YuyoDrift

2019 Japanese Music Ratings

This topic is starting to feel like a MH tradition now I think haha. But anyways....

This thread is dedicated to Japanese releases in 2019 that the MH Community will listen to and would like to keep track of throughout the entire year. It’s a nice way of referring back to a list, should you forget if you’ve listened to a certain release yet or not. I know I forget sometimes haha. These ratings can also help those who may want to see which releases are favoring well or not, based on each individual user who you may have similar tastes with.

Feel free to set up your own rating system (Stars, ?/5, ?/10, Best to Worst, Oooh to Eww, etc.), but try and use spoiler tags to save room in your post, and save room on the page for the other members’ rating lists.

Keep this list in mind in the event that we, the MH staff, host a JRock Awards at the end of the year :) .

Last Year's for reference:

Looking forward to seeing everyone’s lists at the end of the year!

Yuyo’s List for 2019:

Spoiler

Purple = Visual Kei

Blue = Rock (and related)

Yellow = Pop (and related)

Whoa

NAZARE - 荊海 BEYOND (Jingai BEYOND)

Ohhhh

SYU (GALNERYUS) - Vorvados

Sukekiyo - INFINITUM

DIMLIM - 離人 (Rijin)

摩天楼オペラ (Matenrou Opera) - Human Dignity

THE THIRTEEN - Alone

Meh

JILUKA - Polyhedron

D'ERLANGER - Roneve

RAZOR - Undo

零[Hz] - ZELM

Uhhhh

Ugh

Thank you Yuyo. Nice to see this kind of thread in 2019 as well. I totally got myself messed last year due to so many reasons and I couldn't even make mine and other things. I'm still in need to get some releases from last year too.

Spoiler

Rating:

★★★★★

-

★★★★

-

★★★

2019.01.09 _ アクメ(ACME) ラストワンショー

★★

-

-

Interest at list:

2019.01.09 _ アクメ(ACME) ラストワンショー
2019.01.15 _ てんさい。- 次回予告

2019.01.30 _ アルルカン - ラズルダズル
2019.02.03 _ WING WORKS - ENTITY
2019.02.13 _ DIAURA - DEFINITION
2019.02.13 _ MUCC - 壊れたピアノとリビングデッド
2019.02.27 _ 摩天楼オペラ - Human Dignity
2019.03.20 _ 己龍 - 閃光

2019.03.27 _ ラッコ -  離脱る

2019.04.03 _ DEZERT - 血液がない!/ Stranger

2019.04.28 _ NAZARE - BEYOND

Edited by yakihiko
update

Spoiler

10/10

umbrella - ダーウィン (darwin) [2018 album but listened to it in 2019]

Crucifixion's entire discography [only just catching up to them]

RAZOR - Undo

La'veil MizeriA -  悲虐色ノ終焉 (Shoku no Shuuen)

9/10

蘭図 (Rands) - Inferiority Complex & Narcissism

the god and death stars - funky ghost hollywood [2018 album but listened to it in 2019]

ゴシップ (Gossip) - 親愛なる鬼畜サイコ野郎(終身)」(Shinainaru Kichiku Saikoyarou (Shuushin) [2018 album but listened to it in 2019]

RAZOR - Undo

キズ (Kizu) - 平成 (Heisei)

8/10

ゼツ (Zetu) - おもちゃ (Omocha)

cali≠gari - 14

モンストロ (MonstlloW) - カタストロフィ (Catastrophy)

DIAURA - DEFINITION

7/10

マチルダ (Mathilda) - キセキニイル (Kiseki ni Iru)

FIXER - FIXER II 

アイオリン (AIOLIN) - Orpheus

NAZARE - 荊海 (Ibara Umi)

仮病 (Kebyou) - 毒針 (Dokubari)

アスティ(Asty) - 夢舞う大泥棒 (Yume Mau Dai Dorobo) 

ペンタゴン (Pentagon) - カルチャーショック (Culture Shock)

Insanity Injection - victim

MUCC - 壊れたピアノとリビングデッド

無能なルシッド (Munou na Lucid) - 侵蝕リフレイン (Shinsoku Refrain)

コドモドラゴン (Codomo Dragon) - テグラマグラ (Tegra-Magra)

6/10

R-Shitei - EROGRO

アイオリン (AIOLIN) - Orpheus

Călătorie-カラトリア- - 桃色レイトショウ (Momoiro Late Show) 

アルルカン(Arlequin) - ラズルダズル(Razzle-Dazzle)

Blue Blood Boa - ゼロ

午前零時。(Gozenreiji) - 好き好き大好き超愛してる (Suki Suki Daisuki Chou Aishiteru)

Călătorie-カラトリア- - AMNESIA

5/10

4/10

POIDOL - LIPS

3/10

2/10

1/10

why/10

still need to listen or waiting on:
sukekiyo - PASSIO 

悪者 (Warumono) - はじまりはじまり。 (Hajimari Hajimari.)

David - stigmata

DOBE - 性ト死  (Sei to Shi)

ヴィルシーナ(Verxina) - 教典 (Kyouten)

ザアザア(Xaa-Xaa) - 死んじゃったポチの話 (Shinjatta Pochi no Hanashi)

己龍 (Kiryu) - 閃光 (Senkou)

umbrella - Acoustic Select

まみれた (Mamireta) - weekly 絶倫マンション (weekly Zetsurin Mansion)

Hueye -  優しく殺して (Yasashiku Koroshite)

シグマメモリア (Sigma Memoria) - PSYCHOPATH [mini-album]

IIIRD - MISS YOU [single]

NoGoD - 神劇 (Shingeki)

ラク×ガキ (Raku Gaki) - チューチューチェリーヴァンパイア (Chu Chu Cherry Vampire)

SARIGIA - DESTINATION

DADAROMA - デンドロビューム (Dendrobium)

The THIRTEEN - ALONE/アローン

NAZARE - 荊海 BEYOND (Jingai BEYOND) [mini-album]

R指定 (R-Shitei) - フラッシュバック (Flashback)

David - 創生録II〜Fearless Scenario〜 (Souseiroku II〜Fearless Scenario〜)

DEVILOOF - 鬼 (Oni) 

ヴァージュ(Virge) - Gracia-ガラシャ- 

sukekiyo - INFINITUM

DIMLIM -  離人 (Hanare Hito) [single]

SHIVA - 窒息に遊ぶ (Chissoku ni Asobu [mini-album]

NAZARE - 荊海 CODA (Jingai CODA)

Edited by chipathy

So far, 2018 is still a better music year than this one.

2019 albums and mini-albums rating

Spoiler

— :_9/10_: — fresh, innovative, outstanding, memorable

CHAI — PUNK

— :_8/10_: — amazing, great release

ももいろクローバーZ — MOMOIRO CLOVER Z

— :_7.5/10_: — very nice, quite special

King Gnu — Sympa

siraph — past & current

Julia Kent — Temporal

Teeth of the Sea — Wraith

matryoshka — Past Genesis

ヒトリエ — HOWLS

La Dispute — Panorama

毛玉 — まちのあかり

Tallies — Tallies

Town Portal — Of Violence

— :_7/10_: — great release

Yvette Young — Piano EP

HOLY FAWNS   Death Spells

REOL — 文明EP

RANDS — Inferiority Complex & Narcissism

standards — Friends

sleepyhead — meltbeat

MORRIE — 光る曠野

サカナクション — 834.194

そこに鳴る — 一閃

Ultramarine — Signals Into Space

Dave — PSYCHODRAMA

Spangle call Lilli line — Dreams Never End

パスピエ — more humor

でんぱ組.inc — ワレワレハデンパグミインクダ

新しい学校のリーダーズ — 若気ガイタル

Nieah — 1%

우주 — 선데이서울 Ep.2

SPOOL — SPOOL

a picture of her — Unavailable

あいみょん — 瞬間的シックスセンス

International Teachers of Pop — International Teachers of Pop

フレデリック — フレデリズム2

The Cinematic Orchestra — To Believe

The THIRTEEN — ALONE/アローン

おとぼけビ〜バ〜 — ITEKOMA HITS

a crowd of rebellion — Black_24:

bohemianvoodoo — MOMENTS

ピノキオピー — 零号

Snail's House — Scenery

ミツメ — Ghosts

LITE — Multiple

Jupiter — Zeus ~Legends Never Die~

NABOWA — DUSK

PassCode — CLARITY

Amnesia Scanner — Lexachast

tricot — リピート

TWICE — FANCY YOU

NYAI — HAO

sukekiyo — INFINITUM

フィロソフィーのダンス — エクセルシオール

WEDNESDAY CAMPANELLA, OORUTAICHI  YAKUSHIMA TREASURER

Kie Katagi — Synesthesia

みゆな —

君島大空 — 午後の反射光

— :_6.5/10_: — had the potential to be a great release

kolme — Hello kolme

ONE OK ROCK — Eye of the Storm

Bring Me the Horizon  — amo

— :_6/10_: — good, average

MUCC — 壊れたピアノとリビングデッド

Kaya — Dress

AliA — AliVe

fulusu — The Voice Between Us/二辺を別つ声

SYU — Vorvados

摩天楼オペラ — Human Dignity

DIAURA — DEFINITION

THE NOVEMBERS — ANGELS

Astronoid — Astronoid

BLACKPINK — Kill This Love

sora tobsakana — World Fragment Tour

Dream Theater — Distance Over Time

柴田聡子 — がんばれ!メロディー

アンテナ — 深い 深い 青
Camilo Séptimo — Navegantes

フジファブリック — F

Nulbarich — Blank Envelope

NAZARE — 荊海

the shes gone — DAYS

cali≠gari — 14

THE SOUND BEE HD — DEAD SILENCE

Waiting list

Spoiler

On hold

jizue                gallery
BiSH                CARROTS and STICKS

Next releases

08.11               BABYMETAL — METAL GALAXY

Edited by thom35

Cool! I'll give it a try this year ^^ Ratings and short thought blurbs below. Everything is ordered by date under each respective category. Subject to change.

Ratings & Review List

Spoiler

This is heavenly awesome. - 5/5

[2019.04.10][Album] Aimer - Sun Dance and Penny Rain (2 simultaneous album release)

Aimer has become one of my favorite non-VK Japanese artist, and her fifth album, which is a simultaneous release of "two" albums , continues to prove the amazing quality she produces. Both albums had great tunes that I danced to and even hummed to at the same time despite it being the first time listening to the two albums. I also find myself attracted to Aimer's undeniably unique voice that stands out from the crowd. She isn't belting out any soprano notes, but there is a touching and heartwarming characteristic to her singing that she brings out in every song regardless if it's melancholy or joyful. Even if it doesn't float your boat, definitely check it out.

This is splendid. Stellar quality to it. - 4.5/5

[2019.01.09][Album] FIXER - FIXER II

Goddamn, I totally missed them, and I'm severely regretting it ;__; (Why the hell did Starwave have to kill another amazing band...?) This was such a freaking great album especially since I have not yet listened to their whole discography yet. Honestly, I haven't come across an album I love this much in a very long time. The vocalist, Jey, is one hell of singer. He has smoothing cleans and non-irritating growls while still conveying the proper emotions behind each piece. All the instruments - guitars, bass, and drums - are splendid as they incorporate a somber yet murky emotion while still retaining a bit of softness. FIXER's music has a certain undeniably edge that keeps you on your seat because of how fluid and unique their music is. Unlike some bands, they have a strong punch to each of their tracks and do not sound like they're blatantly ripping off of another band/artists. I know that most of the songs are old with a few new ones, but the ordering of the tracks feels cohesive and not glued together for the sake of shoving a release out before they disband. In fact, when the album came to an end, I was sad because I almost felt it was too short until I realized the actual length! It's such a shame that the band's lifespan got cut short because they possessed a lot of shining potential. Nonetheless, I hope the members will all come back to create new bands and great music. I'm most curious about what the vocalist will do next because he's got such a great voice, and it'd be a waste to see him not return to the scene. Fingers crossed!

[2019.03.19][Single] キズ (Kizu) - 平成 (Heisei)

I had a friend listen to Kizu who thought they didn't sound anything special. Maybe they're right. But I really enjoy them because of the intensity of their songs and how they are not afraid to push boundaries whether it comes to songwriting, production, and/or visual appearances. With the latest single, I read that people disliked the (3D) production because it takes away the solidity of the actual songs and from the spectacular guitar solos. For me, when I listened to the single, I did feel weird because Lime's voice sounded as though it bounced off the walls in a completely empty concrete storage room. Either way, I think it's still a solid release with fantastic songs, and I am anxiously curious as to what these songs sound like at a live. 

This is great stuff. - 4/5

[2019.01.09][Mini-Album] 蘭図 (Rands) - Inferiority Complex & Narcissism

I've never listened to AvelCain's music, so I can't make any comparisons between the two. Even though this mini-album has seemingly useless instrumentals, it's catchy and hauntingly melodic. It also has interesting and unique guitar parts. At the very least, it's a release that should be listened to at least once even if it doesn't float your boat.

[2019.03.13][Single] RAZOR - Undo

I've been catching up on Razor's music since I was genuinely curious how Ryoga sounded in this band compared to BORN. As a side note, I've listened to BORN's music and seen them live. So while BORN's music might have not sounded 'the best', their lives were a crap ton of fun since Ryoga is a great performer. He's not an atrocious singer, but VK has many more questionable singers than Ryoga. As for this single, I unexpectedly rather enjoyed it, seeing as I already spun the single more than twice, lol. The songs use autotune(?) for Ryoga's voice, but it doesn't really bother me. In fact, I was more swept away by this hard-hitting single, which pounds right into your soul through the work done by the instruments and the well-timed shouting/screaming performed by Ryoga and the rest of the band members. The single certainly packs a ton of fast-paced, intense energy into all three songs, and it doesn't seem to let up even during its less heavier parts. If I had to make a comparison, I would say listening to these tracks is akin to experiencing a "sugar rush". You thoroughly let the feeling of endorphins wash over your body and desperately crave to undergo that incredible high again because you can't get enough of that repetitive rhythm and unnecessarily catchy melodies meshed together with Ryoga's voice. Perhaps I'm being too lenient or biased, but if I had a chance, I would love to listen to these songs live to be entranced by the wild atmosphere it would foster.

[2016.03.06][Digital Single] 凛-Lin-「INNOCENCE」

Back in the day, I was a fan of Lilith because it showed just how far visual kei spread, both geographically and culturally. There is a huge debate as to what constitutes VK, including whether songs should be in Japanese or bands should be based solely in Japan. Whatever your view is, I was thoroughly impressed with Lilith (a China-based VK band) and was sad to find out they disbanded. Luckily, the guitarist of Lilith, Lin, returns with this new single where he embarks on a solo career/project(?) and continues to play his guitar. However, unlike many of the current PSC artists who are instrumentalists-turned-vocalists, Lin doesn't sing and focuses on what he does best - composing music and playing guitar and piano. Instead of wasting time being a singer, he equally dishes out a ton of creative energy during the fast-paced, heavier parts and softer melodies in slower moments. The track is decorated with pleasing guitar riffs, and manages to incorporate piano solos without sounding awkward. The track is about four and a half minutes, but it doesn't feel stifled, boring, or lazy. Emotions are seeping through each note, and it feels like an adventure you'd want to experience over and over again. I'm (most likely) biased, but I'm exited to see what else he creates in the future.

[2019.03.13][Album] コドモドラゴン (Codomo Dragon) - テグラマグラ (Tegura Magura)

I recall hearing about this group before I temporarily quit the VK scene, but I never got around to listening to them until this album. I think that was a big mistake. It has a fair amount of electronics, synths, riffs, and chugging - which seems to be the trend nowadays. But they aren't afraid to twist and turn with these elements on its head to produce memorable, pleasing riffs and solos. Even the alluring bass lines come out despite all the cleans, growls, and shouts on top of the frenetic drumming. It's frisky, vibrant, and animated. During its slower moments, the band doesn't hold back with its fragile, vulnerable state alongside its more moderate, steady tempo. It's an entertaining album with an assortment of songs to play over and over.

[2019.04.17][Mini-album] Merry - for Japanese sheeple

One of the bands which helped introduce me to VK as a whole. I remember liking Gara's voice because of how different it sounded compared to what I usually listened to at the time. I think that testament still stands with this new mini-album despite how long I've been listening to VK. The guitars pull off a playful yet serious attitude as Gara (probably) sings about something related to Japan and/or Japanese history. Even though they've been around for so long, they manage to still pull out fresh ideas even if they, sometimes, may not always be executed to the best. Another nice, solid release from them.

[2019.04.27][Mini-Album] SLOTHREAT - Allium

I'm not completely versed in the ways of music, but I rather enjoyed this metalcore mini-album with its rough guitar chords and mesmerizing melody. Admittedly, the singer's voice reminded me of Yuugiri from Daizystripper with his high-pitched tone. Despite the similarity, it sounded distinctly different, managing to snugly fit in with this release. As a result, this odd combination made for an enjoyable ride. Interestingly, there weren't many low growls, shouts, and/or screams, which usually defines this metal genre. Some may see this as a turn off from the mini-album, but I rather liked this spin. The music still dug hard and pounded deep into the soul with its fierce drumming and zealous guitar parts. A peculiar, unique release. Looking forward to listening to their future works!

[2019.04.24][Single] SCAPEGOAT - ラブカ  (Rabuka)

A band that has been around since 2009. I'm wondering how I missed them, but I think it likely has to do with the fact that I was inundated with all these new VK bands at the time, and they sadly flew under my radar. Nonetheless, I went into this release without any expectations (as I try to do with all new artist/releases I listen to), and I found myself putting it on repeat multiple times. It certainly has a undeniable attribute that pulls the listener along for the ride. The lyrics convey a menacing, darker theme accompanied by the impeccable guitar riffs and solos by Sayula. Even their slower "ballad" song manages to evoke a spring of emotional nostalgia or bittersweet sadness. With solid playing and hefty, but amazing vocals by Haru, this single stands out above some of the rest. It takes on a fresh sound without hopping onto any trends. And don't forget those subtle, but impressive bass lines by LAYHA. Perhaps he's not earning brownie points by being the super duper best, but it's unmistakably his playing. Also, I remember reading people's opinions on how the A-side song was nothing amazing despite it being musically decent, and even one of my friends said they don't sound anything special/remarkable. Maybe that's true, but it plucked a string in my heart, and I loved every single minute of it. Stellar release!

[2019.05.08][Mini-Album] David - 創生録II〜Fearless Scenario〜 (Souseiroku II〜Fearless Scenario〜)

Is that Misery (ex.Megaromania) playing the guitar here? Because if it is, the guitar riffs and solos are freaking amazing. They stand out, dragging your soul deep into the music. Even though it doesn't look like it, I loved listening to Megaromania and their releases. I was sad to find out that they disbanded, but I'm glad to see that Sui has come back with this solo project, David. (And Misery playing support is a bonus!) Usually, I have one or two favorite songs, but I absolutely adore every song on this. It sticks to this grand, foreboding theme throughout the entire ride, and there isn't a moment where you're wondering if it's over yet. Also, it was refreshing to hear that there was hardly any inclusion of any synths or electronics. It was Sui's voice and the music that made this a marvelous release with its outstanding, emotional tracks. By the way, I must add that Sui's vocals have come a long way since I first heard him in Megaromania. It's heartening to hear when a singer actively improves their voice as s/he continues with his/her career. Kudos to him! 

[2019.05.08][Single] ギャロ (THE GALLO) - DEATHTOPIA

I'm not familiar with this band, but I actually quite liked this single. It originally was not on my 'to-listen' list, but this singer's voice, JoJo(?), made quite an impression on me. He had an almost-yet-not-quite high-pitched voice. Usually, this might annoy people, but I found it perfectly danced right along with the music. The instruments are superb, the songs are catchy, and the play on the 'un-Disney' theme made me chuckle. My favorite has to be Willy the Booh because of how playful and cheeky it sounds (without understanding the lyrics).

[2019.05.22][Album] ヴァージュ(Virge) - Gracia-ガラシャ-

For some reason, the opening instrumental piano track reminded me a bit of Chopin with its beautiful melody. Suffice to say, it hooked me in with its eerie, spooky undertones. One of my favorite parts throughout this whole album is the catchy guitar solos and riffs. It gave energy and character to the music, making this album come to life. I also enjoyed it when the vocalist hit those high notes in -ガラシャ-. The re-recordings also sounded great with the addition of two duo guitars, which managed to spice up the pieces. As of now, my favorite songs are '-ガラシャ-', '毒苺', and '白昼夢'. 白昼夢 is a slow ballad with only a piano playing in the background, but the singer evokes a soulful and melancholy emotion that springs forth from the heart. A nice, solid album.

[2019.05.22][Maxi-Single/EP] KHRYST+ - 贖罪 (Shokuzai)

I will be honest and come out to say that I am partial/biased towards this band because they're made up of ex-SCREW members ^^; In this release, there are remnants of SCREW's theme and sound weaved into all the tracks. But, um, how do I say this? If you compare it to SCREW's music, then it might feel somewhat dull. That doesn't mean time and effort wasn't put into this single. I'm not an expert on music production or with any of that lingo, but I feel the technical aspects are fine. However, something feels lacking within the music itself. Perhaps that's an unfair comparison for me to make since SCREW had more experience under their belt (in terms of years of experience) and had some different musicians/composers. By itself (without any comparison to SCREW),  I think it's a decent first release by the band with impressionable riffs and lively, exciting parts. I also love the nods to the bass parts in クラクラ, so it was nice to hear Iru strutting his stuff. Some people thought it sounded like the banging of pots and pans, but the drumming by Jin feels solid and holds the pieces together. Byou still retains his light, airy voice and has come a long way from when he first started. Also, as a random side note (unrelated to the music), did anyone else buy this? Because when I opened it up, the hinge on the jewel case popped right off. I'd like to think it was because I was being too rough in handling it, but it's certainly a first for me with brand new/sealed CDs o_o;  

[2019.05.28][Single] gulu gulu - 変なメリーゴーランド (Henna Merry-Go-Land)

As a note, I’m not familiar at all with any previous associated acts that any of these musicians were a part of, so this blurb is based on my listen of this single alone. I hadn’t originally put this on my ‘to-listen’ list, but it popped up on my radar when I saw people anxiously anticipating for this single. I must say it was worth the wait. The vocalist can truly churn out some good cleans and growls. The instruments aren't all that shabby either with its chugging and those riffs, which were one of my favorite parts of the single. To me, it's a single not afraid to flaunt its darker, dirty themes while still adhering to a bit of charm. For a first release, it's not bad at all, and I think this band has potential to create something fantastically mind-blowing.

[2019.05.29][Single] Frantic EMIRY〜second crisis〜 -『Angels Cry / World End』

When the band first re-emerged, I thought (like everyone else) it would be all the members of Daizystripper, however, it turned out to be mostly different with the exception of Kazami, the drummer. I was a little shocked and hesitant about how it turn out. I saw other people were lukewarm towards the project and felt it wouldn't be as good as the original version. But when I popped in the CD, I was taken by surprise how much I put it on repeat. For the most part, it was fantastic with its piano, guitar, and violin solos. No instruments in this release was neglected and carefully weaved into the song. The only thing that sounded odd was Mao's voice at certain parts. It sounded as if they had been auto-tuned. Otherwise, his deep, smooth voice was splendid, and the violin by Hikarito (Aiolin vocalist) beautifully larked like a hummingbird, not only just hitting the pitch of the notes correctly, but also managing to emote its inner deepest thoughts. Despite the mixture of rock and classical instruments, the polar opposite sounds neatly united as one. The new version of "World End" sounded different, but I don't think it necessarily beats out the older one. I'd say it would depend on your preference. I didn't mind, and enjoyed the added touch of the violin. 

[2019.05.29][EP/Mini-Album] JILUKA - POLYHEDRON

It's my first time listening to Jiluka, and I'm impressed by their metal sound. I'm not familiar with all the songs, but none of these songs were metal (I think most were pop). Despite my lack of knowledge, these songs held up a good chord and managed to stay true to Jiluka's signature even with the song, Fukai Mori (third track). The original version, by Do as Infinity, was mainly a ballad, but Jiluka placed its own spin keeping both the spirit of their band and the song's identity. The growls and shouts also didn't feel out of place, making each piece feel cohesive and consistent.

[2019.07.02][Single] キズ (Kizu) - ヒューマンエラー (Human Error)

It's still a solid single and they didn't try any funky mix like with the last release. The first two songs is a typical darker, heavy kizu style with the pounding drums and uncomfortably talented guitar. My favorite song is the third tracks, 僕を残して死んでくロックンロール and 繭. Not exactly sure why, but I found myself attracted to Lime's clean singing in both and how the tracks sounded comparatively lighter. I've read that people said how they've found the songs all sounding the 'samey'. But I think it works for Lime and the band. 

This is pretty good. - 3.5/5

[2019.01.09][Mini-Album] GOTCHAROCKA - グエリラ

It's been a long time since I've heard Jui sing. After Vidoll disbanded, I was quite heartbroken, and hadn't gotten over it by the time Jui created this new band, GOTCHAROCKA. I haven't listened to their previous releases, but this mini-album wasn't too bad. The guitars, I've read, are played by Jun from Phantasmagoria, and his skill playing really shows because I enjoyed those parts the most. Jui's voice is unique and instantly stood out right away. This release now has me curious about their previous works. It's something I'll have to check out for sure.

[2019.01.09][Single] アクメ (ACME) - Last One Show

As usual, the high point for me was Chisa's voice. I've always found his voice unique, but that's just me. The single was pleasant and had some unexpected heaviness to it. My favorite track on the single is "ナマケモノ" with its inclusion of beautiful piano instrumentals. For some reason, I imagined the song could be good for an anime opening/ending.

[2019.01.10][Single] HAKLO - Another

HAKLO was recommended to me by a friend, and I have to admit that there is something very upbeat and catchy about their music. The singer has a pleasant voice and the eletro/synths/rock blend works to the band's advantage. Lots of bands use this combination, but HAKLO's music manages to inject some life with their guitar parts and unforgettable chorus. Originally, I wasn't paying attention to this band, but I think they've won me over. 

[2019.01.12][Album] NAZARE - 荊海 (Jingai)

I had a hard time figuring out where to place this. It has memorable guitar riffs/solos and the vocalist can definitely hold a chord especially during moments when he screams, shrieks, and growls. In the end, I think it showcases the great potential this new band possesses and it'll be intriguing to see how their music develops. For those who are into this kind of murky, dark, and heavy music, it's definitely an album worth checking out.

[2019.01.30][Single] アルルカン(Arlequin) - ラズルダズル (Razzle-Dazzle)

Kickass instrumentals and heavy, tough guitar parts. I expected the singer to growl or shout, however, he mainly stuck to a clean singing voice. I've read it's because his voice is not well, and he cannot perform such actions anymore. It is unfortunate and a shame because I think the single could have been even better with those added extra growls. It would have definitely added to the exhilarating rush and passion to the release as a whole.

[2019.02.06][Single] BULL FIELD - BATTLE FIELD

The solo project of Ni-ya from Nightmare. It's a commendable effort on Niya's part to go solo and churn out a release. In the single, I clearly hear the integral bass playing a more central role in the music. Even though the duo guitars still "carry" the main parts, the bass without a doubt holds a prominent presence, making itself known. The compositions and songwriting themselves remained solid with a variety of chords, solos, and riffs. The weakest part of it all is the actual singing. While in Nightmare, Niya dominated the bass lines, so it makes sense his vocal chords would not be polished and/or refined. As a whole, this is not bad with its instrumentals, but I wonder if Niya's voice can grow and develop or if it will remain the same as it is now.

[2019.02.13][Mini-Album] DIAURA - DEFINITION

I have been catching up with DIAURA's works since I last listened to them... four years ago. (Wow, times flies.) Overall, the mini-album is solid and has some nice songs on it that will definitely be spun more than once. So far, my favorite songs are [dignity], Malice, and 断頭台から愛を込めて with its attractive guitar harmonies and riffs. 嘘とワルツを caught me off guard with its jazzy, swing-like beats fused with heavier guitar melodies. Sadly, the mini-album felt lackluster compared to some of their previous albums/mini-albums. Nonetheless, I enjoyed the release, and I'll forever remain a loyal fan of yo-ka's voice. (Completely forgot how he sounded until I revisited older releases and listened to this mini-album!)

[2019.02.14][Single] CLACK inc. - 夜、屋上。(Yoru, Okujo.)

Another band, which I have no idea about, but I really loved this single! Whenever some artists utilize synths in songs, it tends to be a dull and a snoozefest, but Takeru (the singer) sounds absolutely flawless. He undercuts any weakness in the tracks and brings it to life, carrying it all the way through with a strong finish. In particular, it sounds as though track number two, 死亡推定時刻2〜3時、性別女性 , is a heart-wrenching, sad song (please correct me if I'm wrong here), and Takeru's voice really stands out and emotes these feelings despite the usage of autotunes/synths. Aside from his vocals, the guitars, bass, and drums do a fine job of bringing out the necessary sounds and add a depth to each of the songs. I'm looking forward to the next release, and I'll have to jump onto the previous releases since this single sounds darn good!

[2019.02.21][Live-Distributed Mini-Album] MIMIC - KING MIMIC

The infusion of electro-rock might be (to some people) a boring slog repeated many times over. In a way, there is some validity to the statement. However, I see it as a current trend to mix these styles together. MIMIC fuses these two styles together producing a unique sound of chugging and electronics intertwined together. I can see that these would make for thrilling songs during lives. Just imagine the energy!

[2019.02.27][Album] Matenrou Opera - Human Dignity

It's been quite sometime since I've listened to Matenrou Opera's music. The last release I remember hearing from this band was the album, "Justice". Needless to say, I have a lot of catching up to do. However, I decided to dive straight into this album without visiting their more recent releases. Fortunately, this album had some great bangers and provided a variety of tracks, ranging from fast-paced, dark songs to inspirational, hopeful ones as well as slower guitar ballads. Even though it's probably not the best song, I enjoyed how Matenrou Opera incorporated "Cee" (completely instrumental with heavy guitar melodies) since it's not something I see many bands include in their releases. Also, "SNOW" caught me off guard with the saxophone. However, they inserted it right along with the other instruments, which pleasantly surprised me since it managed to not sound completely out of place. Even though there are some who hate it, I liked Sono's unique voice, which manages to bring out their latest compositions. Human Dignity contrasts from their older releases, but it's still worth giving it a shot at least once.

[2019.03.05][Single] 悪者 (Warumono) - はじまりはじまり。 (Hajimari Hajimari.) 

I had no idea how to judge this band based solely on their look. I thought they would play extreme heavy, grim music, which they do. But they actually have a semi-cheerful, groovy song thrown into the mix, which caught me by surprise. It wasn't half-assessed either. I was surprised by how much I was attracted to this single. It also helped that the singer had a smooth voice. A little rough and bland around the edges. Nonetheless, I feel they have some room to grow if possible.

[2019.03.13][EP] Sleepyhead - meltbeat

A release by Takeru's (ex-SUG) solo project, Sleepyhead. It was mainly filled with poppy, electro/synth vibes that had me bouncing along. Unlike SuG's crazy, zany music, this felt more mellow and relaxing, but not dispassionate. Takeru still emotes wonderfully, showing off his skills as a vocalist.

[2019.03.19][Single] HAKLO - シリアルキラー・ガールフレンド (Serial Killer Girlfriend)

Some people dislike it, but this single was decorated with eletro/synths everywhere. I'm not against these inclusions if they can make the release more delicious to listen to. In HAKLO's latest single, these additions are icing on the cake of an easy going single with a variety of styles incorporated into it. For a single with the words 'serial killer', one would think it would be 'emo' and 'edgy' music, but it was a nice take that HAKLO didn't completely veer in that direction. My favorite parts are the guitar solos and the vocalist has a fitting voice for the band's style. I look forward to their next release!

[2019.03.20][Album] ヴィルシーナ (Verxina) - 教典 (Kyouten)

I was quite looking forward to this album after the first two amazing singles, and well, let's start with the positive stuff. I enjoyed the malicious, unnerving SEs and a few songs are quite memorable. Obviously, the tracks from the previous singles are still great (including the remixes), and songs like "投与" stand out. With that being said, the album felt like one long song to me (after listening to it twice). As if this 40-some-minute-long album was an entire concerto. I'm not sure if that was the point or if I'm completely missing something. I also think it's interesting that it was Mar who wrote all the songs. In any case, it's not a bad album, and is quite fun to listen to the overly synthesized, messy tunes.

[2019.03.27][Mini-album] まみれた (mamireta) - weekly 絶倫マンション

I'm not familiar with mamireta's whole discography, but this mini-album was overall a cheeky and bold mini-album that demonstrates how relaxed and nonchalant the band is with their sound. The thrashing, pounding, dark and heavy beats remain and Batsu's silly antics can be heard especially when he burps in some of the tracks. To me, these songs would sound like it would be a ton of fun live. I remember people stating how this release was going to be horrible/terrible compared to their previous release, and I can't speak on that. Nonetheless, I'm intrigued to listen to the rest of their discography because of how playful and carefree it is while also being menacing and malignant-sounding.

[2019.04.01][Single] Avilis - Beginner

I had no idea what to expect when listening to this new band, and I came out pleasantly surprised. After listening to it several times, I found the first track, Beginning, pleasant. In a sense, Beginning and their other tracks are catchy and probably a "run-of-the-mill" VK songs, and the singer (by some) will probably be considered to have an average voice. But there was something I quite enjoyed with its poppish vibes and synths mixed in with hardcore rock. It's standard pop rock, but I'll be interested in seeing how the band develops a unique sound because I think there certainly is potential. Looking forward to what else they release in the future!

[2019.04.10][Single] Houts - Reckless

Cynics would probably say this is another 'run-of-the-mill' VK release, but I found myself attracted to this single with its mixture of positive feelings weaved inside of these mostly heavy laced songs. The release is probably nothing special with a singer who some might say doesn’t have an outstanding voice, but to me, it was the vocalist who caught my attention with his clean voice and growls. The music utilizes some electro/synth elements into its intense chugging and riffs. Overall, the vocals and instruments snugly match each other. It may not be winning a “best-of” award, but this is something I would no doubt return to again.

[2019.04.24][Mini-Album/EP] the Thirteen - ALONE/アローン

On my initial listen, I had mixed feelings, but as I continued to listen to it on repeat, I warmed up to it. As a disclaimer, I enjoy Sadie (yes, insert complaints of DEG rip-off, but I still liked them anyways) and I also have come to like this project as well. To start off, my favorite songs so far are "悪女" and "Sinister Design". Throughout the song, "悪女"  carries a swing, jazzy feeling without any usage of a saxophone. I must commend kazu (support bassist) for his work here because it is obvious of the hard legwork his bass does here alongside the piano. It had me dancing and singing the whole way. The chorus of "Sinister Design" is catchy, and I never got tired of Mizuki's guitar parts. The other songs are still solid work from the pair. People say how this was an improvement over Sadie's 'repetitiveness' and 'dreadfulness'. Honestly, I feel the Thirteen is a semi-continuation of that Sadie feel without the other three members (seeing as two people from that band continued to work together...). Either way, it hasn't stopped me from listening and supporting this promising project.  

[2019.04.10][Single] ジグソウ(Jigsaw) - 群青、風船が割れる (Gunjou, Fuusen ga Wareru)

Never listened to this band before, and colored me impressed. Even though they're a darker, heavy band, they find a way to squeak out an edge over other similar-sounding bands, and the singer has a soothing yet harsh voice. As for the instrumentals, the guitar riffs here had me coming back for more on multiple repeats. None of the elements in the release sound forced or obligatory. It naturally flowed well, although I guess that could be up for debate depending on the listener's taste. Overall, an impressive release!

[2019.04.24][Best-of Albums] A9 -  [風月ノ詩] / [花鳥ノ調] (Kazuki no Uta / Kachou no Shirabe)

Listening to these two albums really brought me back to 2005-06. It was a great nostalgia trip and an interesting release, seeing as the members are older and theoretically have more experience under their belt from when they first created these songs. I suppose I'm too familiar with the original versions to instantly fall in love with these tracks, but I think it'll grow on me as I listen to it. The only new renditions that I felt was a little awkward were the trio of GEMINI songs. I reviewed the original versions and came back to this new version, and it's fine and dandy, but Shou's voice sounds a little out of the place and the instruments certainly have a different take than the original. Not sure what the band was thinking, but I'd prefer the original ones over this. Those had a haunting, but mysterious feel to it. The new ones are just really... nerve-wrecking to listen to. Another note I have to mention is Shou's voice. Most of the time, singers in remixed/remastered albums sound different because they've improved/grown/etc., so I'm not saying Shou sounds flat or dull. But it did create some awkward moments where I was expecting him to belt out loud and/or high notes, but he sang in a normal or low tone. I've heard it's because of complications with his voice, so I guess he can't replicate what he used to sound like - which, again, is a shame because it would have been fantastic to hear his strong vocals echo out those awesome notes. Otherwise, I'm loving these remixed pieces. It showcases how they've musically matured  and how much they've grown.

[2019.05.01][Maxi-Single] Royz - IGNITE

Royz has been a band, which I felt could uniquely combine electronics, synths, pop, and rock all together in one cohesive sound without being deathly boring. I have not listened to their more recent outputs except for the best-of album. Based on varying opinions, it seems Royz possesses the same issue as Kiryu where their outputs become more or less a rehash of the "same old songs" rewritten slightly different to fulfill BPR quota demands. Whatever the case is, I felt this single signaled an attempt to return to those same sounds when they first started out. It has a fun, laid back tone sprinkled in with moments of seriousness and heaviness accompanied by the guitar solos. As a whole, the single treaded back to comfortable territory while still piquing some interest with its pop--electronic-rock vibes. My favorite song is "夢華火". Yes, it's a cheesy ballad sung by vocalists with perhaps 10x more abilities, but the instrumentals were played so beautifully that it sounded like the soft clinking of wine glasses on a quiet evening shared by two people. The track managed to stir up melodic and bittersweet emotions and bundle it all up into one chunk to deliver a heartfelt piece.

[2019.05.01][Single]ラミヤ (Lamiya) -『Prologue』

At first glance, this band doesn't look like they would play anything heavy especially when you observe the playful, rabbit and "Alice in Wonderland" motif. To my pleasant surprise, this band meshed the elements of adorable xylophone and bells alongside disturbing screams, intense guitar solos and chords, and the trendy synths. On the surface, this reads like a recipe for an absolute disaster. However, unlike inexperienced cooks who would blow up the kitchen with these ingredients (like me), Lamiya made all these gears grind together in sync without sounding like a mishap. It could be argued that this makes the release experimental, but to me, it felt as though the band wanted to achieve this crazy sound to convey more than simply a 'happy, cheerful' sound. After all, not all parts of Alice in Wonderful were nice happenstances. There were nonsensical parts, which come off as zany and almost insane with the way characters acted and were drawn. Perhaps this release reflects those exact depictions.  

[2019.06.05][Single] DIMLIM - 離人 (Hanare Hito)

The 'noodling' guitar parts still remain, but Sho's voice remains solid and unafraid to belt out the proper notes, conveying each notes with power and vulnerability. The A-side track was infused with different styles of music, but only goes to show the band's talented musicianship. The slower tempo, mostly laid back B-side track captured my attention right away with the drumming and guitar solo. This single doesn't have the screamo or pig squeal elements like their album, Cheodoara, did, but I think the single is still fantastic in its own. I'll be curious to see what direction DIMLIM takes next.

[2019.06.19][Single] Shishi - かまちょ。(Kama Cho.)

A fun, playful little single that isn't afraid to go somewhat heavier. It's definitely got lots of electro/synths incorporated within the rockness of each track. But it makes for a super exciting release in which you can dance to. The brightly colored-coordinated outfits also helps to swing you into the mood. If bright, colorful aesthetic and synth/rock mix doesn't float your boat, you might want to steer away from this release.

This is not too bad. - 3/5

[2019.01.09][Single] POIDOL - LIPS

When I heard the first song, I immediately thought of Royz. Their style, their craft, and their sound - all of it reminds me of Royz. The singer obviously sounds somewhat different. There is a certain fantastic energy behind their songs aided by the wonderful electronics. A great listen when you want to dance to some electro-rock music.

[2019.01.10][Single] ゼツ (Zetu) - おもちゃ (Omocha)

The actual music and instrumentals actually sounded not too bad for a band's first release. Although, how do I say this? The singer sounded fine, but when you've got more than ten to twenty new VK bands coming out every year, his voice kind of felt like any other one. Usually, I don't mind 'great' or 'terrible' voices since it can be developed or become a special trademark for the vocalist/band, but sadly this one did not stick out to me. 

[2019.01.18][EP] Hikaru Utada - Face My Fears

Growing up with songs like "Simple and Clean"/"Hikari" and "Passion"/"Sanctuary", I had high expectations for the EP. Perhaps it's unfair since those songs were created at different stages in Utada's career. Nonetheless, the songs on the EP contains the new theme songs for the recently released videogame, Kingdom Hearts 3 (produced by Square Enix). For this single, I read she paired up with Skillrex to produce this EP. Certainly, I think there are some catchy, upbeat parts to "Face My Fears" and serves an inspirational opening song for KH3. The same applies to 誓い/Don't Think Twice, which is the ending song for the game. The song has a slow-paced rhythm, accompanied by the piano with very little autotune compared to "Face My Fears". However, in the end, I'm not sure if it'll receive as many spins as "Simple and Clean"/"Hikari" and "Passion"/"Sanctuary", but it does have some decent quality to it. (Warning: If autotune isn't your cup of joe, you'd probably want to avoid this EP.)

[2019.01.22][Maxi-single] アスティ (Asty) - 夢舞う大泥棒 

I was fond of their first single, so I bought this one. I enjoyed listening to the Japanesque single, but I think the full force of the songs would come out better if attending a live concert. (Look at the band's YT channel. They have many videos on how to do furis for their songs.) At least the costumes were colorful and bright.

[2019.02.03][Album] WING WORKS - ENTITY

A solo project by Ryounosuke who used to play the bass for Shoujo Lolita23Q. If you do not like electronics/synths massively intertwined with rock music, then steer clear of this release because this is chock full of it. Every song is filled to the brim with these elements, which I like, but it felt like a bit of an overkill. Each song on its own is musically sound, but placing it together in an album, which is almost one hour and twenty minutes long, I started to wonder when I would hear a different style of music. This is not to say it's terrible because I can feel each song was carefully thought out and executed. However, I'm not sure I would listen through all this in one sitting. 

[2019.02.06][Mini-Album] Garak's - Pochi

I don't really know much about this band other than that they came from disbanded bands, which I had heard of but never had a chance to listen to. It was a nice sample of what (I assume) the band plays, and the singer also had a nice voice. Some tracks reminded me of Royz with their combination of synths and guitar tunes. Either way, not a bad mini-album, and I'll be interested to hear what they release next.

[2019.02.06][Single] MonstlloW - カタストロフィ (Catastrophe)

A relatively new VK band with an interesting sound. The singer's voice sounds flat, which, given in any regular context, would be a bad statement to make. In this band's case, I think his voice works even almost breaking down at some parts. "Broken Doll" had more of that messy mixture of synths, electronics, and rock melding together to create a chaotic piece that ends in a wreckage. I guess that would be the point by glancing at the single's title. Like Mathilda, MonstlloW's "Dwell" had an interesting take by incorporating Tchaikovsky's nutcracker piece. Instead of only providing a snippet, the intense, heavy guitars utilized it as a pedestal to produce a piece where the vocals don't play such a huge role. It took me by complete surprise, but I found it rather interesting because the innocence and naivety oozing from the famous Nutcracker melody clashes head on with the unstable, disorienting guitars. Normally, this might sound like a catastrophe (pardon the pun), but perhaps this dichotomy points to a bigger overall paradoxical relationship. (Maybe I've been playing too much Kingdom Hearts.) As a whole, the single turns out fine. The potential is lurking underneath the compositions as I was drawn to the guitar for all three songs, so I'm cautiously excited to see what the band will create next. 

[2019.02.13][Single] 午前零時。(Gozenreiji) - 好き好き大好き超愛してる (Suki Suki Daisuki Chou Aishiteru)

A very peculiar single from a relatively new VK band. Aside from all the weird sound effects placed all over the songs, I'm not sure if it's just my ears or my crappy speakers, but I felt I could barely hear the singer's voice amidst all the chaotic guitar and SEs. I believe they're supposed to be a dark, heavy band, and it's fine. I just had a hard time discerning the singer's voice. The music itself isn't bad, though. There are some interesting ideas embedded into the release. 

[2019.02.13][Mini-Album] 午前零時。(Gozenreiji) - アヤシテ? (Ayashite?) [Re-release]

I'm cheating a little bit for this one as it was originally released in 2018, but the band re-released it again this year, so I think it fits :D It's the band's very first release, which I tend to cut a bit of slack since a first release isn't usually 'the best' of a band's music repertoire. As with their latest single, there are interesting ideas and sounds imbued within the release and has potential. As a side note, I've heard from some people that the singer tends to talk about 'self-harm', and apparently, the songs reflect this theme. I'm not going to talk about my personal feelings concerning this particular matter in this short review blurb. I figured I should just mention it as a warning for any new listeners. 

[2019.02.27][Album] 零[Hz] (Zero Hertz) - ZELM

Phew wee. Talk about massive electronics up the wazoo. Not a bad thing in rock music since it can inject spice and flavor into the songs. I just didn't expect it to have such a huge presence for some reason, lol. The singer has an attractive voice with a bit of vibrato. Some might state that he has nothing but a standard VK voice, but it perfectly clicks with their music. This album might not be everyone's cup of joe, but I think it would make for great club or party music. A little bit serious, playful, exciting, and thrilling - emotions to keep the party alive.

[2019.02.27][Single] マチルダ (Mathilda) - 人魚ノ肉 (Ningyo no Mori)

Warning: I haven't listened to their past releases, so my blurb is based on this single alone. Wow whee. This single utilizes a ton of synths. I'm not against bands and/or musicians utilizing synths since I think it can leave room for artists to develop funky, cool tunes. Unfortunately, I don't think it made the songs blow my mind out of this world. However, I also don't think this single is horrible or a sad cacophony of sounds. The singer sounds fine and some parts of the tracks had me tapping my feet sometimes. My favorite song is the most haunting one, くるみ割り人形. The callback to Tchaikovsky's nutcracker song, at the beginning, was a nice added touch, which integrated quite nicely with the rest of the song. In fact, the abrupt change in melody (around 0:17) set up an immediate, stark contrast to Tchaikovsky's delightful, rosy orchestral piece. One part that caught my ear was the high-pitched guitar solo, which sent off vibes of frightening creepiness. Somehow, it worked to highlight the mood and atmosphere of this (probably disturbing) dark song. (It starts around 2:53.) The single might not be winning any "year of" awards, but it's still worth to sample it once to get a feel of newer neo-VK bands.

[2019.03.06][Album] MIMIZUQ - ナミダQUARTET (Namida QUARTET)

A perky, lively little single that wraps itself in seemingly nonsensical yet genuinely heartfelt moments. My favorite song is '東京INVADERZ', which was a bit cheeky. Considering the costumes they wore for this album, I think this song and the others fit right into this theme. Normally, I appreciate and like the opening track, but this one, for some reason, was memorable as I can still hear those little bell chimes (xylophone?) ring in my head. It was done in such a cutesy yet not unhealthy, diabetic way that I love it. I think this would be the best way to describe the entire album - charming and sweet infused with a bit of blues and damper. It gives you the emotional feels in all the right ways.

[2019.03.06][EP] mitsu - OVER

A poppy, jazzy, festive, and smooth EP that is great for playing at parties or big celebrations. I remember he used to be a vocalist for the now disbanded v[neu]. It's good to see him back with his own solo project, although, I'm not too sure how unique it is compared to any other solo projects/pop artists. He had an appealing voice that flawlessly harmonized with the rest of the release.

[2019.03.20][Maxi-Single] 己龍 (Kiryu) -「閃光」(Senkou)

As a random note, I liked the callback to Japanese heritage in the single's cover art. For the single itself, I think the song, Senkou, sounds beautiful with its random harp(?) notes at certain intervals. The rest of the songs... Well, I used to be a huge fan of Kiryu, and I wholeheartedly loved their Shuka Ensen album. Now, I haven't listened to their more recent releases, but this single sounds more of the same of what they used to release back in 2013. Yes, a band who has been in the scene this long usually develops a particular sound, but they develop it or continue grow while still retaining their special trademarks. Kiryu feels stagnant - like they have the ability to produce something fantastic, but it's being hindered, and their creativity remains in the same place. No doubt, the single is fine on its own. But looking at Kiryu's discography as a whole, Senkou (the single) just feels like another solid release, and that's about it. It's a shame because I feel they have more to offer. People blame it on the crazy BPR record label schedule, coupled with Mahiro's eye sickness. Whatever it is, I hope things turn out better for the band, both musically and physically (and spiritually).

[2019.03.20][Single] 無能なルシッド (Munou na Lucid) - 「侵蝕リフレイン」(Shinshoku Refrain)

After coming off the heels of their first promising single, this second single felt... odd. It's not bad, but it feels experimental with songs having sudden mood changes/swings (or maybe it's just me?). The single overall felt a little devoid of direction. Perhaps it's my lack of knowledge on the Japanese language, but I had a hard time grasping the overall feel of the single. Otherwise, this is an interesting single. My favorite part is the guitar solo in the song, "狂喜の国のアリス". Too bad it's so short. Last, but not least, these make for some great headbangers at lives!

[2019.03.20][Single] ザアザア (Xaa-xaa) - 「死んじゃったポチの話」

Can you believe the lead song of this single is a bleak, somber song about the death of a dog? I’m not dismissing the severity of losing a pet because it is heartbreaking when it happens. However, most VK songs don’t usually focus on pets. They tend to discuss about broken love or losing a lover (i.e. through death, breakups, etc.). Nonetheless, it was a nice change of pace. The singer pulled off a baritone/bass tone for his voice, which was a first for me in a long time. Most of the vocalists in VK tend to sing somewhere along the middle. Out of the whole single, I liked 最後に言わせて with its memorable guitar riffs and random piano solos.

[2019.03.27][Maxi-single] Hueye - 「優しく殺して」(Yasashiku Koroshite)

As a note, this new band apparently comes from the same label that Mejibray was signed on with. Moving on, I liked the heavy banger opening in the first track and I thoroughly enjoyed the last track. I think there is some potential shown here in the single, and I'd be interested to see how they develop. People have already said they sound like Mejibray. I hope they move away from that comparison and create their own sound. Only time will tell.

[2019.03.27][Maxi-single] IIRD - Miss You

(Note: I know nothing about this band except that the original singer who was supposed to be there disappeared and the current vocalist used to play one of the instruments. Also, they've formed other bands with the almost exact same lineup several times.) Heavy, grungy, and dark. That's how I would describe the single. I also enjoyed how the acoustic parts in the third track, サキュバス, interlaced with the grungy, moody rock sound. It's their first release with this new singer, so I'm interested to see how they'll develop as a band. Not a bad start for a first single.

[2019.03.27][Mini-album] ユメリープ (Yumeleep) - まくろまたー (makuro matter)

Where baby-kei goes to die. Okay, I'm just joking. Although, the opening instrumental SE could have fooled me. For a moment, it made me think that I was going to listen to the soundtrack of an epic grand movie like Lord of the Rings. Not sure if that was the effect the band was going for, but it certainly set up a particular expectation. The rest of the mini-album is pretty much diced in obscure darkness and cute playfulness. Also, the singer projects in one flat tone the entire time... like his vocals don't fluctuate at all. I've also seen the music video where he wears only one facial expression, emulating what he does with his voice. Aside from the vocalist's oddity, the instrumentals don't seem to be all too shabby. It's not a spectacular mini-album, but it holds its own peculiar characteristics that couldn't be replicated with any other band.

[2019.03.31][Single] GE+IM - アイオライト-STC 

Ever since Luzmelt, I’ve always been a fan of Yuhma’s vocals. But… why is it partially covered up by synths/autotune? I loved his natural voicework, which I thought didn’t need any particular enhancing. Well, at least, he still retains his deep, cool voice. The music itself is filled with – you guessed it – more electro-synth. With it, the music makes for a good song to headbang/dive at lives.

[2019.04.03][Single] DEZERT -  血液がない! (Ketsueki ga Nai!) / Call of Rescue 

I hadn’t listened to DEZERT before this, but I’ve read that they used to play nu-metal pulling influences from the likes of Kagerou and MUCC. This particular single is more of a rock-pop affair, which is fine with me, although I guess for diehard DEZERT fans, who loved their nu-metal style, might not get a kick out of this single. It’s hard to explain, but the singer has an undeniably smooth voice that didn’t grate against my ears. While it’s nothing innovating, it was nice to hear the high-pitched tones and pleasant sounds coming from the guitars. Otherwise, it’s your classic rock-pop genre song, which almost made me think that it could fit perfectly for some kind of anime opening/ending theme song.

[2019.04.03][Best-of Album] Royz - The BEST 2009-2019 [Type B]

After listening to this album, I had mixed feelings about it. I quite enjoyed songs like 'No Fate' and 'Anniversary', however, most of the album felt... empty? No doubt, I was thrilled to hear some of my favorite classic Royz songs in its remastered version. Usually, when a track gets the re-recorded treatment, it sounds better (at least that's the intent). Now, nothing innately about these songs are horrible or unbearable. In fact, I tapped my feet to some of the songs. But many of the tracks simply feel like they were just there. I have read people saying how the nefarious, blood-sucking BPR - the record label Royz is signed on with - demands tireless schedules from their bands (i.e. almost non-stop constant releases, recording YT videos, lives, etc). If that truly is the case, which I suspect is the most likely scenario, then the overall quality of this album represents the hectic schedule. I felt this could have been a great release, but the album feels as though it falls short. Also, it's not a negative comment, but it was weird not hearing a second guitar playing in some of the older songs. I'm so used to Kazuki's playing, lol. If you've never listened to Royz, I'd recommend checking out this album, and then going back to check out the original releases if you can XD

[2019.04.03][Single] アクメ (ACME) - 放課後の飼育 

As usual, Chisa's strong vocal chords are a thumbs up for me. The songs heavy and hard-hitting were entertaining, and the lives songs were all right as well. Even though the title was ridiculous looking, my favorite song on here is "Senkou" since it caught my attention. After listening to this release once, though, I feel it sounds more of the same from their last single. I hope ACME expands upon their music because there is potential for them to sound even better.

[2019.04.10][Single] ラク×ガキ (RakuxGaki) - チューチューチェリーヴァンパイア (Chu Chu Cherry Vampire)

When I first listened to their PV, I thought it was intriguing, and when I headed over to give the single a try, I came away not knowing how to describe what I felt. The single moved all over the place with its intense chugging, unexpected breakdowns, and seemingly arbitrarily inserted oshare kei elements. Despite this motley clusterfuck, the band didn't stray away from their bizarre recipe and sound like five different bands in one release. They managed to remain intact and produce a characteristically quirky sound. I'd call this release a rollercoaster of fun, disorderly music that has a slight bit of seriousness tacked inside of the madness. Definitely give it a listen if you like mind-boggling, but zesty songs.

[2019.04.11][Album] Scarlet Valse - Metamorphosis

Another Starwave band that has managed to survive the purge. Aside from my sarcasm, the album felt like an obligatory mix of every song type: ballad, jazzy, heavy, light, etc. The direction of the album zigzaged all over place yet it somehow retained the band's sense of identity. The guitars were unmistakably them and the vocalist remained the same throughout. Not sure if it's a good thing, but I'd like to think so.

[2019.04.13][Album] Jupiter -  Zeus ~Legends Never Die~

I've heard good and bad opinions about this album from different people, and I think I'm somewhere along the middle. Honestly, I think it was an ambitious attempt by Hizaki, with the new singer, Kuze, to put out an album. And for that, I commend him for his efforts. As for the actual songs, there was nothing offensive or inherently cringeworthy. However, I did feel there were moments in which I thought I was listening to music being played by Versailles. It was not so much Kuze's fault, but rather some of the guitar solos. I'm not sure if Hizaki (or Teru, not sure in this case) feel afraid to branch out of that style. Even though they have veered more into a Western metal symphonic style, I feel the band still grasps straws at the remnants of Versailles. On its own, I think it's a fine album, but with so much history involved, especially with Hizaki, I think the album suffers a bit. Musically solid, but... something fresh would be a nice change of pace, too.

[2019.04.17][Single] DADAROMA - デンドロビューム (Dendrobium)

I'm not knowledgeable about any prior releases this band made except for what I've read and seen from people's comments. This single mixed in the ever wonderful ingredients of electro-synths. If there is a strong point to this single, it would definitely be Yoshiatsu's voice. His vocals are aptly distinct and really stood out to me. The music is serviceable, but probably could be a notch better.

[2019.04.28][Mini-Album] NAZARE - 荊海 BEYOND

Not too much different from their last live-limited album - gloomy and murky. The vocalist growls and squeals, capturing the emotional ferocity and fervor packed into this release. As seems to be the trend, they also incorporated a song with synths, which isn't actually too bad since they manage to retain their sound without crashing into a bottomless pit of monotonous music. So far, my favorite songs are "neglect", "Break it down", and "無慈悲な蒼空". Even though parts of a piece may tread into a lighter-sounding territory, NAZARE never fails to return to its darker roots, which they established from the start. Check it out if you're a fan of NAZARE.

[2019.04.30][Single] アスティ (Asty) - もふもふラビット (Mofu Mofu Rabbit)

The A-side song, もふもふラビット, gives off a swing-like, jazzy vibe as if you've walked into a lively blues club, although twisted with a bit of VK and rabbits. Takeru's signature oddly semi-high pitched voice lends the song a playful, curious atmosphere within this blast of vivacious melody. As the lead song, it captures my attention even long after I've listened to it. "DAYBREAK" was an unexpected one as Takeru (I believe) pulls off a growl longer than one second. Unlike the light-hearted A-side, this B-side track isn't afraid of treading into "darker" territory with its faster tempos, clearly highlighted by the rapid speed into which the notes are firing off from the instruments. As seems to be quite common with VK nowadays, "DAYBREAK" and "未来予報" incorporate synths that serve as tools to convey the message and feeling of songs. It's nothing against Asty personally, although I feel this incorporation can be redundant and tiring if not properly weaved into any given songs. In either case, a good single with some character and fun.

[2019.05.11][Single] 蘭図 (Rands) - Leda Atomica

It started out with a beautiful piano opening track just like the last mini-album. The single then flows right into its lead song, Leda Atomica. The most unforgettable song was マリーにさよなら, mainly because of its frantic, tumultuous guitar parts. Karma’s voice is a bit shaky, but it’s nothing new to the listeners who are fans of him. The ballad song was nice as well.

[2019.06.19][Album] Deviloof - 鬼 (Oni)

The deathcore/metalcore influences is no secret for this band as the album is riddled chock full of songs containing elements from these genres. I should say off the bat that I have nothing against these genres and, at times, enjoy listening to it. However, I felt this album, which had the potential to be an awesome banger and throw this band off the charts, felt like... just another release? To me, one of best parts was the first instrumental -妖- because of its inclusion of Asian/Japan-esque themes. Otherwise, it was a decent, crisp album with an obviously amazing vocalist who could belch out those harsh vocals. Perhaps I need time to let this album grow on me.

This is somewhat listenable. - 2.5/5

[2019.04.03][Mini-Album/EP] Sigma Memoria - PSYCHOPATH

I know nothing about this band, but uh... I had a hard time sitting down and listening to this whole release. I don't think there is inherently bad about this mini-album because I genuinely enjoyed the guitar parts worked into the tracks. (In fact, I think those were the best parts of the mini-album.) And even though some might complain about the singer's voice, I'm all down for weird voices because VK is made up of singers who have wonky, but lovely voices. On the whole, I'm not sure what it is, but I couldn't remember much else memorable aside from the singer and guitar parts. Crossing my fingers that this band will create an even better release next time.

This is okay. I think. - 2/5

[2019.04.05][Album] CHOKE - CHOKE2

Eesh, let's start with the positives. This album was ambitious and bold to swerve around into different kinds of music genres and styles. Furthermore, there were some sick rapping parts (which the singer actually sounded good) and low beats that had me tapping my foot. Also, the album cover artwork had that comic feeling, which is nice compared to the usual stock photos sometimes used. These are the best parts of the album. The rest... Eee, where do I start? It's not an atrocious album because I can tell a lot of time and meditation went into this album. Perhaps it's because I am not a professional musician, but I had a hard time understanding the flow of the album and where it was taking me. If this was supposed to be a rocky journey fulls of wacky turns, then the album succeed in accomplishing that. In the end, it's not a horrible album, but it most likely doesn't jive with my ears. 

This is not a total cesspool... yet. - 1.5/5

This is - Wait, what the heck did I just listen to? - 1/5

VK Release List (Uh, yeah, a huge backlog XD)

Spoiler

[2019.01.16][Album] Vexent - CHAIN

[2019.01.16][Single] ネオグラフ (Neograph) -『MOMENT』

[2019.01.30][Mini-Album] MEIDARA - 鬼 来

[2019.02.13][Album] MUCC - 壊れたピアノとリビングデッド (Kowareta Piano to Living Dead)

[2019.03.19][Live-Distributed Single] NetherGarden122 - RED LINE

[2019.04.02][Live-Distributed Single] Chain×maiL - 置手紙

[2019.04.03][Single] ABOO - サクラホロウ (Sakura Hollow)

[2019.04.21][Single] Roze - Howl

[2019.05.01][Mini-Album] 0801弐209XX6 - X (AAC)

[2019.05.03][Mini-Album] 魅裟 - a rotten apple spoils the barrel

[2019.05.09][Single] ネオグラフ (Neograph) - 消えてよセレナーデ (Kiete yo Serenade)

[2019.05.17][Live-Distributed Mini-Album] Unfinish - Unfinish

[2019.05.24][Album] sukekiyo - INFINITIUM

[2019.06.05][Single] Develop One's Faculties - ephemeral

[2019.06.05][Mini-Album] SHIVA - 窒息に遊ぶ (Chissoku ni asobu)

[2019.06.08][Single] マチルダ (Mathilda) - タガアナイフ (Tag a Knife)

[2019.06.19][Album] ENVYL - 白×黒 (Shiro x Kuro)

[2019.06.19][Mini-Album] アルケミ (ARCHEMI.) - 血塗れ菩薩 (Chimamire Bosatsu)

[2019.06.19][Single] MonstlloW - KERBEROS

[2019.06.23][Album] Kaya - Dress

[2019.06.26][Album] RAZOR - 千年ノ調べ (Chitose no shirabe)

[2019.06.26][Single] ドレミ・ファ (Doremifa) - 雨玉曲第6番

[2019.06.26][Single] Kousai Ravel - Howling

[2019.07.03][Best-of Album] 蜉蝣(Kagerou) - 蜉蝣COMPLETE<1999-2007>

[2019.07.03][Single] NAZARE - IDEAL

[2019.07.09][Single] HAKLO - 曖昧アイデンティティ (Aimai Identity)

[2019.07.10][Single] 己龍 (Kiryu) - 手纏ノ端無キガ如シ (Tamaki no Hashina Kigagotoshi)

[2019.07.10][Single] アクメ (ACME) - モノノケレクイエム (Mononoke Requiem)

[2019.07.17][Single] REIGN - Absolute 14

[2019.07.17][Mini-album] Frantic EMIRY〜second crisis〜 - EDEN

[2019.07.17][Single] SCAPEGOAT - 縁 (En)

[2019.07.24][Album] Rides In ReVellion - Re:Vellion

[2019.07.24][Single] 零[Hz] (Zero Hertz) - The DOPERA

[2019.07.24][Single] ラク×ガキ (RakuxGaku) - バッドラッカー (Bad Lucker)

[2019.07.24][Single] Kamijo - Eye of Providence

[2019.07.24][Single] ザアザア (Xaa-Xaa) -  破裂 (Haretsu)

[2019.08.28][Single] ギャロ (THE GALLO) - VITCH

[2019.08.xx][Single] Verxina - Unknown Title

Edited by monkeybanana4
2019.07.10 updated reviews, 2019.07.11 updated 'release' list

I'll try it too this year if i don't forget halfway through

Spoiler

5/5 mmmmmh yeah that's some good shit right there

12.01.19 Nazare - Jingai

24.01.19 Mili x FUZI – Victim

13.02.19 MUCC - Kowareta piano to living dead

4/5 good stuff

-> Good album as a whole but no particularly remarkable tracks:

02.01.19 Mili - Within

08.01.19 Rands - Inferiority Complex & Narcissism

09.01.19 ACME - Last One Show

14.01.19 cali gari - 14

13.01.10 amazarashi - Sayounara Gokko

-> Some really good tracks but not impressive as a whole:

09.01.19 POIDOL – Lips

09.01.19 labaiser – Folklore

3/5 it's not bad but probably won't listen to again/ not my taste

07.01.19 DEZERMUCC - Mushi / Gacha gacha Muku Muku

09.01.19 FIXER - FIXER II

30.01.19 Arlequin - RAZZLE DAZZLE

03.02.19 Wing Works - ENTITY

06.02.19 HYDE ft. YOSHIKI – Zipang

11.02.19 Insanity Injection - Victim

2/5 totally not memorable

1/5 8p-sb – Ghost Hotel

Edited by Deremie

I managed to keep up last year :D Let's continue.

Spoiler

Constantly on replay

[23/01/19] ペンタゴン -「カルチャーショック」

[11/01/2019] Cö Shu Nie - Zettai Zetsumei

[9/05/2019] BABYMETAL - Elevator Girl

Pretty good

[27/02/19] マチルダ - 人魚の森

[05/05/2019] Tokyo Gegegegay - KIRAKIRA 1PAGE

[xxxxx/2019]DEZERT/MUCC - 蟲/ガチャガチャムクムク 

[12/01/2019] NAZARE - 荊海

[19/3/19] キズ -  平成 

[10/4/19] ラク x ガキ -チューチューチェリーヴァンパイア

[28/05/2019] gulu gulu - 変なメリーゴーランド

It's Inbetween

[08/05/2019] THE GALLO - DEATHTOPIA

[20/03/2019] Repeat - tricot

It's mediocre 

[17/04/2019] DADAROMA - デンドロビューム

[30/01/2019] アルルカン - ラズルダズル

[08/01/2019]  蘭図 (Rands) - Inferiority Complex & Narcissism

It makes my ears uncomfortable

[28/05/2019] Red Velvet -『SAPPY』

Tried it, Binned it

[06/03/2019] MIMIZUQ - Namida QUARTET 

Spoiler

Waiting list

[20/03/2019 ]ヴィルシーナ - 教典 

[27/03/19] ユメリープ - マクロマター

[2019.03.20] ザアザア - 死んじゃったポチの話  

[27/03/19] まみれた - weekly 絶倫マンション 

[24/04/2019] The THIRTEEN - ALONE

[05/06/19] DIMLIM - 離人

[24/05/19] sukekiyo - INFINITUM

Last update: 08/06/2019

Hopefully I can keep it up for this year, but I surely won't listen to many bands, but here is what I listen too.

Kousai Ravel - Mousou Rabbit :2.5: 
(I still think that the vocalist isn't a good vocalist, but musically they are alright)

i.D.A - 神話双星記 :5.0: (I prefer i.D.A above NETH)

NETH PRIER CAIN - 神話双星記 :5.0:

蘭図 (Rands) - Inferiority Complex & Narcissism :2.0:
It's listenable, nothing special, lot's of looping melody, it's smooth, that's all, but 100% not a WOW thing.

Edited by BrenGun

I actually never clicked on last year's thread so I didn't know this was a thing. :D Sounds nice, I'll keep tabs this year for sure.

Spoiler

Stuff I listened to:

[2018.12.19 / 2019.01.14] cali≠gari - 14  :4.0:

[2019.01.08] 蘭図 - Inferiority Complex & Narcissism  :3.5:

[2019.01.16] 仮病 - 毒針  :2.5:

[2019.02.06] SPARTA LOCALS - underground  :4.5:

[2019.02.13] DIAURA - DEFINITION  :3.0:

[2019.02.13] MUCC - 壊れたピアノとリビングデッド  :3.0:

[2019.03.13] RAZOR - Undo  :4.0:

[2019.03.13] THE NOVEMBERS - ANGELS  :4.5:

[2019.03.19] キズ - 平成  :3.0:

[2019.03.20] La'veil MizeriA - 悲虐色ノ終焉  :4.5:

[2019.03.20] ヴィルシーナ - 教典  :4.0:

[2019.03.20] ザアザア - 死んじゃったポチの話  :3.5:

[2019.04.10] ラク×ガキ - チューチューチェリーヴァンパイア  :3.5:

[2019.04.17] MERRY - for Japanese sheeple  :3.0:

[2019.05.11] 蘭図 - Leda Atomica  :3.5:

[2019.05.22] D'ERLANGER - roneve  :2.5:

[2019.05.24] sukekiyo - INFINITUM  :4.0:

[2019.05.28] gulu gulu - 変なメリーゴーランド  :3.0:

[2019.06.05] DIMLIM - 離人  :3.0:

Spoiler

Stuff I'm interested in:

[2019.06.26] RAZOR - 千年ノ調べ

[2019.07.24] ラク×ガキ - バッドラッカー

Adding a non-Japanese section too, just to keep track of things...

Spoiler

Non-Jp stuff I'm interested in:

[2019.08.16] Devourment - Obscene Majesty

Non-Jp stuff I enjoyed:

[2019.02.01] Boy Harsher - Careful

[2019.02.15] Truchło Strzygi - Nad Którymi Nie Czuwa Żaden Stróż

[2019.02.15] Véhémence - Par le sang versé

[2019.02.25] Malhkebre - Satanic Resistance

[2019.03.01] Drastus - La croix de sang

[2019.03.01] Test Dept. - Disturbance

[2019.03.01] While She Sleeps - So What?

[2019.03.22] Tamaryn - Dreaming the Dark

[2019.03.29] Billie Eilish - WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO?

[2019.05.10] Idle Hands - Mana

[2019.05.10] Sühnopfer - Hic Regnant Borbonii Manes

[2019.05.17] Rammstein - Rammstein

[2019.05.17] Tyler, the Creator - IGOR

[2019.05.18] Ares Kingdom - By the Light of Their Destruction

[2019.05.31] Darkthrone - Old Star

[2019.05.31] Gaahls WYRD - GastiR - Ghosts Invited

[2019.05.31] She Past Away - Disko Anksiyete

[2019.07.12] Disentomb - The Decaying Light

[2019.07.14] Guttural Slug - Plague of Filth

Edited by Jigsaw9

rating:

Spoiler

★★★★★ i live for it

[19.01.12] NAZARE - 荊海

[19.03.13] コドモドラゴン - テグラマグラ🙏🙏🙏

[19.03.19] キズ  - 平成

★★★★☆ that's good

[19.01.30] MEIDARA - 鬼来

CUTE! release has its bad moments there as i predicted, but i can live with it.

[19.01.14] cali≠gari - 14

[19.01.16] 仮病 (Kebyou) - 毒針 (Dokushin)

[19.03.27] Hueye - 優しく殺して

that voice! this band is promising.

[19.04.05] ラク×ガキ - 地球外生命体

[19.04.28] NAZARE - 荊海 BEYOND

[19.4.10] ヴァージュ - Gracia-ガラシャ-

★★★☆☆ i'll keep a song or two

[19.02.27] 零[Hz] – ZELM

very mixed feelings. 3 songs are just great, but the other ones seemed really, really bad to me...

[19.02.06] BULL FIELD - BATTLE FIELD

okay so me and my unconditional love for ni〜ya were prepared to the overwhelming mediocrity and that was exactly what we got. to give this project credit, it sounds very niya-ish, as interview in RR says, he's not sakito to expect something sophisticated. so yeah, it fits him perfectly - simple music, he roared something a couple of times (he's a brutal bassist after all okay), everything in its place. i love his bass playing style - ni〜ya is skilled, but he never shows off. his vocal is plain, as sakito's is, but im not surprised a little bit. this release confirms my thoughts that naito shine their brightest only being together, but im happy to see them active. i can't give it more than 3/5, but you know what - the moment when i heard singing voice of a man i've been fan of for more then 10 years was iconic.

[18.12.26] R指定 - EROGRO

okay with time the second song grew on me but they could do it so much better. meh.

[2019.05.07] グラビティ - 一生 + TAX

[19.01.08] 蘭図  - Inferiority Complex & Narcissism

[19.02.13] DIAURA - DEFINITION

★★☆☆☆ not my thing

[19.01.23] ペンタゴン -「カルチャーショック

the main song is actually good but too poppy and polished for me to listen. b-sides are uta no prince-sama material. overall verdict: weak, but i must give pentagon a credit - culture shock is their first listenable track for me.

[19.01.10] ゼツ - おもちゃ

not bad for a first demo, but i don't need just another one not bad menhera song

[19.01.23] SYU - Vorvados

i tried to listen to that classic rRroCk again and i still dont like it. 

[19.02.27] マチルダ - 人魚の森

first songs are pretty good, but i wish they were put together better. the band has potential, but now it's a mess

[19.04.05] CHOKE - CHOKE2

they are pretty good i guess, but that genre is not my cup of tea

[19.03.20] ヴィルシーナ - 教典

I liked only the main song and 依存, which appeared on previous release already, so it doesn't even count. the songs are listenable but pretty boring, couple of them are literally ruined by that fucking synth almost every band puts in their songs nowadays. in spite of that, sampling in SEs and some songs was really cool, kudos to that. i think giving them 2/5 is a bit too harsh, but i expected much more since there is hype around them.

[19.03.20] ザアザア - 「死んじゃったポチの話」

First two songs are nice but not to my liking, the third one is for lives obviously. I thought xaa-xaa were worse!

[19.04.17] ゲルニカ - blast

The song is pretty nice but not memorable enough to keep in my playlist

[19.05.01] R指定 - フラッシュバック

★☆☆☆☆ that's bad but not hopeless. maybe next time...

[19.03.03] RAZOR - Undo

oh no no no no. idk what genre is it but i can't stand that kind of western music and when japanese copycat it it's even more pathetic. no. main song is okay more or less (shoutout to vocalists's quick vibrato), but i don't care much for it.

[19.02.14] CLACK inc - 夜、屋上。

[19.04.03] ACME - 放課後の飼育

I remember Chisa from Vettic so I'm really glad he's going on! But this release is bad. The main song pretends to sound trendy but these synths are a joke. Other three songs on the release are good for nothing, nothing would've changed if they didn't exist at all.

[19.05.11] 蘭図 - Leda Atomica

☆☆☆☆☆ ok bye

[19.02.06] GARAK'S – POCHI

[19.02.13] 午前零時。- 好き好き大好き超愛してる。 

i kinda like their creepy cute concept so i tried hard to get into it, but i couldn't. is that because of the voice which is bland and uninspiring? maybe so.

[19.03.27] ユメリープ - マクロマター

[19.05.01] Royz - IGNITE

waiting list:

Spoiler

[19 spring] MERRY - for Japanese sheeple

[19.06.05] DIMLIM - 離人

Edited by yomii

This time, I'll hold it all the year ! (no)

Spoiler

ALBUM - SINGLE (or EP depends of the number and time of tracks) - MINI-ALBUM (or EP depends of the number and time of tracks)

★★★★★ -From very very good to REAL MASTERPIECE-

[2019.01.16] King Gnu - Sympa

★★★★☆ -From Good to Really Good-

[2019.02.06] THE NOVEMBERS - DOWN TO HEAVEN

★★★☆☆ -From OK to Nice but not enough for a 4/5-

[2019.01.25] rib hiat motel - Nude.

★★☆☆☆ -From Meh to Maybe some good things but not memorable at all to-

★☆☆☆☆ -I haven't finished that I'm already bored-

WAITING LIST

[2019.01.14] 空きっ腹に酒 (Sukippara ni Sake) - 泥.ep (Doro.ep)

[2019.01.25] MONO - Nowhere Now Here

[2019.01.30] Base Ball Bear - ポラリス (Polaris)

[2019.02.06] ドミコ (domico) - Nice Body?

[2019.02.06] Sparta Locals - underground

[2019.02.13] amazarashi - さよならごっこ (Sayonara Gokko)

[2019.00.00] THE NOVEMBERS - ANGELS

-edit-

01/18 : As I expected, King Gnu's first major album is clearly a amazing album, I wasn't bored one minute !

Edited by SoulTheBaka

Getting in on this hype so I can actually remember what came out this year and be persuaded to listen to more shit in the process yas. For now it's only the name of the release with a short description. New categories, scores and dates being added in the future.

Spoiler

GOOD

蘭図 - Inferiority Complex Genuine old school sound and vibes with song variety and Karma. Shows a lot of promise, at its best when total kuroyume worship. Nice

EH

DEZERT/MUCC - 蟲/ガチャガチャムクムク This might get knocked down to shit. DEZERT plays a very MUCC-esque song ( just goes to show how strong the influence is, because the stuff right before and during the chorus is totes MUCC ) with X-Japan sections, a pounding nu metal intro and sweet nostalgic sounding chorus that these two bands are kind of known for. MUCC on the other hand does something that sounds pretty much like you'd expect them to at their most, MUCC-like at this stage. I don't know if either band is capable of better music than this at the respective stages of their career with the other sounding like an UNiTE B-side while encroaching their 50's while the other is like a loaf of wonderbread left out in the rain, but despite of that both of these bands suck now and that's it pretty much it. Still not an offensive release, or I'm not sure maybe it is...

MUCC - 壊れたピアノとリビングデッド If anything, the new MUCC album is a reminder that miracles can and do happen, and while it's a infinitesimally unlikely to see a long out-of-touch veteran band to kick open the door again, it's at least possible that they'll politely knock on it and open when answered. What I especially like about this album are the clear signs of some veteran savvy and experience which allows them to employ these small experimentations here and there that a young and hungry band can't really pull off without trying to blow over the entire house in the process ( which is of course, to their benefit usually. ) The dub section in the third track, subtle novelty instrument touch on the chorus of the fourth track and so on just employing a wide range of techniques in general. It's not the didgeridoo and triangle up the ass album that some idiots hoped for, and it's not the supposed return of nearly 50 year old men to dabble in an angry young mans game, but it is at the very least a statement that instead of genre hopping from novelty to novelty, from trend to trend like frogs at a pond, MUCC can put everything together and develop organically without embarrassing themselves any further that they already had. 

ACME - Last One Show A strong fucking outing. Absolutely the best kind of music that you can get with this style, kind of like what DIV was at their peak. Lighter contemporary vk with just the right amount of dabbling in metalcore for some colour with respectable musicianship is what takes this over the top and honestly aside from Pentagon's best moments and peak Anfiel, I can't name anything better in the style that's around right now. Chisa's fucking great in this too and it takes me back to the first time I listened to that DIV album with the bird on the cover. Good stuff, but what keeps this down at EH is that it's still unfortunately the kind of vk I find corrosive to the true spirit of the filthy kind of vk that I'm looking for. Totally the best this kind of shit around tho.  

キズ - 平成 A band I expected to fly straight into the good ends up stunted at the respectable yet not quite there eh. The production is already infamous and it well and truly is just shit. The lead guitar kind of buzzes along as this wall of noise that you can't even hear properly unless you want to destroy your hearing in the process, and even when it's tolerable it is just kind of retarded. I mean, in the third track the gimmick just consists of spastic left and right panning of the guitar! But the songs themselves are for the large part quite alright Kizu B-sides, the A-side included, which means it's their "worst", or most insignificant rather, to date. 東京 the middle of the road snoozer has the distinction of being their least inventive track thus far, completely carried by the vocal melody while the production is trying to hide the shitty riffs panning them somewhere in the far back-left. With all that said tho, Kizu is still a great band with loads of spirit and energy and very able musicians. Now we've just hit the first bump on the road after they kept getting more ambitious with each successive release. 

edit: Heisei is a banger. The PV release was brilliant and after reading the lyrics the song I think I've finally caught some wind on what they were going for here. An appropriately melancholic send-off for the Heisei period towards an uncertain future in which our cries for dignity keep on being unanswered.

コドモドラゴン - テグラマグラ  The fourth album from a good, albeit flawed band that's easy to like but hard to love, because every time I you want to wrap your arms around them, they pull out the rug from under you. What I mean by that is that they always wimp out at the worst possible times, never committing to the extremes of their sound whenever they hint at doing it. It's vk though, and I'm just projecting. In reality they just do their thing with a distinct style of riffing and vocal performance that occasionally makes them sound more savage than any genericore band like Deviloof and etc. Most of the singles here except the one from the mini shred, even the ballad kind of, and the new songs are okay too! This album is a little bit of a turning back the clock from the mediocre and wimpy WOLFMAN even if it doesn't touch the peaks of their early stuff; and you know maybe they share a lot of similarities with the bands I've filed under shit before, but fuck you I'm partial towards them. At their best, it's some of the most vicious music in the scene. 

RAZOR - Undo Imagine Ryoga with real musicians instead of the mickey mouse crew from Born putting out stuff that's kind of along the lines of ACME's Last One Show in a way; lots of section coming and going with blazing speed with Gazette and Lack-co and the likes as the most accurate reference point.  The title track is A+ with the two B-sides veering a bit into the generizette in sound, although rescued by some fun and genuinely creative derivates from the formula, like the breakdown in ADEPT for example. Anyway, shit ain't special but that doesn't mean it isn't working. Good effort from a band that may just go to places if they keep exploring their sound and eventually expand their creative horizons. 

ザアザア - 「死んじゃったポチの話」通常盤 This fucking band is so consistently veering from the wrong side to the right one, and then back again. Sometimes MUCC, at others late Kagerou and then it's some indie shit and then they come out chugging. If I had vested more time into them I'd probably be able to discern some consistency on their part, but as someone firmly on the outside it's hard. Anyway, this thing does nothing wrong. They're able and quite creative especially for this environment when bands either choose to chug or be a dreadful bore, these guys mix things up by apparently releasing a single with a six and a half minute A-side that unlike the majority of the genre does kind of through places; resolve its conflict and accelerating to a release by the end of it. The most obvious comparisons are MUCC's long ballads from their first four albums, which however can be misleading since this is as xaa-xaa as it comes. The second track could've been an A-side in itself with a more traditional structure and spotlight being largely on its chorus;  and it's still very sweet and the kind of xaa-xaa that's easy to love. The third track is the most nothing out of the bunch, but dude who cares it's better than gozenreiji and all that shit. The closest thing we got to art-kei right now actually? Probably. 

己龍 - 閃光 What can you say about them at this point that hasn't been oft enough repeated the past few years? Some of the best musicians of the scene stand their ground in mediocrity with their talents painfully underutilised. As usual, every once in a while you can catch a glimmer of light shining through somewhere amid the chinese restaurant OST synths that somehow still persist in visual kei like herpes, breaking out when the body is under emotional or physical duress. That said, this is for them a fairly solid single with the A-side being the weakest of the bunch ( but it does have a riff for once! surely on the account of it having been lifted from their older material ) and B-sides making up for it stride. The third track even takes me back to some of their earliest stuff, being a bit more macabre and a bit more varied in instrumentation; actually not even a bit, the seemingly pleasant riffs betray the sinister intents that the vocals come outright with; but as usual with Kiryu the only one sinister here is BP records and the ones betraying me is Kiryu, because surely the next batch of DVD's and singles have already been announced and band the band is hard at work scouring through the members past compositions in order to fill up the BP release quota. Long story short; good single, doesn't touch their peak but doesn't go into the depths either; even at their best now they're just so fucking formulaic and neat & tidy that the more braver sections of the third and fourth track do not provide much comfort. 

ラク×ガキ - 視聴動画 This band tricked me and they have are def occupying a EH+ GOOD - space. This band is using a lot of potentially dangerous elements to make something that somehow sneaks into my bias. For a band so new their vocal melodies are so refined that they must've stolen them from somewhere, and I'm quite fine with it. It's this mix of pop punk melodies with this nu metal menhera sound and more than a healthy portion of influence from Maximum the Hormone ( par for the course in vk ) that when standing on their own crumble like a house of cards, have now found a way to support each other and co-exist harmoniously. Excited for the future because it can go p much in any direction. 

R指定 - フラッシュバック I totally understand people who don't like this band. They're almost what I'd call deceptively generic and it requires either further listenings to understand what's going on here, or enough listenings and open-mindedness to become partial towards it. Mamo's a simple guy who while doing a very simple guy oozes some sort of charisma that makes you think that conceptually they're trying to go somewhere; and the same can be said about the songs and the rest of the guys performing them as well. It's a very sweet and youthful sound, quite simple and I'd even call them a little bit ambitious at times. You can rest assured that when they put out something there's at least a hint of Dir en grey-esque aspirations filtered through their own sound and concept. Idk, it's nice even if this isn't their best work and whether I'm reading between the lines or filling up gaping holes I don't care much to find out. It's the definition of the EH category right now as it stands. 

The THIRTEEN - ALONE/アローン First I have to confess to being ignorant to this bands discography at large and how their sound has progressed the last three years; but even to the ignorant it's clear as day that they've progressed, like, a lot. The THIRTEEN of ALONE/アローン shares close to nil discernible similarities with the band that made CHAINSAW or Liar Liar. I still remember when those came out and as if the general forum goer on here wasn't tired of Sadie enough, it turns out that Mao's next career move was to delve even deeper into the Dir en grey bag of shit and the visual kei ouroboros would've finally been complete; the "neo visual" is doomed to repeat itself, in perpetual mediociry, forever. Cue to late last year and all the sudden those who've been out of the loop begin to see the people who've bothered to follow the band becoming more cautiously positive. Comparisons to Sukekiyo was enough to arouse a morbid curiosity, like at least after all this time I'd be kind of funny to hear Mao do this like when they did Madara. It was kind of new and kind of ok, so off I went to my surprise it wasn't that bad at all at least as far as nu-vk goes. It was actually kind of mind-blowing to hear them being genuinely ambitious so instead of focusing on questionable stylistic choices and still leering mediocrity, I become more interested in them the more I heard of them. Now on ALONE/アローン I think they've managed to round out a lot of the rougher edges like corny pianos and the rest of it that's endemic in shitty visual being gradually purged out of their music release by release. The best moments here are the ones that call to mind more Sukekiyo than say, the Chainsaw. alone without equal is genuinely awesome and it makes them sound far more technically able than they've shown in the past, and 悪女 even has a moments that's pretty liberally influenced by a song on ADORATIO. This is definitely EH territory on the account that the heights we're talking about are few and rather far in-between, but the potential in this band is here, and should this upward surge continue then we can honestly except them to be a force maybe in an years time. I don't think anyone would have ever imagined Mao to front a band that could be called a real art-kei™ successor but with A Matter of Life and Death and alone against all, here we are.

ユメリープ - まくろまたー Scrolling through all these I'm seeing a theme when it comes to the visual kei vocalists in 2019: phlegmatic, monotonous, boring; stand back and make room for the king of the visual yard. This guy is so fucking flat and one note it transcends any "traditional" of looking at it. Yumeleep is all about that life and it has no qualms about what it is, and that's evident since this is a band that's perfectly in control of its faculties and whatever it does I'm sure is calculated as a specific stylistic decision, much more than Melvel ever was.  まくろまたー follows as a continuation of the sound they've established first PV onwards, and I have to wonder just how much longer they can keep going doing the same stuff. Whatever the case may be, they're still in their own way a refuge from the totally oversaturated genericore riff market and while the wander on that real estate as well, everything is repurposed into fitting their own image. A total character so Yumeleep comes recommended. If you need to find out what they're like then I suggest looking at the cover art and searching out a PV or two, and after that this mini is a good place to start. A technical improvement in a style that while nice and certainly unique, also has an expiration date looming dangerously close overhead. 

SHIT

アルルカン - ラズルダズル Who likes this shit, like for real though? I remember when they started that their was just the craziness of it all, and that they were probably the most over the top band in their style with all these electronic sounds and breakdowns and nasty screaming and vocal effects that were about x2 more intense than usual at that time. That was then, this is where we're at now. The ferocity is gone, other bands caught up, the vocalist is too one note to actually feign enough talent to carry a song with more aspirations than to just bang, and even if they wanted to bang they can't, 'cause they're old and their dicks don't work. Avoid. 

ペンタゴン - カルチャーショック This is almost borderline eh territory. I will explain myself by saying that they have character and some dynamic movement within the framework they've set; a framework which they themselves have already moved a couple of times between LP's, but now I've suppose they've settled themselves down to a niche after some identity searching during their early years. I like annoying music and I think it definitely serves a purpose to be annoying... It's just that the whoo-oohs I have no patience for despite that they do with the cheekier mood of the title track with the chorus holding everything together. I suppose for late Pentagon it's one of their stronger tracks and if they keep it like this I'll give them a certain degree of respect for it, which they will certainly go off to lose by phoning in two meandering, who gives a fuck B-sides. Track number 2 especially my god snooze. Again, who likes this shit? Fuck these guys for wasting the potential they had around the second album & subsequent EP. Narcolepsy in music.

POIDOL - LIPS It's funny that I already started writing this under the "shit" category before I even started the first song. How long will we hear this guitar tone and these riffs in VK by the way? Imagine Codomo Dragon with no personality and being more flirtatious with the Royz-esqueness of this sound and you got something like what the ghost writers of POIDOL envisaged. The cause of POIDOL is to arouse and be fun and to these they've committed themselves to a respectable degree. Are they a little one note? Yes, but so is fucking Codomo most of the time and they make it work. Singer sounds cute, the second track is a prime cut from the style. Fuck it imma maybe bump this to EH. It's very pedestrian nature is off set by my personal bias to something like this. Rigid in its style and by its individual aspects  totally unremarkable, and yet I'd be a lying man if I said it didn't bang throughout its runtime at least a lil. 

NAZARE - 荊海 I had to think this over a few times before opting to place it under the shite category in order to maintain the integrity of this 2019 listening project. If I had to describe the sound of NAZARE, it's a distillation of the history of vk metalcore. In light of bands like Jiluka and DIMLIM it's definitely more restrained and traditional harkening back to more pre and turn of the 2010's metalcore bands instead of these super technical, overblown and clean djenty bands that've resorted to maximising all the tools in the toolkit like the aforementioned Jiluka. NAZARE can still get blazing fast and bang while just doing it in a way that sort of makes you think of the stuff we had still had around a few years back, not only in the riffs but because it just sounds a little rough in a good way. The vocalist puts in a performance that's 110% vk through and through, like the dude just sounds rough around the edges in a way that's vk to me, and this visual keiness of the band is emphasised even moreso during the times when they go for these nu-metal indebted Dir en grey-esque athmosphere building section in Judas and another DAY or bust out the melodramatic synth in 受難 in a way that really only vk bands do. So do I like it? At times yeah, but I think many and myself included are just so bored of this style when its so barebones. While new DIMLIM brings in a variety of elements from different places, NAZARE is all about dat life and when it bangs it does bang and sounds filthy while doing it. Unfortunately a lot of these moments are offset by NAZARE dabbling in some trite mid tempo moments and there is even a weak ballad in the mix. I just get bored of this stuff pretty quick, and it's not doing anything groundbreaking or particularly interesting for me to have any respect towards it musically. Just Issei doing Issei things with a decent crew backing him. NAZARE won't make converts, but fans of the style should get something out of the highlights.

アスティ - 夢舞う大泥棒 It's a band like these when the line "all new vk sounds the same" feels like it could possibly hold some water. I mean god damn, what's the appeal of these guys? Chinese restaurant OST tier oriental gimmick with the same riffing style as all of the other fucking bands but just with less energy than the tippy top tier of the genre. The vocalist sounds cute sure, but the same can be said for the rest of the scene as well at this point when the scene has essentially become one large front for male prostitution. Deleted immediately after the first listen. Embarrassing that this middle of the road nothing shit has fans. 

Insanity Injection - Victim Looking at everything Kyouka's done since Aliene there's no way you'd ever imagine him being in a band that good that was not just good, but in some ways ahead of their time, or at the very least much in tune with it. 

And now, when you look at the cover of this single it looks like he got stuck in a time warp somewhere around the year 2001, and the music kinda sounds like it too. Oddly enough however, the music is actually made out of fairly decent elements and it could even be salvaged if recontextualised, but as it stands what we have here is a budget track made out of d'espairsray mallgoth vibes, Kyouka's impression of the eagles from birdemic and some early 2000's ranging from quite alright to a very bad interpretation of the worst things about D'espairsray. One pair of Kyouka mallgoth pants paired with a neon pink corset out of ten.  

マチルダ - キセキニイル The boys put out a mini and I'm looking for the eject button located somewhere in the Mathilda hype train cockpit. This band started out promising with a blistering mid 2000's riff reminiscent of prime Lolita237q and aicle vibes, only to disappoint ever since with limp wristed riffing and the inability to commit to the perverse, to the grotesque in a way this revival kei does when it's at its best. The first track is quite good with the rather phlegmatic vocal delivery being a nice touch and the final track doesn't totally disappoint either. Everything in the middle fails to convince with a lack of energy and character.  

DIAURA - DEFINITION Lame shit from a lame band doing lame stuff for years and years now, and of course since it's vk and nothing can happen the worst band ( sort of ) associated with AINS is the one to thrive and survive, or at least languish in its niche the longest. Corny synth blares and yo-ka covers himself to some of the worst riffing in the entire scene. Call if he ever hooks up with the guitarists from Valluna again. 

午前零時。 - 好き好き大好き超愛してる。 I'm a sucker for this aesthetic so it's a shame it doesn't hold over to the music itself. A stuffed, asphyxiating sound in all the wrong ways made even worse with the very phlegmatic vocals as monotonous as the guitar sound that just aren't it. At its best this style is done with the dynamic afforded by combining specific traits from all over the visual kei spectrum; vocal melodies from oshare with chugging guitars and 'round back again with jangling 90's guitar melodies in the bad. Gozenreiji adheres to the former two with such religiosity that it might as well had been read from a manual that while in theory I should be all over it, they just suck and have long ways to go despite an acceptable concept. 

MEIDARA - 鬼来 The thing that I can't in VK: chinese restaurant OST instrumentation. Excruciating to sit through this throughly witless and charmless record from a band that'll most certainly not be around in a couple years time. Almost made me think Memento Mori was a good band ( it wasn't ) 

ACME - 放課後の飼育 Okay, consider this a shit + or perhaps a eh - or something like that. ACME's second single of the year makes an ACME novice like myself already more familiar with the patters that are present here. This is a very technically able band that doesn't shy away from mixing things up, on the surface level that is. They're experts at making the same song with different kinds of flourishes that sound remarkably different yet eerily similar every time; it's like painting the sky every time with a different shade of blue, having it remain essentially the same yet distinctly different on the first glance; and while their first single shone somewhat bright with consistency of tone and its relatively brave style of being like a jacked-up mid period DIV, here what takes the single as an individual release down a notch is that it's just bad value. One new song, three live takes from a band that offers nothing in a live setting that translate over to an audio recording and oddly enough a english take of a song released prior. Is it 2008 again, or just an oddity from a band that while quite okay is at best just as unremarkable as the rest of the disparaged cast of 2019 visual kei. 

ゼツ - おもちゃ One of these again. You'll know exactly what I'm talking about once the 2019 genre tropes start rolling in, and despite not being particularly horrible on any front, I'd say that as a betting man I'd never wager on them being commercially or artistically successful in the foreseeable future.  Immediate removal from the music library. 

JUPITER - ZEUS For this one I've decided to try out another format of "review." Firstly, even before putting it on I've mentally relegated it to the SHIT category of my personal rating scale, and now it's 14.45 on the 12th of April and I'm about three and a half minutes deep into the second song of the album, the most obnoxiously Japanese power metal titled "Theory of Evolution," and so far there are no signs to me being wrong on my initial assessment of both Jupiter, this album and Hizaki's career in general. Really in the grand scheme of things his entire career trajectory was a slow, plodding escape from visual kei into emulating his western prog power metal heroes. What was visual kei in early Versailles is obviously gone without a trace other than in the fangirl pandering visuals probably only upheld in order to make ends meet for a band so painfully tacky and objectively generic in a style that's in general so exemplary in bad taste that it's pretty much without a rival. Hizaki can shred, this dude can imitate whoever he is imitating and I'm sure the other members are holding up their own ends as well, but fuck, when can we put the fans of this kind of music into camps far away from the general population? Who likes this kind of pompous, glittery rubbish? You call visual kei formulaic then what about this shit? The fourth track is rocking away them riffs and the vocalist goes whoooo; so I am to imagine that someone somewhere just went ahh? Who's that guy to whom is this is that, sort of expression of their soul or inner being so to speak, the kind of manifestation of what they're about, the shit they fuck whit. This is such fucking pathetically limp wristed noodling with the same faux rocking metal attitude and whenever it isn't sounding X it's only able to do this distinction by sounding like Fozzy. That first verse in Straight into the Fire, dude I mean fuck, can we even get Versailles back at this point. Who in 2019 gets excited about these shred solos that isn't fresh from the deepest jungles of Africa and hearing the guitar for the first time ever? Although banging sticks on rocks is liable to create more dignified and elevating music than this mickey mouse garbage. 

DEZERT - 「血液がない! / Call of Rescue」I think DEZERT gets misconstrued in the same way that a lot of visual kei bands do when they sell out. First of is that they weren't good because they were heavy, and at the state that they're in a return to nu-metal wouldn't change a thing; and then second that this shift was completely unprecedented. This band floundered through it's early years ripping off everybody as it shape-shifted from release to release with maybe the only consistent thing being Chiaki's voice, and that a lot of their subject matter revolved around eating fetuses and so on. In want of a better word I'll call this eroguro, which is probably appropriate since it's 110% a visual kei thing and nothing else. There's just no other genre of music that does these juxtapositions of heavy and cute, dark and sweet nostalgia, and obviously grotesque and quite humorous while also totally serious. This is what DEZERT lost, and they lost inch by inch as they crawled to where they're at now; a some sort of a indie rock band of all things. I don't have time for it.

DADAROMA - 「デンドロビューム」 Please help / save DADAROMA. The usual consensus on this band is wrong; they didn't lose their way, but people couldn't grasp just how formulaic they were to begin with. The easy answer to why the first two singles bang is that this is a very able-bodied band with hard hitting production and in addition to that they were looking for "inspiration" from my boys at Suicide Silence. So what happens after that? Try heaps of synth, genericore riffs and a party clown concept that for some reason a lot of people still can't accept all these years later. They were always funny like that, even on their very first release which most people chose to somehow ignore save for the nu-kei hit Oboreru Sakana ( although if you ask me, the best song with that title will always be the really early Sadie track. ) But even for those who stuck around despite all this, the abuse still continues in cycles of periodical stripping of synth and clowns and once these ears have pricked up they're abound to descend to the floor once more as this band busts out some shit about masturbation and now, whatever this is. I like the PV song actually, it's probably one of their filthiest sounding with this style because the synth is fucking stupid and over the top; and that said it's all the more sad that the rest of it is the same, fucking, shit they always do. Check the boxes for the fist bumping track and then the totally limp wonder-bread ballad in-between. The fact that they're really tight and can write a decent breakdown and that the vocalist sounds like he came out of the perfect-vk-vocalist generator, it's hard to give to fucks unless you've dedicated yourself to them already, in which case godspeed I hope you find your way. 

マチルダ - 人魚の肉 A generisingle from a band that already somehow broke my heart after just releasing one good track. The chorus makes you release which just how little singing ability these dudes get by with, which is fine in itself as long as there's some bloody spirit here. This is, apart from the cool pokemon battle synth, totally forgettable nothing. What they should be focusing their energies on is the aikuru rip off third track. They'll have to make about ten of those before they win me back. 

Hueye - 優しく殺して Sometimes things pop on your YouTube algorithm and you don't have any idea why this exactly keeps happening and Donald Duck's Mejibray cousin just happens to be one of these things. Who are these guys and where they come from? I don't know, but what I do know is that they fucking suck and if the Koichi/Tzk cosplaying PV wasn't enough then maybe the Killing Me riff in the second song is, or maybe the filter the vocalist uses to create that authentic Mejibray feels that the bargain bin MiA imposter isn't able to do since after ripping off one riff he just goes into the same chugs every fucking band uses these days. However despite all that, there's something in the arrangements that kind of makes this worth hearing and provided that they don't disband next week, the third song does entail that there is something here, should they ever decide to go beyond third play cosplay and become a band instead. I'm being mean on purpose, at least they're better than some of the other bands I've listened to this year who've mysteriously debuted on my YouTube page. 

ヴィルシーナ - 教典 The ultimate indie nobodies super band in 2019's does only a few indie nobodies could ever dream of: an album. What's the contents are herein is hard to evaluate in a manner that would say anything about it's "quality" or anything else substantial spoken in reviewer speak. You can only describe it like you'd describe a fish or a plant. Verxina is so visual-kei that it's almost a lithmus test to anyone who's up to finding out just how much vk they can actually stand. 教典 is one of the most visual kei albums I've ever heard that should be glaringly obvious to anyone after just one song when the terrible city library recording studio guitar sound comes blaring in and when the insane synth is layered in top of it, you know there will be no survivors. The vocalist despite having a storied career in vk terms comes off to me as putting out this Grieve-esque revival kei performance that if it's your thing, it totally is your thing with the rest of it that's on this album. This stuff is strictly for those who've dedicated their lives for this shit and the rest are probably better off keeping a healthy distance; I myself haven't decided yet on which side of the fence I stand on. 

CHOKE - CHOKE2 Holy shit dude. This is just an assault on so many levels. Usually western things get interpreted in VK through this visual kei lense, and foreign elements get thus absorbed into its DNA in way that still allows things to remain firmly visual kei. CHOKE however is something else. The most disgusting nu-metal riffs this side of the midwest in the early 2000's with fucking 2010's trap rapping? They're also super excited about their heavy guitar tone; and how about that album cover! I'm speechless, but as much as I respect the balls of the concept it's also agonisingly awful at everything it does and the fact that there's more interludes and remixes here than VK just makes it kind of novel at best. Smoke in Me is the most confusing visual kei ballad of all times, and to add to the confusion I'm just staring at the cholo gangster with a pitbull on the album cover. This is what the liberals warned us about cultural appropriation. 

Edited by Disposable
Updated on 5.5

Third year in a row!
Let's see how this year turns out...

Spoiler

:5.0:(Wow)

[2019.03.19] キズ (Kizu) - 平成 (Heisei)
[2019.05.24] GOTCHAROCKA - Naked Songs
[2019.05.29] JILUKA - Polyhedron

:4.0:(This is pretty good)

[2019.01.08] 蘭図 (Rands) - Inferiority Complex & Narcissism
[2019.01.09] GOTCHAROCKA - グエリラ

[2019.01.12] NAZARE - 荊海 (Jingai)
[2019.01.16] THE SOUND BEE HD - DEAD SILENCE
[2019.02.13] DIAURA - DEFINITION
[2019.02.17] Ruiza - Refrain
[2019.02.27] 摩天楼オペラ - Human Dignity

[2019.03.13] RAZOR - Undo
[2019.05.31] 運命交差点(Unmei Kousaten) - 言霊を謳歌する(Kotodama wo ouka suru)
[2019.06.05] DIMLIM - 離人

:3.0:(Quite decent/has both high and low points, might keep in my iPod)

[2019.01.07] MUCC×DEZERT - 蟲/ガチャガチャムクムク

[2019.01.09] ACME - Last One Show
[2019.01.09] MAMY - I will catch”ed” yesterday

[2019.01.09] FIXER - FIXER II
[2019.01.10] HAKLO - Another.
[2019.01.14] Gravity - Ima Uretai!!
[2019.01.15] Lavitte - cinder
[2019.01.16] 仮病 (Kebyou) - 毒針 (Dokushin)

[2019.01.23] majiko - Color

[2019.01.23] SYU - Vorvados

[2019.01.30] アルルカン - ラズルダズル
[2019.02.02] 甘い暴力 - Jibun o korosu, to iu koto
[2019.02.02] シグマメモリア (Sigma Memoria) - PSYCHOPATH
[2019.02.06] ナノ- KEMURIKUSA
[2019.02.06] Monstllow - Catastrophe
[2019.02.11] Insanity Injection - victim

[2019.02.13] 分島花音 - Decade
[2019.02.13] MUCC - 壊れたピアノとリビングデッド (Kowareta Piano to Living Dead)
[2019.02.20] ゴールデンボンバー - Gagagagagagaga
[2019.02.20] Frederic - Frederhythm 2
[2019.02.20] ベル (Belle) - 続々・鐘が鳴ったら事件が起きる
[2019.02.21] MIMIC - KING MIMIC

[2019.02.27] Zero[Hz] - ZELM
[2019.03.03] BAND-MAIKO (BAND-MAID) - BAND-MAIKO
[2019.03.06] Takanori Nishikawa - SINGularity
[2019.03.06] KANA-BOON - Haguruma

[2019.03.13] 無能なルシッド - 侵蝕リフレイン
[2019.03.13] THE ORAL CIGARETTES - Wagamama de Gomakasanaide
[2019.03.15] ALICE IN MENSWEAR - Wonderland For The Lost Children
[2019.03.19] HAKLO - シリアルキラー・ガールフレンド
[2019.03.20] ザアザア(Xaa-Xaa) - 「死んじゃったポチの話」
[2019.03.20] HYDE - MAD QUALIA
[2019.03.20] La'veil MizeriA - Shoku no Shuuen
[2019.03.27] Hueye -「優しく殺して」
[2019.03.27] IIIRD - MISS YOU
[2018.04.01] Avilis - Beginning
[2019.04.03] アクメ - 放課後の飼育
[2019.04.03] DEZERT - 「血液がない! / Call of Rescue」
[2019.04.05] CHOKE - CHOKE2
[2019.04.10] Houts - Reckless
[2019.04.10] NoGoD - Shingeki [神劇]
[2019.04.17] DADAROMA - Dendrobium
[2019.04.17] MERRY - for Japanese sheeple
[2019.04.17] ゲルニカ (Guernica) - blast
[2019.04.24] The THIRTEEN - ALONE
[2019.04.24] breakin' holiday - Sorestu
[2019.04.24] SCAPEGOAT - ラブカ
[2019.04.27] SLOTHREAT - Allium
[2019.04.28] NAZARE - 荊海 BEYOND
[2019.05.03] Warumono - Hajimari Hajimari
[2019.05.03] HYDE - Anti
[2019.05.08] David - 創生録Ⅱ ~Fearless Scenario~
[2019.05.11] 蘭図 (Rands) - Leda Atomica
[2019.05.11] Schwarz Stein - Ever After
[2019.05.22] BUCK-TICK - Kemonotachi no Yoru / RONDO
[2019.05.22] ヴァージュ (Virge) - Gracia-ガラシャ-
[2019.05.22] 仮病 (Kebyou) - ブラクラ
[2019.05.25] The Ghost Inside of Me - -Scénario Soirée-
[2019.05.28] Gulu gulu - 変なメリーゴーランド
[2019.06.03] heidi. - HALATION
[2019.06.23] Kaya - Dress

:2.0:(This is pretty bad/snooze)
[2019.01.01] マチルダ (Mathilda) - キセキニイル (Kiseki ni Iru)

[2019.01.09] AIOLIN - Orpheus

[2019.01.09] POIDOL - LIPS

[2019.01.09]ラヴェーゼ (Labaiser) - Folklore

[2019.01.09] Mrs. Green Apple - Boku no Koto

[2019.01.18] Hikaru Utada - Face My Fears

[2019.01.22] Asty -『夢舞う大泥棒』(Yume mau oodorobou)

[2019.01.23] ペンタゴン - カルチャーショック

[2019.01.23] vivid undress - Sekirara

[2019.01.30] MEIDARA - Kirai

[2019.02.06] HYDE feat. YOSHIKI - Zipang
[2019.02.06] GARAK'S – POCHI

[2019.02.06] NEVERLAND - Reincarnation
[2019.02.06] 眩暈SIREN - Yuudachi
[2019.02.06] BULL FIELD - BATTLE FIELD
[2019.02.07] Hitorie - HOWLS
[2019.02.13] ONE OK ROCK - Eye of the Storm
[2019.02.14] CLACK inc. - 夜、屋上。[Yoru, Okujo.]
[2019.02.18] sukekiyo - 論外な生き物として
[2019.02.20] AliA - AliVe
[2019.02.27] UVERworld - Touch off
[2019.02.27] back number - Happy Birthday
[2019.02.27] マチルダ (Mathilda) - 人魚ノ肉 (Ningyo no Mori)
[2019.03.05] BugLug - しこたま/泡沫に咲く柔な花
[2019.03.06] mitsu - OVER
[2019.03.06] NoisyCell - Focus
[2019.03.13] TK from Ling tosite Sigure - P.S. RED I
[2019.03.13] コドモドラゴン (Codomo Dragon) - テグラマグラ
[2019.03.13] SILENT SIREN - 31313
[2019.03.20] 己龍 - Senkou
[2019.03.20] Verxina (ヴィルシーナ) - Kyouten (教典)
[2019.03.27] まみれた - weekly zetsurin mansion
[2019.03.27] SCANDAL - Masterpiece/Mabataki
[2019.03.27] back number - MAGIC
[2019.03.31] GE+IM - アイオライト-STC
[2019.04.03] Jupiter - Zeus ~Legends Never Die~
[2019.04.05] ラク×ガキ (Raku×Gaki) - 地球外生命体
[2019.04.10] ゴールデンボンバー (Golden Bomber) - 令和 (Reiwa)
[2019.04.10] ジグソウ (Jigsaw) - 群青、風船が割れる (Gunjyo, Fusen ga Wareru)
[2019.04.11] Scarlet Valse - Metamorphosis
[2019.04.16] アスティ (Asty) - もふもふラビット (Mofumofu Rabbit)
[2019.04.17] Babykingdom - 首領!BURACO
[2019.04.19] MORRIE - 光る曠野 (Hikaru Kouya)
[2019.04.27] フシアナ (Fushiana) - インビジブル毒心 (Invisible Dokushin)
[2019.05.01] R-Shitei - FLASHBACK
[2019.05.01] Royz - IGNITE
[2019.05.01] ラミヤ (Lamiya) - Prologue
[2019.05.01] ジルドレ (Jirudore) - 事件簿録 (Jikenbo Roku)
[2019.05.03] Missa - a rotten apple spoils the barrel
[2019.05.07] グラビティ (Gravity) - 一生
[2019.05.08] ギャロ - Deathtopia
[2019.05.22] D'ERLANGER - roneve
[2019.05.22] KHRYST+ - 「Shokuzai」
[2019.05.22] Frantic EMIRY – Angels Cry/World End
[2019.05.23] XELL - ボクサイコ。 (Boku Psycho.)
[2019.05.24] sukekiyo - INFINITUM
[2019.05.27] DEXCORE - Collapse
[2019.06.08] マチルダ - タガアナイフ
[2019.06.19] DEVILOOF - 鬼
[2019.06.30] LIQUID - 至要たる剥離

:1.0:(This is SO bad/unbearable I couldn't even finish it)
[2019.01.10] ゼツ(Zetu) - おもちゃ (Omocha)
[2019.02.06] SPARTA LOCALS - underground
[2019.02.06] The Peggies - Hell like Heaven
[2019.02.13] amazarashi - Sayonara Gokko
[2019.02.13] 午前零時。 (Gozenreiji.) - 好き好き大好き超愛してる

[2019.02.27] SEKAI NO OWARI - LIP

[2019.02.27] SEKAI NO OWARI - EYE

[2019.03.06] MIMIZUQ - Namida QUARTET

[2019.03.13] THE NOVEMBERS - ANGELS
[2019.02.13] CHAI - PUNK
[2019.03.13] sleepyhead - meltbeat
[2019.03.27] ユメリープ (Yumeleep) - まくろまたー (makuro matter)
[2019.04.19] ロゼ (Roze) - ハウル (Howl)
[2019.05.01] 0801弐209XX6 - X
[2019.05.22] ロマン急行 (Roman Kyuko) - 掃き溜めのメロディ
[2019.05.22] NetherGarden122 - Phantom Pain
[2019.05.31] さの。(Sano) -『閉塞はコスモ』
[2019.06.19] SHiSHi - かまちょ。

Edited by Komorebi

Oh, time for round two. Here's hoping I won't stop updating when winter comes, as last year :D

Spoiler

BEST RELEASES OF THE YEAR, so far...

ALBUMS

NAZARE - Jingai

Codomo Dragon - Tegra-Magra

MINI-ALBUMS

Rands - Inferiority Complex & Narcissism

SLOTHREAT - Allium

NAZARE - Jingai BEYOND

JILUKA - Polyhedron

SINLGES

DIMLIM - Rijin

DEZERT - Ketsueki ga Nai! / Call of Rescue

SLOTHREAT - Daybreak

heidi. - Halation

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Fun releases I'll be revisiting often

[Maxi-Single] Arlequin - Razzle Dazzle

[Maxi-Single] ACME - Houkago no Shiiku

[Maxi-Single] ACME - Mononoke Requiem

[Mini-Album] Mamireta - Weekly Zetsurin Mansion

[Maxi-Single] Hueye - Yasashiku Koroshite

[Album] Verxina - Kyouten

[Mini-Album] THE THIRTEEN - ALONE

[Maxi-Single] Rands - Leda Atomica

[Maxi-Single] Roman Kyuko - Hakidame no Melody

[Maxi-Single] gulu gulu - Henna Merry-Go-Round

[Album] Virge - Gracia

A few good songs/moments sprinkled throughout the mediocrity

[Album] MUCC - Kowareta Piano to Living Dead

[Mini-Album] DIAURA - DEFINITION

[Mini-Album] MEIDARA - Kirai

[Album] kek - Infinitum

Bland, boring, generic...take your pick

[Maxi-Single] ACME - Last One Show

[Album] Zero[Hz] - ZELM

[Maxi-Single] Munou na Lucid - Erosion Refrain

[Album] Jupiter - Zeus...

[Maxi-Single] DADAROMA - Dendrobium

[Album] Deviloof - Oni

A genuine modern masterpiece

[Album] CHOKE - CHOKE2

EVERYTHING IS PRONE TO CHANGE 🙃

Edited by 123Sandman321

I may or may not forget to update this and I've never done this before, but here we go. Also, I can be a bit shit at staying on top of new releases, but maybe this'll encourage me to listen to more stuff. Also, I may shift releases up and down the scale depending on whether or not I change my mind.

Spoiler

😍 (LOVE!)

😊 (Pretty good!)

* DIAURA - Definition

* ACME - Last One Show

* SHiSHi - Kama Cho

🙂 (Not too bad)

😕 (Eh)

😴 (-.-~zzz)

Edited by Gesu

I never end up with very much on my list, but I'm going to at least try to use this to remind myself about some releases I've been putting off listening to.

Last update: May 3rd

:5.0:Could see myself listening to this ten years from now

:4.5:Favourite releases of the year

:4.0:Great

AA=xHIROSUKE (BALZAC) - DEEP INSIDE [Spotify]

^Some of the parts feel a bit awkwardly shoehorned in, but I think it's a very sweet tribute overall. You can really feel how much Takeshi loves BALZAC.

RAKUxGAKI - Chu Chu Cherry Vampire [video]

^First new VK band this year to really get my attention.

WANIMA - Good Job!! [Spotify]

^The lead track "Again" is okay, but the main reason I'm ranking this so high is the B-side "Nagisa no utakata". The song is ridiculously fun and catchy. Plus I'm a sucker for the horny, immature side of WANIMA, and the video is kind of gloriously tasteless.

Airo Maeda - Korosareta.. [Spotify]

^I've never cared for UNDER FALL JUSTICE, and this is exactly the type of VK I don't normally go for, but I liked both of the video tracks from this a lot so I gave it a chance. The third track is hilarious and the fourth one is like a dramatic short story reading with spooky piano in the background. I thought it was really entertaining.

été‏ - Apathy [Spotify]

^I've kind of had my eye on them since "I am" because I thought they had potential to grow into a cool band once they sort of figured out their formula, and I think they're starting to get there. I'm actually really surprised by how fast they've improved.

:3.5:Good

Ziyoou-vachi - Kaen [Spotify]

THURSDAY'S YOUTH - Anachronism Pt.1 [Spotify]

^It's a pleasant listen, but I really wanted at least one more upbeat or quirky track and a bit less Kosei angst.

:3.0:Good enough

Shinoyama Kosei - Junkyard #1 [Spotify]

0801ni209XX6 - X [Spotify]

^Something about the production doesn't sound too good to me, but I like the last two tracks a lot. Hoping the rest will grow on me with a few more listens.

:2.5:OK

Asty - Yume mau oodorobou [Spotify]

^I'm not wild about their attempts at the "wafuu" sound, but "Ringoame" is adorable.

:2.0:Disappointing or not my style

NOISEMAKER - RARA [Spotify]

^I really, really wanted to like them after "Wings", but I'm not feeling it.

:1.0:Couldn't finish it

Releases I want to get around to eventually:

Frederic - Frederhythm 2 [Spotify]
Bentham - MYNE [Spotify]
ACME - Last One Show [Spotify]
THE SOUND BEE HD - DEAD SILENCE [Spotify]
CHAI - PUNK
CHEMISTRY - Moshimo / Yakou Bus [Spotify]
kolme - Hello kolme [Spotify]
The Birthday - VIVIAN KILLERS
V6 - Super Powers / Right Now
amazarashi - Sayonara gokko [Spotify]

MIMIZUQ - Namida Quartet [Spotify]

Yuya Matsushita - Black Neverland [Spotify]

ATOM ON SPHERE - The Secret Life Of Mine [Spotify]

HAN-KUN - Musical Ambassador

MORRIE - Hikaru Kouya

MOP of HEAD - maverick [Spotify]

Edited by violetchain

I'm terrible with these things but I'm gonna keep trying until I do it right lol. Gonna link to the single or lead track from each release if possible.

Spoiler

:tw_heart:

AmPm - To Start from Zero

CIRRRCLE - Mental Health

CIRRRCLE - Too Fragile

Hikaru Utada - Face My Fears

HIROOMI TOSAKA - SUPERMOON

KOHH - UNTITLED

Kvi Baba - 19

MIYAVI - 1000 Miles Away

MUCC - 壊れたピアノとリビングデッド

Newspeak - Maybe You're So Right, Gonna Get My Shotgun