LunaaaC

What are some iconic VKei Songs?

A couple oldie to break the ice.

Illuminati by Malice Mizer

ThE sOnG DiR eN gReY dOn'T wAnT yOu To SeE: 

And almost any XJapan's songs, but for the sake of chosing one because it's one of my favorite and it's famous for it's lenght:

Edited by Arkady

A good way to start might be compilations such as this one: 

It gives you a nice little overview over the styles and genres dominating certain eras and you can get a feel for the sound you enjoy the most and dig deeper from there.

^It's not one of the big hit singles, but I think it's one of the quintessential "VK-sounding" GLAY songs.

Gonna throw this in as well because, after looking at their revival thread, apparently no one knows who DuelJewel are anymore? I only know this song from them, but it's such a catchy track. Heard it when I was first getting into VK as part of a mix or something, and it still stands out so clearly in my memory.

Edited by violetchain

Spoiler

Man, did everyone flock here quick, lol. Not an exhaustive list and def. has bias. If you find an artist you like, last.fm is a good tool to branch out... or at least was. Just binge a bunch of YT vids. 

What everyone's posted looks good. We might want to tone down the embed vids tho, out of consideration for those w/ slow internet speeds and/or bandwidth caps.

Edited by colorfuljinsei

On 11/26/2018 at 10:26 AM, VESSMIER said:

A good way to start might be compilations such as this one: 

It gives you a nice little overview over the styles and genres dominating certain eras and you can get a feel for the sound you enjoy the most and dig deeper from there.

As far as video compilations go, I always loved this particular series. It's notable in that it gives a feel for the scene from a japanese point of view which is still something that rarely manages to cross the language barrier. There's a lot of genre defining stuff on there that usually gets omitted by western fans because VK fandom overseas has always kind of been its own beast.

Part 2 and 7 are missing unfortunately but if you're really interested in getting the full picture their tracklist should still be available under video description.

Spoiler