Sign in to follow this  
shiroihana

Unifying VK fans, socializing, group-chats, etc...

Hey guys! It's been quite a while since I posted here, and I hope people hear me out and read this whole thread. First I'll introduce myself,  I'm known by some people here as Yasu, and I was a moderator quite some time ago, briefly, by the name of Yasupon.  I wouldn't say I was the best moderator of all time, but I left a mark on the community during the time I was around due to my activity within the social aspect of the site (mostly within the minichat, last.fm, and tt.fm areas). I was probably well known for having written comments on every indie band on last.fm, but yeah enough about me. 

So as you all know, the visual kei scene is extremely niche; I can personally say that I've never met a single visual kei fan irl by pure chance. The reason I joined this forum many years ago on my former account was because I wanted to meet other visual kei fans, because of course, meeting them in person is almost impossible. I really enjoyed this forum, and for a while I was a minichat regular, as that was the best social outlet for me to make friends and express myself as a part of this community. We had many regulars whom would use the minichat actively, including myself, Biopanda, Haunted Jealousy, Senedjem, Zesshoku, CAT5, Furik, and plenty of others.

So somewhere around 2013, drama struck me, and I left this community while I still held a moderator position. It was honestly ridiculous, and I don't want to talk about it because it was truly quite silly, but I left without a word (what an immature teen I was), and two years later I returned to see that the minichat was no longer what it had used to be. The minichat was barren, and it wasn't as active as before. Soon afterward, I discovered that MH actually had its own discord server, which had been started by OriginalSaku (whom I believe is still a moderator here?), however that discord group wasn't promoted very actively, and ultimately went inactive.

I am writing this thread because one of my biggest passions in life is to make friends with other visual kei fans, and with the minichat being inactive for quite some time now, the discord group not really being a paramount cornerstone for the community, and no other discord groups filling the void that I sought after, I took it in my own hands to create what I had been so desperately looking for, so I did. I run a server which is currently called "J-Music Community" which is focused primarily on two things: visual kei, and social interaction. Our goal is to bring people together to discuss the music, and just have fun together. 

We have custom roles, custom colors, voice channels, a j-music and general radio, and many 'channels' for members to use as a means to discuss various topics of interest, and I would be extremely honored to have members of this community to join, and try us out. Our members are friendly, and most are quite mature. We currently have 175 members, and most of them joined only within the past week alone. I have been advertising very passionately all over the internet because that's how much I care about bringing visual kei fans together.

If anyone would be willing to at least give us a shot, I'll supply the link right here: https://discordapp.com/invite/wE56xDx

If this thread is considered advertising, then of course, I apologize. I intend to create conversation, so this is not solely about driving traffic to the server. A dialogue concerning visual kei fans and unifying them is the premise of this thread as well, because it appears that we're a very niche group, yet we're quite divided from my perspective, and it saddens me a bit. Last.fm has died down over the years, and other community websites dedicated to VK I feel have died down as well, so my goal has been to basically attempt to change that single-handedly to revolutionize things a bit. 

Edited by shiroihana

I'm worried about fractionalizing the community, the intent is good, but the oversaturation when it comes to options and places to be is one of the key reasons that it's so difficult to keep track of the scene these days, with all the different social media, the dozens of facebook groups, forums, chats, etc.

The solution needs to be to make something which joins all the premier ventures together so that people have one source they can use, not create more distinct fora for people to divide themselves across. One forum (MH), one database (vk.gy) and one chat (preferably with many subchats where people can discuss various subtopics within J-Rock). And it would be good if they could all work in tandem and recommend each other exclusively so that we can have the best possible "complete" solution. Every new solution created where a fully good one already is in place just causes the effect described above. 

If that's your goal, then you're on the right track, but I think achieving cooperation is the best way forward.

1 hour ago, WhirlingBlack said:

I'm worried about fractionalizing the community, the intent is good, but the oversaturation when it comes to options and places to be is one of the key reasons that it's so difficult to keep track of the scene these days, with all the different social media, the dozens of facebook groups, forums, chats, etc.

The solution needs to be to make something which joins all the premier ventures together so that people have one source they can use, not create more distinct fora for people to divide themselves across. One forum (MH), one database (vk.gy) and one chat (preferably with many subchats where people can discuss various subtopics within J-Rock). And it would be good if they could all work in tandem and recommend each other exclusively so that we can have the best possible "complete" solution. Every new solution created where a fully good one already is in place just causes the effect described above. 

If that's your goal, then you're on the right track, but I think achieving cooperation is the best way forward.

I don't think MH has an official discord group. This is the most active group (500+ members). The forum is nice for discussing news imo but everyone's kinda in their own element and don't interact much. 

14 hours ago, lichtlune said:

I don't think MH has an official discord group. This is the most active group (500+ members). The forum is nice for discussing news imo but everyone's kinda in their own element and don't interact much. 

I'm not sure if you understood what I was trying to say, read it again, I'm approving of your idea, and giving you some good ones on how to move forward.

Sign in to follow this