Sign in to follow this  
Manabu

DIR EN GREY - Lotus

liked Lotus, hated Obscure, man the whole chorus has been screwed up, didnt really like it at all, Obscure was one of my favs songs and now they've raped it forever=(

lotus however is just a nice song, nothing special, wont be in my head for the next weeks like Hageshi did

lotus was very strange, its good but i dunno, somethings not connecting 100%

the vocal layering reminds much of gazette's style of recording

obscure i like, the chorus to me feels better and perhaps gives more sense of rhythm, the guitars threw me off a little but i was singing the old one in my head and go confused lol

the reiketsu nariseba live i think was very good, the mix sounded awesome and really gave a good punch to the sound =D

out of 5 i'd give it a 4 i think

^ there's review topic for this actually :mrgreen:

but, i must say i wanna bury obscure new ver. forever.

Kyo didn't even say the lyrics right during "bloody baby & sacrifice" parts with the gutturals.

Only pure gibberish. It's a shame really.

With this, i hope they will never do filth, embryo or myaku, sajou no uta or whatever.

I don't wish for them to rape more classics.

It's enough with undecided, zan, and obscure! :(

Lotus- I found it rather eerie and awkward but I rather like it after a couple of listens. At first I was like wtf is this but i listened to it a second time and its not bad. Not Amazing like anything off of uroboros but I suppose it will do for now. 7/10

Obscure- I actually like this song, However I DO NOT COUNT IT AS A REMAKE OF OBSCURE. To me its like that reconstruction Dozing green song they had earlier. It gives me the same feel of being all over the place and blending different aspects of their music into one song and see what they get and the result is a song that needs more work put into it. I do like it but It's nowhere near the original. 7/10

Reiketsu Nariseba - LOL on the live track being the best track on the single. Holyshit I forgot how awesome this song is live really makes me wanna Diru concert right about now :/ Anyways Kyo's screaming and erbody's playin is spot on :P I give this one 10/10 because it is better than the album version.

Lotus definitely needed some more progession, I'm not fond of OBSCURE's chugging guitars and I find Reiketsu Nariseba live to be better than the recording on Uroboros. It sounds better with all the energy in it.

I'd call this one average.

agreeing to everything, i like the new vocals in obscure, but the chugga sounds lame without any driving energy and the parts somehow don't seem to connect...

lotus itself is somehow boring

Lotus is awesome. Their best song for a looooong time.

Didn't care much for Obscure, chorus was really nice though.

Didn't care about the live song either, but that doublebass part was really badass.

Best Dir en grey mixing ever. They should keep that guy, he's making them sound powerfull.

it seems that takumi [rentrer en soi] was one of the two programmers for the single. :/ [manipulation x piano]

With this, i hope they will never do filth, embryo or myaku, sajou no uta or whatever.

I don't wish for them to rape more classics.

It's enough with undecided, zan, and obscure! :(

I never liked the original Zan, it was a bastard child on gauze, a pretty ugly one as well

and the new version worked... especially with their current direction

(they could make it during marrow of the bone era as well, but anyway)

I'm really afraid they'll butched either fukai or keloid milk next, can't really hope for another successful remake now :\

for me, the only problem with new version of OBSCURE is lack of emotions.

Unlike the original that makes me feel connected to the song,

the new version just void and bland. Just sounds like any metal band that doing rough music for the sake of it. I can't get the "feel" from this new version.

I honestly feel the new version didn't even harder than original one. I didn't even feel to do headbang the way i did with the original one.

Plus with Kyo singing "lalala" lines or something on new version, which is odd.

Why would one do that kind of poppish thing in a metal song? It just unnecessary and silly. Making this track more absurd. And again, mediocre.

This is the first song from them that had "the more you hear it, the more annoyed you get" effect on me.

So far, only undecided that sounded quite alright as remake.

For the most part, remakes just should be avoided.

Especially to classics. Because 99% it will fail.

It's like doing remake to The Excorcist or the first Star Wars Trilogy. It should never be done.

Not that i don't like changes, but it could only disrespect the original version.

Sometimes, something just should be left as it is.

Very dissapointed, cos this is not what i wish after some 60 seconds teaser.

Btw, can anyone confirm what minre said about one of ex ReS being the programmer?

^I was told by my friend that Takumi blogged about being manipulator/pianist for a new release [01.26] of a band he admired.

though he supposedly said that his real name would appear, but only TAKUMI does.

half-way down the right page, right above DVD disc.

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y34 ... yrics2.png

/credit to SA BIR -DIR EN GREY BRAZILIAN FORUM- [via diru_tabloid]

I love kyo's voice when he chooses to sing throughout a song rather than scream *ducks oncoming bricks* lol so anyways here's my mini review.

Lotus - Loved it. Kyo sing's beautifully 9/10

Obscure - Not very good 4/10

Reiketsu - Meh 2/10 Again with the screaming...sigh

Overall 5/10

You may say i'm not a true diru fan, i dont really care. (Although i own 2 albums) I personally feel like kyo is waisting that beautiful voice of his when he screams through a song. I love the occasional growling or scream for effect in a powerful song, but constant screaming just isnt my style.

But Dir en grey seems to have a majority of songs with screaming in them. I too agree that Kyo can sing but he also can scream and growl and wail like a little school girl like a pro. (although I'm not sure how many professionals there are for wailing like school girls.) As to whether or not your a true fan you like what you like by them. I hated some of their first albums but got into their heavier stuff. Although I like it when he sings too though :]

liked Lotus, hated Obscure, man the whole chorus has been screwed up, didnt really like it at all, Obscure was one of my favs songs and now they've raped it forever=(

lotus however is just a nice song, nothing special, wont be in my head for the next weeks like Hageshi did

This.

Reiketsu - Meh 2/10 Again with the screaming...sigh

LOL this song is pure screaming.

Loved the entire single, i love theyr experimental stuff nowadays.

maturity smiles at them since uroboros.

LOTUS epic! I love this song it has a nice softer but not really what I would call a ballad but very nice sound.9/10

Obscure I think it was ok but the growl were overly exagerated and the singing parts is nowhere nere as good as the old version, but it's a decent new take of the original.6/10

Reiketsu sounds decent but not really special good high note for live though and nice guitar rifs.7/10

Overall:7/10

Lotus

This really surpised me that i liked this song so much. Before this i've only liked four song from DEG. The chorus is nice and overall this pretty good song.

Obscure

Simply said the original is better.

Reiketsu Nariseba

Usually i enjoy live version more than stdio versions and this is not exception.

^I was told by my friend that Takumi blogged about being manipulator/pianist for a new release [01.26] of a band he admired.

though he supposedly said that his real name would appear, but only TAKUMI does.

half-way down the right page, right above DVD disc.

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y34 ... yrics2.png

/credit to SA BIR -DIR EN GREY BRAZILIAN FORUM- [via diru_tabloid]

thanks for the scans.

It's very interesting, He should do more works with them :)

Lotus - Lolol he can try as hard as he wants, but he still sounds VK - straining to hit most notes. Wouldn't make too bad of an instrumental, the post chorus bit is nice. 6/10

Obscure - what is this shit i can't

reituki [raibu] - what is this shit i can't

Lotus - Lolol he can try as hard as he wants, but he still sounds VK - straining to hit most notes. Wouldn't make too bad of an instrumental, the post chorus bit is nice. 6/10

Obscure - what is this shit i can't

reituki [raibu] - what is this shit i can't

^ lmao....I'm surprised you even bothered reviewing this (let alone listening to it! xD) considering your unwavering disdain for the band. :P

At any rate, you may have rated Lotus just a bit higher than I would have. :]

And yeah, I don't see how Kyo can ever NOT sound VK....the dude pretty much raised a whole generation of copycats and soundalikes (even molested my poor Satsuki =().

They need to do some more funky shit like "Ryoujoku no Ame"...would definitely enjoy that.

Lotus- The hell...I'm disappointing. It isn't the verse, not the licks, not the outro. Wait...the chorus. Bullshit. I don't understand, it's just straight up annoying. I mean Hageshisa had an outstanding chorus but not the best verse yet enough for the listen. Here, it's the opposite. Almost like the chorus isn't bearable. Maybe it'll take time... 5/10

Obscure- Alright, the debate. The new Obscure, one that will be argued through Diru fans for a long while. Honestly, at least I can listen to this and go "Man, good song" unlike Lotus. Though they ruined some of the song with the palm mutes. Kaoru doesn't realize he doesn't have a Mesa/Boogie tone that drives guitar chugging throughout a song. His tone is hardly distorted and can't fill out the mix. That's it! It isn't the fact he did the palm mutes, it's his rock tone NOT an American metal tone. It feels empty. Yet, JESUS ALMIGHTY, Kyo's vocals are ridiculous. He's the best. Chorus ain't half bad, but I myself could have done a better job with the instruments. Sorry Kaoru and Die, I'm just being honest. 8/10

Reiketsu Nariseba (live) - HOLY FUCKING BALLS. I was like "well alright" through out the first two songs but now I remembered how ingenious Uroboros was along with the song. The fact that I would consider that album a musical masterpiece when I say the same with the Eagles "Hotel California" is what brings me to Dir en grey. Also along with Kisou...but to the point. What an outstanding and stunning performance. 10/10

How does Kyo sound VK? He has the one of the most unique voices I've ever heard. His range is amazing. He makes noises I didn't even know could come out of a human being and be interpreted as singing. If VK singers decide to try to copy him, how does that affect his singing capabilities or make him a visual kei singer if the vocal style originates with him?

And if you compare his vocals now to 2005/06, he has come a long way. He has almost reinvented his vocal style. If you claim that from 1997 to 2011, he has not changed his vocal style, then you are a fucking idiot. (excuse the language)

How does Kyo sound VK? He has the one of the most unique voices I've ever heard. His range is amazing. He makes noises I didn't even know could come out of a human being and be interpreted as singing. If VK singers decide to try to copy him, how does that affect his singing capabilities or make him a visual kei singer if the vocal style originates with him?

And if you compare his vocals now to 2005/06, he has come a long way. He has almost reinvented his vocal style. If you claim that from 1997 to 2011, he has not changed his vocal style, then you are a fucking idiot. (excuse the language)

let Herpes be, he still can't go on with the evolution of VK. he's stuck with the bands of yesterday. don't take his words srsly, and obviously don't take his review of LOTUS SRSLY since he doesn't like DIR EN GREY.

^ lmao....I'm surprised you even bothered reviewing this (let alone listening to it! xD) considering your unwavering disdain for the band. :P

At any rate, you may have rated Lotus just a bit higher than I would have. :]

And yeah, I don't see how Kyo can ever NOT sound VK....the dude pretty much raised a whole generation of copycats and soundalikes (even molested my poor Satsuki =().

They need to do some more funky shit like "Ryoujoku no Ame"...would definitely enjoy that.

I really liked the radio preview for Lotus (weird ikr), so had to give them a go. And exactly what you said, but diru fans seem to ignore the fact kyo himself was a ky roadie and in la:sadies or very early diru seemed to model his vocals on 94/5 kiyoharu

KOwcX2qcVW4

I've never heard 2005/6 kyo so I can't comment on that, but have 97/99 and he can reinvent his style with growling, squealing and whatever, but he still has the same nasal singing voice pretty much every vk vocalist had then he had in 1997. And it's not his fault, pretty much every vocalist who used to do vk and has moved on to non-vk music still sounds vk (Stray Pig Vanguard, S.Q.F., LC5, CUNE, there's tons of them. Kyo's no exception.)

And his range is amazing? LOTUS must be a bad example then, he was straining like crazy to hit most notes. Even with the autotune.

let Herpes be, he still can't go on with the evolution of VK. he's stuck with the bands of yesterday. don't take his words srsly, and obviously don't take his review of LOTUS SRSLY since he doesn't like DIR EN GREY.

I didn't know you were a VK creationist. AND KYOSAMA SAID "LET THERE BE VISUAL KEI" AND IT WAS SO. MINIKYOS SUCH A RUKI SPRANG FORTH. AND KYOSAMA SAW IT WAS GOOD.