to care about the music either so it wouldn't be exclusive to Japanese fans.

i see your point, and i kinda understand what vk scene is about, the particular thing that is bothering me is, like you said, giving a few listens to songs so that you can go to live and see cute boys and then go back to whatever you listen. like, what?  about analysing, i have nothing against justin bieber and other idols, and i don't think that unless you don't analyse the music you listen to you're a poser, i just thought that if you've ever listened to kizu before you couldn't help but notice that the sound is different somehow so it would be only natural to think like "huh? something strange is going on here"

btw i think furitsuke is cute and fun .w.

1 hour ago, Kirito said:

Maybe they did a 5.1 mix ? That would explain why the mix is the bad. Because 95% of people don't have a 5.1 system. They should do at least 2 version, a normal stereo for most people and 5.1 for others

dunno what 5.1 mix is, but unless all people in japan have 5.1 system it would be very stupid to release something that 99% of your listeners won't hear as a regular edition. if it's a rare thing in japan too, it'd be smarter to put 5.1 version as a bonus in a limited edition, or release type c, or something.

3 minutes ago, yomii said:

i just thought that if you've ever listened to kizu before you couldn't help but notice that the sound is different somehow so it would be only natural to think like "huh? something strange is going on here"

I actually asked a girl who is REALLY into Kizu's music what she thought about the mixing and she completely ignored my question and went on to talk about other things. I am 99% sure if I ask the other Kizu fan in my country he'll say he didn't notice. In fact, everytime I bring out production or mixing up outside of this forum I'm ignored and most people outside of this community seem to rely a lot on low quality rips or youtube/Spotify for they daily music experience and many cannot tell the difference between a 128 and a 320 rip. They probably just want to enjoy the song and don't care much about the whole listening experience or are just ignorant/have lousy equipment and don't even know know what they are missing out.

3 hours ago, yomii said:

dunno what 5.1 mix is, but unless all people in japan have 5.1 system it would be very stupid to release something that 99% of your listeners won't hear as a regular edition. if it's a rare thing in japan too, it'd be smarter to put 5.1 version as a bonus in a limited edition, or release type c, or something.

Your basic earphones are going to be a left and right speaker, or "stereo" I believe: 2.0
5.1 is centre, front left and right, back left and right and then bass, as far as I'm aware. Think surround sound and something cinematic, or your average pair of gaming headsets these days.

Edited by NICKT

55 minutes ago, NICKT said:

Think surround sound and something cinematic, or your average pair of gaming headsets these days.

Ye I have a pair of sennheiser x massdrop, and my cars stereo is also pretty decent and u can hear what they were going with, with sounds coming from every direction. Still think some of the instruments quality was sacrificed for this but whatevs still a fantastic release again

I actually tried listening to the single with my Dolby Atmos sound bar with surround system and it sounds much better. You can actually hear the sound traveling from one point to another. However, the guitars still suffer a lot, and I had to play with the bass as to not become too overpowering.