Sign in to follow this  
Manabu

DIR EN GREY - Lotus

Lotus definitely needed some more progession, I'm not fond of OBSCURE's chugging guitars and I find Reiketsu Nariseba live to be better than the recording on Uroboros. It sounds better with all the energy in it.

I'd call this one average.

Reiketsu live was pretty good. Lotus and Obscure were just plain awful if you want my honest opinion.

- LOTUS I can't get a grip on yet...I can't even remember anything, save for the annoying chorus,

- the new OBSCURE is pretty awesome IMO,

- Reiketsu nariseba's live version rules and totally owns the studio version.

I feel Diru's more like an "album band" if you know what I mean... well, not bad. Lookin' forward to the album!

Reiketsu live was pretty good. Lotus and Obscure were just plain awful if you want my honest opinion.

My thoughts exactly. I can't believe how the hell did they manage to butcher OBSCURE so bad... The old version is superior to the new one in every way.

Okay I love full version of Lotus, but haven't heard new Obscure yet, just got home so I just got the single. I hope I love it. Obscure is one of my favorite Deg songs.

Lotus

Why, oh why did they have to go with THOSE guitars at the beginning. If it would have been something not-so-chuggy but still reminiscent of a harder song, it would have been cool. The chorus still comes a bit too early, but the single version added some of the build up i needed after hearing the radio version.

I'll have to repent and say that i enjoy the chorus very much now that it has a proper context and i have gotten used to the VCLEFX that layer Kyo's voice. The piano rocks, so does the production and the breakdown. Well basically the only things that bothers me here is the beginning, and the songs length. Should have been at least 5 minutes long if you ask me. 8 out of 10 for now, most likely will grow on me.

Obscure

Now this is hard one for me, for i am the last person to look ( well maybe Will is the last ) for a objective Dir en grey review. This is a mixed bag for me.

I really love the vocals, disjointed feel of the song, the weird effect half way through and the production. But fuck me the chugging riff chugs dick. CHUG-CHUG-CHUG-CHUG.

The song also feels hollow, this was problem for me with the original Obcure too, but i felt the live version they had played before this somewhat fixed that issue.

So basically i hate that they haven't fixed the hollowness and the riff just sucks way too much.

If i had to rate it i'd be either 3 out of 10. Now i just like it for a day or two because i am a fanboy and i suck.

Reiketsu Nariseba ( live )

Holy shit! This destroys the Uroboros version. Kyo somehow managed to do this and sound crazy, vicious and powerful. Well this is a Uroboros song after all and the feel that it has is just something perfect for me. All the minor sounds here and there really make it for me.

I liked Lotus a lot more when I heard it from the single than I did when I listened to it on youtube from the radio, but I'm not totally in love with it (a la Hageshisa to...), it's definitely not awful imho, but it could've been better. It does get me hyped for the possibility of an album this year. (Please?!)

New Obscure is fantastic in it's own right, as... let's say... a self cover... but as a re-recording... no... not really... because it will NEVER stand up to the original, but that's to be expected. If any of that makes any sense.

I don't listen to live songs ever, so I have no opinion on Reiketsu Nariseba Live.

EDIT:

I don't have a problem with chugging guitars... I kind of like it... I'm okay with being in the minority lol.

Lotus has the same problem as I did with Hage : they both are mash-ups of songs across UROBOROS. Doesn't exactly give me much hope for their new album.

And as mentioned on numerous occasions, absolutely no progressions in LOTUS and the chorus is way out of place, and it doesn't help that it's too long.

In regards to OBSCURE, same feeling is presented as with the other rerecordings, absolutely hate them. It doesn't help that the chorus is just ... awkward, and the vocals are strangely recorded.

And I still feel the same about live versions : NO REASON TO PUT IT ON A RELEASE UNLESS IT IS CHANGED FOR LIVE IN SOME WAY. It took away all the exoticness all of the album version, though KYO did sound better for some reason.

*it's been mentioned countless times that they're planning to release an album before summer, but we've seen that kind of promise from other bands so many times, hah. in many cases, over a year passes.

Just listened to RN live and I actually love it which is unusual for me. but in any case:

minre i think deg may not release an album before summer but logically they should be releasing one this year, its been over two years since their last album and they are major right? also, i thought i read that they were in the studio recording new songs?

according to facebook answered questions apparently the album version of lotus will be different in some way, hopefully....

and we shouldn't really be surprised if there is an album before summer or not, I guess that's the desired deadline. I actually hope for DIE to write some of the new songs, because Kaoru needs to take a break [as if their lack of releases can't be considered one]. there's still six months before summer in either case, let's just hope they don't rush things or rather... take their time. and yes, they should be recording songs. we really don't know how many songs they have down, so no need to speculate.

according to facebook answered questions apparently the album version of lotus will be different in some way, hopefully....

I definitely hope the album version's longer, because it still feels like a potentially really cool song that doesn't really get a chance to grow into anything special.

new OBSCURE's okay, but it ain't nothin' compared to the original

I never really liked reiketsu nariseba until I heard it live, and now I can't get enough live versions! KEEP 'EM COMIN'

6/10 or something, hageshisa was better~

Lotus is just a weak song. The vocal layering in the chorus is bad... sounds like shit. There are short parts which are enjoyable but none are impressive. The vocal melodies sounds like I've heard it all before and they are predictable too. It's just meh. It falls into nothingness compared to anything on Uroboros. Not enough power, while Uroboros was powerful from start to finish. 3/10

Obscure... WHAT THE HELL HAVE YOU DONE DIR EN GREY WHAT IS THIS?! I always wanted them to remake Obscure as I felt it could've been much better. Especially the guitar sounds and the contrast between the chorus and the verses could've been improved even more. And his vocals a bit too, obviously, because he became better. But they raped this song in the worst possible way. Vocals are worse. Guitars are very weak. The speeding up of the song is completely unnecessary. They sucked all the energy out of the original. Overall experience is a huge let down. It feels like a coverband did this. 2/10

Reiketsu Nariseba (Live) sounds like it's not done live at all actually. There is this very slight case of loose production that makes it sound somewhat live but I'm afraid it is not. Does anyone agree? To me it sounds like they covered themselves in the studio and polished it a bit more afterwards. Anyhow, it is a good version of this song still, and sadly it's the best one on the single. 7/10

I am very disappointed in DIR EN GREY and I wish I wouldn't liked it more but this single is just a fail on their part.

Wow, this aren't the kind of reviews I was expecting.

LOTUS

THIS IS THE SONG I WANTED THEM TO MAKE! I've noticed with this track and the last single, they've gone back to making the chorus the centrepiece of their songs. The riffs are both catchy and beautiful. Kyo shows off his clean vocal range nicely. Although the pitch he goes for in the chorus might be annoying to some, for me it works. Inclusion of piano towards the last chorus is nice too. It feels like a back to basics track from them, after experimenting so much on their last album. Miles better than Hageshisha. Gives me hope the next album will be something special.

9/10

OBSCURE (new ver)

I would have preferred the changes with the original lyrics of the song. It feels like a completly different song now, and doesn't even come close to the epic original. That being said, the composition changes are nice, so scores some points there.

5/10

Reiketsu Nariseba (Live)

There is no way this is live. It feels like a live performance in a studio, with crowd cheers inserted at the end. But I think I prefer this to the original recording, has more energy and passion.

8/10

So, O.K here's my review:

LOTUS

When i first hearing the teaser and radio rip, i was like "OMG *facebook thumb.png*"

And now after i heard the better bit rates rip of it, I like it even more.

Very melodic, just what i wish them to do for awhile now.

cuz srsly, unlike Hageshisa to.., where Kyo didn't do much efforts,

all he did just sings on the chorus, and doing some gibberish on most part of the song.

The only thing that good is the music.

But in LOTUS, he really did his job as a vocalist. Make this song good on both departments,

vocals and music.

OBSCURE

I must say, WTH did they do with the song?!!

It's not obscure anymore, but seems the teaser I've found on nico douga is not fake after all.

Musically, it's similiar sounding with ASoM. The aggressions and the way Kyo scream and sing.

Makes me giggled irl how they ruins a good song into mediocre. What a pity.

Reiketsu Nariseba (LIVE)

I don't really care for this track.

Any LIVE CONCERT that recorded into a CD whoever sang it, is pointless.

But i must give kudos how they manipulate the sounds to be stereo and

minimize screams and squeals from the audience.

OVERALL

being not very outstanding single, except for the title track.

makes me have to be fair with them,

although they'll forever be a band i always have faith with.

Production wise, no complaining, they're have the best studio to choose,

They're superstar now,

i'd be disappointed if they can't use their star power for making a better production for their music.

All instruments can be heard clearly, so it's an awesome job.

Given that, 2 1/2 meh's would do some justice.

ImageImageImage

Lotus could be waaaay better, but it's still pretty nice 8/10

The new obscure is ok , but I think I still prefer the older version 7/10

Reiketsu Nariseba is boring and awful. VAJRA would of done a better job, and that's something. 4/10

Simply.

I really like Lotus. I can understand thinking it needs more progression though. It does feel kind of short or as though there should be more build up but in someway the abruptness is also charming. I just enjoy the feeling of it.

Obscure remake is okay. There are parts that are better/cooler than others but as whole I don't think it necessarily improves on the original.

Live track has gotta be a studio live or something. At any rate, it's okay. missing some of the atmosphere of the original but kyo does sound a bit better.

I am really surprised with the reviews...I am actually agreeing with most of them!

Lotus was boring, plain and simple. It wasn't bad, but the chorus come way too soon and the triple vocal effect thing kyo has going here is kind of grating on the ears. This song really could use some added length, it felt very short. Over all 5/10

Obscure really wasn't as bad as I was expecting, and I think it may be because I am able to separate it from the original song. The original Obscure is a great song, but not one that I listen to often and I find myself skipping most of the time is come on random. I feel like this version, while inferior, is more listenable. 7/10

Reiketsu Nariseba... I never much cared for this song. The live performance of it here, though, really was great, Kyo does a great job of vocal delivery and everyone else is spot on, but so much of the magic is lost when putting live songs on CD. One, I have only heard one Live CD that has ever impressed me, and that is Epica's because of it's amazing production value. And while this song's quality isn't bad, it isn't good either, and since I am a stickler for quality, I will take the studio one any day. 4/10

All and all a meh release, and truthfully, that is about what I was expecting. I kind of feel like I download dir en grey stuff out of obligation now, havn't spun Hageshisa to... in over 4 months (8 for Zan). I just hope that next time around I will actually spin the songs more than a handful of times.

Lotus is fine, probably as generic as dozing green,

the new obscure is fucking terrible, I mean, I'm glad that at least it's not optimized for american teenager's ears with it's lack of taste and poor sound, but WHY did they call it obscure after all the crap this song went through?

It deserves a different title, and it's their most sucky re-recording, next to new ver. of undecided

live track is fine. didn't bother listening to it completely but unless Kyo is singing with his rectum at some point, it's not even worth listening through.

>mfw Keloid Milk live on the dvd sounds EXACTLY as good as it did on Kisou

I love kyo's voice when he chooses to sing throughout a song rather than scream *ducks oncoming bricks* lol so anyways here's my mini review.

Lotus - Loved it. Kyo sing's beautifully 9/10

Obscure - Not very good 4/10

Reiketsu - Meh 2/10 Again with the screaming...sigh

Overall 5/10

You may say i'm not a true diru fan, i dont really care. (Although i own 2 albums) I personally feel like kyo is waisting that beautiful voice of his when he screams through a song. I love the occasional growling or scream for effect in a powerful song, but constant screaming just isnt my style.