Traxan

JRock women invade Europe

Three all-girls bands are touring Europe right now. None of them VK, sad to point out here.

Lovebites: touring Holland, France, Germany and England

44682869_285496202095309_416836348549105

Band Maid: touring Finland, England, Holland and Germany. Also hit LA and SF.

42114606_495429360962795_247450827829928

Bridear: Playing France, Germany, Austria, Czech Republic

43002487_281720792482650_163941291301044

I'm surprised two or all three bands didn't team up. 

So with Europe warming to Japanese metal, any chance for some VK bands as well? Or is it too far out there for Europeans?

Edited by Traxan

14 minutes ago, God said:

I was under the impression that vk is more popular in EU than USA.  🤔

You're right. VK bands only have a place in US anime cons, Europe takes them more seriously with actual concerts at livehouses.

46 minutes ago, nekkichi said:

do u think grorious metaruwaifu invaders die internally after each gig or watching their bank account ゼニーcount go up works as a form of therapy?

No doubt the metal scene is aging, in Europe and America. But given how small the crowds are I find it hard to believe they are making any money on this tour.

1 hour ago, libertine said:

To me it seems like these bands are basically just riding the Babymetal wave and taking advantage the fairly constant demographic of anime otakus (edit: and sure, pure metal heads too). Those people don't care about boys in makeup. They care about girls in kneesocks and these bands have them covered. That's great, but it's also totally different from the huge demographic of depressed teenage girls with Youtube who'd just grown out of anime around 2006-2010. They made it possible for any major or minor VK act to tour Europe and sell out most shows. Now they're grown up and not even the Gazette or Dir en Grey can be sure if their tour is feasable. It's only going to get worse.

The crowds look like pure metalheads to me and the girls in these bands are not in kneesocks, except maybe for Band Maid.

Now the girls who played CharaExpo here in LA last weekend, like Roselia and Poppin' Party, those were anime bands.

Saw tricot live in Brighton last week. The crowd was around 80~ people, a loooot of guys in their teens. They tour England and USA pretty often, but I don't think it's related to babymetal's success at all. Some bands are just more appealing to the overseas crowd.

Tricot's popularity isn't connected to the Babymetal wave at all, I feel like they've always been pretty well-liked and respected by people in the math rock sphere. To me they feel like they're more like one of those Japanese non-VK bands that just inexplicably (and perhaps even rather arbitrarily) gets semi-popular among westerners, something along the line of Melt Banana, Polysics, Mass of the Fermenting Dregs, Bo Ningen and such 

Also, wait, Band Maid aren't a vocaloid band? I always thought it was just another vocaloid doujin project

Edited by Tokage

2 hours ago, Tokage said:

Also, wait, Band Maid aren't a vocaloid band? I always thought it was just another vocaloid doujin project

I always thought they played the same music as STEREOPONY or SCANDAL, just with more "I'm a rock girl" shoved in your face. Lol

Edited by YuyoDrift
Forgot to quote

1 hour ago, YuyoDrift said:

I always thought they played the same music as STEREOPONY or SCANDAL, just with more "I'm a rock girl" shoved in your face. Lol

If you're talking about tricot they're on a league of their own, you need to check them out. 

I also think that once you see them live it's understandable why they're popular in the west. Of the Japanese bands I've seen live, none come even near to the energy tricot gives off. Like, they were born to do *this*. I can't explain it, but I think it's a level of performance that's appealing to western audiences. 

3 hours ago, Tokage said:

I have no idea what a vocaloid doujin is, please enlighten.

Their singles don't really reflect what the band is like. Other songs on their albums are pretty heavy and aggressive. It goes back and forth on how genuine the band is... Miku claims she started the band but there was supposedly an agency behind them. What I do know is they have been much more assertive in pursuing an international audience by touring overseas and putting their videos on YouTube.

43817481_605225243243804_656610360279016

The UK show had a bigger crowd, not surprising since the girls played a major outdoor festival earlier this year and made a good impression.