Sign in to follow this  
FOSCOR70

Origin of growling in visual kei?

As the title says.

I'm really interested in knowing how harsh vocals made their way into visual kei or just jmetal in general. Like which were the first vk and non vk bands to add harsh vocals like growling and screaming into their songs.

If there's already a thread like this then link me please.

Thank you.

That can be an interesting discussion, that's for sure.

I would say that even old-school j-rock bands tried to use some screaming - Aliene Marriage for example. If you listen to many obscure bands from 1998-2003, you will find plenty of weak growls (more like shrieks even). From relativily popular bands - early Vidoll, the Gazette.

Moving to modern times - once emo-style and metalcore sound was becoming popular, it surely influenced jrock scene. To me, one of the most early examples was -OZ- with their Cry the Crime and Zenith. I believe, it was 2006. In comparison with the bands that I mentioned above, Natsuki used his harsh vocals more often and extensvely. We also have early Deathgaze from 2004, D'espairs Ray, Gemmik, to name a few. And Unsraw with their debut single. Yeah, it seems like 2005-2006 is when screams and growls were becoming the thing.

I hope some senior contributors from MH, like @zeus or other guys who were in jrock community for around 10-15 years would contribute to this discussion)

Edited by zaa_zaa
More examples

miyab(-/v)i doing the  is basically the only reason to listen to DlQ

so like 1999?

his first solo releases (2002/2003) are doing the reg growl thing ahead of p much anyone else in VK

Edited by nekkichi

On 12/10/2018 at 1:30 PM, Bear said:

Many of the earlier visual kei thrash metal bands like Rosenfeld uses harsh(er) vocals already in the mid to late 80s.

Yeah, I agree. However, it maybe would be a good idea to distinguish the more "classic" metal vocals with the newer, "visual-style" stuff?

I am inclined to presume that Rosenfeld, Harkenkreuz, Rommel, and so on used harsh vocals inspired by other pioneer metal bands (honorable mention to Cannibal Corpse's vocals) as they probably considered themselves metal bands first and foremost, with a visual style.

On the other hand, the newer bands may have assumed harsher vocals as a part of a more defined, "visual" style, instead of, being metal or rock bands with a visual touch. 

Is the question perhaps when the bands which considered themselves more visual-style than metal began to use harsher vocals?

Not growling per se, but early Kuroyume sometimes had pretty extreme harsh vocals, like 親愛なるDEATH MASK from 1993 (if that counts).

Spoiler

Sign in to follow this