Velle

VK bands you just can't stand?

SuG, they were shit. I was glad when they disbanded. They just sounded like a crappy Blink-182 knock-off. That, and on the rare occasion that they released a good song (and I use the word "good" lightly), Takeru just had to go and ruin it with his god-awful rapping.

I'm happy this thread exists. I was considering making a thread like this, but then I thought "nah" and I dunno why.

7 hours ago, violetchain said:

The singer from DOG in the PWO creeps me out.

I used to love Haru but I do see what you mean. I was watching their PVs yesterday (reminiscing back to 6 years ago) and something about him unsettled me. I'm not sure what. When he wears lipstick his appearance makes me nervous. Weird.

^Well, this is the only video of theirs I've ever watched all the way through, so I don't know if it holds true for their other stuff, but there's just something off about his face and how it looks next to the rest of his body. It's like the excitement just suddenly cuts off before reaching his eyes in some of the shots...

I personally like that guy, but that's not the first time I've seen people say there's something off about him.  Maybe it really is something about his eyes?

Edited by ShTon

* deep inhale * Which one of you chucklefucks suggested Insanity Injection to the Fine Bros., cuz I don't think I'd be able to listen to them unless I pre-game with a cringe compilation.

In all seriousness, hate is a strong word. I don't think I particularly hate any band, I just don't listen to said band.  You from 0.1 no Gosan is a piece of shit, but the band sounds ok. Also, Kuina from Royz has a bunch of controversy surrounding him ...so does the rest of the band sans-Koudai, according to rumors... 

Edited by colorfuljinsei

Current GazettE. They literally sound like the whitest vkei band I've ever heard. I come to Japanese music because I want to hear something other than stereotypical American Metalcore. 

However, 2002 to 2010 gazette is much more enjoyable. Especially their 2002 to 2006 era.

Most of the wafuukei bands in the scene right now. I normally love traditional Japanese aesthetics, but most of the ones trying to do it now sound just like every other Vkei band but with bad Koto and Shakuhachi samples. I think if you're gonna do it, at least include some Japanese music theory or traditional Japanese vocals. 

Basically, I ain't saying you got to, but try being Kiryu, Guruguru Eigakan, Memento Mori, or Kagrra.

Not really a band, but the newer Dir en Grey fanbase that came in because of Uroboros and Dum Spiro Spero who think it's cool to hate on Vkei and say shit like "Wow, early Dir en Grey sucks and so does all of Visual Kei just because they wear makeup"

12 hours ago, platy said:

Just remembered Fest Vainqueur. Again, stupid name and vk doesn't get anymore lame than this band. 

I swear they covered You Spin Me Right Round. None if their other music has ever interested in me though 

On 12/13/2018 at 6:46 AM, Aferni said:

EARLY Mejibray was good. Also the gazette is boring, like super boring.

Why do you think the gazette is boring? personally they are one of my favorites.

5 hours ago, greenops said:

Why do you think the gazette is boring? personally they are one of my favorites.

I've never really heard anything from them that i'd call "Phenomenal". Ruki is a cool vocalist and but SNOOOOORE

Nega. Good God they were awful. They're one of the worse examples of "not sure if br00tal edgy violent metal or 80's anime soundtrack" cliche of japanese bands that just want to do every style possible and fail at every one of them. Musicianship is competent (the drummer was great!) but the songwriting is almost non-existent. I actually listened to their entire discography once and liked only 7 songs (dunno how many songs they had in total, but it was like 80?). And don't get me on Jin's voice.

Edited by kuyashii

I think Nega’s (and Black Swan’s) problem was Jin didn’t know shit about music but insisted on writing it. The potential was there in both bands in terms of musicianship, but they were stuck playing middling j-core that did little to really showcase what they were capable of. 

Jin’s voice was always a problem though. He tried so hard to make every syllable that came out of his mouth sound pained and tortured that he sacrificed good tone and delivery. Nega is an occasional guilty pleasure of mine, but I am not unaware of how bad most of their discog is. 

I fucking hate Guilt Trip. One of the worst VK songs in history. 

On 12/16/2018 at 12:06 PM, Velle said:

I swear they covered You Spin Me Right Round. None if their other music has ever interested in me though 

That was Anli Pollicino.

Fest covered Aerosmith though lol

Keeping things on topic, I've never been able to get into any of Akane's bands. His voice just irks me, which makes no sense since I listen to a ton of bands with...questionable vocals.

1 hour ago, Alkaloid said:

That was Anli Pollicino.

Fest covered Aerosmith though lol

Keeping things on topic, I've never been able to get into any of Akane's bands. His voice just irks me, which makes no sense since I listen to a ton of bands with...questionable vocals.

That was it! Glad you sent that as I was looking for it the other day and (of course) couldn't find it 😂

1 hour ago, libertine said:

I appreciate Gazette's ability to stay cool year after year. They're kind of bearing the mantle of Kuroyume into the 2020s. That said, I do think they suffer from being so Ruki-centric. Not only does he have his hands in the concepts and visuals, it seems like he also composes all the important songs too. The other members just make their parts their own and the track gets credited to "the Gazette". But you can't just have the vocalist do everything and not expect it to affect the end product. The songs will sound like they were made by the vocalist for the vocalist with the other elements just kind of there to justify the singing. The songs will be limited by the songwriter's lack of specialization and technicality with other instruments. And the compositions will also be informed by a more narrow set of influences. I believe that is Gazette's weakness and why they often seem to fall behind other bands with more technical songwriters and decentralized creative processes.

There’s a reason why Yoin is one of the best songs Gazette has done in the last 7-8 years. Ruki didn’t fucking write it. 

I absolutely HATED Avelcain and was so glad they disbanded. (Only for Karma to form rands... sigh.) Any good song they might have been able to create was completely ruined by Karma’s terrible vocals. Really, they were fucking awful.

On the note of bad singing, Yuuki from Lycaon/Initial’L doesn’t have a whole lot of skill either in my opinion. The difference is that Lycaon still managed to be decent despite of this.

Actually I don't hate any band or member in particular, I just ignore it, as somebody else said above. 

What I actually hate is the much idolized vk industry got in the last 10 years. Sometimes I can't believe my eyes when I got to see horrible things like "Babykingdom" or "the Raid", and people liking them "because they are cute"... Well, at least they make some people have what seems a good time of enjoyment...

Oh yeah, I also hate that part of the West DEG fandom that born with Uroboros... They totally drive me crazy.

Pd: Mejibray had a bunch of awful fillers but wonder singles until Decadance.

Edited by saiko