Sign in to follow this  
libertine

PSCompany and FREE-WILL

I believe a large amount of indie vkei labels distribute through FreeWill in some way or another, but aren't actually associated with them on a corporate level. I don't know much about officially how that relationship works, but my guess is that a label tells FW that they are paying to have a CD manufactured, and then gives them a fee to have it distributed to various music stores and venues.

The actual production of the album (artistic production, not physical production) more than likely has nothing to do with FW at all.

Edited by Peace Heavy mk II

from dynamite tommy's website:

As the former vocalist of the legendary band COLOR, Dynamite Tommy a.k.a. “Godfather of Visual Kei” is known to be the major influential force in the creation of the music genre and culture "visual kei". He founded record label “Free-Will” and has produced international rock sensation DIR EN GREY. His affiliated labels include artists such as BugLug, DOG inThePWO, Blu-BiLLioN, Arlequin, Pentagon, MERRY, Baroque, Dangan No Limit, LEZARD and A9 (Alice Nine). He has also produced bands Phantasmagoria and Kamaitachi that are no longer active, as well as Miyavi and the GazettE.

http://dynamitetommy.com/

which seems plausible since miyavi had Pata and Shinya of Luna Sea playing support for him in 2003 when his future looked bright and promising, and there's no way Tomomi Ozaki herself would have secured this having only successfully promoted a bunch of sponsored lives and Due le Quartz at that point.

PSC probably started on a money loan from D.T., which I vaguely remember being typical for VK industry from that alleged ex-VK executive interview that circulated around for a while, he namedrops Tommy a few times there as well.

iirc it used to have a table of connections between a bunch of labels, but it seems gone from the web, and I don't have it saved anywhere.

11 hours ago, libertine said:

Found it. Just had to look at a later capture. So based on that and the whole report, it's most likely that there's a feudal vassal kind of relationship, but perhaps no actual corporate ownership?

I think so.

there's no public legal data floating around (otherwise tanuki/other internet gossip would have already caught up on it) linking the two; Tomomi is the official ceo of PSC, and they're creatively independent from F-W, aside for sharing a few video directors for PVs/concert shootings with free-will bands, but I always assumed those ppl are just freelancers who happen to work with both.

18 hours ago, libertine said:

Found it. Just had to look at a later capture. So based on that and the whole report, it's most likely that there's a feudal vassal kind of relationship, but perhaps no actual corporate ownership?

That site says a dude named Yukika ran Speed Disk. Is that the same Yukika from Etcetera and Clutch, or some dude with the same name?

15 minutes ago, libertine said:

I found this thread about your guy. It does seem like he's very much into label shenanigans, but I'm not seeing much connecting him to Speed-Disk.

Yeah, and he seems to be too small time for something as successful as Speed Disk. 

I mean, it's not too far of a stretch that two people would both have the stage name "Snow Flower" lol

Hey guys, I found a table of connections (from an old Cure issue, vol. 12, 2004 ) that includes some of the biggest labels which existed during the "golden age" of vk. 

There's also a list with some of the most important bands of said labels next to it plus a timeline of the bands on the other side.

I find it pretty cool so I thought you guys might be interested in seeing it too! (sorry for the lame pictures but I couldn't scan the document cause it's a weird format and it won't fit in my scanner).

Spoiler

2zq7g61.jpg

Spoiler

dzjasl.jpg

Sign in to follow this