Shmilly

[HELP] Downloading from NicoNico

So in order to watch RAZOR's tour final, I took the plunge and invested in premium membership for NicoNico. But it's only possible to watch ended streams for a month or two after their original stream date, so I wondered if anyone knew a way to download from NicoNico, or even just record streaming video in HD.

Of course, if I can find a way to do this I might be able to help you all out by grabbing some other premium-only content or live streams... ;)

While you can use any rando flash video downloader plugin or inspect element to grab standard niconico vids, livestreams are a bit more difficult (even time-shifted ones) b/c of DRM. Here are some options:

1. When recording this, I captured the full-screened window in OBS. Obviously not ideal, but it werks :/.
  2.  http://clock08.tumblr.com/post/36799796458/namaroku-and-kakoroku (another set of instructions http://pakaianniob041.tumblr.com/post/18062039507/if-you-want-to-record-timeshift-broadcast-you) I'm unsure if it still works, since the posts are dated. It seems to be the most popular/user-friendly option.
  3. There are GitHub projects for niconico, but most of them don't have a GUI, so they require a background in their respective programming languages. I haven't messed w/ them b/c I don't have a premium acc. anymore.

I haven't had a premium account in years, so maybe someone else has a more up-to-date solution. I would use a HLS downloader for Akamai streams, but idk if they would work with niconico.

Edited by colorfuljinsei

1 hour ago, Shadowtear said:

Use youtube-dl with an account file.

Actually grabs the file instead of recording, it does require some knowledge though. (the non-gui)

Oh damn, I just realized I've been using an outdated ver. of youtube-dl packaged with youtube-dlg (the python gui.)

I don't use a gui w/ ffmpeg, so I need to just grab youtube-dl, lmao.

-

But yea, you can apparently use it now for timeshifted videos on niconico and livestreams. It does both flash vids and HLS streams ^_^. 

Download & Instructions: https://github.com/rg3/youtube-dl

Edited by colorfuljinsei

not to necropost here but it's really stupid to have to be a programming expert just to download a video ; w ;

I've looked at this site and I still don't know what the fuck to do. I give up on recording Nico videos...

2 minutes ago, suji said:

not to necropost here but it's really stupid to have to be a programming expert just to download a video ; w ;

I've looked at this site and I still don't know what the fuck to do. I give up on recording Nico videos...

I just use a chrome extension for downloading from Niconico.

This extension is mainly for downloading audio, but it has the ability to download video too.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/niconico-audio-extractor/eecoahjklhopckkiefihjloeidikepdh?hl=en

8 hours ago, Himeaimichu said:

I just use a chrome extension for downloading from Niconico.

This extension is mainly for downloading audio, but it has the ability to download video too.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/niconico-audio-extractor/eecoahjklhopckkiefihjloeidikepdh?hl=en

doesn't work with timeshifted broadcasts unfortunately. thanks anyhow

I think screen recording is (sadly) the only method for timeshifted streams for now, if someone knows a way for download would be useful

I did figure a way to download from NicoLive's timeshift service, although its not exactly a one-click solution. Should I create an account and write up a new thread somewhere (I stumbled across this by chance and also don't want to revive old threads lol)?

Edited by xyzstar
Turns out I had to create an account to post :p

Well either way I'd appreciate the write-up. I've done a little research and it looks like it might not be too complicated but if you've already done the ground work I'd be willing to try and implement it into youtube-dl.

So to come back to this months later, I ended up using Windows' built-in screen recorder (intended for gaming) to record the live stream. Of course I had to manually start and stop the recording, but I was watching the thing anyway. Because I watched it after-the-fact I was able to cut out the unnecessary parts and just record the live itself.

On 4/24/2019 at 5:27 PM, xyzstar said:

I did figure a way to download from NicoLive's timeshift service, although its not exactly a one-click solution. Should I create an account and write up a new thread somewhere (I stumbled across this by chance and also don't want to revive old threads lol)?

You can do this, but I still think it's easier to do with @Shmilly suggested. I would recommend OBS and just capture the desktop and sound while you watch it, but that's obviously not as convenient as using the packages. If you want to write a thread go for it.

On 4/28/2019 at 5:58 AM, Shmilly said:

So to come back to this months later, I ended up using Windows' built-in screen recorder (intended for gaming) to record the live stream. Of course I had to manually start and stop the recording, but I was watching the thing anyway. Because I watched it after-the-fact I was able to cut out the unnecessary parts and just record the live itself.

I didn't even know about that! Even though the broadcast I wanted to record has expired, thank you so much!

Bumping this in the hopes that somebody can offer help. I keep getting this error nowadays when I try to load nicovideo and haven't been able to get it to stop:

お使いの環境では動画を再生できません

niconico動作環境をご確認下さい。

Can't exactly download anything since nothing will load anymore. Nicozon is an alternative for watching some videos, at least, but I can't manage to download from there either.

Edited by SakuraFox512