Gesu

Do you think blood is thicker than water?

This is something I've been wanting people's opinions on for some time now. Personally, I don't think it necessarily is (my take is that it's thicker than clean water), but I've had people tell me that "there's no way you could ever really stop caring for your family". What do you guys think?

I  come from a very tight knit family where putting anything before family is seen as sacrilege and this is something I think about a lot. Basically, in my case, I've come to accept that you can love your family but not necessarily like them. For example, there could be family members whose company you don't like and who you don't like as people, especially if they've hurt you. You don't like them, you don't like being around them, and could probably live happily ever after if you never see them again (In some cases, you might even wish you never do see them again). But there's still love for them as in "I wish them well and hope nothing ever happens to them because I would be pretty sad." Or in other words "I want them to be happy and healthy, just far away from me and out of my life." Then again, I've never suffered something like violence or physical abuse from my family. Just a whole lot of mental abuse that  has made me realize my life is better off without some people  in it. So I guess that makes my reply kind of sheltered and I can definitely see why some people might not even have love for an abusive family (If I had a family member physically abusing me, I wouldn't give a rat's behind about them and would probably wish them bad things). 

So I guess, no, I don't think blood is thicker than water. There are some instances where you just don't want a family member in your life and you might not care about them any more than you would a stranger. You can even hate them. But hating them is a slippery slope since hate is a secondary emotion that cannot exist on its own and it only masks a primary emotion that has been violated. In the case of a family member, that emotion could very well be the violation of love or the absence of love that nurtures the hate. 

I feel like that saying is used as a manipulation tactic for certain situations. Yes, blood is thicker than water but people only really say that once they need a favor or are making you choose between one or the other. It is possible to stop loving your family members if you let it get to that point, yeah. Especially if you love but not particularly like them. Idk, people you meet tomorrow could have a better interest for you than your own family at times, so in actuality (lol) yes blood is literally thicker than water but no, because your family will do you about the same as anyone else would, probably even quicker. It all depends on what everyone values are.

I was gonna say the same. Blood is only thicker than water when it comes to favors and manipulation. Of course your family can come in first place and you can be tightly knit, but it doesn't mean you should put up with shit people just because you're related. Specially in certain cultures, blackmailing relatives by saying you are going to disappear from their life is a thing, or bringing up how you were around when they grew up so they owe you etc. Fuck that. It's very hard to break familial bonds, but one should always put themselves in first place in these crappy situations. When a person is awful, it doesn't matter who they are, it feels like a relief getting rid of them. 

Edit: luckily my family isn't like this and we are very close but I've seen this in other families.

I think this really depends on the family and upbringings though. No one family is the same. For me... absolutely blood is thicker. I think it's more common for 'friends' to make broken promises and come and go as they please. My family and i may have had some hard times, but I love them and I would do anything for them and vice versa. That's the thing for me... My family are also my friends. Community and togetherness is important for me, and I have yet to find the same support or community outside of my family. 

On the other hand, I know plenty of people who are not as fortunate to have such a tight knit family or a family that believes in strong support morals. So it's really subjective.